Camera security

We want to bring reasonably expensive DSLRs (5D2, 24-105, 70-200/f4 L, 100-400) to Alaska this spring but are worried about security. I've seen some people in various forums and formats (You Tube) claim that their safe was robbed, etc.

When you bring your camera, do you take it everywhere? (to meals, etc). Of do you stash it in your room? If so, where?

We're going to look into travel insurance for our equipment. And if we leave it behind, we'll definitely take the flash cards (so we at least don't lose our pix).

But ideas about what to do with the equipment so that it isn't an albatross around our necks or just plain a pain would be welcome. Of course, we'll always back pack it on shore.

Thanks!

We want to bring reasonably expensive DSLRs (5D2, 24-105, 70-200/f4 L, 100-400) to Alaska this spring but are worried about security. I've seen some people in various forums and formats (You Tube) claim that their safe was robbed, etc. When you bring your camera, do you take it everywhere? (to meals, etc). Of do you stash it in your room? If so, where? We're going to look into travel insurance for our equipment. And if we leave it behind, we'll definitely take the flash cards (so we at least don't lose our pix). But ideas about what to do with the equipment so that it isn't an albatross around our necks or just plain a pain would be welcome. Of course, we'll always back pack it on shore. Thanks!

Having insurance on your camera equipment based on your homeowner policy could be good and smart. I just did that and the cost was fairly reasonable. BUT, I would caution that everything you hear and/or what someone says happened does not mean that it will happen in most or all cases.

On our cruises, I have never sense a high risk for my computer and/or camera equipment left in my locked room on the ship. And, the safe is even more secure. On our recent 26-day cruise adventure, I had an extra back-up for my lap-top and kept it in the safe. At the end of each day, I would download the SD card from camera to my MacBook Pro computer, etc.

Yes, I usually take one of my cameras as I move around on the ship in order to get food pictures, capture interesting views/sunsets, etc. You do not need to live in "fear" and/or be burden with your camera equipment. That has been my experience. Things have worked well.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 21,547 views for these postings.

I agree with what Terry has said.

I just don't leave things laying around when not in room, similar when in hotels. iPads, camera gear goes in the safe. Usually though I take the camera with me for photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FWIW I've traveled many a time both cruise and hotel's with two DSLR with serious cash value. IMHO the value of what is in my laptop exceeds the cash replacement value of the camera stuff.

Generally stuff from my backpack I put under the bed or in my empty luggage, but this last cruise just left the backpack out in my suite... On several overseas similar, tuck away most of the time, sometimes just left on the bed.

I generally backup my cameras ever couple days, but never take them with me for fear of leaving them in the room, so far so good...

There will always be stories of people getting stuff stolen from safe, drawers etc., those are more the exception than the rule. If you are paranoid then get insurance, but riders are generally required.

Some thoughts....

• I wish safes were bigger that could hold a laptop, tablet, and DSLR
  • when dining I noticed many guests feel very comfortable leaving items which they see me carrying around (ie DSLR)... I'm not so trusting.
  • I guess I could hang the privacy card outside my door like a hotel... however cruise ships are not hotels where staff appear to be constantly entering to turn over beds and making towel animals

I usually just lock my laptop and larger DSLR, lenses, gear, etc., in one of my empty suitcases if I plan on being out and about for a significant amount of time.

Its never been a big concern for me because we all know that if a crook wants your stuff, (s)he will find a way. Its more about just keeping honest people honest.

Some additional information on insuring expensive camera gear: check with your insurance agent about a personal articles policy. Depending on your homeowners policy (including deductibles, terms, and exclusions), this can be a better way to go for insuring separate, high-value items (art, jewelry, cameras).

Some additional information on insuring expensive camera gear: check with your insurance agent about a personal articles policy. Depending on your homeowners policy (including deductibles, terms, and exclusions), this can be a better way to go for insuring separate, high-value items (art, jewelry, cameras).

Excellent above points by Turtles06 and others. Yes, check with your insurance agent!! When I set up the insurance coverage for my costly laptop and the variety of camera equipment, a separate rider provided a key different. There would be no deductible involved. If I needed to file a claim just through my regular homeowner plan, the $1000 deductable would apply. Things vary much depending on your insurance company and the state where you live. Check it out and consider your options.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 105,847 views for this posting.

Yes, it occurred to me that I will probably be wanting a camera even at dinner, just in case someone sees a whale or something, LOL. So I suspect it will go with us even when we're at dinner.

But I like the locking it in the suitcase idea. What kind of lock do you use? We just bought some new luggage for this trip from Costco and realized, whoops! it doesn't lock. So we're looking at getting some TSA locks for it.

But I like the locking it in the suitcase idea. What kind of lock do you use? We just bought some new luggage for this trip from Costco and realized, whoops! it doesn't lock. So we're looking at getting some TSA locks for it.

I purchased my TSA locks at Walmart. You should be able to find them pretty much anywhere that sells luggage.

Pretty much looks like these. Only I bought them in the store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lock-4684T-Assorted-Colors-Luggage-Locks/19870061?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs-2-b2&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=O2BMeUQZqY-1zKwUa-UTBY&category=&client_guid=b3e5f53a-db86-4fcd-83f5-4cb3e8ebe2fb&customer_id_enc=&config_id=2&item_id&parent_item_id=15837807&parent_anchor_item_id=15837807&guid=b2cc62da-325c-470a-97ec-cd2672583f8d&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

I purchased my TSA locks at Walmart. You should be able to find them pretty much anywhere that sells luggage. Pretty much looks like these. Only I bought them in the store.

Great tip on those types of locks. A big plus with the combination-type of luggage lock is not having to worry about losing a key or remembering where it is at. Make sure it is a TSA-approved lock.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 197,461 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We've done three Alaska cruises with upwards of $35k of gear. At most, the big lens was locked to the permanent furniture in the room using a laptop-style security cable. Images were stored on hard drives, one of which was in the safe at all times.

We have our camera gear insured through a Valuable Personal Property policy alongside our homeowners coverage. It's full replacement cost, no deductible coverage: very convenient on the one time I used it, and roughly 1.5% of retail value per year. We get the damage and theft insurance from our gear rental provider ("LensCap+", from LensRentals.com) for the tiny chance that something rented gets stolen (they required it or equivalent on the big lens).

Personally, I've felt no concern that it'd get stolen. We've left everything out where the room steward could see it, though not necessarily in plain view from the hallway. For what it's worth, I've worked hard over the years to come up with ways to carry everything on me in such a way that I don't have to take off/put on a backpack or similar to do any shooting. I think that's helped my comfort level a bit.

Yes, it occurred to me that I will probably be wanting a camera even at dinner, just in case someone sees a whale or something, LOL. So I suspect it will go with us even when we're at dinner.

I would lock your camera in the safe, opposed to a suitcase. Keys to suitcases can be the same. I was on one cruise and I left the keys to my suitcase at home by mistake and the Cabin Steward went and got some keys and found the one that opened mine.

I've taken my Nikon camera and lenses on many, many cruises and have even left them out on the bed and I still have them today. I do, however, usually lock them in the safe.

I always had my camera (with my longest lens) with me when we went to Alaska. You never know what might pop up!

When I do leave my equipment in my room, I usually hide it from plain view (in a locked luggage or backpack). Ive never had a problem.

We want to bring reasonably expensive DSLRs (5D2, 24-105, 70-200/f4 L, 100-400) to Alaska this spring but are worried about security. I've seen some people in various forums and formats (You Tube) claim that their safe was robbed, etc.

When you bring your camera, do you take it everywhere? (to meals, etc). Of do you stash it in your room? If so, where?

We're going to look into travel insurance for our equipment. And if we leave it behind, we'll definitely take the flash cards (so we at least don't lose our pix).

But ideas about what to do with the equipment so that it isn't an albatross around our necks or just plain a pain would be welcome. Of course, we'll always back pack it on shore.

Thanks!

I have 3 cameras and multiple lenses plus laptop, iPad and iPhone. While on board, most of my gear is on the desk or in drawers/shelves by the desk. Safe is used for important papers and jewelry. When I go ashore I take a selection of camera and lenses depending on my photo plans for the day. The rest stays where it was in drawers or on shelves. In short: relax, enjoy the trip, and don't worry about "things" which are replaceable.