Gratuities

Ginny10

Last cruise, I tipped the pool bar staff extra because they gave great service, not to get them to do so.

You don't need to tip extra. Unless YOU want to.

The cheapskates are those that remove the auto gratuities to save money for THEM.

I agree.

There is potentially the chance that the two cabins have different stateroom attendants, so you'd be auto tipping one stateroom attendant and then tipping in cash to the other stateroom attendant. Would your cash tip be equal to the auto tip? Would you cash tip the dining room attendants the same amount that is auto tipped to them from the other cabin? It's my suggestion to just leave the auto tips on both. Maybe you are overthinking it.

I do not care how people rationalize removing the auto tip and then try and say they want to pay those who they want to give extra think they are fooling anyone! Why cant they be honest and just say...I am a tightwad and I intend to stiff the people that worked hard to make my cruise wonderful?. When they go to the purser and have the autotips removed they are done. Do it if you want to but dont say it within my hearing expect to be embarrassed. If you cannot afford to tip, you cannot afford to cruise.

Doug

I do not care how people rationalize removing the auto tip and then try and say they want to pay those who they want to give extra think they are fooling anyone! Why cant they be honest and just say...I am a tightwad and I intend to stiff the people that worked hard to make my cruise wonderful?. When they go to the purser and have the autotips removed they are done. Do it if you want to but dont say it within my hearing expect to be embarrassed. If you cannot afford to tip, you cannot afford to cruise.

Doug

Do you argue w people at purser desk? I've never had a need to go to GS on a cruise unless my keycard stops working or is lost.

Excellent point about staterooms not having the same steward. In fact, I think it's rare that adjoining staterooms have the same attendant--could be wrong, but don't recall ever seeing one of ours right next door, and seems like the rooms our attendant was responsible for were sort of "staggered" down the hall. I have no idea why, but I do know they definitely don't work in a compact block of 10 rooms--or whatever the number they are responsible for.

I dont argue....I just tell them they are tightwads and move along.

This is conduct you have engaged in? I'd be careful harassing folks like that. Some will move on, some will call security, some will engage. Be the bigger adult and don't try to start trouble. Besides there are always people that tip more than you do, it would be just as wrong for them to treat you that way.

Excellent point about staterooms not having the same steward. In fact, I think it's rare that adjoining staterooms have the same attendant--could be wrong, but don't recall ever seeing one of ours right next door, and seems like the rooms our attendant was responsible for were sort of "staggered" down the hall. I have no idea why, but I do know they definitely don't work in a compact block of 10 rooms--or whatever the number they are responsible for.

Connecting rooms could be at a cutoff, but generally room attendant assigned rooms are in a linear fashion since they work off of one cart and carts can't get by each other

Thanks, that's probably what I will do but I'm worried it will be frowned upon if I'm not individually tipping too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People are not always individually tipping. That's why you are paying the daily fee. At the end of your cruise then you can give the extras if you can. Apositive review in writing is also welcomed.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking she would like to tip the individuals personally that she interacts with on a daily basis during her holiday but as she's already said doesn't want the people who also works hard to not receive any tip. And that comment is exactly what made me think twice about asking a question, shame really that these forums are here for this but people are made to feel they can't ask questions in fear of negative people commenting

Why would you screw around with people's livelihood so you can feel good? Why are the behind the scene people only entitled to half the normal amount?

I think a majority of people - and what we usually do - is leave the auto tips in place and don't tip extra. There is ABSOLUTELY no obligation to tip individuals if you leave auto tips in place. The one time we received extra services from our room steward we did tip her a bit extra and she seemed genuinely surprised and grateful to receive it. No one will be holding out their hands or passing out envelopes looking for extra tips.

You definitely do not have to tip more. That being said - on our last cruise, I did have a stack of singles (we needed small bills for other things like tipping porters etc) and I often kept some with me. If I felt I got great service at the bar - I definitely used one. If it was just okay service, the auto grat 18% was all they got.

Have to agree about the bar service -- we leave autograts in place and tip extra at the end if the service is good in general, but for bar service we don't tip extra unless we find a bar or bartender that we really like. A couple of the bartenders last cruise were just jerks...one guy made a completely different drink than what I had ordered and then barked at me to take it because it was better anyways. Seriously? LOVED the bartender at the RBar on LOS. I had always wanted to try a chocolate martini, and he explained how to make it, took the time to recommend other drinks, and was great. The next night when it was busy, he pointed to a martini glass and it was ready by the time I made it to the bar.... I would tip for that kind of service on a cruise or anywhere else, and we left small tips each time and a nice tip the last day.

Because I initially planned to remove and tip individuals, I know people do this but as I said didn't want the behind the scenes staff to not receive any tip. In an ideal world I would leave the gratuities on both rooms and tip individuals generously however that's not a financial option for us.

After listening to the useful advice I will probably be leaving it on both rooms. So my next question is would you tip each day, I'm thinking you will have a lot of interaction with your room attendant so would you tip him/her extra each day, at the end?

so its not a financial option but after listening to people on this board you are going to do it anyway? there is an inconsistency in your posts. Tipping above and beyond after leaving the auto tips on is probably best but not if its not financially an option. Leaving the auto tips only is perfectly acceptable

so its not a financial option but after listening to people on this board you are going to do it anyway? there is an inconsistency in your posts. Tipping above and beyond after leaving the auto tips on is probably best but not if its not financially an option. Leaving the auto tips only is perfectly acceptable

As I said, will leave it on both rooms and tip. We will not to be able to tip as GENEROUSLY as we would like but will tip what we can afford!

Reading these threads I'm starting to worry that leaving it at the prepaid grats will look like I'm a cheapskate. For example, I've read several times about tipping bartenders will result in better service. I don't want stronger drinks but I do want timely, polite service. Is that extra dollar per drink expected at this point? I thought the 18%woukd be okay but maybe we should bring a stack of singles?

I think you may be thinking about the Diamonds and above who get free drinks without any tip being automatically added. I always tip generously when I use my coupons and I always get really prompt service and great drinks when they see me coming.

Doug

I don't believe in tipping. It is simply an act of extortion and a way to push guilt on to others for not tipping. If you don't like you job, vote with your feet. It is a free world!

I don't believe in tipping. It is simply an act of extortion and a way to push guilt on to others for not tipping. If you don't like you job, vote with your feet. It is a free world!

It's when I read statements like that - you don't believe in tipping - that I wish tips/service charge could not be removed.

I would be fine if it was included with the cruise fare. Then, there would be no expectation of tipping.

You indicated you didn't believe in tipping - now you say you would be fine if it were included in your cruise fare.

Sorry, your comments are contradictory. Why can't you look at the daily billed amount as a service charge and part of your fare; or prepay as part of your cruise bill, just like port fees/taxes. Then you would be done with.

Your previous comments were pretty emphatic - you don't believe in tipping. If staff didn't like it you suggested working elsewhere.

You indicated you didn't believe in tipping - now you say you would be fine if it were included in your cruise fare.

Sorry, your comments are contradictory. Why can't you look at the daily billed amount as a service charge and part of your fare; or prepay as part of your cruise bill, just like port fees/taxes. Then you would be done with.

Your previous comments were pretty emphatic - you don't believe in tipping. If staff didn't like it you suggested working elsewhere.

I don't believe in tipping and believe as an institution is corrupts the tipper and the person tipped. People should work because they are getting a decent wage or because they love their job. Not because they expect additional remuneration from me or others for doing their job with a happy face. Once I buy a cup of copy, no tip should be expected liked, desired, or hoped for. Get rid of the tip (or guilt) jars. If I pay for a cruise that includes tips then I am not actually tipping. The cruise line is paying them a wage. However, no worker on that ship should expect, desire, or hope for an additional cent. It's quite simple, actually.

I don't believe in tipping and believe as an institution is corrupts the tipper and the person tipped. People should work because they are getting a decent wage or because they love their job. Not because they expect additional remuneration from me or others for doing their job with a happy face. Once I buy a cup of copy, no tip should be expected liked, desired, or hoped for. Get rid of the tip (or guilt) jars. If I pay for a cruise that includes tips then I am not actually tipping. The cruise line is paying them a wage. However, no worker on that ship should expect, desire, or hope for an additional cent. It's quite simple, actually.

Ok. You can think this way. But you thinking this way won't get employers to pay their tipped employees a fair wage. The fact is that cruise ship employees don't get paid a fair wage and they rely on tips to make up the difference. Right or wrong, that is how it is.

That's why I like the auto gratuities. I typically don't tip on top of that because the cruise line is telling me that paying this will ensure that the employees I deal with receive a fair pay.

I would actually prefer they make it mandatory. I don't understand how when the cruise lines info is 'in the unlikely event you are unsatisfied you can lower them' turns into 'It's discretionary so I'll just take them off and do as I like with the money'. I read that as the line will assume the employees you dealt with provided inadequate service if you take them off. I don't see how that's preferable to anyone involved.

Not really. For many if not most of the crew members, working elsewhere is not an option. If they could make a living wage in their own countries near family and friends, don't you think they would? When was the last time you encountered an American scrubbing toilets or mopping floors on a cruise ship? I've sailed on many different lines and have never seen it. Without knowing you, I'm saying your lofty belief on tipping is simply a feeble rationalization for being cheap. Have you ever eaten at a nice restaurant in NYC and walked out without leaving a tip?