Getting The Room You Want?

ReneeFLL

I read the comment below today and have read basically the same thing at other times. So lets say I want the aft wrap around cabin but it is already booked. Do I call Celebrity and tell them I want it and they try to get the other people to move to another cabin? Doesn't seem right/fair to me not unless the people being moved are moving to a much better cabin. One that the people consider being much better and not what Celebrity considers being better. Just because it's an upgrade in categories doesn't always mean that it's better. Why would Celebrity do this?

"What I'm thinking is they have someone else who wants your hump cabin and if they can get you to change it solves their problem."

I read the comment below today and have read basically the same thing at other times. So lets say I want the aft wrap around cabin but it is already booked. Do I call Celebrity and tell them I want it and they try to get the other people to move to another cabin? Doesn't seem right/fair to me not unless the people being moved are moving to a much better cabin. One that the people consider being much better and not what Celebrity considers being better. Just because it's an upgrade in categories doesn't always mean that it's better. Why would Celebrity do this?

"What I'm thinking is they have someone else who wants your hump cabin and if they can get you to change it solves their problem."

How Rich....

Please, I take it this is in jest, the repetition of such a wild comment, unless some super VIP (read: President of the U.S. or X, or some equivalent dignitary) wants your room at any cost, then possibly yes...

Or the originator of the statement has no clue about how it works and readers or listeners, needs to have a deaf ear at all costs because you will read or hear further things about X and their operations which may leave you standing on the dock...

bon voyage

I am glad to hear that they don't do this. It's bad enough that they will cancel a cruise and sell it to a private company.

In post 5 is where I read the comment. I have also read it at other times. Maybe people were joking and I didn't realize it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405433

It does happen, but it's fairly rare.

I booked an oceanview cabin far forward adjacent to the Family cabin (S Class ship). On arriving at the port, I found I had been moved to a verandah cabin. I believe that this was due to a large family group needing adjacent cabins, so I got a visit from the upgrade fairy.

That being said, I don't believe in general that someone can come along and ask for a room that is already booked and get it, pushing the people who booked it out to some other room.

You are the first post in the thread. How can there be a comment "below"? I do not see the comment that you are referencing.

DON

If you read what you quoted in the context of the thread in which it was posted, it is unfounded as a suggestion that Celebrity has specifically targeted someone's cabin. The OP of that thread is booked in a 1A hump cabin on an S-class ship where Celebrity is offering a GTY for Concierge Class cabins, and was seeking advice about whether to change her booking. The GTY offer is not directed personally at the OP or her cabin; the comment you quoted above, quite frankly, is absurd. Just the sort of stuff that gets people riled up here, as it did you, starting a whole thread over it.

For what it is worth - this happened to us on another cruise line. Our TA called the cruise line for us to check on upgrade to PH from a lower suite. Answer - sure for $1000 per person. Politely declined. Then not 1 hour later got a call from TA. Cruise line Offered upgrade to PH for free! Crazy. When we got on ship ran into couple who got our room. They had pushed the cruise line to get the suite we had so guess cruise line decided to make it all happen. We did not complain! Celebrity has been VERY good to us - 3 free upgrades to PH on M class from RS for free. Needless to say - we are big Celebrity fans!

If you read what you quoted in the context of the thread in which it was posted, it is unfounded as a suggestion that Celebrity has specifically targeted someone's cabin. The OP of that thread is booked in a 1A hump cabin on an S-class ship where Celebrity is offering a GTY for Concierge Class cabins, and was seeking advice about whether to change her booking. The GTY offer is not directed personally at the OP or her cabin; the comment you quoted above, quite frankly, is absurd. Just the sort of stuff that gets people riled up here, as it did you, starting a whole thread over it.

First of all I am not riled up, but you sound like you are. :rolleyes: I asked the question to find out if what I thought I understood was true. Read the responses and you will get the answer yourself.

As for your comment "the comment you quoted above, quite frankly, is absurd. Just the sort of stuff that gets people riled up here, as it did you, starting a whole thread over it" it's people like you that turn others off from CC or asking questions. Definitely won't scare me away because I know how some old timers like you can be. Unfortunately it can intimidate the new ones. As for starting a whole thread that is what questions are for. :roll eyes:

Thanks to the others who replied.

Our TA has call Celebrity for us 3 times about cabins. We travel with family and friends at times. Sometime up to 10 people. We might want 3 or 4 cabins next to one another to open the balconies up so we can talk and visit our family. TA call Celebrity about if a couple would move one cabin either down one cabin or to the other side of us. Celebrity called to ask if they would move. They said yes they would move. Another time a cabin was being held by a travel company. No deposit on the cabin. So Celebrity gave the travel company a different cabin. The strange one was when we could not get the cabin we wanted for it was assigned to European sales only.

This happened to relatives of mine. They were sailing on their first cruise on a different cruise-line and were contacted a week before the cruise to see if they would move as someone specifically wanted their cabin.

They would be moved right to the front of the ship which would mean while the ship was moving it would be very windy on their balcony - on that particular cruise-line's ship, however they would be compensated and the cruise line gave them an offer (a very generous offer). They accepted and had a wonderful time.

Edited by Embrace

For what it is worth - this happened to us on another cruise line. Our TA called the cruise line for us to check on upgrade to PH from a lower suite. Answer - sure for $1000 per person. Politely declined. Then not 1 hour later got a call from TA. Cruise line Offered upgrade to PH for free! Crazy. When we got on ship ran into couple who got our room. They had pushed the cruise line to get the suite we had so guess cruise line decided to make it all happen. We did not complain! Celebrity has been VERY good to us - 3 free upgrades to PH on M class from RS for free. Needless to say - we are big Celebrity fans!

cr - It sounds like the family who wanted your cabin was really, really, really willing to pay for your upgrade. They low-balled you first, then upon hearing the news, decided to go all out and make an offer which was very enticing and not be refused! Good for you....

X made the offer via their instructions, I would believe, you were not forced to change cabins but offered a cabin change.

Anyway, it paved a way for a great upgrade worthy of the move..

bon voyage

cr - It sounds like the family who wanted your cabin was really, really, really willing to pay for your upgrade. They low-balled you first, then upon hearing the news, decided to go all out and make an offer which was very enticing and not be refused! Good for you....

X made the offer via their instructions, I would believe, you were not forced to change cabins but offered a cabin change.

Anyway, it paved a way for a great upgrade worthy of the move..

bon voyage

Absolutely!! No downside to any of these experiences. You are correct - we were not forced. We could have declined the upgrade. We have been treated exceptionally by Celebrity so we are somewhat biased now.

We currently have a 1A hump. First off the straight. Our sailing has a Concierge GTY for less. Not much about $200. But, we would get extra points for being in CC. Its a 10 night sailing too.

I do love large balconies that's why I booked it to begin with. I am wondering how much I am going to love it without lounge chairs or even a footstool.

What to do?

I am glad to hear that they don't do this. It's bad enough that they will cancel a cruise and sell it to a private company.

In post 5 is where I read the comment. I have also read it at other times. Maybe people were joking and I didn't realize it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405433

Post #5 (where the person thought the OP was either offered a move over or forced to move) just misread the original post, which I quoted above.

The original poster in that thread was just saying that they had a hump cabin booked but that a guaranty Concierge was available and was asking advice on whether or not they should change their reservation.

No one was forcing anyone to make any changes.

I've unfortunately seen many times where people must be reading very quickly and misquote or misunderstand questions and twist the original intent of the post.