Sandwiches from ship to shore?

limoncello07

Hi all: First-time cruiser here, scheduled on a 7-day RT from Seattle (Ruby Princess) later this summer. We have a busy day planned for our first port stop (Ketchican). We will have about a 40-minute break between excursions (both vendors are aware), but will be outside the center of town and not near any lunch venues. I had originally been thinking we would bring sandwiches from the ship with us, but after spending some time on other areas of Cruise Critic I am getting the impression this may be prohibited due to food safety/agricultural concerns, even though the ship is departing from the U.S. Can anyone clarify? My search of the CBP website is only turning up information about bringing food into the US from foreign countries. And it seems as though food on the ship would have been loaded in Seattle (or Juneau, the other long stop), where it would have already had to pass inspection requirements for "entering the U.S.". Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

It has been done, but rules usually are sealed packaged foods only (protein bars,pretzels,candy etc.) It is for protection of the agriculture I believe. However side note if going to Mendenhall Visitor area for any excursion on its page clearly states due to bears NO food or drink to be brought outside the visitor center.

I know it s not answer about Canada but you are ding off a US ship with its rules. Same applies when disembarking at end of cruise no plants,nuts,fruit regardless if came from ship. It will be in debarking instructions.

It has been done, but rules usually are sealed packaged foods only (protein bars,pretzels,candy etc.) It is for protection of the agriculture I believe. However side note if going to Mendenhall Visitor area for any excursion on its page clearly states due to bears NO food or drink to be brought outside the visitor center.

I know it s not answer about Canada but you are ding off a US ship with its rules. Same applies when disembarking at end of cruise no plants,nuts,fruit regardless if came from ship. It will be in debarking instructions.

So if I bring snacks with me (packaged) and we don't eat all the snacks I can't take them home with me? I need to trash them?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

No, I think everyone is saying that prepackaged (and unopened) food is not a source of concern. But fresh food items served on the ship would be.

I'd love to know what the source of the rule is, if anyone knows. Is it a US government rule that applies to all cruise ships, no matter the itinerary? Or is it a ship-imposed rule? Clearly I could take a sandwich from Seattle to Ketchikan via airplane without causing anyone concern, so I'm curious about the logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is more to the "packaged" food issue. You do NOT want to bring a load of packaged food, eg Mendenhall, or if you are hiking. Bears have a keen sense of smell and it's very naive thinking, considering packaged food is going to be just fine. It isn't. So plan on consuming everything you bring before even getting to these activities.

There is more to the "packaged" food issue. You do NOT want to bring a load of packaged food, eg Mendenhall, or if you are hiking. Bears have a keen sense of smell and it's very naive thinking, considering packaged food is going to be just fine. It isn't. So plan on consuming everything you bring before even getting to these activities.

We are renting a mini van (cheaper than excursion fo six of us) any idea if okay to park it at Mendenhall visitor center with say protein bars? Otherwise will eat a hearty breakfast and off we go until return.

Any Alaska natives or hikers here with experience?

We are renting a mini van (cheaper than excursion fo six of us) any idea if okay to park it at Mendenhall visitor center with say protein bars? Otherwise will eat a hearty breakfast and off we go until return.

you won't see any bears in the parking lots. At Mendenhall they are nonstop action with cars in/out along with numerous numbers of shuttle buses and hundreds of people.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks all for the information. I'm aware that food of any type will be restricted at various sites on shore; I'm just focused on the question of whether food from the ship can be taken off the ship while in Alaska.

Thank you VennDiagram for pointing me toward the USDA as the source of the rule. For others who may be interested, I think I found the applicable applicable rule and specific regulation, and they are complicated! This is my understanding in a nutshell:

-- both fresh food prepared on the ship and food waste are considered "garbage" (!);

-- in principle, garbage from the United States and Canada can be brought into the United States

-- one exception is that if your cruise ship has been in a foreign location other than Canada anytime during the past two years (which applies to my ship and probably many others), garbage (i.e., food) prepared on the ship is considered to be "regulated garbage," and subject to similar rules as would apply to garbage from other foreign countries

-- there is an exception to the exception: if an inspector certifies that your ship has been cleared of foreign garbage, and that it has been appropriately disinfected once in the United States, and your itinerary does not include any other foreign port stops (apart from Canada), its garbage is no longer "regulated garbage" and could be brought off the ship.

This is speculation on my part, but I am guessing that most major cruiselines (1) don't want to go through the hassle of the additional inspection and certification described above; and even if they do (2) it's logistically easier for them to apply one rule to all of their cruises -- ie. don't take food off the ship -- than to differentiate between foreign itineraries where this rule applies and US/Canadian itineraries where it may not. I will double-check my contract to see what if anything Princess actually says though.

In any event, for our own personal situation, I'm now thinking that since Ketchikan is our first port stop, and unless I find a better option near the pier, I will stock up on some packaged fresh food from Seattle (e.g. sandwiches in plastic wrap with a couple of days's shelf life), store them in our stateroom refrigerator, and bring them off the ship in Ketchikan -- along with a receipt showing they were purchased in Seattle, on the off chance anyone from the cruise ship inspects our bags and asks. If that happens, I'll report back how it goes!

Thanks all for the information. I'm aware that food of any type will be restricted at various sites on shore; I'm just focused on the question of whether food from the ship can be taken off the ship while in Alaska.

Thank you VennDiagram for pointing me toward the USDA as the source of the rule. For others who may be interested, I think I found the applicable applicable rule and specific regulation, and they are complicated! This is my understanding in a nutshell:

-- both fresh food prepared on the ship and food waste are considered "garbage" (!);

-- in principle, garbage from the United States and Canada can be brought into the United States

-- one exception is that if your cruise ship has been in a foreign location other than Canada anytime during the past two years (which applies to my ship and probably many others), garbage (i.e., food) prepared on the ship is considered to be "regulated garbage," and subject to similar rules as would apply to garbage from other foreign countries

-- there is an exception to the exception: if an inspector certifies that your ship has been cleared of foreign garbage, and that it has been appropriately disinfected once in the United States, and your itinerary does not include any other foreign port stops (apart from Canada), its garbage is no longer "regulated garbage" and could be brought off the ship.

This is speculation on my part, but I am guessing that most major cruiselines (1) don't want to go through the hassle of the additional inspection and certification described above; and even if they do (2) it's logistically easier for them to apply one rule to all of their cruises -- ie. don't take food off the ship -- than to differentiate between foreign itineraries where this rule applies and US/Canadian itineraries where it may not. I will double-check my contract to see what if anything Princess actually says though.

In any event, for our own personal situation, I'm now thinking that since Ketchikan is our first port stop, and unless I find a better option near the pier, I will stock up on some packaged fresh food from Seattle (e.g. sandwiches in plastic wrap with a couple of days's shelf life), store them in our stateroom refrigerator, and bring them off the ship in Ketchikan -- along with a receipt showing they were purchased in Seattle, on the off chance anyone from the cruise ship inspects our bags and asks. If that happens, I'll report back how it goes!

Unfortunately, your plan will not work. Once the sandwich is brought onto the ship, it cannot be brought back off. Same thing for flowers. Its common for people to buy flowers in Seattle for their stateroom. However, once brought onboard, they can't be brought back off. Your best bet is to just buy some prepackaged meal bars (protein bars) or something like that and bring those. Or, when you get off the ship, before your first excursion, stop and get something.

Nope, you can't bring any food off the ship - PERIOD!! No sandwiches, fruit etc. The only food you can bring off the ship is prepackaged things like Granola bars, candy, peanuts etc.

LOL. I know exactly where you were going with this, but do realize that your statement boils down to:

You can't take any XYZ. The only XYZ you can take is ABC.

Alas, I have nothing else to add to this thread. I bring an assortment of bars and such, all pre-packaged, for our time-crunched excursions and my normal insistence on eating (something that my doctor would say I'm proud of...).

Ya know something? I go on vacations to enjoy myself. I don't want a bunch of stress, and thus I prefer to minimize the risk of hassle or complications. Look up all the regulations you want, but if the guy at the pier says otherwise you're stuck.

It's so very easy to pack a few Clif / Kind / protein bars or other simple shelf-stable foods that it's simply not worth worrying about. Make time to have a solid hearty breakfast as well, and while you're at it walk through the Lido deck and grab a couple of the individual cereal boxes if you fear you don't have enough.

I will stock up on some packaged fresh food from Seattle (e.g. sandwiches in plastic wrap with a couple of days's shelf life), store them in our stateroom refrigerator, and bring them off the ship in Ketchikan

They would have to be commercially sealed, not just wrapped in plastic. If a bit of plastic wrap was enough to get around the rule, you could just take a roll along and wrap anything you want from the ship. The rule is that it needs to be "prepackaged"- meaning commercially sealed, like granola bars. I suppose those "Lunchable" or "Uncrustable" things might qualify, but I don't consider those to be real "food". :eek:

My suggestion is to get up early and eat a big breakfast, take some bars (I like Kind bars!) with you for snacks, and then eat a big lunch when you get back on ship. Your ship is only in port until 3, so you will likely be back on board around 2. You won't starve to death. ;)

This question gets asked a lot and I think your stressing this out just a little too much. If you want to buy some prepacked lunch items in Seattle do it. If you want to bring some foil and sandwiches bags that’s up to you, wink wink. I don’t think you’re going to starve to death in less 12 hours. Are you going to be searched getting off the ship in Ketchikan, I highly doubt it. Just let your conscience be your guide. The Walmart in Ketchikan opens at 7:00am, maybe you can get the tour operator to stop.

No you can not do this. You think- a "receipt" is going to make any difference? What you are totally missing- is the cruise ship is NOT registered in the US, and is foreign registered. Every time you go on an off the ship- it's like entering/exiting a foreign country.

Edited by Budget Queen

They would have to be commercially sealed, not just wrapped in plastic. If a bit of plastic wrap was enough to get around the rule, you could just take a roll along and wrap anything you want from the ship. The rule is that it needs to be "prepackaged"- meaning commercially sealed, like granola bars. I suppose those "Lunchable" or "Uncrustable" things might qualify, but I don't consider those to be real "food". :eek:

My suggestion is to get up early and eat a big breakfast, take some bars (I like Kind bars!) with you for snacks, and then eat a big lunch when you get back on ship. Your ship is only in port until 3, so you will likely be back on board around 2. You won't starve to death. ;)

Commercially sealed sandwiches, or not- meats and perhaps cheese aren't allowed anyway.

Edited by Budget Queen

This question gets asked a lot and I think your stressing this out just a little too much. If you want to buy some prepacked lunch items in Seattle do it. If you want to bring some foil and sandwiches bags that’s up to you, wink wink. I don’t think you’re going to starve to death in less 12 hours. Are you going to be searched getting off the ship in Ketchikan, I highly doubt it. Just let your conscience be your guide. The Walmart in Ketchikan opens at 7:00am, maybe you can get the tour operator to stop.

Last year I did see a family, get stopped and their bag of buffet food, (in baggies) hauled out, and likely dumped. (I moved through the line, with the - dump assumption made on my part). This was in Juneau.

Thanks all. I'm not actually stressed about this, just seeking information so we can be best prepared to enjoy the day, in the same way we're planning to bring appropriate footwear, raingear, etc. We're going ziplining in the morning, followed by several hours of hiking, with the small break in between the two activities. While I agree we're unlikely to starve to death between 7:30 and 2:00, I want to make sure we are appropriately fueled for a very active day. I researched and posted the regulation because I was curious about the basis for the "no food" rule that everyone mentions, and thought others might be as well. I can't get the quote feature to work here (now THAT's stressful, lol), but I am aware this is a foreign-flagged vessel. While that fact has other legal effects it does not appear to be the basis for this particular agricultural prohibition, which turns instead on whether the ship has recently been outside the United States, and if so whether it has since been adequately disinfected and certified in the presence of an inspector.

You are not in some third world place. Stop at a grocery and get all the stuff you want. You can park at Mendenhall or any other place with any kind of food you want, just make sure you clean up properly when you are done. You can always eat in the car, and you are not limited to snack foods.

Thanks all. I'm not actually stressed about this, just seeking information so we can be best prepared to enjoy the day, in the same way we're planning to bring appropriate footwear, raingear, etc. We're going ziplining in the morning, followed by several hours of hiking, with the small break in between the two activities. While I agree we're unlikely to starve to death between 7:30 and 2:00, I want to make sure we are appropriately fueled for a very active day. I researched and posted the regulation because I was curious about the basis for the "no food" rule that everyone mentions, and thought others might be as well. I can't get the quote feature to work here (now THAT's stressful, lol), but I am aware this is a foreign-flagged vessel. While that fact has other legal effects it does not appear to be the basis for this particular agricultural prohibition, which turns instead on whether the ship has recently been outside the United States, and if so whether it has since been adequately disinfected and certified in the presence of an inspector.

Thanks for following through on the applicable regs. My Dad was in a job that included occasional import/export of agricultural products, I grew up with horror stories of careless destruction of region's economies due to accidental import of foreign diseases. In your case, if there is no time/place to stop before or after zip lining, suggest you contact the tour guy leading your afternoon hiking, ask him /her to buy you a sandwich...

To be honest, I didn't know about this rule but took a piece of fruit off the ship each day. As they don't do a bag search, unless they have sniffer dogs as you leave I don't see how it could be policed.

Are you familiar with Med fly several years ago?