Delta Flight Operated by Alitalia Check-in Question

helen haywood

I am booked on a Delta flight MIA to FCO. It is operated by Alitalia. I know that I go to the Alitalia counter at MIA to check-in on the day of the flight, but what do I do about on-line check-in the day before? Do I do it via Delta's website?

If it's a code-share flight and you have a Delta flight number, you can probably use Delta´s website.

We once had a British Airlines flight number but the flight was operated by American Airlines and we checked in via British Airways.

So my Delta ticket # is going to work on the Alitalia site for on-line check-in?

Delta ticket number might work, but as was stated, the Alitalia confirmation number will probably be best.

Yes, you might be able to start on delta.com to check in, but they will redirect you to Alitalia's site anyway. So it will be easier to just start on Alitalia's site.

You always check in with the operating carrier, whether it is online or in person.

True in most cases, but always double check. Because if you're flying KLM from JFK for example, you check-in at the DL desk. There's other airlines doing this as well.

If you look at the screens in the departure area, the check-in row is always displayed.

Well, for anyone else doing this....I appreciate all the help...but none of it was correct. I booked with Choice Air on a Delta flight. There is nothing in any of the confirmations from Delta or Choice Air that reference Alitalia AT ALL. I finally just called Alitalia and got a reference number from them to use on their website to do my on-line check-in.

I'm sure there are other people who are unaware that there is NOTHING in Delta's emails to you that give you ANY kind of code to use with the Alitalia site. There is also nothing that gives a novice a heads up that you need to check in at the Alitalia counter. I know your Delta ticket says it is operated by Alitalia....but in every email from Delta they reference THEIR flight number and never say you actually need to look up on your own for what the Alitalia flight number is.

Well, for anyone else doing this....I appreciate all the help...but none of it was correct...I finally just called Alitalia and got a reference number from them to use on their website to do my on-line check-in.

Really? More than one of us told you to get the Alitalia booking/reference number and to check in on their website, so I wonder why you think none of our help was correct :confused::confused:

Well, for anyone else doing this....I appreciate all the help...but none of it was correct. I booked with Choice Air on a Delta flight. There is nothing in any of the confirmations from Delta or Choice Air that reference Alitalia AT ALL. I finally just called Alitalia and got a reference number from them to use on their website to do my on-line check-in.

I'm sure there are other people who are unaware that there is NOTHING in Delta's emails to you that give you ANY kind of code to use with the Alitalia site. There is also nothing that gives a novice a heads up that you need to check in at the Alitalia counter. I know your Delta ticket says it is operated by Alitalia....but in every email from Delta they reference THEIR flight number and never say you actually need to look up on your own for what the Alitalia flight number is.

You called Alitalia and they told you that you should use their website. Maybe they just want you to use their site instead of Deltas?

If your confirmations don't mention Alitalia at all, you can defenitely check-in on Deltas website.

There is nothing in any of the confirmations from Delta or Choice Air that reference Alitalia AT ALL.

I know your Delta ticket says it is operated by Alitalia....

Actually it is a federal law that the confirmation must say it is operated by Alitalia and you said it yourself in your first post. So if nothing told you the Delta flight was operated by Alitalia, how did you find out? Just guessed?

If truly nothing you received mentioned operated by Alitalia, I strongly suggest you forward all your correspondence to the DOT and file a complaint. Delta or the Choice Air agency can be heavily fined by not disclosing this information.

What I meant by "there is nothing that references Alitalia at all" was there was no mention of any code number for the Alitalia flight or even the Alitalia flight number. There was nothing on Delta's website or in the Choice Air confirmation that gave you a code for the flight. Yes, it was easy enough to call Alitalia. My point is that you were not given the information from Delta or Choice Air and you could not get the code on either Delta's or Alitalia's websites. I had to call Alitalia.

I only mentioned this as someone less familiar with such a booking might assume they could check-in on Delta's website. In fact, Delta sent me an email previously telling me I could now go on-line for check-in....once connected to their site you were then redirected to Alitalia which needed a code I didn't have.

>>> I had to call Alitalia.

I only mentioned this as someone less familiar with such a booking might assume they could check-in on Delta's website. In fact, Delta sent me an email previously telling me I could now go on-line for check-in....once connected to their site you were then redirected to Alitalia which needed a code I didn't have<<<<

Thank you. I also have a Delta/Alitalia flight to FCO.

You seem to have answered your own question.

I'm not sure this is still correct. If your flight is book on a Delta "ticket", but using Alitalia metal, you should be able to online checkin on Delta's site. I haven't done Alitalia, but I've done AF flights booked as Delta flights. I check in on Delta's site, didn't need to use the AF site. Then, I did go to the AF terminal for the flights. On your reservation, does it say "Delta 6597 (operated by Alitalia)" or "Alitalia 631"?

BUT, I did get my seats via the AF site, because seats tend to "disappear" if you've been given the seats by Delta;)

I'm hoping FlyerTalker will chime in here - I'd use him as the authoritative voice on this!!!

And I had a yet another experience on a FinnAir ticket for an AA flight. I called AA a few weeks in advance to obtain their record locator. When the time came for online check-in 24 hours in advance and using the FinnAir record locator, I was unable to check in for the flight on FinnAir, who re-directed me to AA. When I inserted the AA record locator, the AA website was unable to find the reservation at all! Because I worried that my ticket might have somehow been canceled, I called AA (from Barcelona), who informed me that I would not be able to check in online using a FinnAir ticket on their website but would have to do it at the airport, even though I had an AA record locator. Fortunately, the check-in at the aiport was not a problem.

On your reservation, does it say "Delta 6597 (operated by Alitalia)" or "Alitalia 631"?

She already answered that :D:

What I meant by "there is nothing that references Alitalia at all" was there was no mention of any code number for the Alitalia flight or even the Alitalia flight number.

I was able to chose my seats when I made the booking with Choice Air...after I did that I logged into the Delta site and picked the seats. Delta will send you emails about your flight...it is just always referred to as Delta flight #6597. I had to go to Kayak to find the Alitalia flight # to give it to our pick-up driver in Rome.

Thanks for everyone's help.

DL puts in the "operated by" info, but not the locator. Things are different between DL/AF/KL due to their joint venture across the Atlantic.

For example, AS flights have a separate locator. Also, if your first flight is on AS, you need to check in through their app/website, which works about 50% of the time.

And it's not all doom and gloom. You could always just -- gasp -- go to the airport and checkin in person. Had to do that recently when DL rerouted me onto UA. Last time I checked, the sky was still in the same place, not around my feet.

I haven't done Alitalia, but I've done AF flights booked as Delta flights. I check in on Delta's site, didn't need to use the AF site.

I booked a Delta ticket a year or two ago, CHS-ATL and ATL-FCO on Delta metal, and then FCO to NAP on Alitalia. Best I recall, I checked in online with Delta for all segments, including the one on Alitalia.

Delta ticket number might work, but as was stated, the Alitalia confirmation number will probably be best.

To further clarify for the OP, you will actually have three different numbers attached to your reservation:

1) a ticket number

2) a Delta confirmation number/record locator number

3) an Alitalia confirmation number/record locator number

The ticket number is usually a long one, 10-12 or more digits, although I forget the exact number/range. There will be just one ticket number, but separate confirmation numbers for each individual airline, and these are usually 5 or 6 digits, and the ones you usually use to log on and check in, select seats or whatever. Generally speaking, you need the ticket number (not the Delta confirmation number) when you call the other airline (in this case Alitalia) to ask for THEIR confirmation number.

Archived