How "safe" will we be?

Ukigirl

Going on a cruise with my 20 year old daughter, usually travel with my husband but not this time. We plan on taking a cab to the square for some shopping and lunch. I am a very careful person and of course, will be twice as cautious this time. I was telling my friend about our plans (she's been to Cozumel) and her comment was "be careful getting in that cab, you might be kidnapped" :o. For some stupid reason, that's stuck in my head now, I'm not paranoid and believe me, read enough on CC and have done my research. I'm not switching to an excursion but thinking good idea might be trying to share a cab?

Good grief, you can be kidnapped in the US. The cabs in Cozumel are tightly run right outside the terminal. It's perfectly safe there. You also can get off the ship and stay right at the port if cabs scare you or you can walk downtown. It's only about a mile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your replies and Flip Flop Lady, your response was the "slap in the face" I needed to make me realize how my question was kind of , sort of silly. Off to the square we will go!

Just stay in the tourist areas and you have nothing to be concerned about. Its just like at home - you wouldn't go to the bad areas of your ton, don't do it hen traveling.

Coz is sooooo safe. The island is pretty dependent on tourism money so they treat travelers well. I've been there several times and am more comfortable walking the streets of Coz at night than I am doing the same in my home town!

• 2 weeks later...

Taxis are available at the downtown pier and also the International pier. Rates are posted and there is a guard type person who asks where you are going and finds a taxi for you.

Drivers may not be talkative as they are most interested in getting you where you want to go and catch another fare.

I have been to Coz + 10 times over the years. Taxied to shopping, resorts, ruins, the other side of the island etc. and never had any concern about safety.

Like anywhere do not leave yourself open to risk. No flashy jewelry and be sure you bring your stuff with you when you exit the taxi.

Cozumel is pretty safe since there is only a ferry to get on or off the island and it's not cheap or a short ride. Also everybody on the island knows they have to keep the island safe or tourist stop coming. Taxi drivers are the eyes and ears for the police. The worst crime there is usually a pick pocket for tourist or a stolen tv for a resident that left their door unlocked. But don't let your guard down to much and believe you're perfectly safe as things happen. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been to Cozumel about 8 times.

Did excursions, and sometimes just wondered around through the downtown area by ourselves.

Never had a problem to say, some shop keepers would do anything to entice us into their shops, but never a problem.

Did the taxi scene a couple times and always verified the amount in US dollars before getting in.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my update, my daughter and I took cab downtown, $8 make sure you ask beforehand, spent a wonderful afternoon walking around. Of course the people kept calling us into their shops, most were so nice and polite, not pushy at all. We had fun bartering and got some good deals. We stopped for lunch at an outdoor restaurant, sorry don't remember the name, had really good tacos and margaritas. I mentioned to the waiter that it was Leanna's 21st birthday, he brought us shots of tequila on the house and the mariachi band and everyone sitting around us sang Happy Birthday. It was a very fun day, felt completely safe.