Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

WE are going to Hawaii thurs.. 8 days 7 nights at a very nice resort. Upgraded room 2100 dollars., including non stop air on Hawaiian Air. My last cruise was about 3800 dollars, including RT air to San Juan. Factor in spending money it was almost 4500. I know we will not eat nor drink nor spend 300 a day in hawaii...been there quite a few times...plus I do not have to worry about the fashion police, since everyone will be in aloha shirts, which is formal in Hawaii.

My statement was kinda bland as a lot of factors come in like type of hotel, type of cabin, where you're traveling from, which island/ship you're on etc. I just know my last cruise compared to my last hawaii trip don't compare. That is why I'm going on a cruise this year.

WE are going to Hawaii thurs.. 8 days 7 nights at a very nice resort. Upgraded room 2100 dollars., including non stop air on Hawaiian Air. My last cruise was about 3800 dollars, including RT air to San Juan. Factor in spending money it was almost 4500. I know we will not eat nor drink nor spend 300 a day in hawaii...been there quite a few times...plus I do not have to worry about the fashion police, since everyone will be in aloha shirts, which is formal in Hawaii.

Wow...our land based vacations are a lot more expensive than our cruises! And we sail in a balcony or Jr Suite. We don't consider cruising to be an upscale vacation and would prefer a much more relaxed dress policy.

Edited by dplusd
sp

WE are going to Hawaii thurs.. 8 days 7 nights at a very nice resort. Upgraded room 2100 dollars., including non stop air on Hawaiian Air.

Pardon me for being skeptical, but the cheapest HA non-stops from the bay area are $500pp, with typical non-stops being $600-$700pp. You are traveling in peak "Spring Break" period where "nice" resorts are charging $250-$350 per night, and the "very nice" resorts are charging $500+.

Assuming you did get a decent package deal where your airfare is $1000, that leaves $1100, or ~$150 per night for the "resort".

So you are:

Getting one awesome deal, and that really isn't comparable to non-deal trips

You aren't really staying in as nice a place as you think

or

There is something seriously missing from this quote.

But this is a cruise forum, so my skepticism is out of place.

I dislike these age based assumptions. I am 63 and I'm one of the folks who prefer shorts. I don't think age has anything to do with it. If anything, I spent my entire adult life dressed up for work and every other event and now I like to be comfortable - in shorts. Again (to prevent the flamers), if the rules require slacks, I will wear slacks.

I do not understand all these polls and questions about dress code in the MDR.

Do people honestly think RCI is going to change their policies based on a few threads on CC?

What gets accomplished other than a debate and accusations?

I'm just confused...

Do people honestly think RCI is going to change their policies based on a few threads on CC?

No. But other items have been changed in the past few years that were hot topics such as bringing wine onboard (used to now be allowed) and drink packages (used to be everyone in cabin had to buy).

Everything starts with discussion and debate. I expect nothing to change because of one thread, or even a few threads. But they are a barometer for sea change coming.

This cracks me up.

People do not read responses, I guess.

People: From what I saw in the Compass last week: Shorts ARE allowed in the MDR now for dinner. They only ask that they not be worn in the Specialty Restaurants. They do specify no bathing suits or barefeet in the MDR - nothing about shorts.

This IS a departure from our March 2014 cruise where is specifically said "Please no short pants" in the MDR section of the compass. Not this time.. they removed it.

No longer are the short wearers going against "Suggested Attire" on casual nights.

This cracks me up.

Nothing personal, but I've seen many responses that turned out to be wrong, so I'm sort of a show-me type person with things I read here. Maybe they have totally gone away from requesting no shorts in the dining room, maybe they've just done it on that ship, maybe it was a misprint . . . It's hard to trust a grand pronouncement of an overall change in policy based on one person's anecdotal response.

But, as I said, it's nothing personal about you. Similarly, one other person reported a recent cruise in which they saw someone told that they would not be allowed in the dining room in shorts. I don't automatically believe that to be an overall change in policy, either.

No. But other items have been changed in the past few years that were hot topics such as bringing wine onboard (used to now be allowed) and drink packages (used to be everyone in cabin had to buy).

Everything starts with discussion and debate. I expect nothing to change because of one thread, or even a few threads. But they are a barometer for sea change coming.

I tend to think the bringing two bottles of wine onboard and the drink package rules were changed to bring them more in line with Celebrity - who already allowed those things - rather than because a few people make a fuss on Cruise Critic.

If they bring the MDR rules more in line with Celebrity they're less likely to allow shorts in there. Have often seen shorts in MDR on Royal but never on Celebrity.

This cracks me up.

People: From what I saw in the Compass last week: Shorts ARE allowed in the MDR now for dinner. They only ask that they not be worn in the Specialty Restaurants. They do specify no bathing suits or barefeet in the MDR - nothing about shorts.

This IS a departure from our March 2014 cruise where is specifically said "Please no short pants" in the MDR section of the compass. Not this time.. they removed it.

No longer are the short wearers going against "Suggested Attire" on casual nights.

It did get missed by me in the jumble. I usually check notifications instead of all messages and it doesn't appear I am notified of all. I appreciate you chiming in with you l recent personal experience

This cracks me up.

Isn't just the first night casual since you may not have your bags?

What about Smart Casual and Formal Nights?

I would say yes on the condition that they are like Golf shorts/dress shorts as opposed to cargo shorts or nylon workout shorts.

If they would allow shorts then it just has to say shorts. If "nice" shorts would be stipulated, there would be various interpretations of nice. Then, people would say, I wear my shorts to nice restaurants on land, I wore my workout shorts and wasn't turned away, it's your vacation so wear what you want, it's only a suggestion and on and on.:D

FWIW, I did look around at some various recent compasses that were posted online. I didn't see what you describe. Those I found still mentioned shorts as being not allowed in the MDR for dinner.

One thing I found interesting, though, was that some of them actually had different language on formal nights than on other nights. Formal nights listed "Tonight's Attire: Formal", while other nights read, for example, "Tonight's Suggested Attire: Smart Casual." The word "suggested" was absent from the description on formal nights. Not that I think that really means anything. I still don't think they would require formalwear. But it was a conspicuous difference, since I was specifically looking for language about attire.

Isn't just the first night casual since you may not have your bags?

What about Smart Casual and Formal Nights?

Nope, this language was there on two of the "casual" nights. I only noticed on day 5 or 6 of the cruise after I specifically looked because I noticed a significant (10-15%) number of people wearing shorts. I did not keep any of the compasses this year.

FWIW, I did look around at some various recent compasses that were posted online. I didn't see what you describe.

How strange. Because I DID see what Todd described on every Compass I looked at from 2015.

Edited by ryano

FWIW, I did look around at some various recent compasses that were posted online. I didn't see what you describe. Those I found still mentioned shorts as being not allowed in the MDR for dinner.

One thing I found interesting, though, was that some of them actually had different language on formal nights than on other nights. Formal nights listed "Tonight's Attire: Formal", while other nights read, for example, "Tonight's Suggested Attire: Smart Casual." The word "suggested" was absent from the description on formal nights. Not that I think that really means anything. I still don't think they would require formalwear. But it was a conspicuous difference, since I was specifically looking for language about attire.

Perhaps we are seeing the same thing, but interpreting things differently? I just looked up a few compasses online, and I see the exact same wording I am talking about. I'll explain my view in more detail.

The Dining Schedule of the Daily Planner (Compass) has an entire column telling us of all the food options.

It lists Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Options, and lists the restaurants open during those times. Right underneath the Dinner section, it says this: "Bare feet and swim wear are not permitted in the Dining Room or Windjammer Cafe at anytime"

Then there is a section called "Specialty Dining" where it lists Chops, etc and the times for those venues. Underneath that, it says the following: "Dress Suggestion: Smart Casual (this was a smart casual night). No short pants please." Within the same paragraph it continues with "Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged $10 per person".

Then.. at the bottom of this column, it shows the "Snacks" options with their locations and times.

So... Since the Dress Suggestion part (indicating no short pants) is clearly within the "Specialty Dining" section (supported by the cancellations statement within the same paragraph), I took this to mean that this suggestion applied only to the Specialty Restaurants.

Ok... following this logic.. I would naturally ask what the dress code for the dining room would be.. So, I look at this statement: "Bare feet and swim wear are not permitted in the Dining Room or Windjammer Cafe at anytime". Nothing said about shorts.

Do you think I am reading too much into this?

BTW, here is the link to the compass I am reading.

http://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/independence_of_the_seas_-_8_night_/1?e=2025714/11674599

How strange. Because I DID see what Todd described on every Compass I looked at from 2015.

Interesting. I looked a little more, and did find one, an Allure Compass from Jan 2015, that was similar to what he described. It omitted "shorts" from the items prohibited in the MDR, but had another comment that "T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch." So, that left the implication, but not an express policy, that shorts were still not acceptable for dinner. But they were off the banned list, so perhaps a way of easing into lower standards.

The recent (2105) compasses I saw for three or four other ships still had shorts in the "not permitted" list. I was just scanning through some compasses on the RC blog site, and not keeping notes. I know one of the ships I looked at was Navigator from late Feb. Don't remember the others.