Bottom Line Must Haves on any Cruise

OU8MINE

I know there have likely been other similiar posts and FAQs that probably address this question, but I'm looking for a very SIMPLE and SHORT condensed list for responses from those that know.

This is for those experienced, multi-night, multi-ship cruisers out there: What is a list of 5 items or less you now bring on board every cruise because your cabin doesn't have it, you can't get it on board and you've found it to be extremely useful? I'm primarily interested in items for the cabin, ie. extension cord or multi plug. Thanks!!

Cork screw or...

010llisallindsay.gif

llisa145.gif

Thanks for all the great replies, so far looking over the responses the following seem to be the 5 most popular, but keep keep the suggestions coming. There have been many other things I would not have thought of since it's been so long since I've cruised (like a highlighter for the schedule).

1. Some type of Clock/Alarm Clock for the room

2. Plug Extender/surge protector or extension cord

3. Flashlight, LED Light or Battery operated Candles

4. Plastic Bags: grocery and/or ziplock - or reusable

5. Water bottle/insulated mug

Another top mention and a good is clothes pins/safety pins.

Keep them coming folks this is practical, helpful information! If it hasn't been mentioned please post it.

Thanks for all the great replies, so far looking over the responses the following seem to be the 5 most popular, but keep keep the suggestions coming. There have been many other things I would not have thought of since it's been so long since I've cruised (like a highlighter for the schedule).

1. Some type of Clock/Alarm Clock for the room

2. Plug Extender/surge protector or extension cord

3. Flashlight, LED Light or Battery operated Candles

4. Plastic Bags: grocery and/or ziplock - or reusable

5. Water bottle/insulated mug

Another top mention and a good is clothes pins/safety pins.

Keep them coming folks this is practical, helpful information! If it hasn't been mentioned please post it.

What modern cell phone doesn't have alarm clock and flashlight/nightlight apps (not to mention a camera for anyone other than diehard photogs)?

Likewise, why all the paper binder recommendations for documents easily scanned and stored as PDFs in IBooks (or the android equivalent) and downloadable maps, neither of which need the internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Highlighter. We spend time in the evening looking over, and highlighting activities/shows for the next day when the Cruise Compass shows up on our bed.

2. Over the door shoe hanger. It's the one with the multiple clear pockets meant to hold shoes, but we use it for all sorts of small items - including jewelery for my DW.

3. Music (phone/tablet/mp3 player with a nice quality bluetooth speaker). We love background music - we have a very extensive list of "vacation songs" that are awesome background music on the balcony, or in the cabin

4. Beach Bag!!! Sounds odd, I know, any maybe everyone packs one or two, but when you get off the ship for a beach day (eg Labadee), we like to have our gear (towels, brushes, lotion, etc) all in a neat bag - likely this is very common, so really may not warrant being on this list

5. Small container of misc sweets/treats. I know a lot of people can't agree with me on this one, but I've done it every cruise, and it's become a tradition, I guess. We buy one of those round containers with multiple pie-shaped dividers. We go to the bulk store and buy assorted sweet/salty snacks and some mints/gum. We will usually grab a small handful from time to time when hanging around the balcony, or watching some TV before bed, etc. Yes, there is lots of food on the ship, but these little snacks seem to hit the spot at the right time.

OP,

This shows the importance of judging each suggestion based on your needs. We do not take anything on this list.

"Ponytail holder for those pants that shrink in cruising weather. Put one end thru the button hole and pass the other end thru it, making a loop. Take the looped end and hook that over the button. "

Yes, pants do seem to shrink on cruises. Strange isn't it.

Edited by AZ Ocean Lover

OP,

This shows the importance of judging each suggestion based on your needs. We do not take anything on this list.

You are absolutely correct, that's why I asked for replies, what's not such a good idea for you, may be a great suggestion for someone else.

What modern cell phone doesn't have alarm clock and flashlight/nightlight apps (not to mention a camera for anyone other than diehard photogs)?

Likewise, why all the paper binder recommendations for documents easily scanned and stored as PDFs in IBooks (or the android equivalent) and downloadable maps, neither of which need the internet?

This is true, most smartphones can handle all of the above, however, some people are just more comfortable with good ole paper or prefer to leave the phone in the safe when on shore, to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...

And what if your phone or other electronic device breaks? I would rather have my info in a nice little Word document. I have a page for each port with taxi companies (I also program a few in my cell) and other types of businesses, post office address, etc. as well as different places of interest (including backup places just in case one has to close for whatever reason. I can also email myself this document, but until we get into port, my phone stays off, as often (like our three last cruises), we didn't reach a port until the 5th or 6th day of the cruise.

Plastic over-the-door hooks, the kind that extend out from the (closet) door a few inches. One per person from which to hang dripping raincoats. You might use just one for your wrinkle-out procedure even if you're going somewhere unlikely to rain. Look for cheap ones at the dollar store, ones that the door-part kinda pinches down (not squared off); so it will grip the thin closet door.

10 or 12 plastic clothespins. NCL had a clothesline in the shower for "smalls" I washed out using their multipurpose shampoo/cleanser from the wall dispenser. Also good to keep snack packages closed.

A first aid-and-sundries kit that has a hanger-hook on the top. It contains all the dry non-RX meds including benadryl, tylenol, ibuprofen, Tums. Bandaids, and tegaderm pads, the larger ones, for anything too big for a bandaid. Maybe paper tape, too. Anti-seasick patches. Ginger chews for less significant SS. I can't remember what else is in there. Antibiotic cream or salve travels in the quart-bag of liquids, gets moved to this kit once in the cabin.

Travel power strip. I have this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H4tRmNlDL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413875108&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+power+strip

It doesn't have the USB charging ports, but our phones charge with the same cord, and our 3 Kindles will take turns with the same charger, etc.

Passtimes: Kindles, knitting, a NYT-Sundays' crossword puzzle book to work on with my mom (specific to this cruise only). Maybe some games if there's room: cribbage/cards, travel Scrabble, and/or Yahtzee.

Numbers 3 and 5 are kinda cheating (more than one item in the category or kit), but they are to give you a starting point -- alter for your needs!

Edited by crystalspin
Clarity

Poo-Pourri. No, I'm not kidding. Far better (and better smelling!!) than aerosols. You spray before you go, and no one will ever know! It also works well as just an air freshener. If you think it's too expensive, there are home-made versions on Pinterest. I buy mine on Amazon, because we have Prime. But, here's their website: http://www.poopourri.com/

What specifically do you use the bottle for? Cabin, Sun Deck Excurisions? Is it just for water....? I want to know why it's worthwhile to drag a water bottle on board. Thanks!

the tap water is perfectly drinkable( tastes better than I have at home actually) and is free. why pay for bottled water if you don't have to. just don't fill directly from the dispensers by the buffet.

Poo-Pourri. No, I'm not kidding. Far better (and better smelling!!) than aerosols. You spray before you go, and no one will ever know! It also works well as just an air freshener. If you think it's too expensive, there are home-made versions on Pinterest. I buy mine on Amazon, because we have Prime. But, here's their website: http://www.poopourri.com/

Poo-Pourri No. 2 is used at home but was unsure about using it on the ship. I don't think it would hurt anything. Anyone know for sure?

deodorant bar soap

antiseptic ointment

bandaids in various sizes (the ones for blisters are great)

travel alarm

small bills and quarters (if the ship has laundry)

I have a laundry hamper that folds up very small but will stand on its own when open. It keeps the laundry off the floor (and everywhere else) and it's convenient to pick up and take to the laundry room.

And we always take our own water bottles. Our cruise line charges for bottled water, and all you're doing is adding waste.

We have taken the foldable/collapsible bottles like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vapur-0-5-Litres-Anti-Bottle-Blue/dp/B002M0EDG8/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1414021783&sr=1-5&keywords=collapsible+bottle

Supposedly you cannot take an empty bottle larger than 3oz in your carryon, but these slid through screening! I did not put these bottles in my 5 MustHaves list, because I'm not sure if they will make the cut for the upcoming cruise on HAL -- no fridge in the Inside or Ocean View rooms! Their main purpose on our last Norwegian cruise was getting/keeping pints of tapwater cold for mixing with Crystalite flavors.

In the days when we checked a large pullman suitcase, we took one of those collapsible hampers, a large one, for a self-drive vacay in New Zealand. It was very handy for keeping the back seat tidy! However, when the suitcase was first open, it SPRANG out like a jack-in-the-box and nearly stopped my heart!

I know there have likely been other similiar posts and FAQs that probably address this question, but I'm looking for a very SIMPLE and SHORT condensed list for responses from those that know.

This is for those experienced, multi-night, multi-ship cruisers out there: What is a list of 5 items or less you now bring on board every cruise because your cabin doesn't have it, you can't get it on board and you've found it to be extremely useful? I'm primarily interested in items for the cabin, ie. extension cord or multi plug. Thanks!!

1. Multi plug and extension cord in DH's CPAP case.

2. Highlighter for marking activities in ship's newsletter

3. My journal and small scissors & scotch tape for taping port descriptions from ship newsletter

4. Small zip cube of various OTC first aid items

5. Lots of sunscreen and some Aloe Vera lotion

In addition to some items already listed, I bring a few Zip Lock bags in quart and gallon sizes. Plastic grocery bags are good, too, but sometimes you want to seal something in a bag.

Good idea. We use small baggies to bring back things like cookies from buffet to snack on while watching tv.

I have gotten really good at limiting any extras that I bring. It really clutters up our cabin, and I have found that a lot of it I never used.

But, here are a few things that I DO find useful for us to have:

Hilighter - I really look forward to getting back to our cabin in the evening to see what activities the next day has in store. I sit with my pen and mark what looks like fun!

A watch. We keep our phones off when on the ship, and one year we had no watch and it was a pain. I think we ended up buying one so we could keep track of the time for activities.

Bring several $$ if you plan to use room service and tip. Since no cash is exchanged onboard, we found we didn't have small bills for tipping. We bring many and keep them right in the top drawer so we know right where they are when our food is delivered.