Carnival Customer Service

Our review of our January three day cruise from Long Beach to Esenada is in the ship review section under Carnival Inspiration. It's a booze cruise. We were under no illusions about that. Other than one child, the other ten of us drink. We brought wine on board (within Carnival's limits) and bought other alcohol.

We wrote to Carnival in January concerning our experience. When we did not get a reply we called. I finally sent a followup letter in June, to which I received an e-mail response. So it only took 5 months. My guess is that customer service was busy.

We had no heat in our cabin, indeed there isn't any heat in any exterior cabin. The outside temperature at night was in the 30s. While Carnival was somewhat apologetic in their e-mail, it does not appear Carnival intends to actually disclose the lack of heat. This is not that the heat was broken. Nope. The exterior cabins, including ours with a balcony, simply do not have heat. You won't find that on the Carnival site. Temperature in our cabin dipped to high 50s at night. On the other hand, we had a very warm comforter.

We had service issues in the dining rooms. One issue was getting wine opened before food was served. On two nights our wine was not opened until dinner was served. On the third night, after complaining to guest services and the maitre d, our wine was opened after we had our appetizer. And after the maitre d promised to get it opened when we sat down. We had similar service issues at breakfast and lunch. Carnival's response: we'll discuss it with the department heads, which, I suppose, is that they will discuss it with the same maitre d and guest services people who already couldn't solve a problem. I don't understand it. The sooner we begin drinking the sooner we might order more. What's the point of waiting? Other than bad service. After all, Carnival charges a corkage fee for the wine we brought. (I persuaded guest services that there was zero possibility that I would pay any corkage fee for opening wine during dinner that is on the table before our order was taken.)

We had an issue with the cruise director, who managed to annoy about one-third of the audience for the "Marriage Game" by having 100 or more people line up during the show to buy bingo tickets from the stage while the Marriage Game was still going on, on the stage. Guest services was brought in by others, not me, who were upset by the trashing of one show for the benefit of bingo. When I spoke to the cruise director, he said that bingo had to start on time no matter what disruption occured to other entertainment. He said it produced revenue for Carnival, so Carnival would do nothing to disrupt it. He was remarkably candid. Carnival's solution: they'll talk to the department head, which I suppose means they'll talk to the cruise director about his choice of favoring the revenue generating show over the free entertainment. I get it. I do. Money-making activities take precedence, even if it means trashing another scheduled activity.

Last (for this posting), I noted the couple who occupied a Jacuzzi all to themselves and were "busy." (Cruise Critic is a family site. Use your imagination.) Carnival personnel wandered by but did nothing. I suppose I should appreciate the free show, but I really don't think one couple should get to monopolize one Jacuzzi. Carnival's response: there was no response. They just ignored this comment in our letter.

Don't get me wrong. We had a good cruise despite Carnival because the whole family got together. Would we do it again? Absolutely. Just not on Carnival. The lack of service was incredible, up to and including the five months it took to get a response to our letter.

What did I expect from Carnival? Carnival could say that they have noted on the website that the outside cabins are not heated. Carnival could say that the wait staff has been directed to open wine first, before taking orders, because the sooner guests finish the first bottle or two, the sooner they will order more, and Carnival will make more money. Carnival could have said that in the future the staff will sell bingo cards elsewhere (in the lobby, for example) when another show is still in progress. And last, Carnival could say that in the future when the crew finds a couple who are "busy" in a public place they will suggest that those folks get a room.

But Carnival said none of those things.

Carnival's standard response at issues like yours is usually a canned apology letter with a certain percentage off a future cruise. I don't think you'll get the personal type of response that you were hoping for, specifically addressing your issues or what's being done to rectify them.

The best customer service response I've ever received from Carnival has been when the issues I've had have been addressed while still on the ship. Unfortunately, once you get off the ship, your complaints just become another letter headed for the circular file.

Do they have heat in the cabins. I have only cruised to hot destinations so didnt have the chance to find out.

There is a reason came in last in customer service in that latest poll by jd powers.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Carnival's standard response at issues like yours is usually a canned apology letter with a certain percentage off a future cruise. I don't think you'll get the personal type of response that you were hoping for, specifically addressing your issues or what's being done to rectify them.

The best customer service response I've ever received from Carnival has been when the issues I've had have been addressed while still on the ship. Unfortunately, once you get off the ship, your complaints just become another letter headed for the circular file.

Definitely canned responses. No offer of any discount or OBC, but I did not ask for any such adjustment. To me, I would rather hear that they solved a problem.

We did get the corkage fees removed. For the three cabins I paid for, we removed the "mandatory" tips. I tipped the steward appropriately and we gave a tip to the waiter and bus boy, because despite the wine problem service was such that I would have tipped something on land. We were distressed that dinner could never be completed in time to get to a show before it began, despite telling the waiter of our schedule. I assume this was not his personal fault, but was impacted by how the kitchen ran.

Do they have heat in the cabins. I have only cruised to hot destinations so didnt have the chance to find out.

There is a reason came in last in customer service in that latest poll by jd powers.

Bill

No heat in the exterior cabins. The interior cabins were fine. The exterior cabins have air conditioning, and if we set the thermostat to its warmest level we still got cool air coming into the room. The ship simply was not designed to be cruising in 35 degree weather. It's a mid 1990s ship that appears much older. There are only about 28 cabins with balconies, for example.

Our review of our January three day cruise from Long Beach to Esenada is in the ship review section under Carnival Inspiration. It's a booze cruise. We were under no illusions about that. Other than one child, the other ten of us drink. We brought wine on board (within Carnival's limits) and bought other alcohol.

We wrote to Carnival in January concerning our experience. When we did not get a reply we called. I finally sent a followup letter in June, to which I received an e-mail response. So it only took 5 months. My guess is that customer service was busy.

We had no heat in our cabin, indeed there isn't any heat in any exterior cabin. The outside temperature at night was in the 30s. While Carnival was somewhat apologetic in their e-mail, it does not appear Carnival intends to actually disclose the lack of heat. This is not that the heat was broken. Nope. The exterior cabins, including ours with a balcony, simply do not have heat. You won't find that on the Carnival site. Temperature in our cabin dipped to high 50s at night. On the other hand, we had a very warm comforter.

We had service issues in the dining rooms. One issue was getting wine opened before food was served. On two nights our wine was not opened until dinner was served. On the third night, after complaining to guest services and the maitre d, our wine was opened after we had our appetizer. And after the maitre d promised to get it opened when we sat down. We had similar service issues at breakfast and lunch. Carnival's response: we'll discuss it with the department heads, which, I suppose, is that they will discuss it with the same maitre d and guest services people who already couldn't solve a problem. I don't understand it. The sooner we begin drinking the sooner we might order more. What's the point of waiting? Other than bad service. After all, Carnival charges a corkage fee for the wine we brought. (I persuaded guest services that there was zero possibility that I would pay any corkage fee for opening wine during dinner that is on the table before our order was taken.)

We had an issue with the cruise director, who managed to annoy about one-third of the audience for the "Marriage Game" by having 100 or more people line up during the show to buy bingo tickets from the stage while the Marriage Game was still going on, on the stage. Guest services was brought in by others, not me, who were upset by the trashing of one show for the benefit of bingo. When I spoke to the cruise director, he said that bingo had to start on time no matter what disruption occured to other entertainment. He said it produced revenue for Carnival, so Carnival would do nothing to disrupt it. He was remarkably candid. Carnival's solution: they'll talk to the department head, which I suppose means they'll talk to the cruise director about his choice of favoring the revenue generating show over the free entertainment. I get it. I do. Money-making activities take precedence, even if it means trashing another scheduled activity.

Last (for this posting), I noted the couple who occupied a Jacuzzi all to themselves and were "busy." (Cruise Critic is a family site. Use your imagination.) Carnival personnel wandered by but did nothing. I suppose I should appreciate the free show, but I really don't think one couple should get to monopolize one Jacuzzi. Carnival's response: there was no response. They just ignored this comment in our letter.

Don't get me wrong. We had a good cruise despite Carnival because the whole family got together. Would we do it again? Absolutely. Just not on Carnival. The lack of service was incredible, up to and including the five months it took to get a response to our letter.

What did I expect from Carnival? Carnival could say that they have noted on the website that the outside cabins are not heated. Carnival could say that the wait staff has been directed to open wine first, before taking orders, because the sooner guests finish the first bottle or two, the sooner they will order more, and Carnival will make more money. Carnival could have said that in the future the staff will sell bingo cards elsewhere (in the lobby, for example) when another show is still in progress. And last, Carnival could say that in the future when the crew finds a couple who are "busy" in a public place they will suggest that those folks get a room.

But Carnival said none of those things.

I'm confused...what was the issue with the wine? Opened too soon, too late?

I'm confused...what was the issue with the wine? Opened too soon, too late?

The wine was opened too late. I prefer my wine shortly after I sit down, just like in any shore side restaurant. For two nights, despite requests, we ordered food, had our appetizer and salad courses, had dinner served, and then the wine was opened. Frustrating to us and counter-productive for Carnival. On the third night, after complaining to guest services which contacted the maitre d, and after getting a promise from the maitre d that our wine would be opened immediately, we ordered, then our appetizer was served, and then the wine was opened.

The wine was opened too late. I prefer my wine shortly after I sit down, just like in any shore side restaurant. For two nights, despite requests, we ordered food, had our appetizer and salad courses, had dinner served, and then the wine was opened. Frustrating to us and counter-productive for Carnival. On the third night, after complaining to guest services which contacted the maitre d, and after getting a promise from the maitre d that our wine would be opened immediately, we ordered, then our appetizer was served, and then the wine was opened.

Thanks for clarifying. I have always been poured while looking at the menus.

You mentioned you removed the auto tips. Did you tip the waiter staff each night?

Stupid question can u not open the wine yourself? Or asked the waiter to when he took the drink orders?

If I caught someone gettn busy in the hot tub just got get n beside them... Maybe they needed a 3rd person...

The heat prolly wasn't on they don't have a unit for each room the t stat in the room opens / closes the vent in your room to allow more or less air in... If heat not on you are crap out of luck

Happy sailings maybe u should contact John heald on Facebook

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One resolution may be to open it yourself. I always carry a small opener in my purse and when we have started to open it ourselves (which is no big deal), the waiter rushes over and takes care of it, not that big of a deal, we don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks for clarifying. I have always been poured while looking at the menus.

You mentioned you removed the auto tips. Did you tip the waiter staff each night?

We removed the "mandatory" tips on the last afternoon, having decided we had had enough of the lack of service. If I recall correctly, the issue that day was my son ordered French fries in the dining room for lunch. (We ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room because we could, with some effort, get a table for our group of 11. Not that the staff did not resist our request for a large table each time we asked.) The fries did not come. Multiple requests. Finally my son went to the buffet, got a plate of fries, and brought them back to the dining room. The maitre d chastised me saying that we could not bring food into the dining room. I suggested he solve the problem, and he reported that the fries my son had ordered would be coming out soon. (Mind you, my son had the time to go to the buffet and return.) When he wanted to chastise me more about bringing food into the dining room, I told him to throw me out, and that if he worked for me I would have fired him for total lack of service. He went away.

While on line at guest services, others were removing the "mandatory" tips, and each person had an explanation (like room never made up, room smelled, etc.).

I then tipped the waiter and bus boy that night, which was our last night. On shore, I would have tipped about 10% given the service issues we had, so I tipped accordingly.

Wow that sucks. I would be annoyed about the bingo thing/wine. I dont really use the hot tubs. I hope you enjoy your future cruises with your family.

Stupid question can u not open the wine yourself? Or asked the waiter to when he took the drink orders?

If I caught someone gettn busy in the hot tub just got get n beside them... Maybe they needed a 3rd person...

The heat prolly wasn't on they don't have a unit for each room the t stat in the room opens / closes the vent in your room to allow more or less air in... If heat not on you are crap out of luck

Happy sailings maybe u should contact John heald on Facebook

Open the wine ourselves? We tried. We were stopped. The first night we had a bottle of champagne to start. Easier to open. We were stopped.

I used to carry a corkscrew as part of a Swiss Army knife, but after 9/11 I stopped carrying it along. In 1999, our American Airlines flight from LAX to Paris took off and then the crew discovered they had no corkscrew. I lent them mine for the duration of the flight.

As to the heat in the room, we were told by guest services that there is no heat in the exterior cabins. Not that it was broken. There is no heat. The ship was not designed that way.

Open the wine ourselves? We tried. We were stopped. The first night we had a bottle of champagne to start. Easier to open. We were stopped.

And then didn't they take care of it immediately when they saw what you were doing? We've only done that once or twice, they saw us, rushed in to open the bottles and we never had a problem the rest of those cruises.

p

That was my first thought.. they don't have heat in cabins on Carnival.

I know quantum out of NJ is advertising it has heated cabins, which makes me think most cruise ships do not.

Ive never had heat in my cabin, and we have been on some near freezing cruises for the first morning out of a port. I think it was raining and 42 degrees.

Another cruise the poor bartenders up on Lido looked frozen to death. They were all wrapped in blankets and I felt so bad for them. I just did indoor activities, but Ive never seen heated cabins... not on other lines either.

That was my first thought.. they don't have heat in cabins on Carnival.

The Inspiration only has a vent to control the amount of air into the cabin. It is usually cold air. We normally close it until it is almost closed.

The Spirit class has a thermostat where you can control the heat/cold.

OP - I would have said something to the Maitre d' about the wine not being opened at the beginning of service.

About the bingo - I totally agree with you about it being disruptive.

Some never get a response from Carnival, much less a percentage off a future cruise. If you do get an answer ,you would think the word Sorry was in the training process :eek:

Bill

Last with an 81% satisfaction rate (while Disney came in first at 87%).

I seem to recall using the heat on the Pride in October at night but am not 100% sure.

In regards to the wine issue, I'm assuming it was the bottles you carried on. We open the bottle in our room before we go to dinner-problem solved. Plus, most of the time, we avoid the corkage fee. Not saying it was right the way they handled it!!

Pat

We removed the "mandatory" tips on the last afternoon, having decided we had had enough of the lack of service. If I recall correctly, the issue that day was my son ordered French fries in the dining room for lunch. (We ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room because we could, with some effort, get a table for our group of 11. Not that the staff did not resist our request for a large table each time we asked.) The fries did not come. Multiple requests. Finally my son went to the buffet, got a plate of fries, and brought them back to the dining room. The maitre d chastised me saying that we could not bring food into the dining room. I suggested he solve the problem, and he reported that the fries my son had ordered would be coming out soon. (Mind you, my son had the time to go to the buffet and return.) When he wanted to chastise me more about bringing food into the dining room, I told him to throw me out, and that if he worked for me I would have fired him for total lack of service. He went away.

While on line at guest services, others were removing the "mandatory" tips, and each person had an explanation (like room never made up, room smelled, etc.).

I then tipped the waiter and bus boy that night, which was our last night. On shore, I would have tipped about 10% given the service issues we had, so I tipped accordingly.

Now you lost me..there is no "bus boy". There is a Waiter and Assistant Waiters.

Threatening anyone is just wrong.

I didn't see you mention tipping your Cabin Stewards..or did they lose because the ship builders did not install heaters in cabins? Did you ever see one?

Every last sea day is a line of folks demanding to have tips removed, most with a nonsense excuse. I have seen "neighbors" who run the cabin stewards ragged and complain they never saw them. I have seen the "obnoxious" drunk demanding his tips be removed because he could never get a *&&^^&( drink. I have seen tables at dinner start talking about checking their accounts, decide to go down to Guest Services and reduce the one charge they could with them all sharing an excuse..”we do this all the time”...

Now you lost me..there is no "bus boy". There is a Waiter and Assistant Waiters.

Threatening anyone is just wrong.

I didn't see you mention tipping your Cabin Stewards..or did they lose because the ship builders did not install heaters in cabins? Did you ever see one?

Every last sea day is a line of folks demanding to have tips removed, most with a nonsense excuse. I have seen "neighbors" who run the cabin stewards ragged and complain they never saw them. I have seen the "obnoxious" drunk demanding his tips be removed because he could never get a *&&^^&( drink. I have seen tables at dinner start talking about checking their accounts, decide to go down to Guest Services and reduce the one charge they could with them all sharing an excuse..”we do this all the time”...

An assistant waiter is a bus boy. Doesn't matter what label you put on it.

We tipped our steward the full recommended amount in cash. However, as I recall we could not get amenities replaced because he had no access to more. We used our balcony room for our group to get together, so we ran out of soap. Not the steward's fault he can't access more.

I'm sorry if you don't like my response to the maître d. I got threatened by the bingo staff that they would call security (which I encouraged them to do). The maître d was wrong for running a restaurant which could not deliver French fries to my son, but thought the right answer was to tell us not to bring food in. If he worked for me he would have been counseled. If it happened again, fired. Our experience with several maître ds on this cruise was that the inattention to service is ingrained. I left off incidents with the inability to deliver tea (I drink Lipton, Farmers Brothers or any English Breakfast) and the inability to refill coffee one morning at breakfast.

I'm sorry you had such a bad cruise. I'm sure you'll be pleased cruising a different line.

As you can see, we cruised RCI next. My review is under Navigator for April 2013. Next year, we are on AMA Waterways. As customers, we get to vote with our feet.

Archived