Cuban Cigars

hapump1

With the recent changes between the US and Cuba, I heard that you can now bring back up to $100 worth of cigars and alcohol when traveling to Cuba. Does this also mean we can bring back Cuban cigars bought in another country while on a cruise? Anyone know?

I tried looking on US customs site but couldn't find anything recent/current.

There are really no recent changes. We are really jumping the gun here. There are announced changes to come, and proposed changes, many of which will require Congress to approve. But nothing, other than the prisoner exchange, has actually occurred.

Certainly no time to, as of yet, officially change something like import limits of cigars. Things don't move that fast.

Just make a day trip to Canada and smuggle them back, like every one does ;)

Or, save up your "legal" cigar bands and take them with you on your cruise. Put the "legal" bands on those godless Communist Cuban stogies ;-)

Or just buy a bunch and enjoy them on your cruise...

Edited by slidergirl

With the recent changes between the US and Cuba, I heard that you can now bring back up to $100 worth of cigars and alcohol when traveling to Cuba. Does this also mean we can bring back Cuban cigars bought in another country while on a cruise? Anyone know?

I think you are correct.

Were you to buy Cuban cigars or Rum in Canada, for example, you are able to bring $100 worth into the U.S. with you. Please confirm if the usual restrictions as to having to be out of the U.S. 48 hours and not having used your duty free exemption in the last 30 days applies.

I think you are correct.

Were you to buy Cuban cigars or Rum in Canada, for example, you are able to bring $100 worth into the U.S. with you. Please confirm if the usual restrictions as to having to be out of the U.S. 48 hours and not having used your duty free exemption in the last 30 days applies.

Cuban cigars are prohibited regardless of where you buy them. I live in Canada and know that I cannot legally bring Cuban cigars into the United States even if purchased in Canada.

Cuban cigars are prohibited regardless of where you buy them. I live in Canada and know that I cannot legally bring Cuban cigars into the United States even if purchased in Canada.

No longer........ President Obama made changes last week.

Perhaps you missed the news reports?

No longer........ President Obama made changes last week.

Perhaps you missed the news reports?

No, I read that but the specifics of the link you provided state:

"Authorized travelers to Cuba will be allowed to return with $400 of general goods and up to $100 of alcohol or tobacco products. That can include cigars," a senior administration official told reporters.

The key to me is the "Authorized travelers to Cuba" part... nothing about travellers from Canada..

I personally don't care but the changes being discussed don't yet appear to have completely loosened the restrictions. This site hasn't been updated but it clearly states:

"All importations of Cuban cigars are illegal, including Cuban cigars that were acquired in other countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico)."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

Once everything is worked out I suspect it won't be an issue, but I personally wouldn't start visiting my country to procur Cuban cigars in hopes of bringing them home with you.

Cigars, Cuban or otherwise, mean nothing to me. I can't stand the stink. :) My understanding is Cuban cigars can be purchased and brought home my Americans but I understand the point you are making.

Someone who tries buying them other than Cuba and tries to bring them into U.S. will hopefully 'report' here if they are successful. I definitely would not try to fail to declare them. That could get one in trouble.

This may help.

Found this on the Office of Foreign Assets Control website:

Q. How will OFAC implement the changes to the Cuba sanctions program announced by the President on December 17, 2014? Are the changes effective immediately?

A. OFAC will implement the Treasury-specific changes via amendments to its Cuban Assets Control Regulations. The Department of Commerce will implement the remainder of the changes via amendments to its Export Administration Regulations. OFAC expects to issue its regulatory amendments in the coming weeks. None of the announced changes takes effect until the new regulations are issued.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the site I mention above some things are changing effective 1/16/2015. For those interested they now have a email sign up for Cuba policy changes.

Unfortunately their FAQs today stated:

24. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol over the internet or while in a third country (i.e., not Cuba)?No. These transactions remain prohibited, and OFAC has not issued any general license that would authorize them.

Less than 100 days until my Caribbean cruise - hoping things loosen up before then....

Edited by flkeys2000

The answer is no. Even when the new policies go into effect, the $100 allowance only applies to those 12 categories of permitted persons traveling to Cuba. Cruise passengers are not included.

I believe the new U.S. Cuban policies go into effect this week.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k8072890-New_U_S_Cuba_Trade_Travel_Rules_effective_on_Friday-Air_Travel.html

If so, you can bring back to U.S. $100 worth of alcohol and Cuban cigars from a third country.

Edited by sail7seas

I checked with a CBP friend of mine and he refered me to the following policy:

"Licensed U.S. travelers to Cuba will be authorized to import $400 worth of goods from Cuba, of which no more than $100 can consist of tobacco products and alcohol combined."

Key word..."Licensed U.S. Travelers." This means the eased regulations only refer to the 12 categories of licensed travelers. Translation....Technically, it is still illegal for cruise passengers to import cigars.