Hurricane Erika in Dominica

seafun

Dominica got hit hard today. For those of us who have visited before, and who plan to visit again (early October for me), my heart goes out to the people affected.

If you have an upcoming visit or tour, there may be changes in store.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-erika-marching-1/52021729

Listening to the local newscasters mis-pronounce the name. Ugh.

National news got it right.

Doe mi neek' a, not Doe min' ica.

Irritated me ,too. It is one of my favorite ports. Hope all will recover quickly, they really need the money cruisers bring to the island.

We prefer to not fly to our cruises but we are flying to our next cruise in November. We booked this cruise specifically because we wanted to go back to Dominica again.

Prayers for the people of this beautiful island.

We prefer to not fly to our cruises but we are flying to our next cruise in November. We booked this cruise specifically because we wanted to go back to Dominica again. Prayers for the people of this beautiful island.

Agree on above and the other kind comments and wishes for the people of Dominica. As detailed on my live/blog below, earlier this year we enjoyed experiencing for the first time a nice range of Caribbean islands before and after our sailing up and down the Amazon River. One of top favorites?? It was Dominica!!

Sadly, this unique island has been in the news during the past few days. For all of the wrong reasons!! And, with no fault on their end. From the BBC this morning within the past couple of hours, they have this headline: "Tropical Storm Erika devastates the island of Dominica" with these summary highlights: "A tropical storm has devastated the Caribbean island of Dominica causing floods and mudslides. The damage caused by Tropical Storm Erika has set the country back 20 years, its prime minister said. According to officials, the storm has killed at least 20 people, with at least 31 people reported missing. Dominica's Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said in a televised address late on Friday that hundreds of homes, bridges and roads had been destroyed. About 80% of Dominica was without power and the water supply was cut off."

In the story, their leader noted: "The extent of the devastation is monumental. We have, in essence, to rebuild Dominica." In the US News story linked below, they noted that his storm "dumped some 15 inches (38 centimeters) of rain on the mountainous island" and "The island's airports remain closed, and authorities have not yet been able to reach some communities cut off by flooding and landslides."

While there in February, we noticed that aspects of this island were a little "third-worldish", but the people and its rainforest aspects of this area were so absolutely, totally wonderful. Amazing, in fact!! I will share some special visuals from Dominica. Such a wonderful and meaningful part of the world!! Not too commercial and/or over-developed as has happened in certain other places in the Caribbean.

Full BBC story at:

http://www.bc.co.uk/newsround/34095426

Added story at:

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/08/28/tropical-storm-erika-to-lose-steam-but-death-toll-rising

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 27,412 views for these postings.

For those who know Levi Baron ( Bumpiing Tours ), We have been in touch with him and he , his family and co-workers are all well and dealing with the unfortunate circumstances. It will take some time before Dominica recovers so support them however you can.

Did I hear correctly that their Prime Minister said that this storm has put them two decades behind where they were? Oh, I hope that is so wrong!

Perhaps this disaster will cause them to make some of their tourist attractions more user friendly. The steps leading to and from Trafalger Falls are not user friendly. A broken ankle is waiting to happen as far as I am concerned with those steps.

Edited by rkacruiser

Did I hear correctly that their Prime Minister said that this storm has put them two decades behind where they were? Oh, I hope that is so wrong!

Perhaps this disaster will cause them to make some of their tourist attractions more user friendly. The steps leading to and from Trafalger Falls are not user friendly. A broken ankle is waiting to happen as far as I am concerned with those steps.

I did this tour years ago..and stopped when it became too hard for me,others continued on... this was one of my very favorite tours... I only got to this island one time... but loved it.

As far as the stairs... it's an island baby... you are touring a natural location...:)

Regarding the first paragraph, Dominica was not exactly rolling in money to begin with.

Regarding the second paragraph, the necessity to repair basic things like roads and bridges will put tourist infrastructure even further on the back burner. Dominica is one of the most mountainous areas on earth due to being an active volcanic zone. Virtually every square foot of the island, including Trafalgar Falls, is a lot more up and down than sideways. Turning Dominica into Disneyland would be enormously expensive and probably futile, since the volcanos are still shaking and baking. The reality is that this is a very rugged area and likely to remain that way.

What if the cruise lines would continue to stop there and allow their guests (those willing) to volunteer with clean up and re-building? I am sure at least 20 % would and it would show love and compassion.

Now, how to I get the above idea to the cruise lines?

I first stopped there in May 2009 and toured with Levi. The roads were awful. But it was the best tour I'd ever done and I fell in love with the beauty of the island and it's wonderful people.

I specifically booked my November 2013 cruise because it was calling there (Carnival had pretty much dropped Dominica from their itineraries). I did the same tour with Levi and was so impressed with how much improved the roads were!

Went back last year (again, a 1-time sailing that I picked mostly to get to return) and toured with Levi and visited the Kalinago Village.

Yes, I have again booked another 1-way cruise for 11/28/15, again stopping in Dominica. I truly hope we still get to visit, even if they have to severely curtail the tours because of infrastructure damage.

These islands are so vulnerable and most are very dependent on tourist dollars that if the tourists stay away because of the damage, it's just a double-whammy to the economy.

Thanks for letting us know Levi's OK. I was going to email him but wasn't even sure he'd have email access yet.

So, only missionaries should want to help people? :confused: :(

I first stopped there in May 2009 and toured with Levi. The roads were awful. But it was the best tour I'd ever done and I fell in love with the beauty of the island and it's wonderful people.

I specifically booked my November 2013 cruise because it was calling there (Carnival had pretty much dropped Dominica from their itineraries). I did the same tour with Levi and was so impressed with how much improved the roads were!

Went back last year (again, a 1-time sailing that I picked mostly to get to return) and toured with Levi and visited the Kalinago Village.

Yes, I have again booked another 1-way cruise for 11/28/15, again stopping in Dominica. I truly hope we still get to visit, even if they have to severely curtail the tours because of infrastructure damage.

These islands are so vulnerable and most are very dependent on tourist dollars that if the tourists stay away because of the damage, it's just a double-whammy to the economy.

Thanks for letting us know Levi's OK. I was going to email him but wasn't even sure he'd have email access yet.

So, only missionaries should want to help people? :confused: :(

We are suppose to go in December and I would love to see the island and take a tour with Levi.

However, I would love to assist that country even more in any rebuilding effort....I do plan to contact someone in the Miami office for Celebrity to see if it goes any where.

However, I do understand and truly respect your position uglybutgoodbakery.

It is easier to donate one's time when they are retired. There are other reasons people enjoy giving of themselves more but this isn't the time or place to discuss a psychological and even spiritual concept.

That is why I said that possibly 20% of the guest would be delighted to go.

I have never been to Dominica and was looking forward to going. For me, the islands are about the people more than the sea and sun.

This will take them years to recover. I remember being in Grenada several years after they were hit by a major storm and still recovering. They were thankful to the USA for help and told us they had given more than their own country

We are suppose to go in December and I would love to see the island and take a tour with Levi.

However, I would love to assist that country even more in any rebuilding effort....I do plan to contact someone in the Miami office for Celebrity to see if it goes any where.

However, I do understand and truly respect your position uglybutgoodbakery.

It is easier to donate one's time when they are retired. There are other reasons people enjoy giving of themselves more but this isn't the time or place to discuss a psychological and even spiritual concept.

That is why I said that possibly 20% of the guest would be delighted to go.

I have never been to Dominica and was looking forward to going. For me, the islands are about the people more than the sea and sun.

We would gladly volunteer to help. There are other possible ways.

I recall when Haiti/Dominican Republic was hit Royal Caribbean set up (I think) some donations bins so the passengers visiting Labadee could leave school supplies for children.

I wonder if something like this can be set up for Dominica (not sure about details, just an idea).

For those who know Levi Baron ( Bumpiing Tours ), We have been in touch with him and he , his family and co-workers are all well and dealing with the unfortunate circumstances. It will take some time before Dominica recovers so support them however you can.

Thank you for the update on Levi and his co-workers. I've been thinking about them. :(

Listening to the local newscasters mis-pronounce the name. Ugh.

National news got it right.

Doe mi neek' a, not Doe min' ica.

I yelled at the TV when they mis-pronounced it as well . It's a sad situation . So glad I was able to visit this wondeful island a few years back . Praying for everyone there .