Extra Points

I would volunteer for the job without batting an eye!

I got the Royal Insider email yesterday. In it there is a section on Loyalty Ambassadors and they list 22 of them. They have some on 2 ships, which could be a possibility if they cover for each other. But this is the best of the best in the way of an RCI faux pax

Maria Liamshyna

Loyalty Ambassador

Make sure you notice what ship she is on!!:eek:

Wow. Maria was on Jewel last month. Now she has her own ship! I keep retyping this reply because everything I write sounds like an innuendo after that typo.

In all seriousness, she was a really good LA and deserves better than that. We loved hearing her Ukrainian accent.

I would volunteer for the job without batting an eye!

I got the Royal Insider email yesterday. In it there is a section on Loyalty Ambassadors and they list 22 of them. They have some on 2 ships, which could be a possibility if they cover for each other. But this is the best of the best in the way of an RCI faux pax

Maria Liamshyna

Loyalty Ambassador

Make sure you notice what ship she is on!!:eek:

That Made Me Laugh

First trial steps to revamping the points system from nights to dollars spent, I think.

I think it's a trial baloon for a system borrowed from Holland which I think has this kind of buying points system in place.

I think RCI will have the interim step which Celebrity currently has (points based on category) before jumping over to a dollars spent based system.

Biker, who has a feeling RCI will have very few takers at $150/point.

Edited by Biker19

Do you think the drink package counts as a purchase? That would make it easier to hit the number for sure...

I also wonder how full these ships are sailing during 'hurricane season'...maybe they are doing this instead of really low fares.

From what I've read, it appears that the drink package would count.

This sounds as though RCI is floating a trial balloon, as a preview of what possible future changes are coming to the C&A program. Based on results, it would then roll out to other ships. Perhaps these specific sailings were chosen because of traditionally low onboard spending, and they want to see if spending for C&A points changes their bottom line.

I'm reading it as both husband and wife must spend a minimum of $450 each to earn 3 points. Nothing like buying your way up the C&A Ladder!:rolleyes:

I agree with you, Patti, emoticon included. (That is what RCI is promoting, and if there were other emoticons available on CC, I would use them, as an expression of my opinion.)

This part isn't clear; how do you make purchases using your sea pass card "pre-cruise"?

Another fine example of poor proofreading. You can purchase Shore Excursions, Specialty Dining, Spa Appointments, Beverage Package using your booking number prior to boarding and I really think that is what was meant.

Edited by cruisenfever

This part isn't clear; how do you make purchases using your sea pass card "pre-cruise"?

As was mentioned earlier, the writer of the offer (and fine print) was not an English major. Obviously, pre-cruise purchases can't be made on a seapass card you don't yet have.

My husband and I are leaving next week to board the Freedom of the Seas. We received an email today from RC stating that we can enhance our upcoming cruise and reach the next Crown and Anchor[emoji768] Society tier even faster. Spend a minimum of $450 per person on pre-cruise and onboard purchases made using your Sea Pass card on your upcoming cruise, and earn THREE extra cruise points*. No registration necessary. Already booked your onboard experiences? You, too, will earn THREE extra points after spending $450 or more! From authentic shore excursions, to delicious dining, to soothing spa treatments, reaching your next loyalty tier has never been so rewarding. I wonder if the points are transferable? If they are, my husband can get an extra 6 points for our upcoming cruise. An even faster way to get to Pinnacle.

Has anyone else received this email? This is all new to me.

Glad you pointed that email out. I get so much email from Royal that sometimes I just delete it. I went back in my trash folder to find it[emoji3]. Not sure we will spend that much but we'll see what happens when we cruise with you on the 6th

I just got the same email yesterday. Basically 2 drink packaged put us at 400.00 each for the cruise that we had planned on spending anyway. We always do some specialty dining. So I'm not seeing that as being too hard to get the 3 extra points. However, it really isn't much benefit for me at this point so I'm not sure what their rhyme or reason is for sending it out. My partner didn't get the email and we are in the same cabin.

I agree with you, Patti, emoticon included. (That is what RCI is promoting, and if there were other emoticons available on CC, I would use them, as an expression of my opinion.)

Buying point and earning points are totally different. This program allows you to earn points. You earn points by receiving goods or services that have value on their own.

An example of buying points would be Delta that allows you to buy additional sky miles. All you get is miles, no goods or services at all.

I only see this deal is good for those that are trying to get a few more points to get to the next level. We are D+ and need hundreds of points to get to Pinnacle. WE drink for free in the CL and DL, no point in buying the drink package. We also get the buy one get one specialty coupon and two free pictures, etc. When we are on the Freedom next week., we have $325 OBC, prepaid gratutities, and a voucher for two at the Specialty Restaurant. What in the world could we purchase to get to $900 after we spend everything our TA has given us? There is no way we could ever spend that much. Even if we dined in the Specialty Restaurants every night. Usually we wind up cashing out on the last sea day and getting back $100-$200 that we couldn't spend.

This is a great deal for those that are below Diamond, don't use a TA and who buy the drink package. It's just not worth it for us to spend $900 for three stinking points. Now, if it were 6 points I may consider booking some excursions and going to the spa and biting the bullet. LOL!

Edited by Colorado Babe

Buying point and earning points are totally different. This program allows you to earn points. You earn points by receiving goods or services that have value on their own.

An example of buying points would be Delta that allows you to buy additional sky miles. All you get is miles, no goods or services at all.

You earn points on a cruise 1 point for each night and 1 point for being booked in a JS or above. It is your choice to set the amount of your cruise fare by the cabin you book. Shore Excursions, Drink Packages, Specialty Dining, Spa Appointments are items in addition to your cruisefare that you will have to spend an additional $450pp in order to earn 3 points. If you don't spend you don't get and to me that is buying points.

As far as air miles, when you purchase miles, these additional air miles can be used to purchase a ticket or upgrade to business/first class on an already booked flight so you are definitely getting more than just miles.

Edited by cruisenfever

You earn points on a cruise 1 point for each night and 1 point for being booked in a JS or above. It is your choice to set the amount of your cruise fare by the cabin you book. Shore Excursions, Drink Packages, Specialty Dining, Spa Appointments are items in addition to your cruisefare that you will have to spend an additional $450pp in order to earn 3 points. If you don't spend you don't get and to me that is buying points.

As far as air miles, when you purchase miles, these additional air miles can be used to purchase a ticket or upgrade to business/first class on an already booked flight so you are definitely getting more than just miles.

You forgot the bonus point for solo.

Laura has/will rack up just over 100 points for that little bonus.

BTW, why do you think this is a can of worms anyway:what:

You forgot the bonus point for solo.

Laura has/will rack up just over 100 points for that little bonus.

BTW, why do you think this is a can of worms anyway:what:

I didn't include solo cruisers because their T&Cs might be different.

It's going to be a bookkeeping nightmare to keep track of who spent what where and when. And, if they use IT to keep track of these additional points, well we all know how messed up that department is.:D

Agreed. :) A distinction -- buying air miles does not get you to elite status, as those miles are not counted. You have to earn those miles, "butt in seat" as they say, for elite status.

Well I did forget, my husband could buy me a piece of jewelry but what could he get with $450? And, what could I get him for $450? WE seem to spend a lot more in the ports when we go jewelry shopping. :):)

On some of the ships, and I believe Freedom is one of them, the C&A bling is now being sold in the shops again. :)

On some of the ships, and I believe Freedom is one of them, the C&A bling is now being sold in the shops again. :)

Those items were on Enchantment last week, but we didn't think they were as large and as nice as the ones at Imperial in St. Thomas.

I think it's a trial baloon for a system borrowed from Holland which I think has this kind of buying points system in place.

I agree. On HAL, you get an extra point for every $300 spent. You also get an extra point for every specialty restaurant booking. It's just an incentive to spend money on board. Someone else does it too....I think, MSC.

Oh--Hmmm, I will have to look. I wonder if they got that idea after reading the thread about it on here a few months back. :):)