Newbie considering Norwegian Fjords cruise

OctoberKat

Hello all. Jim and I just completed our first cruise, Regent Navigator in the Western Caribbean. Now we are very interested in Seabourn Quest's June 2016 cruise of the Norwegian fjords, round trip out of and back into Copenhagen, 14-Day Majestic Fjords & North Cape.

We're currently booked on a similar voyage on Azamara's Quest (interesting coincidence of ship names) for August 2016. Before canceling that cruise I want to reach out to the Seabourn experts here for information and advice, any observations you care to make. I know Seabourn will be more expensive but I think we may prefer the amenities, ambiance and ship. And, I'm more interested in seeing Copenhagen/Denmark than Amsterdam/Netherlands.

We'd be looking to book an owner's suite or spa suite. But I've heard the latter is reached via a spiral stairway which could be an issue (wonky knees). Info on other suites would be helpful. We need at least 500 sq. ft. plus veranda/ deck.

So, what say you?

Cheers,

Kathryn (Kat)

Addendum: I was unhappy with the music (live and piped) on the Regent cruise. What could I expect in that regard aboard Seabourn?

Edited by OctoberKat

Hi Kat,

We embarked SB in Copenhagen [so pre cruise time for you] and traveled as far north as Honningsvag. The Norwegian fjords were spectacular, the towns charming although limited. As we went north the landscape became more barren and I discovered that reindeer really are not that attractive!

We were on Navigator over New Years and share some impressions with you. I liked the pianist in The Seven Seas Lounge but those horns made Galileo a no-go for us. When we first started traveling SB they still had the Filipino groups and they were terrific. Since SB changed its policy to the bands having to be able to read music, the lounge scene has been much spottier. One time is was keyboard and languid female singer but last August it was an unspecial guitarist in The Club. The pianist in the Observation Lounge is usually quite good. On the whole, the shows had more talented performers than we saw in the JAR group on Regent.

I can't comment on the other suites. The spa suites are gorgeous and certainly fulfill your space needs. Lovely terraces. However they were added on top of the spa and indeed there are sharply curving wooden stairs. At night in hose or heels I was intimidated and holding onto the railing dearly. So you will have to evaluate your knee's needs! [i also have a wonky knee.]

I hope that you do SB for this cruise. I think that you will like it....keep us tuned in. Paula

Hi Kat,

We embarked SB in Copenhagen [so pre cruise time for you] and traveled as far north as Honningsvag. The Norwegian fjords were spectacular, the towns charming although limited. As we went north the landscape became more barren and I discovered that reindeer really are not that attractive!

We were on Navigator over New Years and share many impressions with you. I liked the pianist in The Seven Seas Lounge but those horns made Galileo a no-go for us. When we first started traveling SB they still had the Filipino groups and they were terrific. Since SB changed its policy to the bands having to be able to read music, the lounge scene has been much spottier. One time is was keyboard and languid female singer but last August it was an unspecial guitarist in The Club. [This is where the people who emphasize socializing state that this is ok.] The pianist in the Observation Lounge is usually quite good & it is a pretty room. On the whole, the shows had more talented performers than we saw in the JAR group on Regent. The staff is fabulous.

I can't comment on suites other than the spa suite where we stayed once. The spa suites are gorgeous and certainly fulfill your space needs. Lovely terraces. However they were added on top of the spa and indeed there are sharply curving wooden stairs. At night in hose or heels I was intimidated and holding onto the railing dearly. So you will have to evaluate your knee's needs! [i also have a wonky knee.]

I hope that you do SB for this cruise. I think that you will like it....keep us tuned in. Paula

I've seen your Regent threads;)

Piped music on Seabourn? Uhh... Well at least on the little sisters I don't recall such a thing (aside from the Prides final sail away which sadly played a song more associated with Crystal than Seabourn ><)

I can't comment on your room as to me room type on a Seabourn ship is irrelevant. (Ill just say that the Seabourn rooms start larger than Azamara and get bigger).

That being said if you imbibe you'll find there are no drinks packages you need to buy (as opposed to Azamaras somewhat confounding array of packages).

If you like caviar there is only one choice;)

I don't want to be that certain Regent poster and run my mouth while only knowing one side of the picture so Ill stop here:p

Kathryn - first, this is a lovely itinerary whichever line you choose, though especially in sunny weather, as it was last year.

The only muzak on SB is, sadly, around the pool area - why, heaven only knows. It is not loud, but annoying to most people.

If you have to have over 500 sq. ft. in your suite, then you would have to choose at least the penthouse spa grade, alas. If you could possibly manage with less, then the ordinary penthouse has 436 sq. ft. I personally could not cope with the staircase up to the spa suites, with two slightly wonky knees. Some people have said that they can hear noise from the open deck overhead in the (expensive) wintergarden suites.

In case you are not aware, Seabourn do not allow smoking inside suites, but it is allowed on verandahs. Brilliant if you do smoke, possibly not good otherwise, as you do notice it if it is near your verandah. I am not sure, but think it is not allowed on Regent.

Hi OctoberKat, we did that same itinerary on Seabourn in 2011. At that time it was on the SB Pride but i have also sailed on the Quest else where. You will find the SB Quest to very similar to the Navigator that you (we) just sailed on with several pluses. You'll love the Seabourn Square. I had read on your other thread that you would rather see a larger coffee bar/library. Well the Square is just that and more (ice cream :).)

You will also prefer the teatime on Seabourn as you won't be hurried out by trivia warriors.

I would not, however, recommend the Spa suites in that part of the world as there are often very strong and cold winds in the Northern Sea and you will not be able to enjoy your huge balcony. I would recommend a Penthouse suite on deck 10 as they are 2 steps away from the Observation Lounge with yummy predinner goodies accompagnied by a pianist. There is also a lot of light that time of year which is a great plus to the OL. Smoking is no longer allowed before 10 pm in that area YEAH.

The only set back can be the likliness of rough seas and the potentially COLD weather. Bring warm clothing.

Another plus- we didn't get food poisoning on that or any other Seabourn cruise.... For those of you who do not understand that comment, see my food poisoning thread on the Regent board.

Kathryn - first, this is a lovely itinerary whichever line you choose, though especially in sunny weather, as it was last year.

The only muzak on SB is, sadly, around the pool area - why, heaven only knows. It is not loud, but annoying to most people.

If you have to have over 500 sq. ft. in your suite, then you would have to choose at least the penthouse spa grade, alas. If you could possibly manage with less, then the ordinary penthouse has 436 sq. ft. I personally could not cope with the staircase up to the spa suites, with two slightly wonky knees. Some people have said that they can hear noise from the open deck overhead in the (expensive) wintergarden suites.

In case you are not aware, Seabourn do not allow smoking inside suites, but it is allowed on verandahs. Brilliant if you do smoke, possibly not good otherwise, as you do notice it if it is near your verandah. I am not sure, but think it is not allowed on Regent.

Now you have me asking a question:p On the wee sisters I don't recall them playing anything on the pool deck save for the live band. Is the piped in muzak something unique to the bigger sisters?

Yes, it is only on the new ships, and not always as Emperor Norton says. We try to find out why sometimes and not others, but never get a full answer for some reason. They will always turn it down, and it is not loud in the first place, but usually it is AWFUL; never anything any passenger likes. Just wailing women (usually) with just a few different notes. And only on the pool deck,thank goodness.

Thank you, Oregon50, enjoyed looking at Europa. And thanks, too, to other posters here.

Pulled the trigger and booked the 25 June 2016 Norwegian fjords cruise on Seabourn Quest, signature suite. Quite a chunk of change.

I'm jealous! Norwegian Fjords is on our bucket list

Pleased to hear that you have booked this - albeit not until next year! You are well organised, unlike some of us.

Re your suite - you will have fantastic forward views, so I will just say 'trollfjord'. Especially as I note you are, like us, not oversociable, so can view this treat on your own if you wish.

The scenery on this trip is amazing. And if you are lucky enough to enjoy the wonderful warm weather we enjoyed even better, if you like hiking take the train from Flam up to Myrdal and hike down the through a beautiful valley with waterfalls on both sides .

Yes, it is only on the new ships, and not always as Emperor Norton says. We try to find out why sometimes and not others, but never get a full answer for some reason. They will always turn it down, and it is not loud in the first place, but usually it is AWFUL; never anything any passenger likes. Just wailing women (usually) with just a few different notes. And only on the pool deck,thank goodness.

I thought it was just us who hated that Muzak. We've commented negatively on it on every post cruise comment sheet and ask for it to be turned off fairly often especially on port days if we are about the only people on deck. We have about a 50% hit ratio actually getting it shut off and often a change of shifts later in the day sees it back on again.

Roxburgh,

Miss W has just spent close to 8 weeks living in Norway and to entice you even more she said the Fjords are spectacular. She's keen to get me back so she can show me around.

If you do get on a trip i am sure she will be keen to give you some insider tips on Bergen and Tromso.

If anyone else is interested she has done a fairly interesting blog if you would like her to post. She has her own CC account now :)

Roxburgh,

Miss W has just spent close to 8 weeks living in Norway and to entice you even more she said the Fjords are spectacular. She's keen to get me back so she can show me around.

If you do get on a trip i am sure she will be keen to give you some insider tips on Bergen and Tromso.

If anyone else is interested she has done a fairly interesting blog if you would like her to post. She has her own CC account now :)

I am interested! I am booked on Seabourn Antarctica for 2016 and I might as well get some use out of my cold weather clothes! I am very close to booking Seabourn Norway for mid 2016 as well. Would love to hear from someone who has lived there!

I am interested! I am booked on Seabourn Antarctica for 2016 and I might as well get some use out of my cold weather clothes! I am very close to booking Seabourn Norway for mid 2016 as well. Would love to hear from someone who has lived there!

I feel a little bad posting a link to my whole blog on here, but as I was there for a while I wrote quite a few posts so it is hard to isolate them. I do have intentions of writing some 8 hours in Bergen, Oslo and Tromso blogs a little later on, as they are mostly cruising destinations and as a cruiser I find those posts useful in narrowing down what to do.

The first post about Norway is: "The First Week" and there is quite a few posts up from there. Hope it is useful.

https://thegurusdaughter.wordpress.com/

Mum and I have actually started to consider doing one of the 2016 Fjords cruises. Even after 8 weeks here I would love to come back. Would highly recommend it, the scenery is gorgeous and the people really lovely. It's also one of those destinations that is probably best done by cruise ship.

Edited by Miss W

MrsWaldo we would be interested as well if Miss W would like to post her blog as we are doing a 20 day Norway cruise mid July with another shipping line but we will be back to Seabourn for the next cruise .

Would have loved to go with Roxburgh when he goes as he did a great job with the "Letter from Quest" for our Antarctica cruise last year :)

Cruisingkirby,

Well if you end up with the glorious weather we had on our Norway cruise you will not want to waste space in your luggage with your Antarctica clothes. It was so delightful that I rarely wore anything heavier than windbreaker --- even our day at the North Cape it was 70degrees and sunny. There were even two guys on our cruise who insisted on wearing shorts most every day -- though to my thin Arizona blood it was not quite warm enough for that.

I must say that one of the big advantages to cruising Norway is the all inclusive nature of the trip. Food and drink prices are extremely high. We only need up eating lunch out a couple of times .