Tell me about Roaton

dramaqueenjan

we are not looking to do an excursion just to walk around the port I have seen this sky lift and know that the beach is beautiful what about the restaurants how are they are there bars to have drinks anything like Margaritaville thanks in advance

If you go under Ports of Call and find Roatan there will be a wealth of information. I asked a question over there just yesterday. I am interested in West Bay Beach but curious about how hard it is to get a taxi back. The chair lift seems nice but the beach it takes you to was built just for Carnival and I think I would prefer the real thing and feel like I actually saw the island, not just an extension of the ship.

we are not looking to do an excursion just to walk around the port I have seen this sky lift and know that the beach is beautiful what about the restaurants how are they are there bars to have drinks anything like Margaritaville thanks in advance

You will dock at Mahogney Bay, the Skylift is not worth the money. The beach is nice with plenty of free lounge chairs in the sun or shade. There is a bar right off the pier with music and many shops plus a bar/restaurant on the beach.

Get off the ship asap to get a choice beach location.

I have been to Roatan once. I did not do an excursion but I did enjoy the beach that is close to the ship. The beach was clean and the water was not rough. The beach caters to the cruise passengers and has shops, restaurants and bars. There are a lot of lounge chairs but they fill up quickly. You can pay to have the better shaded lounge chairs that are closer to the water. Instead of walking to the beach, you have the option of paying to use the chair lift ride for a scenic ride from the ship area to the beach. The walk is quick so it is not necessary to take the tram. The beach does get crowded. The day I was there, 2 Carnival ships were docked. I stayed later and I did enjoy a less crowded beach when most of the passengers headed back to the ships. I enjoyed my day at Roatan and I look forward to going back.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

If you enjoy snorkeling you must do "Tabyana Bch." (may have misspelled). It has the most beautiful reef about 50-75 feet out and the water is about 40 feet deep and crystal clear.

the bch is bright white, palm trees and a burger shack. We have been there 2 times, and would go back again if ever in Roatan again. Even if Carnival offers the tour you might plan your own (may be a lot less money). Check it our online, it is an awesome beach.

Take a taxi or get a private driver to take you over to West Bay. One of the the most beautiful beaches in the western world. They will have taxis at Fosters or Bananarama that will take you back. The driver might even stay with you to make sure you get back. Ours did.

If one stays in the Carnival shopping corral, how does one know that they are in Roatan? The stores there are basically the same as the ones in Jamaica and Cozumel (and probably Amber Cove too).

I couldn't tell one Diamonds International or Colombia Emeralds or Margaritaville from its counterpart in another enclosed port.

If one stays in the Carnival shopping corral, how does one know that they are in Roatan? The stores there are basically the same as the ones in Jamaica and Cozumel (and probably Amber Cove too).

I couldn't tell one Diamonds International or Colombia Emeralds or Margaritaville from its counterpart in another enclosed port.

Carnival doesn't want you to know where you are since the cruise lines have some vested interest in keeping you in and shopping at their stores.

• 3 weeks later...
Take a taxi or get a private driver to take you over to West Bay. One of the the most beautiful beaches in the western world. They will have taxis at Fosters or Bananarama that will take you back. The driver might even stay with you to make sure you get back. Ours did.

We have a group of 7...how much are the taxis?

• 3 months later...

This is my favorite port! We have been twice and have booked a private tour both times. We lucked up the first time and got a guy and exchanged emails with him. We stayed in touch and booked him again the next year. His name is Jeffrie and his email is Jeffrie.johnsom@gmail.com. He is awesome. We give him extra money, but he will charge around $50 and take you anywhere you wanna go. We went to see and pet some monkeys, he took us for a tour of his island, some little shops, and to the beach. He stays with you at the beach to watch over you. He even stopped the last trip by some of his friends and bought us some cookies that she had made. If you email him please tell him Kelly referred you.

• 2 weeks later...
You will dock at Mahogney Bay, the Skylift is not worth the money. The beach is nice with plenty of free lounge chairs in the sun or shade. There is a bar right off the pier with music and many shops plus a bar/restaurant on the beach.

Get off the ship asap to get a choice beach location.

If you do an excursion through Carnival that gets you a covered lounger, float, etc do they assign you one or do you have to get there early. If I have paid for one do they guarantee I get one?