Going through customs

apple_daisy09

I'm going on my first cruise and am curious about how customs works once you are done the cruise (cruise starts and end in Fort Lauderdale, FL). I am not from the U.S so I'm curious about if I need to clear customs twice, once in the US port when we arrive back and again to cross borders into Canada. I'm more specifically wondering about bringing alcohol back from the Caribbean, will there be any issues and do I have to meet both US custom limits for duty free and Canadas limits? Any tips or help as to where to find this information would be great!

I'm going on my first cruise and am curious about how customs works once you are done the cruise (cruise starts and end in Fort Lauderdale, FL). I am not from the U.S so I'm curious about if I need to clear customs twice, once in the US port when we arrive back and again to cross borders into Canada. I'm more specifically wondering about bringing alcohol back from the Caribbean, will there be any issues and do I have to meet both US custom limits for duty free and Canadas limits? Any tips or help as to where to find this information would be great!

Hi there

Very often you can find good deals on the ships as well as the ports. The main thing you have to consider is that if you are flying from the States, you will have to pack the alcohol in your checked baggage. Your other option is to purchase at the airport.

hope this helps

You'll fill out a short but very official form -1 per family group sharing a last name. Mainly, they want to know about what you spent and if there is the possibility of your bringing contaminants back to your country. It asks if you touched animals or livestock, if you are transporting plant products or animals. I just keep a little list of what I spent off the ship. You have up to many thousands of dollars before it's an issue, so my $20 Caribbean skirt and $10 earrings and even the $100 painting won't come close. You start by picking up your luggage from the giant room (with a porter, as you need). As you pass through customs, they look at your passport/ID and you and your form. If you are wearing the new jewelry they might ask if it's new. Then they hand you back your ID and you are on your way. It takes a minute once you make it through the long line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You'll fill out a short but very official form -1 per family group sharing a last name. Mainly, they want to know about what you spent and if there is the possibility of your bringing contaminants back to your country. It asks if you touched animals or livestock, if you are transporting plant products or animals. I just keep a little list of what I spent off the ship. You have up to many thousands of dollars before it's an issue, so my $20 Caribbean skirt and $10 earrings and even the $100 painting won't come close. You start by picking up your luggage from the giant room (with a porter, as you need). As you pass through customs, they look at your passport/ID and you and your form. If you are wearing the new jewelry they might ask if it's new. Then they hand you back your ID and you are on your way. It takes a minute once you make it through the long line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You no longer fill out the form unless you exceed your allowances.

Assuming the OP to be a Canadian citizen and resident of Canada, the duty-free advice so far is wrong. For US visitors, the US form has "goods to remain in the US", which will normally be zero (if I recall correctly, the limit is $100 US). The other questions are similar for both US and Canada.

The Canadian form you fill out if you're flying will list the Canadian personal exemptions, including the limit for alcohol (I don't remember that one); If you're driving, it's a verbal declaration at the border.

Remember fluids must be in checked baggage if flying.

Not necessarily true: The CBP questions always need to be answered and the paper version is still required when there are no kiosks, mobile passport app, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mobile app is not a choice for those of us who don't bother with smart phones. The paper custom forms work fine for me. ;)

The process is probably similar to when we fly from Montreal to Germany and back. We clear Canadian Customs at the airport, declaring that we are in transit to the US and will be leaving nothing in Canada. Then we clear US Customs at the land border, saying that we are returning from the airport and our flight from Germany. I don't recall filling out a form at the land border, it's all done via oral declaration.

There are a few differrent issue at play. When you return to the USA and enter at a cruise ship port, there are no provisions for "being in transit." You essentially enter the USA as if you were going to stay here...because our immigration/customs folks cannot know that you are truly in transit. So, when you bring booze back you must meet the US requirements. Customer at Port Everglades are not real strict on booze, but you do need to be honest and declare everything on your declaration. If you have stopped at St Thomas, USVI, there is a very generous booze allowance of up to 5 liters per person. Otherwise the Duty Free limit is 1 liter per person...although customs will often let folks bring in more...because the Duty on the overage is pretty small and they often view it as not being worth the hassle to do the paperwork and collect a few dollars in Duty. Keep in mind that this is actually no limit...but simply a limit before you would have to pay a small duty.

Of course the big problem is at the airport. You cannot carry any booze through the TSA Security check point at US airports. You must pack all that booze in your checked luggage...which creates other problems such as the weight of your luggage..and the risk of something breaking inside the bag :(. And finally you have to deal with the customs in your home country.

Hank

There are a few differrent issue at play. When you return to the USA and enter at a cruise ship port, there are no provisions for "being in transit." You essentially enter the USA as if you were going to stay here...because our immigration/customs folks cannot know that you are truly in transit. So, when you bring booze back you must meet the US requirements. Customer at Port Everglades are not real strict on booze, but you do need to be honest and declare everything on your declaration. If you have stopped at St Thomas, USVI, there is a very generous booze allowance of up to 5 liters per person. Otherwise the Duty Free limit is 1 liter per person...although customs will often let folks bring in more...because the Duty on the overage is pretty small and they often view it as not being worth the hassle to do the paperwork and collect a few dollars in Duty. Keep in mind that this is actually no limit...but simply a limit before you would have to pay a small duty.

Of course the big problem is at the airport. You cannot carry any booze through the TSA Security check point at US airports. You must pack all that booze in your checked luggage...which creates other problems such as the weight of your luggage..and the risk of something breaking inside the bag :(. And finally you have to deal with the customs in your home country.

Hank

Here's what the instructions for the declaration form as it pertains to non-US residents:

"If you are a visitor (non-U.S. Resident), print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you are bringing into the United States and will remain in the United States.

Note: Visitors (non-U.S. Residents) are normally entitled to an exemption of $100."

(Italics mine). So if a non-US Resident has purchased something abroad and they are taking it with them when they leave the US they don't have to put it on the form (at least as I read it).