typical nightly menu

IntrepidFromDC

First time poster on HAL, as I have only cruised on Carnival but am a foodie and I stumbled onto some HAL menus on Google that look really, really intriguing.

My question is can someone point me to a typical dinner menu? I looked at a few menus on Google images but I'm thinking those must be the menus at the restaurants that cost extra (like the $70-for-2 supplement Steakhouse menu on Carnival).

Thanks in advance.

First time poster on HAL, as I have only cruised on Carnival but am a foodie and I stumbled onto some HAL menus on Google that look really, really intriguing.

My question is can someone point me to a typical dinner menu? I looked at a few menus on Google images but I'm thinking those must be the menus at the restaurants that cost extra (like the $70-for-2 supplement Steakhouse menu on Carnival).

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the menus for an entire cruise that should give you an idea of what to expect for all of the lunches, dinners, and late snacks:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-alaska-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-2016/

Thanks in advance.

Here are the 2016/2017 Caribbean 7 Day Menus. There are two rotations, Set A and Set B

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52007991&postcount=10

Is there any way to guess which rotation you'll have? Oosterdam. This next friday western.

You'd need a starting point, like knowing which rotation was running at some point and extrapolating from there. There's also the chance that a charter throws off the rotation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

While I am sure that you will find the MDR enjoyable, I would not suggest that you will necessarily find quality or presentation much different than what you have experienced on Carnival. If you do want a more memorable dining experience, you will have to pay extra for specialty dining.

I would say that what I found to be a pleasant surprise was the variety offered in the buffets.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hi there

While I am sure that you will find the MDR enjoyable, I would not suggest that you will necessarily find quality or presentation much different than what you have experienced on Carnival. If you do want a more memorable dining experience, you will have to pay extra for specialty dining.

I would say that what I found to be a pleasant surprise was the variety offered in the buffets.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thanks in advance.

Let me jump in as well. Nothing wrong with the MDR. It's as good as any of the comparable cruise lines. However, we rarely dine in the MDR. We are getting older and with all the hustle and bustle in the MDR, we find it difficult to carry on a conversation. Consequently, we dine elsewhere. HAL often has the same items on their buffet as are available on the MDR menu for that evening. Also, HAL allows you to order any item from the MDR menu as room service for no charge as long as the MDR is open.

MDR menus have changed for the better in recent years in my opinion. Many different items on the menu as well as the "always available" dependable items. Service has always been good.

Dive-in's burgers and fries are superior! In my opinion and in comparison with the over-hyped Guy's Burgers on the Carnival ships.

MDR menus have changed for the better in recent years in my opinion. Many different items on the menu as well as the "always available" dependable items. Service has always been good.

Dive-in's burgers and fries are superior! In my opinion and in comparison with the over-hyped Guy's Burgers on the Carnival ships.

So here's another foodie comparison opportunity. I think Guys burgers on Carnival ships are CRAP. My favorite burgers back home are the double burgers in the Whole Foods café.

Here is a link to the menus for an entire cruise that should give you an idea of what to expect for all of the lunches, dinners, and late snacks:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-alaska-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-2016/

Thanx for the link!

We are sailing the Eurodam to Alaska and this gave us a great idea of what to expect mealwise.

Curious about the Lido Marketplace Late Night Snack menu - what time is this open?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a "foodie" you will not be wowed by the food on HAL ships, but you will be well fed with sufficient variety and choice. Dining is a pleasurable part of the day for us and we like the discrete formality of the MDR, though some locations can be busy and noisy. See if you can change to find a spot that best suits you.

Thanx for the link!

We are sailing the Eurodam to Alaska and this gave us a great idea of what to expect mealwise.

Curious about the Lido Marketplace Late Night Snack menu - what time is this open?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10:00 or 10:30 to 11:30.

I have all the late night menus if you want them. (Because I care.)

Here are all the late night menus. I don't know what order they're served in because we're a late, fixed seating people and there's no way we'd be ready for our next feeding an hour after we finished dinner.

Also, the bars are counting on us, so we can't really bail before midnight.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/c13a4a6c-1067-40b7-8db1-23d745eb5282/9fed848e740106369b7430d8583db92d

So here's another foodie comparison opportunity. I think Guys burgers on Carnival ships are CRAP. My favorite burgers back home are the double burgers in the Whole Foods café.

Did not realize that Whole Foods had a cafe. A store recently opened in my vicinity and I have not visited. Your post gives me another reason to do so.

What about the fries at Guy's Burgers? McDonald's are better, I think.

Is there any way to guess which rotation you'll have? Oosterdam. This next friday western.
Do you have Le Cirque or Du Librije as a choice when you look at available specialty dining? I have a theory that Le Cirque is tied to the B menus and Du Librije the A, but that's merely based on a couple of cruises on Eurodam that people posted about. I'll know whether my theory is wrong when I get on Eurodam next Saturday (although not necessarily that it's always correct).

If you can figure out which set an earlier (or better yet, the current) cruise on Oosterdam had, you can guess.

As a "foodie" you will not be wowed by the food on HAL ships

Of course, if the poster was satisfied with the food on Carnival, then the HAL menus might be fine, and even an improvement.

I also like to think of myself a "foodie" and am looking forward to my HAL experience next week. I hope I won't be too disappointed (we were on HAL in 2010 and I recall that the food was good). I plan to eat at Tamarind but not necessarily at Pinnacle or Canaletto.

Do you have Le Cirque or Du Librije as a choice when you look at available specialty dining? I have a theory that Le Cirque is tied to the B menus and Du Librije the A, but that's merely based on a couple of cruises on Eurodam that people posted about. I'll know whether my theory is wrong when I get on Eurodam next Saturday (although not necessarily that it's always correct).

If you can figure out which set an earlier (or better yet, the current) cruise on Oosterdam had, you can guess.

The one that's available on your sailing should show up as available to book when you login to the HAL site and look under dining at your reservation. We could see de Librije months in advance. Same with Le Cirque.

The one that's available on your sailing should show up as available to book when you login to the HAL site and look under dining at your reservation. We could see de Librije months in advance. Same with Le Cirque.

We have Le Cirque on our cruise which brings me to a question. I notice that HAL is offering, at a cost, room service from the PG. Does anyone know if PG room service would be available on a night with Le Cirque?

We have Le Cirque on our cruise which brings me to a question. I notice that HAL is offering, at a cost, room service from the PG. Does anyone know if PG room service would be available on a night with Le Cirque?

A person on our cruise said that PG Room Service wasn't available on the specialty nights because the kitchen is switched over to the special menus.

A person on our cruise said that PG Room Service wasn't available on the specialty nights because the kitchen is switched over to the special menus.

I was afraid that might be the case. I guess we'll eat in the Lido that night. Le Cirque doesn't appeal to us and neither does the MDR menu (B).

I do see that the Lido Marketplace has a lot of the same items that is being served in the MDR that evening. Just curious as to the "quality" - assuming it may be better in the MDR as it is not sitting under a warmer?

From what our fellow guests have told us in December, there is not a lot of difference. We met some people at BB King who prefer to avoid the dining room, and they were raving about the Lido dinners. They "came over" from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity on a family trip.

When I compared the two menus, there's very little that the Lido does not offer - if anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have Le Cirque or De Librije as a choice when you look at available specialty dining? I have a theory that Le Cirque is tied to the B menus and De Librije the A, but that's merely based on a couple of cruises on Eurodam that people posted about. I'll know whether my theory is wrong when I get on Eurodam next Saturday (although not necessarily that it's always correct)..

So, my theory was wrong. We had the B menus.