Keeping Fit While Cruising

BBMacLaird

There's a new blog post on our ACC website with 5 tips for "Keeping Fit While Cruising."

Perhaps they forgot one..."don't be tempted by the pastries in the Mosaic Cafe!" That's one I should have remembered (note my earlier blog post on the Mosaic Cafe ;)

What others can you think of??

Here's a link:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/keeping-fit-cruising/

We always stay in Suites and eat in the wonderful Specialty Restaurants. We love the food, but find that if we split our meals we get enough to eat and save on extra calories. If we ordered a whole plate each, we would eat a whole plate each. This way we each get great food and half of the calories. Then we have some room for the Mosaic Cafe :-)\

I realise not everyone is able to do this but we make a point of never using the lifts for the entire cruise, this way we can ensure we get at least some exercise every day

Vicki

my trick plus the track about 1 hour 4 or 5 times a week.. i d onot eat from the coffee bar .

I realise not everyone is able to do this but we make a point of never using the lifts for the entire cruise, this way we can ensure we get at least some exercise every day

Vicki

This is what we do, too. I've never been in any elevator on any cruise ship that I've been on. I am grateful that I have knees that can take all the climbing!

On the other hand, though, I've never been in any gym, either. Sigh. Always room for improvement I suppose. ;)

This is what we do, too. I've never been in any elevator on any cruise ship that I've been on. I am grateful that I have knees that can take all the climbing!

On the other hand, though, I've never been in any gym, either. Sigh. Always room for improvement I suppose. ;)

Don't mean to sound boastful but as well as also never taking lifts in any cruise ship I have been on also you can probably guess from my CC handle I am also partial to the gym!

Vicki

How about Nordic Pole Walking on the Deck 10 fitness track? I intend to bring my poles on our upcoming Antarctic Cruise - we are at sea for 12 out of 17 days!

Sometimes on sea days we eat a late breakfast and then skip the lunch buffet in Windows! On those days we enjoy late afternoon nibbles from Mosaic or the Afternoon Delights from Windows. Also liked the seared tuna wrap at the Pool Grill but seems to no longer be on the menu. Love the MDR for dinner - portion size is perfect. Our kryptonite is the gelato and the coconut macaroons!

For me it's using the stairs instead of the elevator, lots of fast walking on the jogging track first thing in the morning (with a quick stop afterwards for coffee and a snack from Mosaic....I always try to do a couple of extra laps because of this!) But what really helps is walking and walking and walking in ports. I always intend to join a yoga group too, but it never seems to be at a convenient time.

Edited by mare s.

Skip the bread basket at all meals (well except for maybe one of those skinny bread sticks or three) and enjoy healthy proteins and carbohydrates and maybe a pinch of dessert. Wash down the aforementioned with a glass of healthy red wine! Skip all sugary drinks, whether natural or fake sugar, including limiting fruit juices. I am always shocked how much carbonated soda people consume (both daily at work and even more so on a cruise).

John

• 4 weeks later...

We wear pedometers and log at least 10,000 steps per day while on a cruise. It can be a long walk in port, laps around the deck, dancing the night away, whatever activity it takes. I've been known to march in place while brushing my teeth just to get the last few steps in.:p We have loaded our exercise DVDs onto our iPads and bring a set of resistance bands so we can get in a "real" workout on sea days or days when we aren't in port all day long.

We pretty much eat and drink what we want. I've finally started listening to my full signal and ignoring the "children are starving in xxxxx" that was a part of my upbringing (and a contributing factor in a lifelong struggle with my weight). We have also started sharing plates, but have found that many waiters/waitresses won't hear of it and bring us two of everything, or add items that they think we might like. So we just don't finish it.

And we have a full glass of water with every cocktail or glass of wine. It keeps us running to the loo, but it also keeps our consumption down (slightly:D).

We wear pedometers and log at least 10,000 steps per day while on a cruise. It can be a long walk in port, laps around the deck, dancing the night away, whatever activity it takes. I've been known to march in place while brushing my teeth just to get the last few steps in.:p We have loaded our exercise DVDs onto our iPads and bring a set of resistance bands so we can get in a "real" workout on sea days or days when we aren't in port all day long.

We pretty much eat and drink what we want. I've finally started listening to my full signal and ignoring the "children are starving in xxxxx" that was a part of my upbringing (and a contributing factor in a lifelong struggle with my weight). We have also started sharing plates, but have found that many waiters/waitresses won't hear of it and bring us two of everything, or add items that they think we might like. So we just don't finish it.

And we have a full glass of water with every cocktail or glass of wine. It keeps us running to the loo, but it also keeps our consumption down (slightly:D).

Good suggestions! I just got a new wrist-watch style pedometer and have been striving for 10k steps as well. Not easy when you're on the computer as much as I am. I think I should go for a walk...bye for an hour or so :)

My efforts (pretty poor and minimal) are

* try and book a room a slight walk from the elevator

*Walk the long way around to things

* drink plenty bottled water (ships water is not good for me)

* Each port have a good walk around

* Check out the sugar free desserts - they have really surprised me how good they are

* Eat the low fat or sugar free icecream - on a blind tasting I would defy you to tell the difference between them and the bad boys some time

* Reward myself with one naughty a day either ashore or from Mosaic - after all I am on holiday and I find it more manageable when I say to myself you can have one than to say no no no

DH goes to the gym each morning, at the end of the cruise we check our weight gain and they are broadly equivalent (however he does have a couple more drinks a night than me and he does do the gym all the time at home as well)

Don't mean to sound boastful but as well as also never taking lifts in any cruise ship I have been on also you can probably guess from my CC handle I am also partial to the gym!

Vicki

Vicki, two words to add. Exercise band! ;)

Avoiding those lunchtime desserts and having the (delicious) melon, pineapple and a spoonful of cottage cheese helps me.

Phil

We always stay in Suites and eat in the wonderful Specialty Restaurants. We love the food, but find that if we split our meals we get enough to eat and save on extra calories. If we ordered a whole plate each, we would eat a whole plate each. This way we each get great food and half of the calories. Then we have some room for the Mosaic Cafe :-)\

I can't go to the Specialities every day because of the temptation to eat the delicious dishes and ultimately I get bored of the same menu. Azamara seem to have that in hand with the varying menu in Aqualina so will see how we go on Quest. I'm looking forward to the offerings and with Fabio as Executive Chef there it should be good!

A few days off in the buffet suits me well too and in the evening it is very civilised.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Vicki, two words to add. Exercise band! ;)

Avoiding those lunchtime desserts and having the (delicious) melon, pineapple and a spoonful of cottage cheese helps me.

Phil

Phil, your so right.

I always take a resistance band on holiday with me. A light but essential all round piece of euipment, a definite must have

Vicki

Exercise! :eek: Keep Fit! :eek:

I go on holiday and cruises to relax and enjoy myself and whilst we'll do sensible things like use the stairs and dance the night away, it's quite nice to have a break from all the exercise I do at home.

I've visited the gym on every cruise we've been on....for about 5 minutes usually, looked at all the equipment and then decided there's far better ways to spend my time on board.

However given a table tennis table (or even better, a tennis court) and I can exercise happily for quite a while. ;)

There's a new blog post on our ACC website with 5 tips for "Keeping Fit While Cruising."

Perhaps they forgot one..."don't be tempted by the pastries in the Mosaic Cafe!" That's one I should have remembered (note my earlier blog post on the Mosaic Cafe ;)

What others can you think of??

Here's a link:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/keeping-fit-cruising/

Bonnie,

My husband does daily workouts in the gym and running track. He also brings a stationary cord, hip belt that he uses in the pool that allows him to swim in place. We are going on the Journey in January to South America and Antarctica and he wants to know if the pool is available and is it heated during the colder cruises.

Thanks,

Pat

Bonnie,

My husband does daily workouts in the gym and running track. He also brings a stationary cord, hip belt that he uses in the pool that allows him to swim in place. We are going on the Journey in January to South America and Antarctica and he wants to know if the pool is available and is it heated during the colder cruises.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat, I had to inquire about this one. You can tell your husband he's in luck ... "we maintain the pool at a temperature of 28-30 C (82-86 F) even in Antarctica."

Hi Pat, I had to inquire about this one. You can tell your husband he's in luck ... "we maintain the pool at a temperature of 28-30 C (82-86 F) even in Antarctica."

Bonnie,

Thanks for the info. My husband is a happy camper or I guess swimmer. :)

Pat

I occasionally order just a salad and appetizer for dinner. No desserts (but husband makes up for what I don't order). Gym. 'Wogging' on the track whenever the weather permits. Split an occasional meal. Eat several small healthy choices throughout the day. Whatever I do to be good throughout the day, gets blown away when they start pouring the wine, however ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been three months since we disembarked the Azamara Journey and happy to report we are both back to pre-cruise weight!

Next time I'll be much more disciplined, and will probably pass up most desserts and pastries. Or perhaps will only sample but not finish them ;)

Plus I'll take my wrist pedometer WITH me!