Gifts for staff member ideas?

LHARTWICK

The HW is on the list of the four people included in the pre-pay or auto-gratuity. Pretty much end of story, as far as I'm concerned.

Karen -- I agree! I think folks don't understand how much their head waiter actually does -- until they have a problem that requires that head waiter's expertise. But generally speaking, if you liked your food and service in the MDR -- your head waiter was definitely a big (if not visible) part of that experience. :cool:

Karen -- I agree! I think folks don't understand how much their head waiter actually does -- until they have a problem that requires that head waiter's expertise. But generally speaking, if you liked your food and service in the MDR -- your head waiter was definitely a big (if not visible) part of that experience. :cool:

Absolutely agreed!

Hope you're doing well. :)

By your "if you do not see them, it means that they are doing their job so you should tip them logic", there are lots of invisible people on the ship who should be tipped. What about the hotel manage - if there are no problems with the people under him, does he get a tip? Same question re the chief engineer.

My logic is that you do not tip management or high level staff. The Head Waiter may not be management but he is certainly high level staff.

DON

It really doesn't matter what your logic is, if the head waiter is on the list to be tipped or share in pre-paid gratuities, the cruise line has made that decision and they seemigly do not consider them high level staff. It's also not just a matter of tipping other invisble crew on the ship since a laundrey worker for instance, is not providing the same important services as the head waiter. All special requests must go through him as well. If things are running smoothly in the MDR, he is the one ultimately responsible for that, as in,overseeing all the waiters and making sure the waiters are doing their job.

There is a whole hierarchy for staff and the hotel manager and chief engineer are among the higher ones. The head waiter is not a pion but he is not a high level either. Google will bring up the typical hierarchy.

I was reading CC's "13 More Things Not To Do On Your First Cruise" list and noticed a tip - "Don't Neglect the Staff". It suggested to bring a gift, such as candy, to give to staff members during your cruise. I thought this was a great idea. Have any other CC members done this, and, if so, what did you give them? Did you have something small for crew members you encountered and who helped you or did you just bring something for your cabin stewards? The crew members work so hard to make our cruises enjoyable , and I'm a firm believer in saying Thank You in whatever way I can, even if it is a small gesture. I'm sure they deal with enough cranky cruisers because some people are never satisfied - a smile and a Thank You can go a long way!

Usually I'll read those "lists" or articles just to find the items that are so wrong. And this is one that is a major misconception. If you give your cabin steward little "tchotchke" that representing where you come from (which may just take up space and not really something they'll send home to the kids) or candy (maybe they're allergic or don't eat it), they'll smile and thank you profusely. But it doesn't mean it'll be appreciated like cash would (and something they can send home to family or buy something they need). You don't know your cabin steward ahead of time so how would you know what they want or need?

These folks are WORKING because they want to be paid MONEY...give them the gift of cash, and they can purchase what they'd like!

I know folks think this is a good idea, but in reality, do you bring gifts for the housekeeper in your hotel...or the bellman....or valet? Of course not! So, if you feel someone goes above and beyond, cash is why they work.....and is what they really want!

I've worked places where, instead of a bonus, we were given a "gift"...turkey or ham, etc....I HATE that! Give me money, and I'll buy what I want!

I used to work at a company that would give gifts (bartered from our clients) along with the bonus at holiday time. Immediately, workers will be trying to find a store they can take the item to for a cash refund...and once the info got on the office grapevine, the office would be deserted at lunch time with workers heading to said store. :rolleyes:

Head waiter means the waiter who is in charge of your personal dining team with the others called "assistant waiter or team waiter". The maître'd is not the head waiter and is not included in the auto tips on most cruise lines. The Maitre'ds should be tipped if they provide a personal service for you.

Somehow on the cruises I've gone on, it seems that those directly serving me are the waiter and the assistant waiter. The head waiter will come around and ask if you want to make ressies for specialty restaurants (which we don't do) or make up specialty dishes to serve up to everyone as a treat in addition to the food listed on the menu (on our last cruise, the head waiter made a big deal about making a type of pasta for everyone, but by the time he got to actually starting to make it, we were ready to leave and did so. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

I guess if you had requests for him, then he went the extra mile. But if he's included in the tipping pool, he's covered. So I think it's one of those personal decisions about tipping extra above the auto-grats.

Just returned on Oasis 6/21-6/28/14 Western Caribbean.

I did prepaid gratuities when booking. When we first went to our stateroom I asked the steward for 4 extra pillows. There were four of us traveling, DW, 2 DD's and myself. With the 2 girls we are kinda high maintenance, so I tipped him $40 cash day 1. Throughout the cruise he was great to us, very friendly and helpful. When we were getting off in Cozumel I asked if he needed anything, which he said he did not. We brought him back a couple of tee shirts which he was very thankful for. On the last day we gave him a few things we did not use during the cruise including a nice bottle of wine. I also gave him an additional $40. He was by far the nicest crew member we encountered on this cruise. We also tipped out a few other crew members who went the extra mile to make our trip that much better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These threads all take the same course and comments are generally by the same people.

Some crew members I know well are still using gifts I have given them, so if you feel you want to take gifts for them, JUST DO IT !!!!!

If you are selective in what you give them, they will not toss it in the trash as some have speculated.

Edited by swedish weave

By your "if you do not see them, it means that they are doing their job so you should tip them logic", there are lots of invisible people on the ship who should be tipped. What about the hotel manage - if there are no problems with the people under him, does he get a tip? Same question re the chief engineer.

My logic is that you do not tip management or high level staff. The Head Waiter may not be management but he is certainly high level staff.

DON

I trust you are being facetious including two of the ship's highest officers. But in the event you are serious, how much to you recommend tipping the Captain for finding calm seas and sunny weather?

There are tipped positions and non-tipped positions. The marine side are all non-tipped, as are the officers on the hotel side. Below that on the hotel side it might get sticky. My logic is go with the auto-tip, let the cruise line sort it out, and tip extra to the restaurant, housekeeping or bar staff that goes above and beyond.

The best gift you can give(to practically any employee anywhere) is to include their name and specific thanks to them in your comment card.

Better yet, an additional letter to their boss.

This can lead to potential raises, bonus, and/or promotions.

A plate of Hershey Kisses is cute and all, but really which you rather get at your place of employment?

These threads all take the same course and comments are generally by the same people.

Some crew members I know well are still using gifts I have given them, so if you feel you want to take gifts for them, JUST DO IT !!!!!

If you are selective in what you give them, they will not toss it in the trash as some have speculated.

Please share with us what you were able to provide them they are still able to use? Sounds like you came up with a very good idea. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks.

Please share with us what you were able to provide them they are still able to use? Sounds like you came up with a very good idea. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks.

The only thing I'd even consider giving a crew member is a puny flashlight. I've had several crew members ask for mine that's hooked on my lanyard. I always carry several with me.

Otherwise cash is king.

interesting comments. Of course its ok to give a small gift in addition to the normal tip. But what should also give? small flashlight is a good idea. It varies. In Cuba were its hard to get basic necessities that is something else. I have left my left over antibiotics in Russia. But in general on a ship the crew live in small quarters and want they in general want is cash. Candy? personal tastes varies. Liquor? many don't drink. a pack of cigerettes? they can get them cheaper then you... They are taught to thank you no matter what it is and then throw it in a bin in the crew dinning room for people to pick out if they want to.

and BTW head waiter is normally the person in charge of the sub area you are dining in. generally their function is to take your order and supervisor the waiter who bring you the food. If you mean the maitre d or some similar title they are in charge of the dinning room and responsible for your overall dinning experience. sometimes if you never have to see them except for them occasionally coming by and asking you about how the experience is they are really doing their job. The best maitre d knows what is going on and corrects any problem without you asking and in general is worth the .50 per day or so you tip them or included in the daily tips..IMO

If I decide to give a member of the staff something extra (aside from rave reviews on a comment card) I will give them what I want to give them. If they don't like it or want it the can do with it what they wish. I make it a point never to let the opinions of strangers dictate the type of gifts I give.

Ah, yes, you write this on every tipping thread you stumble onto. And again you have clearly proven that in your case the act of giving a gift has nothing to to with the recipient, but everything to do about your "feel good about myself" concerns. Giving a gift should ONLY be for the benefit of the recipient. Giving a gift with no regard for the recipient's needs or wants can only be described as a self serving act. :(

Edited by boogs

Swedish Weave has commented on those other threads he refers to that he cruises often and has gotten to know some of the staff personally. His situation is much different that for the majority who cruise occasionally and will only come across individual crew members once in their lifetime. When you know someone, you have a much better idea of what they like, what they need, and what the can use. Selecting a gift for someone you know is easier.

But for someone you see a few minutes a day while they are providing a service to you, and you will never see them again after the cruise, you don't know enough about them to select appropriate gifts.

I consider Swedish Weave's advice virtually unusable due to the nature of his friendships with the crew he gifts and how it differs from the majority's relationship with their service staff.

He also write "comments are generally by the same people", as to minimize whatever value those people are providing. The same could be said about his participation in these discussions, including this one. :rolleyes:

Edited by fortinweb

Ah, yes, you write this on every tipping thread you stumble onto. And again you have clearly proven that in your case the act of giving a gift has nothing to to with the recipient, but everything to do about your "feel good about myself" concerns. Giving a gift should ONLY be for the benefit of the recipient. Giving a gift with no regard for the recipient's needs or wants can only be described as a self serving act. :(

Then this will really hiss you off...

Over that last several months (almost a year) my attitude to tipping has changed. It is primarily because I have seen a steady (and in some places not so gradual) decline in service virtually everywhere. Having cruised on RCI twice now I have an idea of the standard of service that they (the corporation) strives to achieve.

Therefore I give the normal and customary tip. If you (the service provider) want more than the normal amount then you need to demonstrate you deserve a larger tip.

If "cost saving measures" have increased the work load or "damaged" moral of the workers that is an issue the corporation needs to address.

Then this will really hiss you off...

Over that last several months (almost a year) my attitude to tipping has changed. It is primarily because I have seen a steady (and in some places not so gradual) decline in service virtually everywhere. Having cruised on RCI twice now I have an idea of the standard of service that they (the corporation) strives to achieve.

Therefore I give the normal and customary tip. If you (the service provider) want more than the normal amount then you need to demonstrate you deserve a larger tip.

If "cost saving measures" have increased the work load or "damaged" moral of the workers that is an issue the corporation needs to address.

Why would this "hiss" me off? I leave the automatic tips in place, because they always provided me the basic service level it is for. If the staff provides better than expected service levels, I will give them additional tips. I would say that many times they earn it, but occasionally they don't. I would bet that the majority of cruisers do the same. Reward extra for extra service.

There is nothing to get "hissed" off about that responsible approach. :confused:

Edited by boogs

Twice, you say? I guess that makes you the resident expert. :)

I have cruised on RCI about twenty times over the last 40 years. I have seen all the changes. Yes, things have certainly changed, some for the better, and some for the worst. But all in all, considering the reasonable prices we now pay for cruises, I believe the product and service levels they now provide are the best they have done in all those years.

But, I will defer to your "expert" opinion since you seem to have such a wealth of knowledge on the evolution of RCI.

Where did I say ANYTHING about being an expert on ANY subject. Why don't you get off you high horse?

I do not need to frequent any business, be it a grocery store or cruise line, 40 times to get a sense of their standards. If you do then some would suggest you need to be more aware of things around you.

I also said nothing about the prices we pay for a cruise. They are reasonable compared to other types of vacations. Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes they are significantly more expensive. If a company, in this case a cruise line, wants to hold down their cost to the customer by cutting their cost in other areas that is a strategic decision that is made by senior staff (hopefully with some thought).

The point I was making is if the savings measures of a company adversly impacts me then I take my business elsewhere...a strategic decision on my part. Compensating service employees because working conditions/work loads have changed is not my job.

I was reading CC's "13 More Things Not To Do On Your First Cruise" list and noticed a tip - "Don't Neglect the Staff". It suggested to bring a gift, such as candy, to give to staff members during your cruise. I thought this was a great idea. Have any other CC members done this, and, if so, what did you give them? Did you have something small for crew members you encountered and who helped you or did you just bring something for your cabin stewards? The crew members work so hard to make our cruises enjoyable , and I'm a firm believer in saying Thank You in whatever way I can, even if it is a small gesture. I'm sure they deal with enough cranky cruisers because some people are never satisfied - a smile and a Thank You can go a long way!

These people come from poor background to work for money, and they want cash. There is no room for them to keep anything else. They have tiny cabins with bunk beds. Imagine getting a greeting card or a cooking instead of a Christmas bonus - you wouldn't be happy.

The tips that are added to your account daily must go into a pool, divided among all employees in that pool. If you want to give additional, feel free, but please give cash.

wow...this thread went...well....damn :D

so anyway....I truly mean no offense to anyone when I say this....

but it just seems so bizarre to offer a tangible gift(other than money) to someone who has been serving you for your stay

Do you do this for land vacations as well? It's fascinating! Do you bring back a Disney World ball cap to the bellhop?

I sincerely apologize if anyone took offense. That was not my intention.....it's just bizarre though