Comparing Frequent Pax Benefits across lines

TiogaCruiser

Our last cruise was only our second on RCI. We booked our usual balcony gty.

What surprised us was RCI recognized our Celebrity status and made us Diamond Club. There was the usual fluff but what we liked...

-a $200 discount on our cabin

-we were each given 60 minutes of Internet time

-access to Diamond lounge. This had breakfast in the AM, concierge service, and pre dinner drinks, appetizers in the lounge at night. Good choice on house reds. The Concierge was excellent.

-we each had three complementary drinks per day loaded onto or cards. They could be used at any bar on the ship between 5 and 8PM.

Nice!

Do you mean you get the Diamond Lounge with pre-dinner drinks AND the 3 free drinks loaded on your cards each night?

Nice!

Do you mean you get the Diamond Lounge with pre-dinner drinks AND the 3 free drinks loaded on your cards each night?

We just took our first RCCL cruise and having elite status on Celebrity, we were able to go to Diamond Lounge for free drinks each night as well as get three free drinks at any bar before 8 PM each night. We could never drink that much but it was nice to have different options!

Kathy

Whoops--sorry. I misspoke (miswrote?). The increase is in minutes for the cruise length, not for status. Once you've earned Platinum, you get the minutes and they don't increase for Elite.

I must have been thinking of Azamara, where the minutes increase with status. Not sure if that applies to Royal and Celebrity's programs; there is some reciprocity among those three lines, but not with all aspects.

Darn, I was hoping I might get some more minutes. No biggie, anything free is good.

Yes, we had both. We could drink to our hearts content in the Diamond Lounge plus we had the three drinks a day from 5-8pm. Not that we did both in fact we very seldom had three drinks unless that grape was particularly good. We did try out the various bars on the ship.

Elite status is not a big deal on Celebrity. Probably 2 star Mariner but we do not keep track of it. Our Internet TA was great...she was the one who recognized the opportunity and called for our $200 discount.

Here is what surprised us. We have had priority boarding privileges several times on various lines but we have never used them. There has not been much of a line up any time we have boarded...on any cruise line. But on this RCi cruise we were moved from the Priority line, did not even know we were in it, to the regular line because it was empty. Some people ahead of us refused to move from the line. Not sure why other than they it may have made them feel privilaged to use the priority line.. As DW remarked...privileged to wait in line an extra five minutes!

Edited by iancal

Platinum status on Princess begins on one's 6th cruise or after 50 sailing days. Internet minutes increase at the Elite level and also increase depending on the length of the cruise.

It's a great benefit--I find it's just enough time to send a quick e-mail or two every other day and to scan the inbox for important messages.

And even that will become irrelevant as demand for free wifi takes over just as it has in hotels. Who would pay for wifi in a hotel these days?

I have done 11 cruises on HAL, and at this point get 25% off specialty coffee, wine packages, and specialty restaurants. Don't get any internet until 500 days. Then its only a 50% discount. I get around 11 other benefits that are worthless. I have taken 5 cruises on Princess, and on my next cruise get free internet and priority embarkation at Platinum level. I sent a nice letter to the Mariner society about the program and they did respond. The letter said the Mariner benefits are what the customers are requesting. A photo of the ship? A special recognition pin??? 15% off HAL clothing? Like others have said, I don't sail because of the perks, but rather the itinerary, price, etc. Just my thoughts

And even that will become irrelevant as demand for free wifi takes over just as it has in hotels. Who would pay for wifi in a hotel these days?

There are still quite a lot of hotels that you have to pay for Internet in the room. I'm always surprised when it's free.

I have done 11 cruises on HAL, and at this point get 25% off specialty coffee, wine packages, and specialty restaurants. Don't get any internet until 500 days. Then its only a 50% discount. I get around 11 other benefits that are worthless. I have taken 5 cruises on Princess, and on my next cruise get free internet and priority embarkation at Platinum level. I sent a nice letter to the Mariner society about the program and they did respond. The letter said the Mariner benefits are what the customers are requesting. A photo of the ship? A special recognition pin??? 15% off HAL clothing? Like others have said, I don't sail because of the perks, but rather the itinerary, price, etc. Just my thoughts

Don't you just love corporate spin :D....not?

Oceania's reward program provides frequent cruisers with up to $1000 OBC, pre-paid gratuities, a free cruise, complimentary spa treatments, free air deviations, cocktail reception, discounted internet packages, discounted shore excursions, and more at its top level.

You start earning $200 OBC at the 5 cruise credit level. The free cruise starts at the 20 cruise credit level.

A photo of the ship, a pin, a medal, a bottle of water, priority boarding, a card on our birthday, a magazine cum advertisement brochure, or 25points discount on a cup of coffee are all things that are completely meaningless and of zero value to us. RCI gave us a couple of those ten cent lapel pins. They went straight in our stateroom bin. Really, I do not know why they bother with the trinkets and trash.

Lots of cruise lines include some or all of them and talk it up as though it is a big deal or some sort of achievement. In my previous business we used to joke and say we would give anything away that did not cost us any money. I think some cruise lines follow the same mantra.

Edited by iancal

A photo of the ship, a pin, a medal, a bottle of water, priority boarding, a card on our birthday, a magazine cum advertisement brochure, or 25points discount on a cup of coffee are all things that are completely meaningless and of zero value to us. RCI gave us a couple of those ten cent lapel pins. They went straight in our stateroom bin. Really, I do not know why they bother with the trinkets and trash.

Lots of cruise lines include some or all of them and talk it up as though it is a big deal or some sort of achievement. In my previous business we used to joke and say we would give anything away that did not cost us any money. I think some cruise lines follow the same mantra.

I think a lot of companies follow that mantra:D.

Yes, we had both. We could drink to our hearts content in the Diamond Lounge plus we had the three drinks a day from 5-8pm. Not that we did both in fact we very seldom had three drinks unless that grape was particularly good. We did try out the various bars on the ship.

Elite status is not a big deal on Celebrity. Probably 2 star Mariner but we do not keep track of it. Our Internet TA was great...she was the one who recognized the opportunity and called for our $200 discount.

Here is what surprised us. We have had priority boarding privileges several times on various lines but we have never used them. There has not been much of a line up any time we have boarded...on any cruise line. But on this RCi cruise we were moved from the Priority line, did not even know we were in it, to the regular line because it was empty. Some people ahead of us refused to move from the line. Not sure why other than they it may have made them feel privilaged to use the priority line.. As DW remarked...privileged to wait in line an extra five minutes!

iancal and kreemmer

Thanks for clarifying that! What a deal! Like both of you, we would never drink even half of what is possible, but it is nice to have a choice!

I can see on a ship where a lot of pax qualify for this, the Diamond Lounge could be quite full. So, you could just hit the other bars. This is smart on RCI and X's part and very sincerely thought out.

I am shocked that RCI and X have such a good perk at such a moderate level. That is an eye opener for me. Good for them!

Hard to compare the rewards on the lines overall. Depends on what you would actually use, of course. HAL has some good rewards, especially a the 5 star level. seems the other lines start with better rewards sooner.

Edited by SilvertoGold

iancal and kreemmer

Thanks for clarifying that! What a deal! Like both of you, we would never drink even half of what is possible, but it is nice to have a choice!

I can see on a ship where a lot of pax qualify for this, the Diamond Lounge could be quite full. So, you could just hit the other bars. This is smart on RCI and X's part and very sincerely thought out.

I am shocked that RCI and X have such a good perk at such a moderate level. That is an eye opener for me. Good for them!

Hard to compare the rewards on the lines overall. Depends on what you would actually use, of course. HAL has some good rewards, especially a the 5 star level. seems the other lines start with better rewards sooner.

See that perk doesn't do much for me even though I'm a wine drinker and do have a cocktail.

iancal and kreemmer

We were on a repo on RCI in November -- there were a lot of Diamond and up. Even with the vouchers that could be used in any bar, the Diamond Lounge was very crowded. After a couple of evenings they opened an additional large lounge from 4:30 to 6:30 --- that took the pressure off an the regular lounge was very nice after that. (this cruise the hours were 4:30 to 8:00 - later seating time) A lot of people left the lounge with full glasses of wine for dinner -- I would ask our server to "dinner size" the pour :D

It is an awesome perk if you're a drinker.

We're 3* on HAL after 42 nights in 4 trips and haven't really felt any benefit with the so-called perks. However, on Cunard we're Gold after 3 trips amounting to 16 nights and on our last trip got 100 minutes free internet each - to us, a perk worth having.

Edited by Mumsysailor

We're 3* on HAL after 42 nights in 4 trips and haven't really felt any benefit with the so-called perks. However, on Cunard we're Gold after 3 trips amounting to 16 nights and on our last trip got 100 minutes free internet each - to us, a perk worth having.

I can see your point, definitely. It is all in what you want.

I would choose the 25% off Pinnacle, Caneletto and Explorations Cafe and wine packages over free internet. For us that would add up to more than the cost of 100 minutes internet.

We were on a repo on RCI in November -- there were a lot of Diamond and up. Even with the vouchers that could be used in any bar, the Diamond Lounge was very crowded. After a couple of evenings they opened an additional large lounge from 4:30 to 6:30 --- that took the pressure off an the regular lounge was very nice after that. (this cruise the hours were 4:30 to 8:00 - later seating time) A lot of people left the lounge with full glasses of wine for dinner -- I would ask our server to "dinner size" the pour :D

It is an awesome perk if you're a drinker.

Thanks for the description of your experience. RCI does a great very smart and sincere job of this!! Very impressive.

I really can't see HAL acting so graciously, as much as I hate to say that, but not based on my experiences the last few years on a wide variety of HAL ships.

What we liked best about the Diamond lounge was breakfast. Fruit, croissants, cheese,wfresh OJ, and most especially a few caps with double shots of expresso. And it was typically very quiet.

Having said this,we certainly do not select cruises based on their respective reward programs. It would be a factor if all other things were equal...which has never been the case.

Edited by iancal

What we liked best about the Diamond lounge was breakfast. Fruit, croissants, cheese,wfresh OJ, and most especially a few caps with double shots of expresso. And it was typically very quiet.

Having said this,we certainly do not select cruises based on their respective reward programs. It would be a factor if all other things were equal...which has never been the case.

Very nice breakfast! Did someone mention complimentary mimosas?

Nice!

As noted, yes!!!:)

Without a doubt, I believe RCI has the best loyalty perks. Celebrity topped my list right up until the recent elimination of the nightly Elite benefit in Michael's Club. RCI with it's Diamond and Concierge Lounges and all the benefits that come with them, which is a lot more than just alcohol, is what tops my list now. And the fact RCI and Celebrity reciprocate one another is just an added bonus. I wish Carnival Corp lines would do it.

As noted, yes!!!:)

Without a doubt, I believe RCI has the best loyalty perks. Celebrity topped my list right up until the recent elimination of the nightly Elite benefit in Michael's Club. RCI with it's Diamond and Concierge Lounges and all the benefits that come with them, which is a lot more than just alcohol, is what tops my list now. And the fact RCI and Celebrity reciprocate one another is just an added bonus. I wish Carnival Corp lines would do it.

Thanks for your post!

RCI does sound very generous in perks.

I am wondering about laundry: is it free at a certain level?

Also, at any level do you receive a percentage off specialty dining or at the equivalent of HAL's Explorations Cafe??

Celebrity topped my list right up until the recent elimination of the nightly Elite benefit in Michael's Club.

But they did change the venue when Michael's Club was repurposed as a full-time lounge for upper level suite guests [Celebrity Suite or higher] and Zenith members of The Captain's Club last year...

Fact is, Michael's Club had never been the only potential venue for the evening cocktail get-together before the recent change... Michael's tended to be used if the number of Elite and higher Captain's Club members aboard could be comfortably accommodated there... But if the group of potential attendees exceeded the capacity of Michael's Club [as, in my experience, it often did], the cocktail event would instead be staged in Sky Lounge...

On some sailings [particularly repositioning cruises; I've been aboard when more than 800 guests were eligible to attend the Captain's Club cocktail event], even the capacity of Sky Lounge--the largest venue on Celebrity's ships--has been insufficient... In those cases, eligible Captain's Club members are provided with three drink vouchers nightly that can be redeemed--during the same hours and using the same drinks menu--at just about any bar [sky Lounge is included; the Martini Bar and (on Solstice-Class ships) Molecular Bar are excluded] to alleviate overcrowding... Some guests actually prefer the voucher approach as it provides greater latitude to those who want to enjoy pre-dinner drinks with friends ineligible for the benefit... And as I understand it, Royal Caribbean is now experimenting with the same approach to alleviate overcrowding in their Diamond/Concierge Lounges [but are loading the three drink daily allotment--admittedly, there are no limits as to number of drinks consumed in the lounges on either line--to one's Sea Pass for electronic redemption rather than using paper vouchers]...

Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society and Celebrity's Captain's Club both--to my mind--offer very generous loyalty benefits but they do differ... At my membership level and given my cruise history [Elite + on Celebrity reciprocal to Discoverer + on Azamara (those two lines cross-accumulate Cruise Points) and--on a membership tier transfer basis--Diamond on Royal] and given things I most value, I prefer the Celebrity goodies... Your mileage may, of course, vary... But if you haven't looked at and assessed Celebrity's loyalty benefits in the context of your own cruise history since Captain's Club was redesigned in November 2013, you might want to consider doing so...