Celebrities on Seabourn

divsec

It's great to know that celebrities chose to holiday with Seabourn, and if they post in the forum they will identify themselves or not. I had the pleasure of travelling with 3 accomplished entertainers last week on Odyssey, but I wouldn't dream of naming them. Good luck and fortune to all who value their private lives.

I was on a SB cruise some time ago and we had a rather famous actor and his wife onboard. They were kind and polite in their interactions with the crew and in no way attention seeking or expecting special treatment. They were just normal guests. It's natural to me to defend their privacy and not name them.

However, if I had the misfortune to be on a cruise with a celebrity who was boorish, 'special' or attention seeking, I'd be very tempted to name them here in addition to describing their bad behaviour.

One important point is whether they were actually a guest speaker, or similar, or just on board for a holiday they paid for themselves.

My encounters have not been terribly exciting, apart from Spike Milligan, sadly then not long before he died. The others were on holiday, all pleasant to be around and not generally bothered by other passengers as they were not well known except in the UK., and were on American ships. We were quite surprised that Cilla Black, then in her full pomp on the dating programme, was only recognised by the 8 or so Brits on board. I am sure she was pleased, as we all just said hello and smiled, and left her and Bobby in peace.

I was on a SB cruise some time ago and we had a rather famous actor and his wife onboard... They were just normal guests. It's natural to me to defend their privacy and not name them.

I am not the least bit interested in celebrities but can't help but wonder, was this actor in disguise, such that only you could recognize him? Otherwise, I'm a tad confused about the need to "defend their privacy." After all, they chose to go on a public ship with a guest capacity of 458 plus >300 crew, did they not? If they were concerned about privacy, might they not have opted to charter a private yacht (or sail on their own)?

Edited by sfvoyage

I am not the least bit interested in celebrities but can't help but wonder, was this actor in disguise, such that only you could recognize him? Otherwise, I'm a tad confused about the need to "defend their privacy." After all, they chose to go on a public ship with a guest capacity of 458 plus >300 crew, did they not? If they were concerned about privacy, might they not have opted to chartered a private yacht (or sail on their own yacht)?

If the cruise was a long while ago it could've been on one of the little sisters in which case your passenger count would be way off ;)

Host Dan, i havent seen those two people for a long long time, i remember them cruising alot on the triplets.

;) I don't know about the driver, but the pop star was on one of the big sisters a few years ago. My friend's mother is a huge fan and was like a giddy teen admiring her hero from a distance for the duration of the cruise.

Save

;) I don't know about the driver, but the pop star was on one of the big sisters a few years ago. My friend's mother is a huge fan and was like a giddy teen admiring her hero from a distance for the duration of the cruise.

Save

I hung out with him and his friends most often when we cruised together. Super nice!

I remember on Seabourn Sun (current HAL Princendam), they had a theater at sea cruise. (20 or so years ago) Quite a few old timer celebs.

Patricia Neal- Lovely

Jean Stapleton- Very nice and approachable

Alan Arkin

Cliff Robertson- a real Gem.

A couple Miss America's- nice girls.

Several fun broadway stars!

For the most part, these folks just want to have fun, like the rest of us!

I hung out with him and his friends most often when we cruised together. Super nice!

I remember on Seabourn Sun (current HAL Princendam), they had a theater at sea cruise. (20 or so years ago) Quite a few old timer celebs.

Patricia Neal- Lovely

Jean Stapleton- Very nice and approachable

Alan Arkin

Cliff Robertson- a real Gem.

A couple Miss America's- nice girls.

Several fun broadway stars!

For the most part, these folks just want to have fun, like the rest of us!

Friend's mother didn't even speak to him as she was 'too shy' ! :D

I've just realised it was on Legend, not one of the big sisters. I don't know how she managed to not speak to him on a triplet!

I agree with you, they're on a cruise to have fun and enjoy some R&R with us 'normal' folks! Heck who knows what normal is, I certainly don't.

Save

I am not the least bit interested in celebrities but can't help but wonder, was this actor in disguise, such that only you could recognize him? Otherwise, I'm a tad confused about the need to "defend their privacy." After all, they chose to go on a public ship with a guest capacity of 458 plus >300 crew, did they not? If they were concerned about privacy, might they not have opted to charter a private yacht (or sail on their own)?

I can't help but agree, Sfvoyage. What is there to defend if all they did was sail Seabourn! It rather defeats the purpose of the thread, I feel.

Friend's mother didn't even speak to him as she was 'too shy' ! :D

I've just realised it was on Legend, not one of the big sisters. I don't know how she managed to not speak to him on a triplet!

I agree with you, they're on a cruise to have fun and enjoy some R&R with us 'normal' folks! Heck who knows what normal is, I certainly don't.

Save

Yes, the Legend always.

I can't help but agree, Sfvoyage. What is there to defend if all they did was sail Seabourn! It rather defeats the purpose of the thread, I feel.

May I suggest that you read the OP again? The thread wasn't intended to be about actually naming celebrities seen onboard.

It's divsec's thread and - so far - he made it clear in his OP that he doesn't wish to name the celebrities on his recent cruise.

I don't think anyone here has to justify their decision to not name names. Some posters are comfortable doing so but they don't have to justify their decision either.

Edited by Isklaar
Spelling

May I suggest that you read the OP again? The thread wasn't intended to be about actually naming celebrities seen onboard.

It's divsec's thread and - so far - he made it clear in his OP that he doesn't wish to name the celebrities on his recent cruise.

I don't think anyone here has to justify their decision to not name names. Some posters are comfortable doing so but they don't have to justify their decision either.

I was OK naming names on my post because unfortunately the majority have passed on.

Exactly! And regarding respecting someone's privacy, the best way to do so is not to pester them on board - don't chat them up, don't stare, don't ask for autographs, photos, etc.

Otherwise, I don't see a big problem mentioning them by name after the cruise is long over, as they are public figures and were in public to begin with, and thus with no presumption of privacy. (They may well expect or even want the publicity/recognition, however small the case may be on this board... ;))

Those who don't name names, good for them, but they're doing it for their own reason, and it really has nothing to do with protecting the celebrity's privacy.

And as stated by marama, a thread on celebrity sightings with posts about this unnamed celebrity and that unnamed celebrity is baffling at best.

Edited by sfvoyage

One important point is whether they were actually a guest speaker, or similar, or just on board for a holiday they paid for themselves.

My encounters have not been terribly exciting, apart from Spike Milligan, sadly then not long before he died. The others were on holiday, all pleasant to be around and not generally bothered by other passengers as they were not well known except in the UK., and were on American ships. We were quite surprised that Cilla Black, then in her full pomp on the dating programme, was only recognised by the 8 or so Brits on board. I am sure she was pleased, as we all just said hello and smiled, and left her and Bobby in peace.

Cilla Black! I'm impressed since I'm a fan. I would have wanted a song..."You're My World" or "It's For You." And some gossip about the Fab Four!

tv24 - I didn't expect anyone from the US to have heard of her; certainly none on the cruise had. She and Bobby obviously just wanted to have a quiet time (with lots of champagne), and although she smiled and said hello, one could tell she did not want to be pestered.

What was surprising that in 'real life' she was much less Scouse, much better dressed, and quite shy. She had gorgeous long legs, and lovely swimsuits too. The Blind Date persona was definitely put on to suit the rather vulgar programme.

I agree with you - each to his own. I was simply commenting that for my part, I find it rather strange, but I am clearly in the minority.

I am in the camp that does not think celebrities deserve any special treatment when in a public place. Certainly no jumping across their table for a kiss but no "don't go there" type rules. On Seabourn I might have sailed with celebrities but no one acted in any way different to fellow passengers so I was blissfully unaware. As far as naming them here on CC, it is after the fact, history if you will, and will have no effect on the person. Just because I once sailed with Sean Connery on board QE2 doesn't mean hundreds of rabid fans can go book the same ship and he will again be there. Past is past so name away. I also shared a passage with Ringo Starr.......so there!:D:D