Don't Count of Oceania to treat you fairly

CarolynS

Our 24 day cruise to the Amazon was cancelled by Oceania 5 days before we were scheduled to sail due to a tragic fire that occurred on the ship when it was about half way thru a 10 day itinerary. While this was not Oceania's fault, in my opinion, 700 people booked on this major cruise have been offered insufficient compensation by Oceania. Oceania proffered alternatives as follows:

1) A full refund of the fare and a 25% credit of the cost of the cancelled cruise for a future cruise in 2016 but, with exception of $150 for air change fees, no compensation for the myriad other out of pocket costs, eg. visas, required vaccinations, non-refundable airfare, trip insurance, etc.). Further, as detailed in the option described below, specific cruises were excluded from this offer--most notably the two most similar itineraries.

2) Accommodation at no additional cost on 10 specific cruises, only two of which with itineraries comparable to the cancelled trip, again with a 25% credit for a future 2016 cruise as above. Several of these cruises are to the far east or South Africa, some are 15 months away, and all but one will require international air travel at much greater time and expense as opposed to the cancelled trip which was round trip out of Miami. Neither of the two substitute cruises with similar itineraries are for the same time of year (Christmas holiday). Oceania has shown no concern or consideration for any of these factors.

While I have not seen the details of the compensation offered to the individuals on the cruise that was terminated early, it has been reported to be a full refund and 50% credit for a future cruise. The abruptly terminated cruise was halfway complete at the time of the fire, so those passengers basically got a free cruise and a deeply discounted future cruise. Yes, admittedly those passengers were terribly inconvenienced, but so were those expecting to board after them. Given the difference in the compensaton offered, it seems that the first 700 passengers were much more important to Oceania than the 700 who totally lost out on their cruise. Oceania has rigidly refused to consider a comparable compensation package for those of us who received no cruise time at all and have lost money on other costs associated with the trip.

Accordingly, I will take my cruise dollars to another line in the future. I hope you will consider this when you are choosing a cruise line for yourself.

I am not an Oceania cheerleader - only sailed on O twice. But I don't get it. Under the terms of the ticket contract, O could cancel and give you no compensation except a refund. Yet you complain that you get less compensation than those who experienced the trauma of a fire, loss of three lives, sitting for hours before a cramped flight home, and very delayed luggage return at best. I understand the disappointment of a cancelled cruise, but you are safe, at home, with many options of how to spend your holidays and travel. I am sorry you do not get to enjoy the vacation you planned, but I commend O for offering compensation at all. But, as I said, maybe I don't get it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately in life, garbage happens and that's why there is insurance.

25% towards a future cruise is very generous. I'd be counting my blessings I wasn't on the Insignia in St Lucia and didn't lose my life. Rescheduling a trip in the scheme of things is no big deal.

Does your trip cancellation/interruption insurance not cover any of the tours you had to cancel??

I thought VISAS were included by Oceania ..maybe I misread as I did not really read the perks that closely

Sorry you will be missing your cruise it must be heartbreaking after all the planning people have done

Lyn

Check your cruise policies everbody. You get ZERO if the Cruiseline cancels. Most policies only cover $200 in rebooking fees.

So your air fare is not covered, your land portions are not covered and of course your insurance is useless although some will allow you to apply the cost yo another cruise within a year.

There are several people on our roll call that even came a few days early only to find on arrival to the USA that the cruise was cancelled. Not only are they out the air fare but the change fees and higher fare class to get back home cost them an extra $3000.

We are lucky. Local and we were able to quickly book an alternative (though not our first choice).

Oceania needs to be more flexible in their response and not hold to the party line of 25 prrcent credit which computed to most fares as a credit on a future cruise of $3000. And of course if you do not take a future cruise you get ZERO.

Edited by PaulMCO

I also believe your visa will till be valid if you schedule a cruise at a later date that goes to Brazil. Considering that visa costs go up each year, you may be ahead of the game. I think the Brazil visa is good for 5 to 10 years from date of issue. If you passport expires, you just need to bring the expired passport with you and Brazil will recognize their visa still.

Unfortunately in life, garbage happens and that's why there is insurance.

25% towards a future cruise is very generous. I'd be counting my blessings I wasn't on the Insignia in St Lucia and didn't lose my life. Rescheduling a trip in the scheme of things is no big deal.

Comparison ie Fire on Azamara Quest

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1604951&highlight=fire

I don't have the patience to read that entire thread - your point is???? I saw nothing about compensation for those on later cruises that were cancelled --- I assume you are implying that A was more generous???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mistake:( I thought it would be interesting to read about how a sister ship handled the same devastating event. I wasn't trying to compare as I thought both lines handled the situation well. My bad and won't be back.

The big thread on the Insignia fire has included discussion of other cruise ship fires. I assumed incorrectly that you had information on better compensation being offered by other lines.

As you mentioned that you have rejected O and will not book it in the future, I will only add that I wish you well and hope you find a line that better suits you. And do get that travel insurance! It can be a big help!!

Edited by Toranut97

The big thread on the Insignia fire has included discussion of other cruise ship fires. I assumed incorrectly that you had information on better compensation being offered by other lines.

As you mentioned that you have rejected O and will not book it in the future, I will only add that I wish you well and hope you find a line that better suits you. And do get that travel insurance! It can be a big help!!

I never said that I have rejected O but will not bother to post again on the O cruise critic board - not worth the flack. BTW I have wonderful insurance.

I never said that I have rejected O but will not bother to post again on the O cruise critic board - not worth the flack. BTW I have wonderful insurance.

"Accordingly, I will take my dollars to another cruise line in the future." -from your initial post. Guess I misunderstood your intent. Sorry again!

Our 24 day cruise to the Amazon was cancelled by Oceania 5 days before we were scheduled to sail due to a tragic fire that occurred on the ship when it was about half way thru a 10 day itinerary. While this was not Oceania's fault, in my opinion, 700 people booked on this major cruise have been offered insufficient compensation by Oceania. Oceania proffered alternatives as follows:

1) A full refund of the fare and a 25% credit of the cost of the cancelled cruise for a future cruise in 2016 but, with exception of $150 for air change fees, no compensation for the myriad other out of pocket costs, eg. visas, required vaccinations, non-refundable airfare, trip insurance, etc.). Further, as detailed in the option described below, specific cruises were excluded from this offer--most notably the two most similar itineraries.

2) Accommodation at no additional cost on 10 specific cruises, only two of which with itineraries comparable to the cancelled trip, again with a 25% credit for a future 2016 cruise as above. Several of these cruises are to the far east or South Africa, some are 15 months away, and all but one will require international air travel at much greater time and expense as opposed to the cancelled trip which was round trip out of Miami. Neither of the two substitute cruises with similar itineraries are for the same time of year (Christmas holiday). Oceania has shown no concern or consideration for any of these factors.

While I have not seen the details of the compensation offered to the individuals on the cruise that was terminated early, it has been reported to be a full refund and 50% credit for a future cruise. The abruptly terminated cruise was halfway complete at the time of the fire, so those passengers basically got a free cruise and a deeply discounted future cruise. Yes, admittedly those passengers were terribly inconvenienced, but so were those expecting to board after them. Given the difference in the compensaton offered, it seems that the first 700 passengers were much more important to Oceania than the 700 who totally lost out on their cruise. Oceania has rigidly refused to consider a comparable compensation package for those of us who received no cruise time at all and have lost money on other costs associated with the trip.

Accordingly, I will take my cruise dollars to another line in the future. I hope you will consider this when you are choosing a cruise line for yourself.

I think it is amazing that posts in response to this thread are accepting your rant against Oceania with patience and with substantive answers. Your lack of understanding of what the cruisers had to deal with in St Lucia…the fear, the loss of life of crew, going without medication and clothing, uncertainty…what a terrible traumatic experience it must have been. In light of their horrific experience, I find your complaint that they are being treated better than you and that they got several days of a "free" cruise to be incredibly off base and that is putting it politely.

Check your cruise policies everbody. You get ZERO if the Cruiseline cancels. Most policies only cover $200 in rebooking fees.

So your air fare is not covered, your land portions are not covered and of course your insurance is useless although some will allow you to apply the cost yo another cruise within a year.

We had a land tour to Japan that was cancelled due to the tsunami. We had Travelguard insurance. No problem to change the dates, location, and type of trip. When deciding on what type of insurance to get, always check on what the benefits actually are if something bad happens.

IMHO, Oceania is handling this VERY poorly. Even though none of the cruise lines are required to provide any compensation, ALL of the major lines have stepped up and said they will reimburse any non-refundable expenses incurred by their client as a result of the cruise line cancelling a cruise.

In this case, all requests must be submitted to guest relations and will be decided on a case by case basis. When you are dealing with a top shelf vendor, and had a trip planned that exceeded 50k all in, I would expect better service.

IMHO, Oceania is handling this VERY poorly. Even though none of the cruise lines are required to provide any compensation, ALL of the major lines have stepped up and said they will reimburse any non-refundable expenses incurred by their client as a result of the cruise line cancelling a cruise.

In this case, all requests must be submitted to guest relations and will be decided on a case by case basis. When you are dealing with a top shelf vendor, and had a trip planned that exceeded 50k all in, I would expect better service.

And what process would you suggest for compensation, wherein the client does not make such "requests"?

:confused::confused::confused:

And what process would you suggest for compensation, wherein the client does not make such "requests"?

:confused::confused::confused:

While I agree that the client should have to submit paperwork to PROVE that they lost funds (through no fault of their own), they should know going into it that they WILL be reimbursed for non-refundable expenses. They SHOULD NOT have to wait for someone to make a subjective decision about whether their claim had merit.