What to do after disembarkation and a late flight?

We were in the same position a couple of years ago. The cruise ship did a Hollywood beach stay and then onto the airport. Our main luggage remained on a coach, our hand luggage was secured in a luggage area beachside. We then had a couple of hours to get lunch and walk along the promenade before going onto the airport.

Better than spending hours at the airport. Really can not remember if this was X or RCCL but I am sure there will be tour and airport drop offs you can go for.

We were in the same position a couple of years ago. The cruise ship did a Hollywood beach stay and then onto the airport. Our main luggage remained on a coach, our hand luggage was secured in a luggage area beachside. We then had a couple of hours to get lunch and walk along the promenade before going onto the airport.

Better than spending hours at the airport. Really can not remember if this was X or RCCL but I am sure there will be tour and airport drop offs you can go for.

The OP is sailing out of Miami and if I am reading it correctly they are

flying home from Miami.

You took a Hollywood Beach excursion and the bus drove you back down

to the Miami airport?

The OP is sailing out of Miami and if I am reading it correctly they are

flying home from Miami.

You took a Hollywood Beach excursion and the bus drove you back down

to the Miami airport?

Yes we are flying from Miami to Los Angeles. Celebrity really does not offer much of anything to do.

Sorry,

Just checked cruise history.

We were on the Allure mooring in FLD. The trip then took us to Hollywood beach and the airport (Miami).

Just looked at Celebrity website, I think there is a 'Hop on Hop off' option. I could be wrong (again).

Hope you do find something nice to do.

We did the Everglades airboat tour. A large tour bus picked us up at the port & took us (with all of our luggage underneath) out to the Everglades. We had a great time., alligators & all. On the way back the bus stopped first at Ft Lauderdale airport & then went on to Miami airport. We left port about 8:30 am & arrived at Miami airport at 3:30pmish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the Everglades airboat tour. A large tour bus picked us up at the port & took us (with all of our luggage underneath) out to the Everglades. We had a great time., alligators & all. On the way back the bus stopped first at Ft Lauderdale airport & then went on to Miami airport. We left port about 8:30 am & arrived at Miami airport at 3:30pmish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting. Do you remember who the tour company was?

Sounds interesting. Do you remember who the tour company was?

Usually that is a Celebrity tour, check your My Celebrity under shore excursions for the last day. They have had that Everglades trip for years.

Other options are rent a car for the day or get a day room at a close hotel, relax at pool all day. One time we did a day room and the laundry was next to the pool, by the time we were leaving I had all the laundry done which obviously made things easier when we got home and this was for four people.

Be advised that the Celebrity tour in Miami had been cancelled when we were looking to kill the time. Make sure you have a Plan B.

One option is to rent a car for the day and head to Key Biscayne, the University of Miami, beaches, take an airboat tour in the Everglades, etc.

We are on Elcipse out of Miami in 4/2016 and are considering a return flight leaving Miami at 6:30 PM. Anyone have thoughts about how late you can disembark and what we could do between that time and flight time other than sit in the airport.

Hi OP,

What I usually do with a late flight is to call local hotels and ask about a day rate. You would be surprised at how many offer this which in most cases will include a room for you to freshen up in afterwards. The bell hops will store your luggage for you right off the lobby so all you would need to do is have a change of clothes in a carry on. You can spend the day on the beach, go the room and change and grab a cab to the airport when you are ready. Have a great trip!

Neda

Hi OP, What I usually do with a late flight is to call local hotels and ask about a day rate. You would be surprised at how many offer this which in most cases will include a room for you to freshen up in afterwards. The bell hops will store your luggage for you right off the lobby so all you would need to do is have a change of clothes in a carry on. You can spend the day on the beach, go the room and change and grab a cab to the airport when you are ready. Have a great trip!

Neda

Such a good idea. How late have they usually let you keep the room on those day rates? We may be stuck taking a red eye flight out of California that doesn't leave until 11pm. Would we be able to have it until 6pm or 7pm? Or do you think they'd be at least willing to hold the luggage until 9pm, even if I had to give up room? I guess we could kill time having dinner somewhere.

Such a good idea. How late have they usually let you keep the room on those day rates? We may be stuck taking a red eye flight out of California that doesn't leave until 11pm. Would we be able to have it until 6pm or 7pm? Or do you think they'd be at least willing to hold the luggage until 9pm, even if I had to give up room? I guess we could kill time having dinner somewhere.

You would need to make some calls and see which hotels do this......

Hopefully mn1111 can tell you where they stayed but not all FLL hotels

have "day rates".....you might just make a reservation and then leave

when you need to leave. In other words, pay for a hotel room but

not stay there overnight.

You would need to make some calls and see which hotels do this......Hopefully mn1111 can tell you where they stayed but not all FLL hotels have "day rates".....you might just make a reservation and then leave when you need to leave. In other words, pay for a hotel room but

not stay there overnight.

Thanks, Lois. I hijacked OP's question a teeny bit...our flight is actually from CA back to FL. So was just wondering in general how those day rates worked. But yup. Will have to make some calls.

Hi,

Everyone is different with how long you can keep the day rate for, but it is usually until at least 6:00. Lois is correct that not all hotels allow this, but you can try Priceline and name your price and just pay for a full night which in some cases can be less than a day rate would be anyway. I would check Hyatt though as many of them do offer a day rate option.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with Miami hotels as I've never sailed out of there before (I have an aversion to too many sea days). I usually sail from San Juan and normally spend the day in Dorado as our flight is almost always after 8:00PM. Last time we went to the Ritz Carlton Dorado beach for the day which was very pricy (it used to be a Hyatt and was a great deal to spend a day there when it was). I have sailed out of Port Canaveral a few times and actually just paid the full rate to hang out at one of the Universal Hotels because I have an annual pass and the discount for that was low enough. We also do this on many of the islands when we want a beach day and will either pay for a room for the night or take a day rate. This works out great if we are considering doing a land vacation at a certain location to get a feel for a property before committing to spending a week there. Good Luck with your plans!

Neda

Have come to find out that a lot of the hotels are not offering day rates as it is PRIME Spring Break season. They are offering to pay fro the full night before and then get late check out the day of:eek:

Changed plans and are now flying back earlier. Thanks to all for your thoughts:)

Hi this is what we do-- In Miami: We get a ride to airport, rent the cheapest car, spend the day around South Beach- do a movie, have lunch, etc.

In Fort Lauderdale: We also just rent a car, spend the day doing similar as in Miami-- Two years ago when off a Princess ship, it was Easter Sunday. So because of that, we purchased for about $50 a day room at the Rodeway Inn. For that we had a clean room with excellent wifi. The nearby mall had a movie theater, TGIF etc. which were open. Because it was Easter Sunday, our choices were limited, so we did pay to have a room available. But the next cruise from Florida will not end on a holiday, so car rental, no day room necessary--- just made the most sense. We usually fly on Jet Blue, are anxious to fly back the day the cruise ends, so the flights are usually 6-7 pm.

Hope my suggestions help. Anita

The "hop-on, hop-off" tour shorex advertises is NOT hop-on, hop-off; but could be OK if you just want to be driven around and see an overview of the Miami Beach area. It will terminate at MIA. I'm sure the ship will have an excursion available for you to take for people with late flights.

(See this thread for my take on the hop-on/hop-off tour: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193226)

We booked a cheap room on Priceline then left our bags with the concierge and stayed by the pool until check in. That way we could keep the room as late as we wanted and have somewhere to shower/change/relax before going to the airport

When we did the day pass, the Rodeway Inn was the only place for that- it was I think around $50 April 2014. It didn't occur to me to do what you did with Price line. Just curious, when did you do that?- what hotel/motel, and how much was it? Rodeway Inn was a dump, but good enough for us as we had no other day room options--

When we did the day pass, the Rodeway Inn was the only place for that- it was I think around $50 April 2014. It didn't occur to me to do what you did with Price line. Just curious, when did you do that?- what hotel/motel, and how much was it? Rodeway Inn was a dump, but good enough for us as we had no other day room options--

Sorry, can't remember details as it was about 5 years ago. All I can remember is that we bid for a hotel near the airport. It was fine for our needs, being cheap, clean and having a pool, but wouldn't be the hotel/area we would choose to stay for a holiday

Edited by suekay

But I told what you did to my dh and he too thought that was brilliant. I think what we will do if we decide we do want to have a day room next time we are in Fort Lauderdale or Miami-- I will first bid real low on a 5 star, then a 4 star. I think we would be willing to pay maybe at the most $70 if hotel is much nicer than the Rodeway Inn (won't take much, lol)

Any way, I am so glad I read this thread. Now I have a new plan for hopefully a better "day" room in the future! Anita

We used to take a ship tour who kept your bags and then dropped at the airport. You can also rent a car and go sightseeing and drop the car at the airport. What we started doing last year is book the flight a day later and for 1 nights stay we get 2 full days in Miami

We've taken a cab to Coconut Grove to drop us off at a central hotel. On arrival asked the bell hop to store our bags for the day ($20 usually works) while we have a coffee there and then spend the day walking around Coconut Grove and having a leisurely lunch in the sunshine. It's easy to spend 6 hours or so there.