Don't Count of Oceania to treat you fairly

CarolynS

I really think it unfair to bad mouth Oceania. From what I have read they did a great job. If they are looking at each case case by case sounds like a good approach. After all this was a act of god, they did not do anything wrong to cause this. I often wonder why people expect cruise lines to be so generous while airlines, insurance company's ect use act of god to not pay and it is OK

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I really think it unfair to bad mouth Oceania. From what I have read they did a great job. If they are looking at each case case by case sounds like a good approach. After all this was a act of god, they did not do anything wrong to cause this. I often wonder why people expect cruise lines to be so generous while airlines, insurance company's ect use act of god to not pay and it is OK

So we can agree to disagree. FWIW, I DO NOT consider this accident an "Act of God". If the fire had started by a lightning strike, yes, that would be an "Act of God", however that was not the case.

FWIW, airlines reimburse people all the time for flights they miss, as well as incidental expenses, due to storms, etc and insurance companies pay HUGE claims due to hurricanes and floods. These situations are true "Acts of God".

We had a land tour to Japan that was cancelled due to the tsunami. We had Travelguard insurance. No problem to change the dates, location, and type of trip. When deciding on what type of insurance to get, always check on what the benefits actually are if something bad happens.

Yes Travelguard will allow ONE change of cruise. However they will pay for NOTHING other than $200 if the Cruise line cancels your cruise.

And why is it UNFAIR? Since you were not impacted?? The OP was and so were others. They are NOT satisfied with their compensation. If they want to publicly call out Oceania they can - and should be wearing their flame suits - because of the many Cheerleaders this thread. They can also walk and take their money to another Cruise line.

As far as act of a higher being -- highly doubt that and we eagerly await to see the NTSB report. Being two years away from Oceania on lease I cannot believe that she had the same maintenance that the owner of a ship would give it.

Edited by PaulMCO

It's my understanding that four of the eight R ships have experienced a similar engine room fire. Given the age of these ships, I personally would not be comfortable on a trans-oceanic cruise on any of them.

That said, we were on a Norway cruise this summer and the ship was perfect for navigating the fjords.

They SHOULD NOT have to wait for someone to make a subjective decision about whether their claim had merit.

Give me one concrete example...just one-

of any company in any business that pays out claims on that basis

-and I will agree with you-

wd-18-2010.jpg

It's a recipe for disaster.

I am not a Oceania cheerleader, for years I have been reading here how O shore trips are too expensive, their hotels are too expensive, the transfers are too expensive and take the air credit and do your own. Well if you took Oceania tours ect I am sure they would refund all money, if you chose to do your own thing why should they be in any way on the hook. As for the ship condition, I just got off of a Hapag Lloyd ship and the condition of the ship was top shelf, the best I have ever seen. The fact that Oceania does not want to give each person who was going on the WC a plank check does not seem a bad thing to me. Funny the people who were on the ship when this happened seem OK with Oceania.

Give me one concrete example...just one-

of any company in any business that pays out claims on that basis

-and I will agree with you-

wd-18-2010.jpg

It's a recipe for disaster.

Since you asked - I was supposed to sail on the Carnival Splendor 3 weeks after it's fire in the fall of 2010. When I got the e-mail from Carnival about the cruise being cancelled, it stated that I would get a full refund, a 25 % future cruise credit AND reimbursement of ANY non-refundable air change fees, up to a maximum of $250.00 per person.

I am pretty sure that if Carnival can pull this off, Oceania should be able to also.

[quote=hypercafe;45046324 Funny the people who were on the ship when this happened seem OK with Oceania.

You mean the two or three that posted here. Check the Amazon Roll call lots of complaints. Check Oceania's Facebook page also same.

I am satisfied on the compensation, but I live in Florida and have 2 hour drive. I was able to find a replacement cruise to salvage my holiday.

I do not live in Maryland or Australia and have additional out of pocket as others have and are NOT getting satisfaction.

I think folks are being a little hard on the OP and others on that Amazon cruise. I'm not surprised by the compensation levels, but this has caused financial loss for many, and inconvenience as well.

In the "old days", Radisson would have compensated everyone for everything, but those days are long gone. Beyond future cruise credits, I can't see Oceania doing much for people on the cancelled trips.

I'm also wondering how they will sell the segments of the remaining WC. Many people who were doing the entire trip are cancelling. I suspect there will be a fire sale at some point, no pun intended!

I think folks are being a little hard on the OP and others on that Amazon cruise. I'm not surprised by the compensation levels, but this has caused financial loss for many, and inconvenience as well.

In the "old days", Radisson would have compensated everyone for everything, but those days are long gone. Beyond future cruise credits, I can't see Oceania doing much for people on the cancelled trips.

I'm also wondering how they will sell the segments of the remaining WC. Many people who were doing the entire trip are cancelling. I suspect there will be a fire sale at some point, no pun intended!

I think your right, there will be bargains. Unfortunately one would have to fly to Asia which is not much fun.

So we can agree to disagree. FWIW, I DO NOT consider this accident an "Act of God". If the fire had started by a lightning strike, yes, that would be an "Act of God", however that was not the case.

FWIW, airlines reimburse people all the time for flights they miss, as well as incidental expenses, due to storms, etc and insurance companies pay HUGE claims due to hurricanes and floods. These situations are true "Acts of God".

Airlines might refund when a flight is canceled, but they won't refund you for the hotel room you did not use because the flight was canceled or delayed, or the cruise you missed for the same reason. Nor do they give you a 25% credit on a future flight that might be more than some of those expenses.

Yet everyone expects the cruise line to refund funds for things not booked through them. Even after they give a credit on future cruises that financially might have more value then the out of pocket expenses.

jakesnana: Comparing what Carnival did for their passengers to what Oceania is doing isn't fair to either company. Looking back at the Carnival incidents (their repetitive problem with the ships), from the perspective of some of us hearing about it in the news, they weren't doing such a great job either but we were not there and do not know how it was handled. Oceania is taking care of their passengers and, IMO, it is not up to those of us not affected to judge them. I do applaud Carnival for the assistance they gave in giving food to the passengers in St. Lucia.

That's an interesting thought. We are on one segment (in July from Montreal to Southampton). All cabin categories are on a wait-list. I have no idea how many of the roughly 700 total capacity are on the entire World Cruise, but I can't conceive that it is more than 100 or so. I doubt that would create much of a fire sale (but I would not be at all upset if something happens before final payment so we could take advantage). What I do suspect is possible is that we might learn our cabin assigment before we show up to board. We have a GTY at the moment and maybe we would have hope of some possibility of choice if we get unlucky. Although we have a PH2 GTY so how bad could it be?

Yes Travelguard will allow ONE change of cruise. However they will pay for NOTHING other than $200 if the Cruise line cancels your cruise.

Our land trip was cancelled by the tour company. No problem at all changing the dates and type of trip. Went on different dates on a small ship cruise to the Greek Islands instead of a land trip to Japan-but it was with the same tour company.

I just went online, put in the new dates and destination and that was all I needed to do.

That's an interesting thought. We are on one segment (in July from Montreal to Southampton). All cabin categories are on a wait-list. I have no idea how many of the roughly 700 total capacity are on the entire World Cruise, but I can't conceive that it is more than 100 or so. I doubt that would create much of a fire sale (but I would not be at all upset if something happens before final payment so we could take advantage). ...

Of course, that's a *different* world cruise, right? So not sure how much it would be affected.

Since you asked - I was supposed to sail on the Carnival Splendor 3 weeks after it's fire in the fall of 2010. When I got the e-mail from Carnival about the cruise being cancelled, it stated that I would get a full refund, a 25 % future cruise credit AND reimbursement of ANY non-refundable air change fees, up to a maximum of $250.00 per person.

I am pretty sure that if Carnival can pull this off, Oceania should be able to also.

You're playing with semantics, Bev, or rather, Carnival was.

When you submitted your claim for the air expenses, Carnival vetted them before paying them just as Oceania will do. The inclusion of the word "any" may have reassured you, but it carries no implied warranty.

The two companies are providing precisely the same service to their clients.

Not the same cruise line anymore. It is NCL and not Oceania and things will not be the same. :(:(:(

Hi

S/be grateful for the credit.

Travel insurance covers other costs as we have been thru it before.

Wish Princess had done the same instead of saying try your travel insurance.

Yes, it is disappointing that the cruise was curtailed and that you were offered your cruise monies back plus 25%.

One is always out of pocket at times when tours etc. are cancelled.

Part of travelling the world today.

Our 24 day cruise to the Amazon was cancelled by Oceania 5 days before we were scheduled to sail due to a tragic fire that occurred on the ship when it was about half way thru a 10 day itinerary. While this was not Oceania's fault, in my opinion, 700 people booked on this major cruise have been offered insufficient compensation by Oceania. Oceania proffered alternatives as follows:

1) A full refund of the fare and a 25% credit of the cost of the cancelled cruise for a future cruise in 2016 but, with exception of $150 for air change fees, no compensation for the myriad other out of pocket costs, eg. visas, required vaccinations, non-refundable airfare, trip insurance, etc.). Further, as detailed in the option described below, specific cruises were excluded from this offer--most notably the two most similar itineraries.

2) Accommodation at no additional cost on 10 specific cruises, only two of which with itineraries comparable to the cancelled trip, again with a 25% credit for a future 2016 cruise as above. Several of these cruises are to the far east or South Africa, some are 15 months away, and all but one will require international air travel at much greater time and expense as opposed to the cancelled trip which was round trip out of Miami. Neither of the two substitute cruises with similar itineraries are for the same time of year (Christmas holiday). Oceania has shown no concern or consideration for any of these factors.

While I have not seen the details of the compensation offered to the individuals on the cruise that was terminated early, it has been reported to be a full refund and 50% credit for a future cruise. The abruptly terminated cruise was halfway complete at the time of the fire, so those passengers basically got a free cruise and a deeply discounted future cruise. Yes, admittedly those passengers were terribly inconvenienced, but so were those expecting to board after them. Given the difference in the compensaton offered, it seems that the first 700 passengers were much more important to Oceania than the 700 who totally lost out on their cruise. Oceania has rigidly refused to consider a comparable compensation package for those of us who received no cruise time at all and have lost money on other costs associated with the trip.

Accordingly, I will take my cruise dollars to another line in the future. I hope you will consider this when you are choosing a cruise line for yourself.

Our 24 day cruise to the Amazon was cancelled by Oceania 5 days before we were scheduled to sail due to a tragic fire that occurred on the ship when it was about half way thru a 10 day itinerary. While this was not Oceania's fault, in my opinion, 700 people booked on this major cruise have been offered insufficient compensation by Oceania. Oceania proffered alternatives as follows:

1) A full refund of the fare and a 25% credit of the cost of the cancelled cruise for a future cruise in 2016 but, with exception of $150 for air change fees, no compensation for the myriad other out of pocket costs, eg. visas, required vaccinations, non-refundable airfare, trip insurance, etc.). Further, as detailed in the option described below, specific cruises were excluded from this offer--most notably the two most similar itineraries.

2) Accommodation at no additional cost on 10 specific cruises, only two of which with itineraries comparable to the cancelled trip, again with a 25% credit for a future 2016 cruise as above. Several of these cruises are to the far east or South Africa, some are 15 months away, and all but one will require international air travel at much greater time and expense as opposed to the cancelled trip which was round trip out of Miami. Neither of the two substitute cruises with similar itineraries are for the same time of year (Christmas holiday). Oceania has shown no concern or consideration for any of these factors.

While I have not seen the details of the compensation offered to the individuals on the cruise that was terminated early, it has been reported to be a full refund and 50% credit for a future cruise. The abruptly terminated cruise was halfway complete at the time of the fire, so those passengers basically got a free cruise and a deeply discounted future cruise. Yes, admittedly those passengers were terribly inconvenienced, but so were those expecting to board after them. Given the difference in the compensaton offered, it seems that the first 700 passengers were much more important to Oceania than the 700 who totally lost out on their cruise. Oceania has rigidly refused to consider a comparable compensation package for those of us who received no cruise time at all and have lost money on other costs associated with the trip.

Accordingly, I will take my cruise dollars to another line in the future. I hope you will consider this when you are choosing a cruise line for yourself.

Because you took your own air it looks like you did not get as much.... but that was your choice... as was the insurance and all the rest. Visas are good for several years... No real losses other than ones you choose to going into the deal. Oceania did not make you take other air...you did.

You can compare the 2 compensations because one was during a cruise with no other option and with attendant stresses and yours was before the cruise with no many other options .

Two totally different situations of being in a terrible fire and the other a personal planning upset 25% sure sounds like a pretty fair payment for having to physical situation to endure....

I think it is amazing that posts in response to this thread are accepting your rant against Oceania with patience and with substantive answers. Your lack of understanding of what the cruisers had to deal with in St Lucia…the fear, the loss of life of crew, going without medication and clothing, uncertainty…what a terrible traumatic experience it must have been. In light of their horrific experience, I find your complaint that they are being treated better than you and that they got several days of a "free" cruise to be incredibly off base and that is putting it politely.

Gee, it didn't seem like a rant to me when I wrote it....just my opinion of the situation. My intended point is that many of us lost several thousand dollars and will have to spend several thousand more for a comparable future cruise that, for us, is 15 months away. Insurance covered nothing. Without minimizing the trauma of the disembarked passengers, in my opinion (and everyone is entitled to an one--including you), the two cruises should have been offered the same compensation package.

I do appreciate your politeness. Reasonable people can reasonably disagree.

Actually, the Brazil visa met be used within 90 days of issue to stay valid for ten years. If not used during the 90 days, it expires.

I had thought this had just recently changed??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had thought this had just recently changed??

I got my visa in September for an October trip through Genvisa. If the rules have changed, that must have happened within the past two months. The last Brazil visa we had expired after five years, so it is nice to have the ten years this time.

Edited by Benita

No it was earlier in 2014.... Must be crazy, I could have sworn I read a bunch of cruisers discussing that very thing with relief.

Maybe I had to much celebrating last night and dreamed it ;)