Security on Celebrity

mamamzee

With all the terrorist incidents around the world, I can't help but think of

"what if?" on a cruise.

What security measures are in place? I know they look at luggage, etc. But, what about after port stops?

I'm not going to stop going, I am just interested.

Cruise lines will, understandably, be very closed mouthed about security issues.

We dinned with the Captain of the Mercury, not long after the Seaborne incident with Somalian pirates. The Seaborne ship used ultrasonic defense weapons to drive them off. One of the guests asked the Captain if we had such capabilities, politely declined to answer, but had a confident smile on his face.

Edited by CRUZBUDS

Passengers go through metal detectors and all bags are scanned at every port, every time you enter the ship. Plus they confirm your photo matches the one at check in to ensure the right person is getting on board. Very similar to airport security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"what if?" on a cruise.

What security measures are in place? I know they look at luggage, etc. But, what about after port stops?

Legitimate question. If I were to travel to or near the continent of Africa I MAY be concerned but not concerned at all in or around North America or South America. :)

I feel confident they have very good precautions to prevent on board incidents, and perhaps to fend off approaching boats. Technology to deflect an attack from a missile or something similar is extremely expensive so there is likely no defense for that. The ship is also vulnerable to any group of terrorists who might storm a ship in port, or fire from near shore. Any large gatherings of people in one spot creates vulnerabilities and becomes a magnet for those willing to die for a cause by taking out as many people at once as possible. So I guess the only answer is any reasonable precaution that could be taken will be taken.

I feel confident they have very good precautions to prevent on board incidents, and perhaps to fend off approaching boats. Technology to deflect an attack from a missile or something similar is extremely expensive so there is likely no defense for that. The ship is also vulnerable to any group of terrorists who might storm a ship in port, or fire from near shore. Any large gatherings of people in one spot creates vulnerabilities and becomes a magnet for those willing to die for a cause by taking out as many people at once as possible. So I guess the only answer is any reasonable precaution that could be taken will be taken.

I am not making light of a very serious subject, but I can't help but think that my children would be very correct in saying "she died doing what she loved!"

We cruised with a couple that were on a Celebrity ship that went through the Suez canal, Red Sea and Horn of Africa in its way to Dubai and then eventually Singapore and Australia.

They said when passing through the Horn of Africa, that the ship had Navy Seals onboard. I suspect if that was true, that they were former Seals hired for security.

I had friends on an Azamara cruise thru the waters the Somali pirates are known for last year. I think it was around halloween time If I remember the correct cruise.

They said at night the ship sailed with all lights off, exterior, marking lights all visible lights were turned off.

Passengers had to keep all blinds and curtains drawn and not use the verandas or go outside or pass thru any exterior doors, so as not to let the interior light illuminate the deck.

They said that military police boarded at a port prior to getting in these areas and accompanied the ship thru the area.

Upon boarding the ship- your large bags have already been taken for screening and will appear at you cabin several hours after you board. You should look at the prohibited items list on the Celebrity website. Irons and coffee makers are two of the items that will be confiscated. 2 bottle of wine per person are allowed on embarkation day but NO hard alcohol is permitted on embarkation day. It will be confiscated and NOT returned. Things like extension cords, knives and scissors longer than 4 inches are prohibited.

If you have a curling iron or any metal objects in the large suitcases- this sometimes slows down how quickly you will get your bags. Large bottles of water or mouthwash will often be opened to see if they contain alcohol- so carry these on too. These are put to the side for manual screenings. So anything suspicious looking should be in your carryon.

The carryons will be screened just like in the airport and you will go through a metal detector just like in the airport. You room card acts as your id getting on and off the ship and they will ask you to take off your hat and sunglasses if they can't tell it is you by the picture.

When ever you return to the ship- your bags are screened and you go through a metal detector just like at the airport.

Alcoholic beverages will be taken from you upon boarding the ship in ports and they will be returned to you at the end of the cruise. You can not consume them during the cruise.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We just took a cruise that went through the Red Sea & Suez Canal.

We received a letter that went over some of the security precautions, and we had a pirate drill one afternoon.

We had Israeli security forces on board for about a week. Parts of the outside deck were blocked off from passenger access so they could keep watch.

Very interesting experience, fortunately no alarms!

In the past, Celebrity always had Israeli security forces onboard ships - even sailing to the Caribbean and Bermuda. In public, you would see the Philippino security guards everywhere, but they were reinforced by Israeli forces (who, I was told by ship personnel, were former Israeli solders) who you never used to see out and about.

One time we were in the Hemisphere on the Century and a fight broke out on the dance floor. We were sitting at the bar and watched as a mob broke into fighting. The bartender called Security and the place was swarming with Philippino security personnel. However, on each side of the lounge an Israeli man (dressed in plain clothes) suddenly appeared and stood at the end of the bar watching the dance floor. As soon as things subdued these 2 gentlemen quietly disappeared.

So I think each cruise has much more security onboard that the average passenger is aware of.

I went to a briefing by a ship officer on our February Reflection cruise. Someone asked about pirates and he said they knew the areas around the globe where there was a legitimate threat and they were prepared for what could happen. He indicated at that time that cruises around Australia and Indonesia were specifically equipped.

"what if?" on a cruise.

Let me see if I got this right? You want people who might know the deepest secrets of Celebrity's security protocol to reveal them so that you might know what they are doing? If any of that was revealed here wouldn't it no longer be a secret. Since this is a public site that is readily available to anyone isn't it possible that someone who meant to do harm might read it? If is was the cases wouldn't Celebrity need to change to a new secret protocol? This could become a never ending pattern. Security measures are known to very, very few and they aren't talking to anyone, including me. Let me reveal one thing I've learned: In parts of the world the US Navy stands to deter people who mean to cause harm.