White Pass Railway

csaeroach

Has anyone done the White Pass Railway in Skayway.? We booked this one with Princess, and would love to hear from anyone who has previously done this on your thoughts and if you would recommend this excursion.

I'd hazard a guess that hundreds (if not thousands) of people have done this excursion.

We did it on our 2009 cruise(sorry, not Princess but HAL). We will most likely do it again.

It's Alaska's most successful cruise ship excursion, with about 400,000 people going on it ever year. I've been on it several times, and the longer the trip the better (you can go to the Summit, to Fraser or to Carcross).

We were hoping to be able to do the longer one but it is not running when we are there. Will start the following week. We are on the May 12th sailing.

We were on the Golden Princess in June and did the eight hour White Pass Railway excursion (booked through the cruise line). LOVED it! We took the bus up to the Yukon and the train back to Skagway. I can highly recommend. You will need your passport with you.

I'd hazard a guess that hundreds (if not thousands) of people have done this excursion.

I often smile to myself when someone asks, "Has anyone ever... ?" ;)

I've done the summit round trip back in 2001 with little kids.

I have also done the 7.5 hour Yukon trip (Caribou Crossing, not Bennett) with Chilkoot Charters and highly recommend them.

We have done it twice one thing I loved you used to be allowed (in 04 )to go outside between the trains to get the fresh air and spray from the waterfalls.Try it you will love it it is much better than being inside the rail car. The first time I did it was pouring rain and I got soaked the other people(and D.W.) on the car were looking at me like I was crazy but it was a great time , try it if they still let you.

Has anyone done the White Pass Railway in Skayway.? We booked this one with Princess, and would love to hear from anyone who has previously done this on your thoughts and if you would recommend this excursion.

I strongly recommend Chilkoot Tours. We've done them in the past and are doing another Princess Star cruise on 5/11/13. The first tour we booked was the Chilkoot tour of 7 1/2 hours.

We're also on the Legend British Isles tour with you. I read about the issue with the cabin and hope you're able to get it fixed.

I have done it and I loved it! It is the narrow gauge railroad and it is just a great trip. So much so that I am going back to Alaska for 5 day land tour and then 7 day cruise and I am taking my 6 year old grandson and we will be doing the White Pass Railroad again to the Yukon and back. He lovest Trains! <3

I certainly have done it. I have a history with Skagway and the WP&YR going back some 50 years so I always enjoy going to the Summit and back and then having time to walk around in Skagway. However, I now book it directly at the station once in Skagway and have had a chance to look at the weather. It is a spectacular ride but if the weather is poor I don't go.

I thought about booking the White pass railroad excursion.. But me and my DH both wanted something a little bit more active. We'll be on the ship watching the scenery go by, I don't want to be on a train also watching the scenery go by. Too much sitting and watching.

I certainly have done it. I have a history with Skagway and the WP&YR going back some 50 years so I always enjoy going to the Summit and back and then having time to walk around in Skagway. However, I now book it directly at the station once in Skagway and have had a chance to look at the weather. It is a spectacular ride but if the weather is poor I don't go.

This is exactly the answer to my above #8 I was looking for (I know all about booking wth the cruiseline vs privately and should have given more details).

For this particular excursion you can do this just as easily going directly to the station yourself ? If so what time do you suggest and the approx cost ? Will be there May 22, 7:00am-4:00pm.

You are not going to save very much by going to the station and booking directly what you save is taking an excursion when you can see anything. When we do it, if the weather is lousy we don't go. We look up into the pass and if it is not clear then we don't go. Check it out as you arrive in Skagway and if it is nice and clear then head for the station ASAP. Watch later in the morning for the afternoon would be my advice.

So if you take the shorter trip, do you get some time at the pass before boarding a return train or does the train you rode up on just turn around and head back down? I've got a little history with the Red Onion and am hoping to get back after 27 years!

Archived