Should I even change my cell phone plan for upcoming Breeze cruise?

Drrandall

We leave in 22 days on the Breeze. If I just keep my cell phone in airplane mode all week and just use the Carnival hub app, I guess I don't need to upgrade my plan?

Sucks that my billing date is right in the middle of our cruise. I'd have to pay for 2 months

We leave in 22 days on the Breeze. If I just keep my cell phone in airplane mode all week and just use the Carnival hub app, I guess I don't need to upgrade my plan?

Sucks that my billing date is right in the middle of our cruise. I'd have to pay for 2 months[/quot

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I'm curious to know what you need your cell phone for?

If it's to keep in touch with people on board you can use the Carnival Hub app to text each other.

You pay $5 for each phone and it's good for the whole cruise.

As far as calling home (if necessary) you can call from your room for $1.99 per minute which is a lot cheaper than using a cell phone.

We cruise to get away from it all so the phones are off all cruise!

Happy Sailing!

I agree with Karen. Keep it in airplane mode and you can use the Carnival app to text others on the ship.

Unless you really need to make and take calls, there is no need for any different plan.

Just called ATT. They added some international option for free. Whenever I am in Grand Caymen or Jamaica I am only charged $10 for unlimited calling, data and texting for 24 hours. Mexico is already included in my unlimited plan.

That's pretty awesome I think. I won't really use my phone probably. But it's nice to know it's so cheap if I had to call home.

"As far as calling home (if necessary) you can call from your room for $1.99 per minute which is a lot cheaper than using a cell phone."

this is just not true anymore. The big difference is at sea where only Carnival's satellite will transmait phone calls. your cell phone will not work at sea

WOW, i copy and paste and get a blue font.

"As far as calling home (if necessary) you can call from your room for $1.99 per minute which is a lot cheaper than using a cell phone."

this is just not true anymore. The big difference is at sea where only Carnival's satellite will transmait phone calls. your cell phone will not work at sea

WOW, i copy and paste and get a blue font.

Why will his cell phone not work at sea? :confused::confused:

If you have the hub app can you also talk to someone at home with it? Do data rates still apply??

The hub app works on the ships internal servers and you can only connect with other devices on the ship.

Sent from my Honor 8 on Forums mobile app.

Honestly..used to be about $13 per min. to use the cabin phone to call home!

We've always just e-mailed to "check in". (Daughter had just started college...needed to check on her)...otherwise, we are just "off the grid" for a week. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things!

Why will his cell phone not work at sea? :confused::confused:

no cell phone towers, you need your phone to display AT&T, Sprint......... and so many bars. Your phone will say Cellular at Sea, $1.99 a minute

Just called ATT. They added some international option for free. Whenever I am in Grand Caymen or Jamaica I am only charged $10 for unlimited calling, data and texting for 24 hours. Mexico is already included in my unlimited plan.

That's pretty awesome I think. I won't really use my phone probably. But it's nice to know it's so cheap if I had to call home.

Keep in mind this is based on a 24 hour clock, so your clock starts as soon as you connect and transmit in the foreign country. So say you wait til noon to turn it on, then you have til noon the next day to use it no matter what countries you move between in the 24 hour window as long as the countries are included in the plan. As soon as you cross the 24 hour mark you are charged the next $10 and the clock starts over.

You can check to see if the countries you are going to are covered by going here (most of the top ones visited are) http://att.com/globalcountries

We used our phones in Mexico to check in with family as it was included in our plans. We also had the $10 option in Belize and Roatan but didn't end up trying it. Other than that, our phones were in airplane mode and all we really used were the cameras and the Hub app.

I don't even mess with the phone at all on my cruise. I have heard horror stories about crazy bills. I would just stick to maybe a phone-card in port, or using the cabin phone for a quick check-in. I tend to be of one the "Want to get away from the real world when on vacation" people anyway.

Everyone needs to decide for themselves if they need to use there phone. On our last few cruises, the Facebook connection was all we needed but several years ago we used he Cellular at Sea for $1.49 per minute. (I am not sure of the current rate.) In port we usually made a few FaceTime calls. Generally our calls were not of necessity but just for fun to call family or friends while on a cruise.

Sucks that my billing date is right in the middle of our cruise. I'd have to pay for 2 months

The HUB app will not allow things like FB, Twitter, Snapchat etc. The only thing you can use the HUB app for is cruise related things like eating times, open bars, entertainment, account balance etc etc etc. There is a chat feature for 5.00 a device. That only allows you to chat with the people onboard with you as long as they pay too.

If you are wanting to have connection to the outside world via social media you get get an internet package. There are 3 to choose from. You do leave your phone in airplane mode with the HUB app and/or a purchased ship internet package. If you take it off of airplane mode you can/will be charged by your cell phone carrier.

This will be my first time leaving my daughter for 4 days. She will be 1.5 years. I want to be able to video chat with her or at least call her. What plans do you think is best? The cruise ship plans or getting the international plan via my carrier which is AT&T.

Depends on your itinerary, but the only way to video chat on the ship is to purchase the premium wifi plan. The lower two plans are supposed to block video chatting.

Depends on your itinerary, but the only way to video chat on the ship is to purchase the premium wifi plan. The lower two plans are supposed to block video chatting.

Thank you. I have one sea day, half moon cay and nassau. Then I am back home. I might be okay the first sea day. Half moon cay won't have wifi, i'm sure. Okay. I will have to figure this out.

Yes, if you just have it in airplane mode there is no need to change your plan. Phones aren't really necessary. We don't even take ours off of the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you travel outside of the U.S. regularly you might want to look at T-mobile. Just make sure you have good coverage where you live. With T-Mobile you get unlimited data (they do limit the speed), unlimited texts and calls are $0.20 a minute. In > 140 countries which includes most all of the Caribbean and Central America. In Mexico your phone works just like at home with LTE data and calls to U.S. at no charge.

Sadly you will still have to pay to use it on the ship.

Yes, if you just have it in airplane mode there is no need to change your plan. Phones aren't really necessary. We don't even take ours off of the ship

In your opinion! Smartphones are a lot more than a phone, GPS, calendar, alarm, Star Watch, camera, recorder, Hub App

In your opinion! Smartphones are a lot more than a phone, GPS, calendar, alarm, Star Watch, camera, recorder, Hub App

Yes, but I don't need those things off of the ship. I use the alarm, hub app, calendar, etc on the ship. I have a waterproof camera and regular camera to take with me off of the ship, along with a cheap watch. I take a taxi so I don't need a gps. I don't need a $600+ item with me on the beach. Another thing to remember is that there is a decent amount of poverty on some of the islands. It's always a good idea to leave flashy items in the safe.

And for the record, I am in my 20s and rely on my phone for everything on a regular basis...but on my 8 cruises I have never once needed in it port for anything. Sometimes it's good to take a break from every day life.

I sailed on the Legend recently with my daughter. I let her have the social plan for communicating with her boyfriend but I did not use it myself. In US ports on the Alaska itinerary I was able to text and I prefer that to calling home. I also used my phone for texting in US ports in St Thomas and San Juan last year (AT&T). I usually can find somewhere at a port to use free wi-fi. If I want to check for messages or email. Otherwise, I prefer to remain unplugged for the week.