Havana Night Clubs?

baggal

Our cruise ship is offering tours to two different nightclubs - The Tropicana and the Parisean at the Hotel Nacional.

First question: has anyone been to one or the other and can you offer some feedback in general on the type of show, the vibe, etc. How touristy and kitschy was it? Similiar to a Las Vegas revue?

Second question: Can you recommend one over the other?

Third question: If we don't go, can you recommend something else to do in Havana in the evening?

Thanks.

Our cruise ship is offering tours to two different nightclubs - The Tropicana and the Parisean at the Hotel Nacional.

First question: has anyone been to one or the other and can you offer some feedback in general on the type of show, the vibe, etc. How touristy and kitschy was it? Similiar to a Las Vegas revue?

Second question: Can you recommend one over the other?

Third question: If we don't go, can you recommend something else to do in Havana in the evening?

Thanks.

I'm also interested in the replies

We haven't been yet and I am no expert, but I hear the Parisean at the Hotel Nacional is indoors, air conditioned and smoke-free. I believe the Tropicana is outdoors, weather permitting, and smoking is allowed.

I believe the shows are fairly similar, Vegas style. Youtube should have samples of both.

Based upon the advice of those that have gone already, I bought our tickets for the Parisean in advance, online and we will just DIY the taxis. https://www.hotelnacional-decuba.com switch to your desired language and currency.

• 3 weeks later...
We haven't been yet and I am no expert, but I hear the Parisean at the Hotel Nacional is indoors, air conditioned and smoke-free. I believe the Tropicana is outdoors, weather permitting, and smoking is allowed.

I believe the shows are fairly similar, Vegas style. Youtube should have samples of both.

Based upon the advice of those that have gone already, I bought our tickets for the Parisean in advance, online and we will just DIY the taxis. https://www.hotelnacional-decuba.com switch to your desired language and currency.

I see there are a few options. Did you choose the show & drink option or go with dinner, show, etc.? Have you already gone? If so, your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Based upon the advice of those that have gone already, I bought our tickets for the Parisean in advance, online and we used a taxi to get there. Here are my notes for and from the evening…

https://www.hotelnacional-decuba.com , click “offers” in the black title bar, then switch to your desired language and currency in the gold title bar. Then click “Cabaret Parisiem” in the left column.

You basically have to decide between two choices:

Cover and cocktail - $35USD

https://www.hotelnacional-decuba.com/oferta/Cover-and-cocktail-Cabaret-Parisiem/193 (a posed partial-cast picture on this page)

Cover + Cocktail + Dinner + 1 Drink- $65USD

https://www.hotelnacional-decuba.com/oferta/Cover-Cocktail-Dinner-1-Drink-Cabaret-Parisien/199 (a pretty accurate in-show picture, we were seated off to the right)

The obvious difference is the dinner. I do not think it changes where you sit. I believe the theater seating is basically first-come-first-seated-near-the-front (other than the ships tour bus), but I am not 100% certain of that. I have no knowledge about buying show tickets the day of the show in person.

The web site seems safe. They use a Spanish bank for the processing, so be prepared for your credit card company to flag it as suspicious. You may need to be on the phone with your credit card company while trying to make the purchase.

You hopefully get a voucher (i.e. receipt) in your email, but I don’t know when. I don’t know if this will eventually be sent automatically. Four days after I made my online purchase without receiving anything, I emailed them to ask what I should get and they sent me the voucher.

The Cabaret Parisien was very nice. Indoors, air conditioned and smoke free (as expected).

The show is all in Spanish, with the exception of some opening & closing comments. (as expected)

We left the ship after cleaning up from a sweaty day, dressing for the show (long pants and closed toe shoes required for men) and grabbing a bite on the ship.

When we left the terminal, we saw taxis lined up across the street from the terminal. But, there was a "dispatcher" (no uniform or signage) on the terminal side of the street sidewalk and he summoned and arranged things for us.

The first taxi they offered was a classic car for 20CUC, I offered 15CUC and he politely declined. The "dispatcher" summoned a "regular" taxi for 15CUC. That driver offered to pick us up after the show also, so we accepted. It was nice to not have to find a taxi when the show was over, as we just had to spot our driver. It is about 10-15 minute ride as I recall.

Our driver dropped us off right at the Cabaret entrance, about 8:30 PM. The cabaret doors open at 9 PM sharp. So we sat on the benches provided on the outdoor walkway and waited. We were glad that the rest of the evening would be indoors. ;)

At 9 PM sharp they opened the doors and we were very near the front of the line.

They accepted my printed voucher from my online reservation and seated us near the front, on the side. About half the front tables were set for dinner and half were not. We did not get the dinner package, but the food looked and smelled good. The waiters doing dinner & dessert service during the show for the later arrivals were a little distracting, but not bad.

Our waiter brought our mojito drink (included) and we listed to the pre-show 4 piece musical group (Cuban jazz, nice) and we watched some people get dinner served. We didn’t order any additional drinks, but I didn’t see anybody settling a drink tab, so I have no idea when or how they do their bar billings.

About 9:40 there was a mass entrance of people that I assume was the ship bus tour. They were seated behind us and the folks eating dinner, but they were still not bad seats as the theater is not huge.

The show started right at 10 PM and ended about 11:35. There is no nudity in the show. Then they encouraged people to stay for more dancing, but we were tired.

Towards the end of the show there are musicians on stage. The majority of the show is recorded music (or hidden musicians). Within the Cabaret show were some separate acts: a magician, 2 strength acrobat guys and a solo bongo/conga player. At multiple times during the show, the stage is filled as there is a very large & colorful cast of singers and dancers

====

The one thing we missed, or did wrong, was not seeing the inside of the Hotel Nacional. I assumed the theater would be an inside entrance from the hotel, but it is a separate outside entrance. Since our taxi driver dropped us off right at the Cabaret entrance, and then we were basically waiting in line and didn’t want to give up our spot at the front, we didn't want to lose our place to go see the hotel. So I would suggest getting there a little earlier and/or getting dropped off at the hotel entrance, rather than the Cabaret entrance, if you want to see the hotel. Our taxi driver probably thought he was doing us a favor by taking us where we asked, so certainly not his fault.

====

Did we enjoy the evening? YES

Would I do it again? Maybe, but we would probably do something different before repeating the same show

Would I recommend it? Yes, if this is what you are looking for

Did we enjoy the evening? YES

Would I do it again? Maybe, but we would probably do something different before repeating the same show

Would I recommend it? Yes, if this is what you are looking for

Wayne - complete and accurate review of the evening - I did the same in June. Including the "too tired to stay for dancing lessons" part :D

I took a coco cab over, $10.00. Great fun. Grabbed a normal cab back, a little more. Late night pricing, maybe.

I did go early and had time to enjoy a mojito on the outdoor terrace before the show. It is a nice way to see part of the hotel and enjoy the view. Depending on the time of the year, you can also see a spectacular sunset up there.

The table next to me had dinner, you are correct about the service interrupting the show, for them, not for me. The dinner did not look or smell very appetizing to me, some generic meat and potatoes, as I recall. I did not hear or see any raving or positive remarks about it from them.

I was glad I went, and glad I made that choice over the Tropicana. Like you, I will most likely choose something else next trip, perhaps a club right in the old city. Plus, I'm going in December when it will not be quite so darn hot and humid!

Wayne - complete and accurate review of the evening - I did the same in June. Including the "too tired to stay for dancing lessons" part :D

I took a coco cab over, $10.00. Great fun. Grabbed a normal cab back, a little more. Late night pricing, maybe.

I did go early and had time to enjoy a mojito on the outdoor terrace before the show. It is a nice way to see part of the hotel and enjoy the view. Depending on the time of the year, you can also see a spectacular sunset up there.

The table next to me had dinner, you are correct about the service interrupting the show, for them, not for me. The dinner did not look or smell very appetizing to me, some generic meat and potatoes, as I recall. I did not hear or see any raving or positive remarks about it from them.

I was glad I went, and glad I made that choice over the Tropicana. Like you, I will most likely choose something else next trip, perhaps a club right in the old city. Plus, I'm going in December when it will not be quite so darn hot and humid!

Eaton,

PLEASE tell me how great is the distance from the cruise terminal exit to the closest location to get a cab for 4. We are on Oct. 16 cruise and hope to do the show and have dinner at the hotel prior to the show. Walking distance to get a cab is an issue.

Thanks. Grace

PLEASE tell me how great is the distance from the cruise terminal exit to the closest location to get a cab for 4. We are on Oct. 16 cruise and hope to do the show and have dinner at the hotel prior to the show. Walking distance to get a cab is an issue.

It is literally a few feet outside the terminal to get a taxi. So, distance outside the terminal is not an issue. I do not recall if there was unevenness or anything tricky in the sidewalk area. The distance to get off the ship and thru the terminal is NOT trivial, but it all depends upon your needs and limits.

The walk from the taxi to the Cabaret was only a medium distance over smooth sidewalk. I do not recall if there were any steps.

It is literally a few feet outside the terminal to get a taxi. So, distance outside the terminal is not an issue. I do not recall if there was unevenness or anything tricky in the sidewalk area. The distance to get off the ship and thru the terminal is NOT trivial, but it all depends upon your needs and limits.

The walk from the taxi to the Cabaret was only a medium distance over smooth sidewalk. I do not recall if there were any steps.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I did not read your post correctly as I thought you had a future cruise. Did not know you had already been there. We will have to take the TINY ELEVATOR at the terminal as stairs are a no no. Glad to know it is not a long, long walk to get a taxi.

We hope to do the CABARET PARISIEM COVER + COCKTAIL + BUFFET + 1 DRINK they offer on their site for $45 pp US.

Grace

Thank you for the prompt reply. I did not read your post correctly as I thought you had a future cruise. Did not know you had already been there. We will have to take the TINY ELEVATOR at the terminal as stairs are a no no. Glad to know it is not a long, long walk to get a taxi.

We hope to do the CABARET PARISIEM COVER + COCKTAIL + BUFFET + 1 DRINK they offer on their site for $45 pp US.

Grace

What website was that I did not find the site with $45 pp

What website was that I did not find the site with $45 pp

It was the Hotel Nacionale web site. We booked it yesterday. We looked at all of their offers and decided to select the buffet in hopes that there would be items of interest to us as it has been reported by some who have been there that food choices are limited in Cuba.

• 5 months later...

What is a “coco” cab?

What is a “coco” cab?

It is a small, open air (covered) round, yellow 3 wheeled vehicle, alternative to a regular closed taxi.

I never have luck attaching pix here, but I'm sure if you go to YouTube and search for Cuba tourist videos, there will be a photo.

Ther are quite common in Havana. They zip right along, so it's not like a golf cart.

Interesting side note, I had a woman driver, and she was the only one I saw in my 2 days there.

A lot of senior citizens in Florida drive 3 wheeled motorcycles, the coco cab is sort of like a covered one of those, but not as noisy.

We are thinking about NOT doing a “show” in Havana during our overnight. Instead we are thinking of “bar hopping” I use that phrase lightly considering our group will be between 47-60+ yrs old! [emoji6]. Perhaps I should call it bar/club sampling for different entertainment options. Feel like we get enough Las Vegas style shows on cruise ships. Was thinking we could find several different bars with a local trio or quartet playing local music? Anyone done this instead? Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a small, open air (covered) round, yellow 3 wheeled vehicle, alternative to a regular closed taxi.

I never have luck attaching pix here, but I'm sure if you go to YouTube and search for Cuba tourist videos, there will be a photo.

Ther are quite common in Havana. They zip right along, so it's not like a golf cart.

Interesting side note, I had a woman driver, and she was the only one I saw in my 2 days there.

A lot of senior citizens in Florida drive 3 wheeled motorcycles, the coco cab is sort of like a covered one of those, but not as noisy.

Coco-Taxi_Driver_-_Havana_-_Cuba.jpg

We are thinking about NOT doing a “show” in Havana during our overnight. Instead we are thinking of “bar hopping” I use that phrase lightly considering our group will be between 47-60+ yrs old! [emoji6]. Perhaps I should call it bar/club sampling for different entertainment options. Feel like we get enough Las Vegas style shows on cruise ships. Was thinking we could find several different bars with a local trio or quartet playing local music? Anyone done this instead? Thoughts? Pros/cons?

We are in the same age grou and desire to sample cuban music and musicians instead of vegas style shows. Would appreciate the feedback :)

I have been to Tropicana in 2011. I’m assuming it hasn’t changed much. It was in English (at least the emceeing; most of the music was in Spanish). We chose it for its historical connections; many famous singers performed there back in the 40s & 50s, and many famous Americans attended it. The location is outdoors but under some tree cover. It was very nice, but we were there in August, so weather may affect it at other times.

I don’t recall there being much smoke, if any. We had the drink and show package, no dinner.

The show was enjoyable, but honestly underwhelming. We wouldn’t go again. I think an evening in a bar or just enjoying the malecon (spelling?) would be more enjoyable.

We are in the same age grou and desire to sample cuban music and musicians instead of vegas style shows. Would appreciate the feedback :)

We went to Tradicionales de los 50s. It features Cuban musicians performing music of the nature of Buena Vista Social Club. Here is a review that I wrote for another website.

====

We had heard of this venue/performance before our trip, had contacted them via internet and had a reservation/voucher for an evening's performance. Choices were dinner/drinks for 50CUC or drinks only for 30CUC. Given that it was a 9:30 performance we decided to have dinner elsewhere and go with the 3 drinks option. Per the email from the venue:

"I would like to highlight, we will hold your seats with a very nice

location until 9.00 pm, that´s why, I strongly recommend to be at the

venue at 8:30 pm"

We dutifully arrived around 8:30 and were taken to a table that was nowhere near the stage, actually around the corner and across an open courtyard from the stage, with a massive pillar between us and the stage. When I complained they explained that these were the best drinks-only seats, the remainder were reserved for dinner customers.

The performances were pretty good, clearly legitimate local celebrities, although most of the music was unfamiliar. If sure would have been nice to have actually seen the performers.

We were seated with tourists from Germany and Switzerland. There was a cigar vendor circulating and our Swiss table-mate purchased a particularly nasty cigar and proceeded to smoke it at the table. We did not stay for the entire show.

You'll love the Buena Vista Social Club show at the Havana Cafe in the Melia Cohiba Hotel! We did it as a cruise ship tour but you can do it on your own. They're a famous Cuban jazz-like group and also have singers and dancers (not Vegas stuff..... they're Latin style). The group started many years ago and only a few originals are still playing. We had a fantastic evening!!

I would strongly suggest the Tropicana Show ... 70 some dancers, incredible, incredible! On PEARL MIST the trip is included for all our guests and they love it. Yes, it's later than my bedtime at home, but it's worth staying up for. That show has been running contstantly, through wars and revolutions, since the 1930s. Our group always has great seats, and they include a welcome champagne drink, and then 1 bottle of rum for every FOUR people! And a bottle of their knock off version of Coke, and the last time we had REAL Coke in tiny bottles. The venue itself is amazing! I'd go visit the Hotel Nacional during the day since that's when you'll get the best view. We go to Hotel Nacional on the tour, have a mojito in the bar that has the pictures of all the famous people who've stayed there, then the entire group gets in the old Yank Tank cars and we drive about 20 minutes to the next stop. Really fantastic! Regards, Richard

My husband has stayed at the Hotel Nacional during previous business trips to Cuba. We were wanting something more “fluid” for the evening that would give us some flexibility. We also are wanting something more interactive and that will allow our group of six to still socialize throughout the evening. If we had more than one overnight in Havana then this might be an option for our second night. Too many neat things to do and not enough time!