Lunch in San Francisco

nic

I love to go to the Ferry Building. Fast Casual stuff. They have a great Farmer's Market a few days a week. I usually get some cheese from The Cowgirl Creamery - my favorite is their Red Hawk;

The Great Eastern is wonderful Dim Sum.

There are probably 100+ or more places - what would you want to eat you could not get onboard?

Boulevard Restaurant, several blocks from the Ferry Building, is perfect for lunch, fairly expensive but with a solid SF vibe. Also, it's a stone's throw from the waterfront and could be a nice stopping point during a walk along the water. You should make reservations. http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com

As previously mentioned, Tadich's Grill is a fantastic seafood restaurant, but, alas, is too snooty to take reservations, so you usually have to wait for about one hour to get seated. However, if you're able to go there around 3 or 4 pm, the wait is more reasonable.

http://www.tadichgrill.com/

If you want to venture across the Golden Gate Bridge, there's a place called Murray Circle Restaurant that is located on the premises of Cavallo Point Lodge, which is gorgeously situated just past the northern end of the bridge, on the grounds of the former Fort Baker. The food and ambiance are very good, and walking around the resort will give you tremendous views of San Francisco.

http://www.cavallopoint.com/

The Slanted Door at the Ferry Building is pretty darn extraordinary. Not only will you get some of the best Viet Namese cuisine in the US, but you will have fund exploring the great markets in the Ferry Bldg. Otherwise, we both worked in downtown SF for many years and had many great meals (and continue to dine) on Belden Allen between Bush and Pine just up the hill from the Financial District. It's a one-block pedestrian street lined with an eclectic mix of restos. Pick your favorite based upon your taste: French, Belgian, Catalan, Italian, Greek, etc. Lots of outdoor seating. You can walk there from whatever Pier your ship docks at.

Brazilgirl suggested Al's Place, which is all over the media as chose by Bon Appetit for some special accolade. It's a very long distance from the waterfront, but in a super-cool neighborhood.

I love eating in SF. What a treat! I once ate at an Italian restaurant in the Francis Drake hotel. Maybe it isn't even there any longer but I remember having a fantastic lunch.

I am not certain that you could go wrong anyplace you tried. It is all so delicious. What a great "eat out" city.

Chris

I am not the on who asked, but thank you for all this great information. I will be printing this page and will use this when we get off the ship there.

Carol

Carol, we are on the same cruise and we are thinking about staying in SFO for a few days as we have friends there. We love the Bay area.

I love eating in SF. What a treat! I once ate at an Italian restaurant in the Francis Drake hotel. Maybe it isn't even there any longer but I remember having a fantastic lunch.

Scala's at the Sir Francis Drake is still there. They also serve a wonderful breakfast (eggs benedict) and strong Italian roast coffee that will keep you awake for a week......

http://www.scalasbistro.com/

I am not certain that you could go wrong anyplace you tried. It is all so delicious. What a great "eat out" city.

Chris

America's best food city according to Bon Appetit.

Of course, the only exception is pizza, with that honor going to DiFara's on J Street in Brooklyn (at least, according to the NYT).

Totally agree! Yank Sing is our go-to spot for lunch in San Francisco.

Marilyn

I second that. If you're not familiar with dim sum, do some research and how to do it. They come around with carts and you pick, and you are charged at the end by the plates on the table. It's really good.

Carol, we are on the same cruise and we are thinking about staying in SFO for a few days as we have friends there. We love the Bay area.

Looking forward to meeting you both. We have figured out SF and most of our plans there. Now working on our LA plans before we take the train back home.

Carol

Another place to try at Pier 5 is Coqueta. Small tapas type dishes. Had the whole branzino last night which was excellent. Must have reservations!

I second Butterfly (next to the old cruise terminal) and Yank Sing.

R&G Lounge on Kearny for their famous fried crab!

The Beer Hall on 1 Polk Street (at Market) for some great variety of beers!