Disappointed in Ecstasy Junior Suite

Offroad

Just so you know, we,upgraded to a JS on Ecstasy last week and was not impressed. The balcony is extremely small and the cabin is not any better than a regular balcony room which has a bigger balcony. We did receive priority boarding for the suite but not worth the price difference. Next time on Ecstasy we will just get a balcony and go FTTF.

I am not trying to be a complainer just want all to know my thoughts.

We had a wonderful cruise and a great time. Staff on Ecstasy were all nice and the food was good. :D

The junior suites on the Fantasy class leave much to be desired. Small non private balconies. Was a time that was the next best thing to getting a balcony, till they started added standard balconies to this class ship.

We had initially booked a verandah suite (junior suite) on the Elation until I came on here and read the reviews - we had booked it for the balcony, and since the balcony didn't seem to be anything that we would have liked, I upgraded to the Grand Suite. Now THAT was an amazing experience - that said, I'd rather be in a porthole or inside cabin than not be on the ship - in this case, we were able to do the upgrade thanks to some points that were due to expire, so we just cashed them all in for the upgrade ...

that said, I've learned that before sailing is the best time to check out any potential cabin issues as it's much easier in most cases to fix them before you board - had we not been able to upgrade to a grand suite, I'd have attempted to go back to an ocean-view - and if it hadn't been allowed, would at least have understood what I'd gotten myself into. I do wish those balconies were a bit nicer in the junior suites, but given that they are basically a late addition to the Fantasy class ships, better something than nothing - at least you can get some fresh air.

Just so you know, we,upgraded to a JS on Ecstasy last week and was not impressed. The balcony is extremely small and the cabin is not any better than a regular balcony room which has a bigger balcony. We did receive priority boarding for the suite but not worth the price difference. Next time on Ecstasy we will just get a balcony and go FTTF.

We had a wonderful cruise and a great time. Staff on Ecstasy were all nice and the food was good. :D

I am going to say thank you for posting. I will file this away in case this ever comes up for Carol & me.

The Junior Suites on Fantasy class ships were conceived when having a balcony was considered a luxury for an exclusive few. Obviously, these days, when some Carnival ships have as many as 80% of of all outside staterooms with balconies, these Fantasy JS's are nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yeah, they are lacking. The Ecstasy didn't have balconies originally, so they welded some on. We got one because it was my mom/grandma and me so we split it three ways. Otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the extra cost. And we had one of the few on the Verandah deck that wasn't blocked by a lifeboat.

Sorry you did not know this and it's a great reminder for the newer cruisers.

I have only been on the Ecstasy once and it was in an extended grand suite which was a great cabin.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Yeah, they are lacking. The Ecstasy didn't have balconies originally, so they welded some on. We got one because it was my mom/grandma and me so we split it three ways. Otherwise it wouldn't have been worth the extra cost. And we had one of the few on the Verandah deck that wasn't blocked by a lifeboat.

Actually, all of the Fantasy class ships were built with these. They used to be called Verandah Suites before they were called Junior Suites. The ones they welded on were cabins that used to be OV and also extensions on the Grand Suites.

I stayed in 2 JR suites on 2 different ships (fantasy and Inspiration). I do like those better then the "welded" on balconys. Those cabins have larger windows even though the balcony is small. The Welded balcony cabins still have the smaller OV window which makes the cabin look smaller even though they added a balcony. Also the Welded balconys look kinda "trailer" looking or like "Cages" from a distance.. LOL.

I also like the location of those cabins, up top and forward away from most of the noise and traffic flow of people. Only drawback, if you sleep with the balcony door open you will hear people talking from the public deck below or the forward bridge wing. But I don't let things like that bother me or deter me from booking these cabins.

Everyone has there likes and dislikes, In my case.. the more people that don't like the JR Suite cabins, give me a better chance of booking one in the future.

Edited by navyvet8395

Everyone has there likes and dislikes, In my case.. the more people that don't like the JR Suite cabins, give me a better chance of booking one in the future.

I am with you. I love the Fantasy class ships, and when on them we usually stay on the Verandah deck in a JS. We really like V1 or V2. We can participate in sail away but still be on our own balcony. After sail away, there is very seldom anyone on the bridge wing.

The more negative the reviews, the more likely we are able to book them (and maybe the better the price). We paid more for our Verandah suite on a 5 day in 1994 on the Ecstasy than our family members have paid for their OS for a 7 day on the Conquest this month.

Amazing values now!

Kevin C

Edited by kmc500

• 1 year later...

My fiance and I enjoy the suite experience so much that its the only way we cruise now. The priority check -in was a nice touch. It was quiet and out of the way on the Verandah deck, away from all the hustle and bustle on the other decks. We are about to book another cruise on the Triumph for Super Bowl in 2017. He's a little more seasoned cruiser than I am. This will be his fifth and third stay in a suite and my second for both. He's spoiling me so I will never know what it is to stay in anything less than a suite. :D I wanted to upgrade on our next cruise on the Triumph to an OS but he wants to be higher up on the ship. There are only 2 JS on the entire ship and they are located on the Lido deck. He's certain we will be lucky enough to land one. Otherwise we will be on the Empress deck with all the other suities lol.

Dani

Ecstacy 1/2014

Triumph 2/2017

Actually, all of the Fantasy class ships were built with these. They used to be called Verandah Suites before they were called Junior Suites. The ones they welded on were cabins that used to be OV and also extensions on the Grand Suites.

These were also original to the previous class, Holiday.

Here are some on Celebration:

113241740307_0_ALB.jpg

300542949207_0_ALB.jpg

I totally agree with you about the Junior Suite on the Ecstasy. In my case I upgraded from a balcony to a guaranteed suite for my anniversary. I was completely disappointed in the cabin I was assigned. I didn't gain anything from the upgrade because I am Platinum and had priority boarding anyway. The balcony was practically nonexistent. In addition, I thought the cabin would have a bathtub (as advertised on the Carnival website) but had a shower like the other rooms. Lesson learned. I will never book a guarantee cabin again and if I ever sail the Ecstasy or any other fantasy class ship I will stick with their balcony cabins if they have them.

Another here who likes the Veranda "suites" on fantasy class ships. Yes the balcony is small and overlooks a public area BUT you can't jump into the ocean(or fall)! Most of the cruise they are very private and the deck is the same. Many have no idea there are cabins on that deck, even if they see the balconies. If i get a good deal on the ship leaving from Charleston on a JS I would jump on it.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the exact same reaction to this type of cabin. Balcony was very narrow and it did not seem like a "suite" at all. I think, especially on ships that do not offer a balcony room, these rooms should be referred to as "junior balcony" vice "junior suite"

None of the jr suites on the Fantasy class ships are worth anything, including the joke of a balcony.

• 1 year later...
I am with you. I love the Fantasy class ships, and when on them we usually stay on the Verandah deck in a JS. We really like V1 or V2. We can participate in sail away but still be on our own balcony. After sail away, there is very seldom anyone on the bridge wing.

The more negative the reviews, the more likely we are able to book them (and maybe the better the price). We paid more for our Verandah suite on a 5 day in 1994 on the Ecstasy than our family members have paid for their OS for a 7 day on the Conquest this month.

Amazing values now!

Kevin C

My husband and I, I guess you'd say downgraded, from a Grand Suite to a Junior Suite on Ecstasy; V10. I'd assume people either love it or hate it. We are okay with a smaller balcony, being up higher in the ship and hoping the halls up there have a little less hustle and bustle and the stewards are less bogged down? Accurate assumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I, I guess you'd say downgraded, from a Grand Suite to a Junior Suite on Ecstasy; V10. I'd assume people either love it or hate it. We are okay with a smaller balcony, being up higher in the ship and hoping the halls up there have a little less hustle and bustle and the stewards are less bogged down? Accurate assumption?

Do you realize you replied to a post that is about 3 years old?