Booking After a Swingers Cruise?

Andy91

I also posted this on the Royal Caribbean Board. Interested in family responses. thx.

We are considering booking the February 1 2014, 5-night western Caribbean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. I have just learned that the preceding cruise is a 5-night charter for swingers. I know the cruise lines have to sanitize the vessels after each cruise and I am fully aware that every cruise cabin and hotel room I have ever stayed in has been lived in before and after by other people, with "lived in" defined as everything that everyone does during their normal daily lives (maybe on a vacation more than what is normal). Still, the web site of the company sponsoring the cruise mentions the nude pools, the improved "dungeon" (!), and the swinging lifestyle everyone will enjoy in the public areas and cabins while on board the ship... the ship that my family and I will be boarding an hour or so after the swingers have left... the cabin my family and I will be settling into an hour or so after the last possible swingers "event" has occurred.

Is it just me or is anyone else a little creeped out at the idea? Is it encumbent on Royal Caribbean to notify passengers of the ensuing cruises that the cruise before theirs involved something like this?

I know there are lifestyle cruises. We are also considering the February 2 Celebrity Silhouette western Caribbean and I think the cruise before it is a gay and lesbian charter. Maybe it's the January 26 cruise and the February 2 cruise is the charter. I forget. Either way, this doesn't bother me at all. Neither do spring break cruises or singles cruises and I don't have any objection to anyone expressing themselves in any way they want, including being a swinger. It's just something about swingers having by definition a concentrated focus on sexual activities and the thought that the cabin we would be booked in was used for groups engaged in these activities immediately before my wife and daughter's arrival that bothers me. Every surface, the couch, the bedding, the balcony chairs... blech! Should we bring a black light?!!!

I also posted this on the Royal Caribbean Board. Interested in family responses. thx.

We are considering booking the February 1 2014, 5-night western Caribbean cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. I have just learned that the preceding cruise is a 5-night charter for swingers. I know the cruise lines have to sanitize the vessels after each cruise and I am fully aware that every cruise cabin and hotel room I have ever stayed in has been lived in before and after by other people, with "lived in" defined as everything that everyone does during their normal daily lives (maybe on a vacation more than what is normal). Still, the web site of the company sponsoring the cruise mentions the nude pools, the improved "dungeon" (!), and the swinging lifestyle everyone will enjoy in the public areas and cabins while on board the ship... the ship that my family and I will be boarding an hour or so after the swingers have left... the cabin my family and I will be settling into an hour or so after the last possible swingers "event" has occurred.

Is it just me or is anyone else a little creeped out at the idea? Is it encumbent on Royal Caribbean to notify passengers of the ensuing cruises that the cruise before theirs involved something like this?

I know there are lifestyle cruises. We are also considering the February 2 Celebrity Silhouette western Caribbean and I think the cruise before it is a gay and lesbian charter. Maybe it's the January 26 cruise and the February 2 cruise is the charter. I forget. Either way, this doesn't bother me at all. Neither do spring break cruises or singles cruises and I don't have any objection to anyone expressing themselves in any way they want, including being a swinger. It's just something about swingers having by definition a concentrated focus on sexual activities and the thought that the cabin we would be booked in was used for groups engaged in these activities immediately before my wife and daughter's arrival that bothers me. Every surface, the couch, the bedding, the balcony chairs... blech! Should we bring a black light?!!!

Really, these activites? Would you be concern if this was a newly wed cruise engaging in the same kind of activities and maybe more so? The act 'activity' itself is natural, so why anything out of the norm in terms of cleaning. The judgement of it might be what be creating the real sticky situation (no pun intended). If you have been in most of these cabins they accommodate but so many people even piling on top of each other (pun intended). Worse case scenario they would be comin' and goin', which normal/regular couples do all the time.

So, no I am not creeped out and wouldn't give it a thought. A drunk could have vomited in your cabin before you gtt there (college spring break) or a child peed on the floor. Would a cruise catering to ladies PMS be better, messy but a 'blue light' would help? Ok, no guy in his right mind would dear hang around!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

So what, some people have sex in their cabin before you.. maybe as a 4 some instead of a two some.. Do you really think they have sex any different from most people? Do you really think that no one has ever had sex in that cabin before? It's not like there will be anymore sex on a swinger's cruise than on let's say a spring break cruise. They aren't going to be doing it in the pool.. and who care about if they are nude in the hot tub.. do you think that a bathing suit really somehow keeps the water cleaner? It's a tiny piece of thin material.. not a bio hazard suit. These cruises do not allow sex in public, only in designated areas.. otherwise the crew would have to agree to being subjected to things that might be against their belief system. I have friends who have gone on a lifestyle cruise.. they are both doctors, married 15 years, have kids, a nice house, etc. Just normal people out looking to let loose a little. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. The cleaning crew is there cleaning every day. And you probably would find a lot less icky stuff with people who are committed to safe sex than those who are on spring break, drunk and hopping into bed on a whim.

I fail to see the problem.

Your going on a cruise after a group which happens to have a lifestyle that involves sex.

Isn't that what you did in order to conceive your child? ;)

People have sex.

I see no issue here.

I'd be much more concerned about going on a cruise after a group that promoted smoking.

It doesn't take much to gross yourself out if you really think about ANY hotel room or cruise ship cabin.

Regardless of what people are intending, we are all capable of messy bodily functions. We are all capable of going out into the heat, sweating up a storm, and crashing on the bed... letting the sheets soak up our funky smells and sweat.

Our feet that had been stewing in our shoes all day, maybe smelling of parmesan cheese, you peel off your socks, dropping lint and whatever stuff comes out of your socks after a long day... and rub those toes against the beautifully carpeted floor of the room.

Even if it weren't a swinger-themed cruise:

How do you know the previous passengers weren't on their honeymoon?

Or quarantined to the room because of an explosive norovirus infection?

How do you know someone didn't bring bed bugs with them to share with the next occupants of the room?

If you think about it too much, you'll never want to go on vacation (or use any swimming pool... EVER)

You trust that the cabin stewards replace all the sheets, wash down the bathrooms, vacuum the floors, maybe if you're lucky, they shampooed the carpet in the room that week! What more can you ask for?

You're on vacation. Don't obsess over it. Relax and enjoy the fact that you're not at work and you don't have to cook your own meals for the duration of the trip!

Andy91, I would not be concerned about the cruise before your cruise.

My honest opinion is that I would be more concerned about the cruise you are booking.

In general, most five day and less cruises tend to be party cruises with a lot of drinking and the like.

For families if you can get the time off and it fits your budget I would go with a seven day cruise.

Just my opinion and something that I would be much more convened about rather than the cruise which you will be not on and comes before the one you are considering.

Keith

I'd worry a whole lot more about people who insist on taking their non-potty trained kids into the pools and hot tubs myself.

Young kids period, as if they are going to get out to pee, blow their nose, or spit! What about the buffet where people touch the utensils without washing their hands, then you go in a pick it up after washing yours. I am on the verge of not ever leaving my house:eek:

I am the one who posted the original question. I realize I should have given more thought to my concerns before writing that post, not because of the replies but because I should have spent more time thinking. Really, as one of the replies on the Royal Caribbean board stated, "Grow Up!".

I've since posted this same basic statement on the Royal Caribbean board: what goes on in cabins during a swingers cruise is no different than what goes on anywhere on Earth all the time, maybe more of it but more power to them. Birds, bees, flowers and trees, people. It's all good. More of that and less of other things and the World would be a better place. Further, what consenting adults do is their own business, whatever that is, and who I am to judge. Finally, if their had ever been a health issue of ANY sort after a swingers cruise, or a gay and lesbian cruise, you can bet it would have been front page news of the most lurid sort.

So, statement and concerns retracted. I hope whoever is on that cruise has the best time ever and in some ways wish I could join them!

• 2 months later...
Hi Andy,

I appreciate the retraction.

I will be on that cruise.....

You should try it sometime, it isn't what You think it is....it's better !

Sabrina

Lead people not into temptation, they can get there by themselves :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

As an example we sailed on Allure the week after the 'Atlantis Cruise' (google it!) and it was great! The staff all had awesome fun stories, the kids club people all had the week off, so they were fresh and excited to have kids back.

Like others have said, there are many worse things that can and HAVE happened in your cabin and random areas of the ship, I wouldn't think twice about it.

• 3 months later...
As an example we sailed on Allure the week after the 'Atlantis Cruise' (google it!) and it was great! The staff all had awesome fun stories, the kids club people all had the week off, so they were fresh and excited to have kids back.

We were on the cruise after them on Silhouette this year. We had lunch at Bistro on 5 after boarding and the waitress said "ladies first" when taking our order, and when I mentioned that I guess she hadn't said that much the week before, she laughed and said that I was right! On the other hand, I heard that they brought their own entertainment on board and it was great.

Edited by MisterBill99

I'm going to chime in that I agree with the OP. Royal Caribbean caters to families and "Swinging" is definitely not mainstream behavior. I guess I'm just not as sophisticated as the other posters.

Having said that- they keep ships really spotless and I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect.

I'm going to chime in that I agree with the OP. Royal Caribbean caters to families and "Swinging" is definitely not mainstream behavior. I guess I'm just not as sophisticated as the other posters.

Having said that- they keep ships really spotless and I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect.

I don't know that I connect swingers with sophistication... LOL !!! I agree with the OP too. If it creeps you out .... pick another date or ship. Move on.

Hmmm... with our young kids, I may have to start paying more attention to when these "Atlantis" and similar charters are taking place, for just this reason. :)

I agree with OP. I think this section is for family cruising and all others should stay on their forum. The replies show the unfortunate mind set of too many. Then we ask why society is deteriorating.

To the Op and any others concern, bring your lysol and prayers.

• 10 months later...

There are thousands of highly successful and sophisticated people in the Lifestyle. It would behoove folks to engage in some research before spouting such incredible generalizations and phobias. Many a doctor, attorney and C-Level executive entertains within this interest group...obviously the poster hasn't made the elite invite list;)

Hmmm... with our young kids, I may have to start paying more attention to when these "Atlantis" and similar charters are taking place, for just this reason. :)

You will never be allowed to book a cruise when a "group like this" has the ship chartered It's not like most groups, where they share the ship. On "charters", they TAKE OVER the ship, so that no ones sensibilities are offended!!!

You will never be allowed to book a cruise when a "group like this" has the ship chartered It's not like most groups, where they share the ship. On "charters", they TAKE OVER the ship, so that no ones sensibilities are offended!!!

Apparently you didn't catch the portion of sharktums post that I quoted and bolded in my post. I have included it here again. Key words: "the week after".

Also, I know what a charter is.

Still, the web site of the company sponsoring the cruise mentions the nude pools, the improved "dungeon" (!), and the swinging lifestyle everyone will enjoy in the public areas and cabins while on board the ship...

Not sure why a post from almost a year ago was resurrected? :confused:

The only thing strikes me as odd is the bold part. Now, I understand what a charter is, and that this would not happen on any ordinary sailing. But I'm curious about the staff and weather they have any choice in working that sailing? Would a young woman working the guest services desk, by forced to stand there while swingers were enjoying the public areas?