Water Shoes - Do I need to pack?

jessykaw

This is my first time cruising and I really do not want to purchase or pack anything I do not need. I have been to Cozumel once before and remember it being rocky, just like Key West. I am not sure if the beaches we will be visiting will require water shoes. Any help will be appreciated.

Our ports:

Cozumel-Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocum

Belize-No beach day (visiting a ruin)

Roatan-Little French Key

Cayman Island-Royal Palms Beach Club

The only time we've ever taken water shoes is when we climbed Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. Otherwise we've never seen the need. And the beaches we've been to in Cozumel have been sandy. Ditto Grand Cayman. But I guess its personal preference.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Most cruise ports that have water activities will have plenty of equipment rental opportunities (snorkels, breathing tubes, flippers, water shoes, masks, etc.) so there normally is no reason to use up packing space for such things.

I paid $9 for my water shoes a few cruises ago and they have been my best purchase! The place I use them the most? On the ship by the water slides. That deck gets EXTREMELY hot and I was very happy not to have to the dance/run across the deck at the exit of the slide like everyone else.

We have brought them on beach excursions in Cozumel but didn't need them in Honduras (my new favorite port) or Belize.

I have a beach bag and I always keep a pair of water shoes in them just in case there needed, weigh almost nothing and do not take up much room. I sometimes even use them in the pool if there is a game a pool volleyball going.

This is my first time cruising and I really do not want to purchase or pack anything I do not need. I have been to Cozumel once before and remember it being rocky, just like Key West. I am not sure if the beaches we will be visiting will require water shoes. Any help will be appreciated.

Our ports:

Cozumel-Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocum

Belize-No beach day (visiting a ruin)

Roatan-Little French Key

Cayman Island-Royal Palms Beach Club

Most cruise ports that have water activities will have plenty of equipment rental opportunities (snorkels, breathing tubes, flippers, water shoes, masks, etc.) so there normally is no reason to use up packing space for such things.

Some people are lucky enough to have feet with tough soles and can walk barefooted on broken glass without a problem. If you're not so lucky, and are concerned about protecting your feet, a good pair of water shoes can be a worthwhile investment. About three years ago, after putting up with cheap water shoes, like the kind you can get at Walmart for about $5.00, I decided it was time to buy something good for my feet. After looking at a variety of brands and types, I bought a pair of Columbia Rainmakers. Very worthwhile investment (for me).They look like regular tennis shoes. If you do a search on Google, you'll see what they look like. Host Walt mentioned renting water shoes. That may be okay for some, but I wouldn't want to rent water shoes any more than I would bowling shoes. Just my personal preference. Protecting your feet with proper foot gear while on vacation is just as important as protecting your body from sunburn by using sun block.

YMMV, but if you are one to like a little protection then water shoes IMHO are a good thing. On our recent two beach vacations we brought them all, I would always throw them into a bag and bring along, others didn't. There were times they were all envious of my protection :D

If all you plan to do is beach, then flip flops can suffice for space savings.

Ask yourself this - will I be comfortable in the water walking around when I can't see what my feet might be touching on the bottom? If you won't be happy with that, bring water shoes.

I'm not apologizing for this. I had many events in my childhood when my feet were cut or hurt because I couldn't see through the water to where I was placing them down. Now, I cannot enjoy the water if I have to worry about my feet. Water shoes relieve my anxiety. I still love to swim and enjoy the water, but not if I have to worry about what happens if I put my feet down. With water shoes, I don't worry.

Honestly, I would bring the shoes. On one of our previous cruises we went to Princess' private island and I remember really enjoying being in the water but really wishing at the time that I had water shoes. I know that at any given time the beach that looks like it has nice soft sand on the beach where the chairs are, once you get in the water, it can have rocks and broken parts of coral reef that have washed ashore. It was not pleasant to walk and try to attempt to watch where I was stepping constantly.

Anytime I plan to go to a new beach, I take water shoes, just to be on the safe side. If I'm going back to a beach where I know the sand is powdery soft (Orient Beach, Megan's Bay, etc) I don't bother. You can find inexpensive water shoes that won't take up much room in your luggage. :cool: