Is it possible to go back to an inside?

bleehow

The past 2 cruises (conquest & magic) have been an inside. Bottom of the boat inside cabin. Yes we are those people that go the cheap way. We added it up before and ALL of our excursions were covered from the amount of the cheapest to a balcony. Well, we plan to go E Carribean and it looks like in the Keys & Nassau, we can just walk to see all the interesting things. This means, theoretically, we can get the balcony, probably a cove one, and still spend the same amount we usually do. I hear once one has had a balcony, one never goes back to an inside. I'm wondering if that is true? We have 5 pets we board, so this expense is the same if not more than the trip itself. I don't want to have an awful time on my next cruises since we "splurged" on this one. Also, has anyone figured out when the best prices are?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will definitely enjoy the balcony, but you can go back to an inside. My very first cruise was a balcony, but since then I've had numerous inside cabins and was still happy. As long as I am on the ship, I am happy.:D

I've gone from inside to balcony and back to inside. To me it doesn't matter. I just love being on the ship and am fine with pinching pennies... but my husband always insists on a balcony:rolleyes: the balcony is nice but I can take it or leave it:p

We went in the opposite direction. We started primarily with balconies on four different lines. They were nice but I found they had drawbacks. Possibility of smoking (no intent to start a discussion. If smoking is allowed on balconies, end of conversation). Often, they were not quiet retreats if everyone was out at the same time. Also, we got tired of banging balcony doors. Now we value ocean views and interiors. When we want to watch the ocean or shore, we just go out on deck. We always find it easy to get good spots away from the pool. The savings are usually considerable, as you have experienced. If I were on another Alaska inside passage, I'd consider a balcony for the incredible view. Otherwise I don't miss them at all.

Yes, you can. We have, even after experiencing suites on Princess and HAL. Though we usually book IS only on 3-4 day cruises. OV on longer ones.

It's a different type of cruise. We decided that we enjoy being out of our cabin, people watching. The few times we've had balconies, we rarely used them.

FWIW we enjoyed our HAL OV Alaska cruise better than our HAL Neptune Suite Alaska Cruise.

Last cruise was a mini Suite on Princess, next cruise is a 4K on the Miracle to HI.

Edited by SadieN

I am one who probably won't go back. My first cabin was inside, followed by 2 ocean views. Once we had that window--hard to go back to a dark cave. Then, we had our first balcony. Now, I am totally ruined. I LOVE sitting out on our balcony. AND, we've only had extended balconies. RUINED FOR LIFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also, has anyone figured out when the best prices are?

1st or 2nd week of December prices are great,as well as Sept and Oct,but that is prime hurricane season also. We always cruise the 1st week of Dec as our Christmas present to each other. And an upside is there are very few kids. We have a big family so it's nice to get away from all the caos just before Christmas. Always have had great weather too.

And we have stayed in all cabin types,and we love balconys and but we Love the LIDO deck and will book an inside on the Lido before we will book a balcony on a lower deck.

Edited by pambud96
misspelled

You will definitely enjoy the balcony, but you can go back to an inside. My very first cruise was a balcony, but since then I've had numerous inside cabins and was still happy. As long as I am on the ship, I am happy.:D

What pungo said!

We've never had an inside, as we LOVE our balconies...:D

I am a smoker, so that could contribute to this love affair.....lol

We do spend a decent amount of time on the balcony...I am an early riser, so I like to grab a coffee and watch the sun come up, we like to be out there coming into port, we like to be out there AFTER coming back from port, and we like to be out there at night, with a few cocktails. We also take "room breaks" during the day....We really just LOVE having a balcony.

To each their own.....

But if someone offered me a free cruise, that was an inside stateroom, I would NOT pass it up:D

I am one who probably won't go back. My first cabin was inside, followed by 2 ocean views. Once we had that window--hard to go back to a dark cave. Then, we had our first balcony. Now, I am totally ruined. I LOVE sitting out on our balcony. AND, we've only had extended balconies. RUINED FOR LIFE.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Extended balconies are great, but the regular CCL balconies are rather small. I'd just as soon have an OV. We have done a number of inside cabins to include 48 days on the Splendor around South America. We keep the TV on the fore cam with the sound muted. When the screen lightens up, then we know it is morning. John

Thanks everyone for all the input. I guess we will be cruising on our 1st balcony (still haven't convinced my husband of that). Has anybody booked a cove balcony? I'm thinking I would love being that close to the water & I like being at the bottom & closer to getting out on port days. However, I've noticed that one can't sit & look out at the ocean. Due to the metal, it's necessary to stand to look out. Guess that'll burn more calories though. Lol

no one said you had to go right to a balcony.. just an outside w. a window is a HUGE difference and improvement...

just think of each day at home you wake up w the sun and able to see outside.. how enjoyable it will be to wake up in the middle of the ocean ( on sea days ) and along side a gorgeous island ( on port days ) the sun makes a huuuge difference.. i have never had a balcony.. but will never go back to an inside after having a window.. the minimun extra $$ addes volumes to the cruise experience..

The past 2 cruises (conquest & magic) have been an inside. Bottom of the boat inside cabin. Yes we are those people that go the cheap way. We added it up before and ALL of our excursions were covered from the amount of the cheapest to a balcony. Well, we plan to go E Carribean and it looks like in the Keys & Nassau, we can just walk to see all the interesting things. This means, theoretically, we can get the balcony, probably a cove one, and still spend the same amount we usually do. I hear once one has had a balcony, one never goes back to an inside. I'm wondering if that is true? We have 5 pets we board, so this expense is the same if not more than the trip itself. I don't want to have an awful time on my next cruises since we "splurged" on this one. Also, has anyone figured out when the best prices are?

Not true we have done it several times and we rather cruise more often than go on a balcony that in truth we dont use much because we are always out and about.

I book inside every time i am on a fantasy class balcony on others. So you can go back

We've had balconies, insides, and an ocean view. While having a balcony is very nice.....it's also nice to be able to spend the extra money in other ways.

On our most recent cruise on the Sunshine in December we had a balcony and my dad used the balcony a lot. On our next cruise (next weekend on the Dream) we are back in an inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We started in insides on our first 2 then the next 3 were balconies. Our last one on NCL I was able to upgrade to a suite for no extra money- no balcony but the entire wall was floor to ceiling windows and all the suite perks. It was cold outside in the Baltics so that was great. I couldn't go back to an inside. We spend a lot of time on the balcony - a great way to get away from the crowds. My cruise in May is a Spa Balcony.

Hmmmm. Never considered the OV much, probably because I read (before we cruised) that some people booked OV & it turned out to be an awful view that was overlooked. Kinda stuck in my mind that there was so much work to making sure it was a "good" cabin. Save for the last couple of years, I've worked at night do we don't mind the dark hole. Probably bc I'm part vampire. We were surprised that the ship shut down about 2-3 am. I guess at that time we didn't want to go back to the "hole". I'm thinking we will balcony this trip & maybe OV next. Any input on OV that aren't worth it?

Never had an inside room, don't know if I could ever do that except for maybe a short 3-4 day for a quick getaway. My first was on OV and from then on it was balconies - at first because I used to be a smoker, but once we had a balcony I realized how much I liked it, and spent more time in my room.

If you're a "let's go where the action is" kind of cruiser, I can see how having a balcony might be a waste of money since you're never in your room.

I can only take so much 'action' after a while... I'm a 'cruise to relax' kind of cruiser, so I really like being able to have my own private, quiet (usually) view of the water. It's like a sanctuary away from all the 'FUN'. (Man that makes me seem like a buzz kill. :) ) And nothing beats having morning coffee out on the balcony.

I think I'm the exception. I've always had my own room and cruise solo most of the time. I've always had an interior cabin and love them! I'm never in my cabin other than to sleep and shower and love the darkness. I did my first balcony a few weeks ago and it was an aft wrap. I probably spent 2 hours on it the entire week. I'm back to my interior room in June and wouldn't even take a balcony if it were the same price as an interior.

I'm sure I'd change my mind if I had a gf. ;)

Of course it's "possible" to go back to insides! :p

I've had two balcony cabins, one an aft. Yeah, they were nice.

Personally, I'd rather sail 2-3 times a year in an inside than once with a balcony.

I really like those nice, dark cabins when I'm sleeping.

I'm even mildly claustrophic but the inside cabin doesn't bother me in the least (and I've shared them with 2 other females a couple of times).

I just have other things to do with my money than spend it on a balcony cabin. Would I like to? Yeah, I guess. But I spent too many years of my life being poor that even if I thought booking a balcony cabin wouldn't be so extravagant, I just doubt I'd do it. I don't spend money just because I have it to spend. There's plenty of "free" deck space on a ship, especially those with a Serenity Deck.