Kona Coffee in Hawaii

The Wilkies

Hi

My SIL is a real coffee connoisseur and I wanted to bring back some Kona coffee for her when we go to Hawaii in April.

Anyone any idea where would be the place to buy some for her?

I have searched previous threads, but the only ones I found go back to 2005/2006. I know you can get blended types, but what do they taste like in comparison with the real thing?

Me, being true English, love my tea so its a bit lost on me.

Thanks for any advice.

No matter what you do, do not buy her the Kona blends, most of them have only a tiny percentage of Kona coffee in them making them not worth the extra cost. True 100% Kona coffee is the way to go. Many of the independent coffee houses in Hawaii sell 100% Kona coffee. In fact, even Starbucks in Hawaii often has their 100% Kona available.

This is where I pick up my coffee every time I visit the islands.

http://www.hawaiicoffeecompany.com/royal-kona-pure-kona/

Kona 100% Peaberry is the best you are going to ever get.

If you do not want to do an online order (or go to the shop), you can generally pick up good Kona Coffee from Longs (aka/CVS) on any of the islands. If you are lucky, you might even find them on sale.

Royal Coffee brand also has a 10% blend. Lions Coffee does not.

Every island has its own selection of "Kona" Coffee. Kona Coffee is specific to Kona. Just like Maui Onions and Maui Gold Pineapple are only grown on Maui. Since you are a tea drinker, you might not be able to tell the differences from each island. I can't. Maybe pick up a bag from all 4 islands? Just be sure that they are not blends, but the pure bean. Peaberry is the very best quality.

The absolute best place to buy Kona coffee is directly from one of the coffee farms that roast their own. If you dock (actually tender) in Kona, rent a car and drive about 20 minutes up the mountain side to the coffee growing area - there are many places to stop and sample and buy. Just be prepared for sticker shock - at least $30/pound is not uncommon for good quality pure Kona coffee. Pick up one of the island guides available for free in kiosks all over the port area and check the ads; you should see ads for some of the farms as well as information about which have won recent coffee awards at the annual tasting festivals.

If you don't have time or the inclination to do the coffee farm tours, you can buy 100% Kona coffee in any store on the Big Island - ABC stores, Long's Drugs, KTA, Walmart, etc. You won't get the same experience that you'll get from touring the farms, but it will be 100% Kona coffee and should suitably impress your SIL.

I agree with the above. Most of the coffee you see in the stores in Hawaii are blends, only 10% Kona, and are very inexpensive. Read the package carefully to make sure it says 100% Kona coffee. Often small coffee farmers will have a stand/booth in the Kona village, especially when a ship is in port. Be prepared to pay handsomely for 100% Kona coffee but it is worth the price IMO.

Im not sure why this post got moved to the Princess boards...perhaps it was a mistake???

At any rate, though we've never 'cruised' Hawaii, our most recent trip was last year. We did the coffee tours. They're great, however possibly time-prohibitive for those on a cruise. Kona Joe's is about an hour south of Kona and they do a personalized tour with anyone who asks. They have not only the 100% Kona coffee, but a Peabody that we REALLY like. It's a milder bean and works for those with reflux or other digestive issues....It's the only coffee I can drink without being miserable later.

To buy the 100% Kona is VERY expensive, but coffee connoisseurs will probably love it. However, I personally like Hilo coffee better..its' a little milder.

Just sample anything before you buy it. Most coffee tours/farms, etc. will have coffee samples in their stores. If not, then ask. :)

Edited by rgmacm

Hi

My SIL is a real coffee connoisseur and I wanted to bring back some Kona coffee for her when we go to Hawaii in April.

Anyone any idea where would be the place to buy some for her?

I have searched previous threads, but the only ones I found go back to 2005/2006. I know you can get blended types, but what do they taste like in comparison with the real thing?

Me, being true English, love my tea so its a bit lost on me.

Thanks for any advice.

My local provider. Java Coffee And Tea, does most of his coffee and tea business by mail. He roasts the beans on site insuring freshness.

http://www.javacoffee.com/Coffee/Rare-Fancy-Coffees/Hawaiian-Kona-1LB-p1825.html

You can look them up online. I think the farm is Cherry Hill Coffee in Kailua-Kona. Tom Belcastro is the owner of the farm. There is a store set up near the pier on on Alii Drive beside the Fish Hopper restaurant. We tried some samples. Tom gave us a deal on shipping and we bought lots of coffee as gifts and for ourselves. It was the best coffee we've ever had. I'm now trying to figure out if we can afford to get more shipped to us. :) I tried the peaberry at one of the farms we stopped at. My husband and I like bold coffee and we didn't like the peaberry, even though everyone says it's the best. Anyway, the coffee we got from Tom's store was the best we've ever had anywhere, so that gets my vote. We were just there in November of 2013.

I agree with other posts, beware of coffees that are blends. There is nothing wrong with the blends, inherently, but if you want to try a true Hawaiian product, be sure that if it is a blend, all the components are grown in Hawaii. However, like any product grown anywhere, just because a coffee is from Hawaii (or, in this case, Kona, even 100% Kona) it isn't necessarily fantastic! There are hundreds of farmers in Kona, not all of whom create amazing coffee.

If you have the time and wherewithal to visit a farm, that is a great way to discover a coffee. Moreover, creating a relationship with a farmer will make every cup of their coffee you drink taste great. That can be tough coming off a boat but there are other options.

From the pier, you can walk to several spots that sell Kona coffee: Kona Coffee & Tea (their new location), Kona Direct, Daylight Mind Coffee Company, Kona de Pele, Kona Coffee Outlet, and one more whose name I can't recall.

Those are a mix of cafes, restaurants, roasters, and we-just-sell-bagged coffee vendors. I suggest visiting as many of them as you can!

Have a great visit!

If you look around on any of the islands, you will be surprised to find Kona Coffee everywhere. If you visit the area of Kona where the coffee is grown, you start to wonder how one brand can be all that different from another since many of the plantations (small fields) are right next to each other.

In general, if you can get 100% Kona coffee, you will be safe with the kind of taste of the Kona reputation. It's not cheap, but we found the farther away we got from Kona, the cheaper it got. I always bring 100% Kona home with me for gifts, but I have myself more fond of Kaui Coffee. It's a has a strong flavor with less bite.

Burt

We did the Kona Coffee Plantation visits many, many years ago.

We must have stopped at about 6-8 plantations and tasted several coffees.

The best we found was from Ferrari Coffee Company. We have been ordering from them for many years now and they are wonderful to work with.

We order 6 pound at a time and they ship free. Just pop it in the freezer as use as needed. Keep the open bag in the freezer also. (We love our one cup of coffee in the morning)

They have specials at certain times of the year when they give a free 8 oz or 1 pound bag with your order.

It is PURE Kona and we order Regular Roast Whole Bean (nothing like they smell of the beans when we grind them)

Not cheap!! We have been paying $25.95 a pound.

Just google them Ferrari. They also have a coffee club...

Fine (100% Kona) coffee is like wine. Best to at least find a place in town that lets you sample what they sell. Or if you want to visit a plantation (many of which have tours and tastings), that's a nice side trip. We visited Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation during our Hawaii visit last year.

PS - don't buy Kona that has a dark (French-like) roast. That heavy a roast kills the delicate flavors of the bean. Stick with a medium roast!

We just returned from our Hawaiian cruise and after asking many people, we were told that the best deal on 100% Kona coffee is a the local Walmart in Hilo, so that's where we bought ours. Unfortunately, we didn't have a port stop in Kona so couldn't do the coffee plantation tours.

We just returned from our Hawaiian cruise and after asking many people, we were told that the best deal on 100% Kona coffee is a the local Walmart in Hilo, so that's where we bought ours. Unfortunately, we didn't have a port stop in Kona so couldn't do the coffee plantation tours.

I'm sorry, but given the "quality" of merchandise typically sold in Walmart, I have a hard time equating Walmart's "best deal" on 100% Kona with something that I'd want to drink and enjoy. If a company has enough quantity of beans to market through Walmart, they are a mass producer, and not a local grower.

I'm sorry, but given the "quality" of merchandise typically sold in Walmart, I have a hard time equating Walmart's "best deal" on 100% Kona with something that I'd want to drink and enjoy. If a company has enough quantity of beans to market through Walmart, they are a mass producer, and not a local grower.

For some, best deal just means best price.

• 1 month later...

I preferred the tour at Greenwell farms to Kona Joes, preferred the coffee too. All have a tasting room so you can sample before you buy. In contrast to another post cautioning against dark or French roasts, they are all very different and a matter of preference. Mountain Thunder French Roast is great and can be purchased at a great discount at Costco. We have found it at both the Kona Costco as well as the Oahu Costco is you want some for gift giving!

You can buy Kona coffee everywhere - every coffee shop, walmart, ABC store or other gift store. As others mentioned - lots of coffee says KONA coffee but you want to make sure it says 100% KONA COFFEE on the package.

I recommend going with local coffee shop where they roast it fresh - like Maui Coffee Roasters on Maui.

I preferred the tour at Greenwell farms to Kona Joes, preferred the coffee too. All have a tasting room so you can sample before you buy. In contrast to another post cautioning against dark or French roasts, they are all very different and a matter of preference. Mountain Thunder French Roast is great and can be purchased at a great discount at Costco. We have found it at both the Kona Costco as well as the Oahu Costco is you want some for gift giving!

You are so right it is a matter of preference. A french roast is just that a coffee where the primary flavor is the roast. It is a very popular type of roast as most major labels carry a french roast coffee.

French roast is a favorite for people who add milk or creamers in there coffee as it holds up against the dairy. Smokers like french roast too.

I personally would not want to use Hawaiian coffees for french roast as the Hawaiian coffee beans tend to be more expensive and since all the flavor is roasted out a comparable (and less expensive) Latin American bean can do the same. :)

I prefer the Royal Kona brand of 100% Kona which about every other week is on sale at Long's Drugs & is the best price. Nicki Beans sold in 1 pound bags of whole bean coffee at Costco is less than $20 for a 1 pound bag. I also enjoy it & you can use their coffee bean grinder. I prefer both of these over Hawaiian Isles or Lion's. I always bring some ground back to the Mainland to use in our Keurig coffeemaker or whole beans for my grind & brew. Other techniques may be 'mo bettah' to make coffee but it's hard to beat the convenience. ;)