New Forum...

franski

Not sure that I like the fact that you must be registered and logged in to even *read* the posts here...

If we want to be inclusive - and welcoming - then this seems the wrong way to go about it. :(

JMHO here...

Fran

Not sure that I like the fact that you must be registered and logged in to even *read* the posts here...

If we want to be inclusive - and welcoming - then this seems the wrong way to go about it. :(

JMHO here...

Fran

Agreed!

Ok I have to agree with the others it is not working very well

Very confusing the way it is set up

Please do the Roll Calls for the river cruise & return this one back to the way it was

Lyn

Ok I have to agree with the others it is not working very well

Very confusing the way it is set up

Please do the Roll Calls for the river cruise & return this one back to the way it was

Lyn

I agree with you Lyn. Many of us are looking for general information because we have not yet cruised on river boats. I for one do not like to have to go to 6 or 7 different threads rather than being able to look at the one board we had before.

This new set-up is NOT an improvement.:(

I agree completely. Seems like a tacky way to get people's email addresses.

I also don't like splitting up the forum by cruiselines. It makes it much harder to get information.

Recommend you revert to the previous setup.

• Administrators

OK, I just double-checked, and every new forum here (River Cruises) is set up just like all the others on Cruise Critic -- you do not need to be registered or logged in to READ the posts.

Of course, you do need to be registered to post. Nothing has changed in the functionality of access.

The addition of individual cruise line forums for river cruising is due to the greater interest in river cruising, as well as Cruise Critic's expanded coverage on the site.

I've gone ahead and added a "General Discussion forum for you as well. Finally, there's an "Other" section dedicated to those smaller lines currently sailing.

The navigation to the site hasn't changed. River Cruising is still linked in the exact same place off our boards HOME PAGE (http://boards.cruisecritic.com). In addition, if you had River Cruising forum bookmarked, that bookmark takes you to the exact same place it did before, except now that area houses all the different forums we set up. PLUS, if you had a single thread bookmarked, that hasn't changed at all.

Laura

I'll add my 2 cents again.

The river cruise area was very useful for both newbies and returning river

cruisers and ocean cruisers. Because so many excursions are part of the river cruise experience, the roll calls were not very useful for coming together for more independant travelers. Also with only about 200 on a river cruise ship the universe is so much smaller.

If you add the AMA, Vikings,etc to the cruise lines we can talk there about each line.

I'm also a consistant complainer about those trolling for Viking's referral credits here.

Read the sticky- like the geographic suggestions, that works for me

have never travelled with GCT, but they are one of the oldest American river lines. Do they have a subforum-no. Seems to me that the ones that do also advertise on CC. Please break down the roll calls, but not the info part. Pat:(:(:(:(

Also are you going to double post threads like Avalon vs. uniworld. Right now they are only on one lines thread--can't get balanced info if you are a uniworld user and don't even see the thread. Please give us back the best board. Pat

I'm certain the changes were made with some forethought to make the site more useful. However, I too am finding the new layout disorienting. Perhaps the problem will dissipate with experience.

Could we have a frank assessment after a couple of weeks to see if the new design is working, needs some tweaking or lacks the beauty of the old setup?

I've been on three Viking cruises and, while not married to them, find it comfortable like an old shoe.

That being said, if I am interested, for example, in a river cruise from Paris to Prague or Amsterdam to Lucerne, under the old format, I could check out the experiences of people who have made the journey and it would be the journey itself, not whether they went on AMA or Uniworld or whatever.

The experiences and photos taken help in the planning - not necessarily if they went on X line or Y line.

We had a general river cruise board that fielded questions and comments on all aspects of river cruising. The powers that be decided to mees with a good thing that wasn't broken. Now it is broken and difficult to maneuver. Wish they had sub-topiced the river roll calls instead. There has not been one user that is positive about this. Pat:(

One thing good about the new boards is that I am not on the computer as much as there is less to read

Rather unwelcoming for newbies, however...

I wonder if there are any other alternatives - that wouldn't be so cumbersome to navigate??

Archived