Stop added fees just up the cruise cost

Kaboochi

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive. NCL has made choices that are nicer and dining their passangers. Just up the cost of the cruise and get rid of the room service fee and all carte speciality restaurant charges. Getting rady to go back to RCCL. The CEO needs a reality check about the people who cruise this line. So many changes quite quickly makes me believe they are in need of more revenue to keep afloat or, the CEOS is money hungry This is just my opinion

As you can see from most of the responses, NCL is filling niche that apparently you do not belong to. Many people, including myself, would prefer choices on how we spend our money with a lower base price. Since this is not what you want in your cruises then I suggest finding a cruise line that will fill your needs...NCL may not work for you but it does for many others.

Cruising is supposed to be all inclusive. NCL has made choices that are nicer and dining their passangers. Just up the cost of the cruise and get rid of the room service fee and all carte speciality restaurant charges. Getting rady to go back to RCCL. The CEO needs a reality check about the people who cruise this line. So many changes quite quickly makes me believe they are in need of more revenue to keep afloat or, the CEOS is money hungry This is just my opinion

I completely disagree with you. I want to pay for the things I consume, not the things everybody else consumes. If sodas were included, then I'm paying for them even though I don't use them.

I don't use Room Service, in 22 cruises we never have...but we're in specialty restaurants almost every night.

I hope they keep doing exactly what they're doing. If it's not the line for you, then RCCL will perhaps suit you better.

Stephen

NCL fares are not that low anymore. I would not book a current cruise on them given some of the rates I am seeing. Royal is still more.

In some cases NCL is charging more than RCI now. NCL wants $150 more for a balcony cabin on Norwegian Getaway than what RCI is charging for the same category on Oasis of the Seas for the same week in October 2016. Both ships are doing a similar Western Caribbean itinerary, but the balcony cabins on Oasis are considerably larger and Oasis has far better amenities (excluding their puny spa thermal suite).

Albeit the extra cost for NCL might go into the promotional packages, but how does that count as paying a la carte for what we want? :rolleyes: It's all a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oasis

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%209.21.32%20AM_zpsdyjhksv2.png

Getaway

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%209.21.09%20AM_zpsjaxd9cxc.png

Don't do the specialities.

I am in the camp that prefers to be pay a lower basic cost and then pay for the add-ons that will enhance my trip. We gladly pay for specialty dining, but drink very little alcohol for an example.

Additionally, if they just increase the bases fares across the board to cover all of the up-charges it would increase the amount of commissions they would have to pay to TA's. Not going to happen.

I feel just the opposite. Keep the fares low and charge for "choice" items. You can still cruise for free if you eat in the complimentary dining venues, drink free beverages, see free entertainment, etc.

THIS. I choose NCL largely because the base fares are far more reasonable than Royal and most of the other mass market lines. I choose what I want to pay for, and it works out quite nicely. I understand the appeal of an all inclusive experience - who wants to think and worry about costs once on the ship? BUT I know what those costs are ahead of time and factor them into my overall budget so I am not worrying once on board. I don't know any mass market line that does all inclusive alcohol without an upcharge (other than the change on Sky) and the other two mass market lines that I sailed on also had up charge specialty dining, which I enjoyed on both of those sailings. I prefer not to pay for the booze and other items that the ship line would assume I am using based on others' consumption if they went to a completely AI model. Believe me, they would build a hefty profit margin into AI pricing. I suspect fares would jump far higher than the OP anticipates if NCL went down that road.

Am I happy about all of the recent changes? Not really. Some inure to my benefit, some don't. In the end, though, I much prefer those changes and pricing model to the one that the OP suggests.

I would like to know why the op thinks cruises are "supposed to be" all inclusive

I've been cruising since I'm 18.....many years and cruises have passed since.....

Even as an 18 yo I always knew there were extra charges

So what's with the ops thinking that they are "all inclusive?"

Hey...skip the bingo. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP, doesn't sound like cruising should be your choice for vacation. While it is true NCL started their FREESTYLE CRUISING around 2004 (I think), it quickly caught on, so now all the cruiselines have started their own "dine your way" or "open dining" or "specialty restaurants" with the beverage packages, spa packages, photo packages.

People seem to like the idea of being able to choose what they want to do with the add on pricing. I personally don't pay any of the extras, and I prefer the old fashioned table top for 8 with a set dinner time. So I prefer HAL to NCL, but if you want a truly ALL INCLUSIVE, I think you would be better served at an Island Getaway.

I feel just the opposite. Keep the fares low and charge for "choice" items. You can still cruise for free if you eat in the complimentary dining venues, drink free beverages, see free entertainment, etc.

I'd be all for keeping the current inclusiveness while also allowing people to opt-out of venues/activities they don't want to participate in. If you're fine with eating in the buffet, opt out of the MDR and save that $. If you don't want to go to the theater shows, opt out and save the $. You could then offer day/event/meal passes for a fee if people want to "splurge."

I will agree with this. It's like buying a car. Pay for what you want/use.

I don't drink...so why would I want prices to go higher to include drinks? Why should I pay more to pay more for drinks that I won't drink?

I don't like eating in specialty restaurants all the time. I enjoy the MDR at times and sometimes even eat in port. Why should I pay for something I'm not going to use (at all or all the time)

Excursions? Most of the time we DYI as it's much cheaper and sometimes NCL does not have what we're looking for. Why should I pay a higher cruise fare to include excursions when I don't use them?

If they're going to do this then is BINGO free? Is that included? I don't pllay Bingo so why should I pay for it?

I'd rather have a 'base' fee and pay for any extras I want.....then to have to pay a HIGH fare for things I won't use or want!

Now, THAT'S freestyle!

Harriet

THIS. I choose NCL largely because the base fares are far more reasonable than Royal and most of the other mass market lines. I choose what I want to pay for, and it works out quite nicely. I understand the appeal of an all inclusive experience - who wants to think and worry about costs once on the ship? BUT I know what those costs are ahead of time and factor them into my overall budget so I am not worrying once on board. I don't know any mass market line that does all inclusive alcohol without an upcharge (other than the change on Sky) and the other two mass market lines that I sailed on also had up charge specialty dining, which I enjoyed on both of those sailings. I prefer not to pay for the booze and other items that the ship line would assume I am using based on others' consumption if they went to a completely AI model. Believe me, they would build a hefty profit margin into AI pricing. I suspect fares would jump far higher than the OP anticipates if NCL went down that road.

Am I happy about all of the recent changes? Not really. Some inure to my benefit, some don't. In the end, though, I much prefer those changes and pricing model to the one that the OP suggests.

You are correct about the prices going up when a cruise line goes AI (or almost AI, as I call it). When Crystal went AI, their fares went up slightly, but I use to get $1,000 OBC for my cruises and that disappeared. So, I figured I was paying $1,000 for other folks' alcohol consumption, as I don't drink that much. I still cruise with Crystal, but not as much as I did in the past, because of the "choice" items I'm now paying for other folks to consume. I want to choose how I spend my money, not spend it for things I don't use.

NIckel and dime ME.:D

I like it . My tab, last cruise was under $100 with prepaid dsc.:D

I even got a pay as you go phone flip phone 10 cents a minute. Don't use it much so $100 last 6 to 8 months.

Why pay for crap I don't use.

I must be dense or something, because I get really confused when people claim that NCL "nickle & dimes" SO much more than other mainstream cruise lines.

I've been on HAL, Princess, CCL, RCCL, and Celebrity, in addition to NCL and have not found one thing (aside from NCL's new RS charge) that I did not have to also pay for on the other lines. And at least one of the others (maybe more-it's been a while since I've been on a couple of the lines) charges for RS after hours, or for whole pizza delivery. Some others also charge for upgraded items in the MDR, in order for a whole party to not have to go to a specialty if only one person wants a better grade of steak. Personally, I think that's a great idea.

So NCL raised their gratuities. Others have as well, over time, or you still have to stuff those stupid envelopes and hand them out (which I hate). Either way, you're still paying gratuities on every line (unless you're a cheapskate and don't).

Edited by srlafleur

I must be dense or something, because I get really confused when people claim that NCL "nickle & dimes" SO much more than other mainstream cruise lines.

You're not dense, nor are the many others who have expressed their similar opinion that the fees, "add-ons" and a la cart offerings don't rise to the level of "nickel and diming".

After the numerous threads and hundreds of posts from those outraged about recent changes, it's refreshing to actually hear from those who are NOT outraged.

There are those who will ascribe any change in pricing, fees or amenities as a "money grab" and express how evil it is for a company executive to line his own pockets with the ridiculous profits being made from the poor disadvantaged passenger.

It's a business, not a charity. As many have said - if you don't like it, find a line you do like. That is truly a "Freestyle Choice" we all have.

Another option is to book a suite, so at least you get the UDP and free room service included in your base fare.

Or -- if you can live without room service -- add the UDP to your reservation, and look at it as what the "base" fare would be if the dining plan was included.

Who said cruising is supposed to be all-inclusive?

I like paying for add ons I want and not paying for those I don't.

I completely disagree with you. I want to pay for the things I consume, not the things everybody else consumes. If sodas were included, then I'm paying for them even though I don't use them.

I don't use Room Service, in 22 cruises we never have...but we're in specialty restaurants almost every night.

I hope they keep doing exactly what they're doing. If it's not the line for you, then RCCL will perhaps suit you better.

Stephen

Eloquently put and agreed. Are you a copywriter :)

We like we pay if we don't want then we do not pay - a bit like our low cost airlines. It is amazing what goes in our hand luggage!

In some cases NCL is charging more than RCI now. NCL wants $150 more for a balcony cabin on Norwegian Getaway than what RCI is charging for the same category on Oasis of the Seas for the same week in October 2016. Both ships are doing a similar Western Caribbean itinerary, but the balcony cabins on Oasis are considerably larger and Oasis has far better amenities (excluding their puny spa thermal suite).

Albeit the extra cost for NCL might go into the promotional packages, but how does that count as paying a la carte for what we want? :rolleyes: It's all a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oasis

Getaway

Now THAT is something......

Oasis and Allure were always way more expensive than any NCL ship. I would never have believed this. Thanks for sharing.

Oasis

Getaway

Might want say what the port stops for each ship is because Royal Oasis is going to Ladadee, Falmouth and Cozumel from Ft. Lauderdale. While Getaway is doing Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya , Cozumel from Miami during the same time. True, both are doing 7 days/nights but Oasis is doing 3 ports while Getaway is 4 ports.

Might want say what the port stops for each ship is because Royal Oasis is going to Ladadee, Falmouth and Cozumel from Ft. Lauderdale. While Getaway is doing Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya , Cozumel from Miami during the same time. True, both are doing 7 days/nights but Oasis is doing 3 ports while Getaway is 4 ports.

Not quite apples to apples. IMHO if I had those choices, having not sailed either ship but willing to try either, with those ports and prices I would choose the Getaway. I would pay a couple hundred more for the better ports, IMO, with ships being pretty much equal in my eyes. Plus the extra packages NCL is offering would be a bonus. The cruise line would not be a factor here at all. To be quite honest we are looking at a cruise for a family vacation in May 2016. Right now the Getaway with this itinerary is my first choice out of the 6 different ships we are looking at. It is the most expensive but only by a couple hundred dollars and I have a FCC to use up by Oct 2017 which would offset that and I love that itinerary.

The notion that the various promotional packages are "free" or "bonuses" is wishful thinking. There's no such thing as a free lunch. You're paying for it up front with the higher cruise fares that NCL is charging.

My main point in doing the RCI comparison is to show that NCL isn't the relative bargain that it once was. The base cruise fares are becoming more equal, which is a huge difference from what had been the case historically.

Hopefully we'll see a corresponding increase in the quality of food and entertainment onboard, because NCL is on the verge of charging the same (or more) for what I consider to be an inferior product. All of the various cuts seem to work against this, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm booked on a few more NCL cruises for the year (including Escape), so I'm going to try and see how the changes work with an open mind.

Oasis

Getaway

All I can say is wow, thanks for sharing. I hadn't looked at RCI Oasis class for quite some time as it seemed they were always priced higher than NCL. With all the Del Rio changes I am now motivated to give another cruise line a chance. I always wanted to cruise on the Oasis and now I have no excuse!

No way do we want 'all inclusive' with a higher base price! Why? We don't order room service. We don't eat in the specialty restaurants. We don't buy UBP, UDP or any of the other 'perks'. If we wanted all inclusive, we'd go on Crystal Cruise ships but I don't think it's worth the money. For our dollars, we'll stick with NCL without having to pay for something we won't use.

The notion that the various promotional packages are "free" or "bonuses" is wishful thinking. There's no such thing as a free lunch. You're paying for it up front with the higher cruise fares that NCL is charging.

Hopefully we'll see a corresponding increase in the quality of food and entertainment onboard, because NCL is on the verge of charging the same (or more) for what I consider to be an inferior product. All of the various cuts seem to work against this, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm booked on a few more NCL cruises for the year (including Escape), so I'm going to try and see how the changes work with an open mind.

Last year we paid $2200 for a balcony room on the Getaway with no promotions. This year, we have a minisuite on the Escape for the same week and same ports for $2500. If we had gone with a balcony again, it would have been $2100. This year, we received the UBP for free. Please show me the higher fares.

Also, I've found NCL to already have the same or better quality of entertainment than other comparable lines. That, more than the low rates, are what keep us coming back to NCL. We really like the stage shows on the new, bigger ships, and DH LOVES Howl at the Moon.