Silver Muse 6/21 to 7/3/17 Part 3

kloreece

Dinner Reservations:

There has been much discussion regarding dining on this ship. I kept an open mind and now can comment because I have sailed on the ship. I made reservations through the app at 12:01 a.m., on the day of the ability to do so. Here, the ship plays games with reservations. I don’t know if someone is paying someone off or what - but there does appear to be favoritism. I heard multiple people who could not get reservation and I ate at La Dame with an empty table next to me the entire night which was a shame. Whatever the reason, the cruise costs too much for this level of aggravation. I have no interest in going on vacation and having to fight to eat.

Also, my first night, I was rudely approached by the maitre D due to my video camera. Supposedly, video camera background images somehow invades other’s privacy and images on camera does not. Then he lied and said it was the light on the camera as if cameras and phones do not have flashes. I follow the rules but not being able to use my video camera, camera or iPhone makes no sense. So ban every means of images of others to protect privacy or do not accost people taking pictures or video of their experience. I suggest if Silversea is trying to build a following with a younger generation, it update its outlook. Or, simply advise what is permitted on the cruise so people can opt not to choose its line.

The Food:

The overall food review: average but presented well. I would not describe it as “exquisite” but I recognize I live in NYC and frequent excellent restaurants at all price points.

My favorites: Kaiseki and Le Dame.

The Dress Code:

Overall, most people were appropriately dressed for their dinner. Even if not dressed up, no one stood out as poorly dressed. However, the inconsistencies with dressing at night can be off-putting and other expressed that sentiment as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just thought the food was tasty. I have been to that type of restaurant before but the emphasis was not in the show. One cook had level 1 skills and the other was hyper absorbed in plating and getting his food delivered to the table hot.

I don’t know if someone is paying someone off or what - but there does appear to be favoritism. I heard multiple people who could not get reservations

Not quite sure what to make of that. Did you personally have the situation you were unable to get reservations?

I was on the previous sailing to you and like you had made reservations in advance. I didn't get any issues at all with mine and actually changed several onboard without problem. I certainly am not part of any special treatment or favouritism, but I do wonder if those you heard complaining understand that with nearly 600 passengers on board they can't all fit in to a single restaurant for 140 people and why reservations were put in place? In all SS ships reservations have been necessary in all restaurants with the exception of the MDR. This does give greater flexibility but reduces the choice and is not an option for the Muse.

Depending on your perspective that's either a good thing or a bad thing. I can see both sides to the "argument", though personally prefer more choice and given I had zero problems to adversely affect me as an individual, maybe that might have changed if I had reservations cancelled, but I didn't. That said, my next cruise is back to the old MDR concept on the Spirit and my SS favourite is the Wind.

I was aware on mine of a solo traveller who said had reservations for Atlantide but said turned away (twice) because she was solo. My first thoughts were that was disgraceful, but I do wonder how truthful her comment was (based on other things she said during the cruise.) I do now wonder if she was simply asked to wait a mo and took exception to it. I'll never know I guess. I did however report it faithfully in my own review.

On the empty table in La Dame, people sometime just don't show up. Hopefully they were billed if that was the case and I share your disappoint that someone else missed out on the experience. How did you enjoy that meal? I never ate there but did like the look of the restaurant.

You mentioned you were asked to switch off your video camera. Was it one that had its own permanent bright light source when filming which obviously would be an annoyance to other guests enjoying a meal. I don't really think you can compare that to a camera flash going off if that's what you were using. I've never heard of anyone being told they can't take photos ... in fact the opposite. Waiters will volunteer to take them so all the party can be in the photo.

I'm not old, and I'm not a techophobe. But. I applaud the "no videocams in the dining room" policy.

I think, flash or not, there is a huge difference between taking a picture (of your food, of your table, of your waiter) and video-ing the experience - which is bound to include people that want no part of some stranger's vlog, and no desire to end up on some stranger's youtube channel.

I'm not old, and I'm not a techophobe. But. I applaud the "no videocams in the dining room" policy.

I think, flash or not, there is a huge difference between taking a picture (of your food, of your table, of your waiter) and video-ing the experience - which is bound to include people that want no part of some stranger's vlog, and no desire to end up on some stranger's youtube channel.

I entriely agree with you, but I think the OP was as concerned or more concerned agout the way in which she was dealt with which she described as rudely. I'd expect more from an SS MD ..... a quiet private hushed word.

But she makes a reasonable point that perhaps you would agree with in that you having your picture posted on a web site without your agreement or knowledge is presumably as annoying whether it is a video or still.

I made a reservation prior to boarding that was not honored. Or suddenly changed. For the special restaurants like Le Dame, I reserved only once recognizing everyone would want to eat there. So I didn't book those every night.

I was called two days repestedly asking if we would share our table at the Silver Note. Ckearly, they were trying to maximize seating. By the way, I agreed.

I went to a restaurant and saw and spoke to people at the bar trying to get a table. Or hoping to be seated anyway. I invited them to join me.

I had people tell me they couldn't get reservations.

The table at Le Dame could have been offered to other cruisers. If you can't call and cancel, then I am fine with one losing a reservation. I had someone tell me they couldn't get in. They would have happily taken that table.

Silver Note, Le Dame and the Japanese restaurant are tiny. Too tiny for a cruise ship. They should use the reception area space/lounge more wisely. No one really utilizes that space but everyone eats dinner.

The video camera is a big deal for me because I video my mother's vacation which she enjoys re watching for years. I was not bothering anyone anymore than the people gathering behind me snapping multiple photos of which I am sure my image appears in some. I am also confident I am back ground noise to their pictures. I also was not bothered by their enjoying their vacation that they paid for and do not begrudge their making memories. By the way, I hadn't gotten out of the back foyer when accosted. Rest assured, you will never be bothered by me on Silversea as I doubt I will ever cruise it again.

Anyway, my experience. My opinion. Yours may differ.

Karen, thank you for sharing your Muse experience....it seems there are still issues to be ironed out with the dining.

l have heard through the grapevine that Indochine and Atlantide are to be made into one large dining room....how true that is l don't know...the same source has also said that the dress code will now be like the rest of the fleet.....so here's hoping!

The video/ photographing on board should be up to the individual filming....as we know there are no official photographers on board and most who wish to have memories of their voyage are very very considerate as I'm certain you will have been......so no need to be 'attacked ' by the staff for doing so and l think it only takes one passenger to moan about it for some 'senior' crew to spring into action with glee and often publicly which is bang out of order.

I have however seen folk filming ad hoc with no consideration for privacy to others...sadly it's the minority who spoil it as usual.......if the minority would quite simply give me notice I'd don my Joan Collins look for the occasion....😉

Sophia 😊

l have heard through the grapevine that Indochine and Atlantide are to be made into one large dining room....how true that is l don't know...

For the benefit of those of us who have not (yet?) been on Muse, could someone opine on how easy this transformation would be. Are the two rooms so located that a couple of walls could be knocked down overnight? Or would this transformation have to await the ship's going into dry dock?

I made a reservation prior to boarding that was not honored. Or suddenly changed.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the online booking engine is a big weakness at SS, especially as it comes to the dining experience.

What most folks fail to realize is the SS booking engine is a Request system, not a Reservation system, even though the language within MySilversea certainly gives the impression it is a Reservation system. Dining requests submitted online are not reservations until one embarks and receives the confirmation letter in their suite.

It's unfortunate in this day and age of technology that SS can't rectify the system, let alone how they characterize it online. Karen's experience clearly demonstrates that it continues to leave a bad impression in passengers' minds who feel they made a reservation that was not honored or changed out right. Licensing technology such as Open Table would literally resolve this problem in one fell swoop.

For the benefit of those of us who have not (yet?) been on Muse, could someone opine on how easy this transformation would be. Are the two rooms so located that a couple of walls could be knocked down overnight? Or would this transformation have to await the ship's going into dry dock?

They are adjacent but if that was going to happen it would be quite a major refit though not as bit as the other rumour I'd heard.

There seems to be several rumours about but nothing concrete has been announced. I'd been told they were simply removing the necessity for reservations, but in truth I can't see how will help the situation unless the unlikely event happens and guests chose to use these restaurants to the appropriate capacity. I suspect these guest who didn't make reservations were trying to get access to Atlantide, though it may have been the much smaller Silver Note. Would it matter if you couldn't get a reservation or simply turned away because it was full in a free for all?

Indochine always seemed quite empty whereas Atlantide full. That tells its own tale, though as I've mentioned, my personal preference was the opposite of the majority it seems.

I'd also been told they were looking at doing something with Dolce Vita on the 5th floor which would make a massive amount of sense as it's just a wasted space. But that would be a major refit which is why I'd be very surprised if any full scale changes took place for some time apart from what seems to be the removal of reservation requirements. As I said, in some respect I actually think it may cause further problems instead of solve. Whatever the case, I'm quite easy on what's decided and hope it works. The Muse is a fantastic ship and I think even the most critical agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the online booking engine is a big weakness at SS, especially as it comes to the dining experience.

What most folks fail to realize is the SS booking engine is a Request system, not a Reservation system, even though the language within MySilversea certainly gives the impression it is a Reservation system. Dining requests submitted online are not reservations until one embarks and receives the confirmation letter in their suite.

It's unfortunate in this day and age of technology that SS can't rectify the system, let alone how they characterize it online. Karen's experience clearly demonstrates that it continues to leave a bad impression in passengers' minds who feel they made a reservation that was not honored or changed out right. Licensing technology such as Open Table would literally resolve this problem in one fell swoop.

Being a request system instead of a guaranteed reservation system makes the whole situation even more egregious imo. SS is telling me there is no open seating, you have to reserve months in advance but that reservation may or may not be honored. Obviously, they have realized this was all a huge mistake and are trying to find a means to rectify things. But the design of the restaurants on the ship was a major flaw to begin with and it may not be so easy.

Being a request system instead of a guaranteed reservation system makes the whole situation even more egregious imo.
I agree. But, it's been that way for years. Doesn't make it any less egregious, just means those of us who have sailed with SS before know how to work the ins-and-outs, whereas new passengers are left frustrated. I know I would be if I were a newbie to SS.

Yes. I think so. I don't know why they need to do that though. Just expand the menus. Which get boring over multiple meals. I found Indochine the emptiest of restaurants.

Being a request system instead of a guaranteed reservation system makes the whole situation even more egregious imo. SS is telling me there is no open seating, you have to reserve months in advance but that reservation may or may not be honored. Obviously, they have realized this was all a huge mistake and are trying to find a means to rectify things. But the design of the restaurants on the ship was a major flaw to begin with and it may not be so easy.

Totally agree.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I believe that someone posted that Indochina and Atlantide share a common galley. Is this the case? In that case, could it not be possible for people in one restaurant to order items on the menu in the other? I understand that this would perhaps imply more hassle for the waitstaff, but (and especially if the menus changed from time to time) such an arrangement would make the two restaurants something close to an MDR.

Re the video or any camera.

I ask before I take pictures of others. Often they don't want to be in any image, moving or not, if they can be identified. They may not want their image published on the internet anywhere.

I didn't know there was a policy on Silversea regarding videotaping or photography, and if so, I hope it is enforced universally rather than not.

I agree. But, it's been that way for years. Doesn't make it any less egregious, just means those of us who have sailed with SS before know how to work the ins-and-outs, whereas new passengers are left frustrated. I know I would be if I were a newbie to SS.

It has been that way of years but it didn't matter as much as long as there was an open seating MDR. Without that it'a a whole different ball game.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I believe that someone posted that Indochina and Atlantide share a common galley. Is this the case? In that case, could it not be possible for people in one restaurant to order items on the menu in the other? I understand that this would perhaps imply more hassle for the waitstaff, but (and especially if the menus changed from time to time) such an arrangement would make the two restaurants something close to an MDR.

Funnily, I never actually paid attention to where the food was coming from - though I don't think it was a shared galley and agree if you could order from one for the other if would benefit.... However.... it could also be a logistical nightmare if you've provisions for 140 in Atlantide but suddenly find you are severing Atlantide food to 320! There is no easy or obvious solution. Of course it could work if you limit the choices and say removed the Indochine menu altogether. And there lies the problem - when you give choice it makes limitations. Personally, having traveled on the Muse and experienced zero problems with any of the restaurants or reservations, I'd prefer it left as it is.

It has been that way of years but it didn't matter as much as long as there was an open seating MDR. Without that it'a a whole different ball game.

There is no guarantee you will get a table for the number of guests in your group or be certain to be seated without a wait with a MDR either. Unless of course you make a reservation...... lol

Re the video or any camera.

I ask before I take pictures of others. Often they don't want to be in any image, moving or not, if they can be identified. They may not want their image published on the internet anywhere.

I didn't know there was a policy on Silversea regarding videotaping or photography, and if so, I hope it is enforced universally rather than not.

There is no such policy or that's what corporate texted me while on board. Frankly, I was in the back foyer shooting the ceiling and just the décor. I had been there for literally 2 seconds when someone flew over. The restaurant was far from crowded and the table nearest me must have been 50 feet from me. I am not inconsiderate. And I a also not interested in strangers. We wanted to be able to look back at the restaurant. Not the people. But if I can be background in your photos; you can be background in my photos and video. My opinion. (not you personally)

There is no such policy or that's what corporate texted me while on board. Frankly, I was in the back foyer shooting the ceiling and just the décor. I had been there for literally 2 seconds when someone flew over. The restaurant was far from crowded and the table nearest me must have been 50 feet from me. I am not inconsiderate. And I a also not interested in strangers. We wanted to be able to look back at the restaurant. Not the people. But if I can be background in your photos; you can be background in my photos and video. My opinion. (not you personally)

What are you saying is the foyer? Outside the restaurants in the shared area, in the bar? Inside the door were the maitre D is dealing with reservations? I'm just trying to work out where you mean that takes would be 50 feet away. I can't think that you can actually see any tables at all from those places until you actually step inside the seating area.

On the subject of videoing though, I've not looked through the T&Cs and booking conditions and you may well be right there is no specific policy regarding videoing. (Ive not looked as I said), but I'm fairly sure there will be a mention in there about being considerate to other guests. I'd personally not be too bothered if you were panning your camera around the restaurant or intending to do so, but I can understand completely why people might object to being video'd eating. I expect discretion and consideration being the key part. It would be most off to have someone march over to you telling you not to film of the nearest table was 50 feet away so it really is strange that it happened. Ive certainly never heard of anything like it before.

I did take my phone with me and took photos in the restaurants - but the vast majority were off the delicious offerings served in front of me. and nothing else. I certainly don't worry if people on the next table are taking still photos of each other. The waiters are also all happy to take photos for you so there certainly cant be a problem with photos.

Edited by les37b