Should I be concerned booking with Oceania

TraceyB

We have booked ourselves on the Nautica and were so excited. Having never sailed on Oceania I started looking through the reviews. Found one from a doctor who sailed on the Nautica and was concerned re the onboard doctors qualifications. We were so looking forward to sailing on the Nautica now confused. Please can you give me honest reviews for the ship. Thanks so much for any info. Tracey

We have booked ourselves on the Nautica and were so excited. Having never sailed on Oceania I started looking through the reviews. Found one from a doctor who sailed on the Nautica and was concerned re the onboard doctors qualifications. We were so looking forward to sailing on the Nautica now confused. Please can you give me honest reviews for the ship. Thanks so much for any info. Tracey

We are about to leave on our 19th cruise on Oceania and then we are booked on the January 10, 2015, 180 day around the world cruise. I would not hesitate to sail on Oceania. Last year we both had to visit the medical facility and we were quite impressed with the services that they can provide and the care they can give.

Unfortunately in life everything is not perfect all of the time, but don't let one person's review stop you.

Cenia

I broke my toe on one O cruise-caught it on the foot of the bed-silly me. Anyway, I went right down to the medical center, got seen immediately, got an xray, got taped up and retaped the next day, after which we left for home. When I got home, the podiatrist said the ship doctor had done an excellent job of taping.

Travel insurance paid the bill.

We just got back from a 12 day trip on the Nautica. Fortunately, we did not need to use the medical services. Unfortunately, another passenger did on the only day at sea of the trip. We changed our course to sail closer to Greece and a military helicopter hovered while the man was lifted up on stretcher and then his wife followed in tandem with someone from the helicopter. It was emotional to watch as everybody stood on deck, but also reassuring that Oceania would take the appropriate action in a medical emergency.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about the Nautica or her staff. She looked good after her rehaul and everything was very clean. The staff was efficient and responsive whether cabin, dining, bars or front desk. They never passed you without a greeting. The entertainment staff that have to do double duty were particularly fun and easy to interact with and performed well. The other nightly shows leaned toward the classical, not my particular interest, but were well attended, so pleasing to a majority of the passengers. Julie, the cruise director, has a warm engaging personality and was very visible the whole trip. So, I would have no hesitation about taking another trip on the Nautica. While I missed Jacques and Red Ginger and wish the cabins were a tad bigger, I liked the intimacy of the Nautica.

I am sure that had to do with the cruise we on (Capetown to Singapore). The doctor was really bad and as it turns out had his medical license in the US suspended. Oceania very quickly replaced him very early in the cruise.

I had a severe infection in the south pacific, So much so that almost killed me and required 2 weeks of treatment on Marina.

As former medical professionals, my wife and I were totally blown away with the quality of the ships hospital its doctor and nurses. They had equipment in many cases superior to that you would find in your home town hospital unless it was John Hopkins or the Mayo.....

The treatment was so superior that no hospital along our route could provide better service....

The medical staff rotates from ship to ship... and All ships hospitals are equipped alike I was told so your in dam good hands should you need it

I would not worry. There are so many functions and areas of responsibility besides medical that one must trust that O has staffed properly. For example, provisioning, engineering, navigation, deck, etc. All on board (passengers and crew) depend on their functioning well. You could say we are all in the same boat ... To use a phrase.

My DH had an injury on Marina, the Dr & staff were very professional, altho the charge for treatment was expensive. Our insurance covered the cost no problems. The thing I would be concerned with is choosing the proper insurance, you are in good hands sailing with O, you will enjoy Nautica

I had a knee injury just before we boarded Regatta in Barcelona in Nov '05 and the doctor was great. (Expensive! But insurance did pick up the cost in the end.)

DH has had visits for more minor problems on more recent trips. We have never had a complaint about service from the medical staff on Oceania's ships.

I do think that you can trust the comments here more than the one negative review you saw elsewhere.

On our May cruise on Marina a passenger had a heart attack and was quickly airlifted off the ship (we were close to port at the time).

Mura

We enjoy Oceania cruising. We had only one incident that involved the doctor on board. Noro virus struck and a few passengers went to the medical facility. They were charged a lot of money for the visit, which kept other passengers from seeking medical help. Needless to say, these people were not quarantined and many other passengers became ill.

On a recent cruise on the Pacific Princess, Noro struck, but passengers were treated for free in the medical facility. The virus was quickly contained as people who were ill were treated and quarantined.

Just off Oceania Insignia and our stateroom was opposite the medical center. I passed it daily and it was always clean, calm, not too busy and the few patients I talked with were very well satisfied. Not many other vacation options have trained and ready medical staff right next to the elevator.

I had not been on Oceania in 5 years and the ship was in wonderful shape, the food was great, service friendly and personal (always knew our names and greeted us as good friends), entertainment much better than before, and all in all a wonderful vacation. Wish I was back in my little cabin!

Thanks again everyone. Feel much better about it all now. I found it in the review section of Cruise critic. It may have been a few posts down. But not worried anymore. Not because of this incident but we are now booked on the Insignia. After reading all of the reviews Oceania seems like a great line. Tracey

Thanks again everyone. Feel much better about it all now. I found it in the review section of Cruise critic. It may have been a few posts down. But not worried anymore. Not because of this incident but we are now booked on the Insignia. After reading all of the reviews Oceania seems like a great line. Tracey

The incident was in 2012 ...O may have their act together by now ;)