Largest cruise ship ?

Sat1

In the Royal fleet, the Voyager class is the third largest, but which ship is the largest on the ocean? Oasis? And would the Voyager be the third largest afloat? I'm thinking of bragging rights, :-) having cruised on the NOS.

Allure is supposed to be a half foot longer than Oasis but they weigh in the same.

50 millimeters (a hair under two inches) longer...but on the day the Allure was measured if the temperature was warmer than the day the Oasis was measured, it could account for the small discrepancy.

In the Royal fleet, the Voyager class is the third largest, but which ship is the largest on the ocean? Oasis? And would the Voyager be the third largest afloat? I'm thinking of bragging rights, :-) having cruised on the NOS.

Well, with Quantum floating now, Voyager is the 4th largest in the RCI fleet.

But yes, as mentioned, Oasis Class is the world's largest.

50 millimeters (a hair under two inches) longer...but on the day the Allure was measured if the temperature was warmer than the day the Oasis was measured, it could account for the small discrepancy.

The Allure is supposedly longer due to an extra weld joint, they apparently slacked off a little building the Oasis... :p

Allure is supposed to be a half foot longer than Oasis but they weigh in the same.

Allure is only about two inches longer than Oasis, and slightly heavier, if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that when the cruise lines list the GT, or gross tonnage, this is not a measure of weight. It is a measure of enclosed, revenue producing space.

The Allure is three centimeters longer than the Oasis, thus the Allure is the largest cruise ship.

Allureinthemorn_zps921fc2e9.jpg

However, larger ships are in the planning stages ...

floating_hotel.jpg

Some with their own airports ...

2.42.jpgHow-To-Cruise-in-the-Largest-Ship-in-the-World-2.jpg

freedom-ship-int.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

The 10 biggest cruise ships/class in the world are:

1) RCL Allure

2) RCL Oasis

3) NCL Epic

4) RCL Freedom/Liberty/Independence of the seas

5) Cunard Queen Mary

6) NCL Breakaway

7) NCL Getaway

8) PCL Royal Princess

9) PCL Regal Princess

10) RCL Navigator of the seas

Voyager class is not in the top 10 but likely in the top 20 I think.

That pipe dream of the Freedom Ship has been "in the planning stage" for the last 24 years. No one wants to finance this thing without any guarantee that it will even work, or that they will ever sell any space onboard. Given that the Oasis/Allure vessels cost over a billion dollars, I don't believe that the current estimates of $10 billion is even close to possible.

The 10 biggest cruise ships/class in the world are:

1) RCL Allure

2) RCL Oasis

3) NCL Epic

4) RCL Freedom/Liberty/Independence of the seas

5) Cunard Queen Mary

6) NCL Breakaway

7) NCL Getaway

8) PCL Royal Princess

9) PCL Regal Princess

10) RCL Navigator of the seas

Voyager class is not in the top 10 but likely in the top 20 I think.

Navigator of the seas is Voyager Class.

You know what's interesting is that this list shows the two new Oasis class ships list as under construction, but also shows a third Quantum class ship - Ovation of the Seas - also as under construction. I did not realize that RCI committed to build a third Quantum class ship, or that it had already been named.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You know what's interesting is that this list shows the two new Oasis class ships list as under construction, but also shows a third Quantum class ship - Ovation of the Seas - also as under construction. I did not realize that RCI committed to build a third Quantum class ship, or that it had already been named.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

RCI has committed to a third AND FOURTH Quantum ship...next time CC shows the list of newbuilds, you will see all is mostly RCI, MSC & NCL....

Big Al

Speaking of largest cruise ships, what standard are we using in this thread to determine this? Are we using length, beam, gross tonnage, displacement, passenger load? If not using one standard, the answers will differ. Based on previous posts, I'm going to assume that we are using gross tonnage for the calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Speaking of largest cruise ships, what standard are we using in this thread to determine this? Are we using length, beam, gross tonnage, displacement, passenger load? If not using one standard, the answers will differ. Based on previous posts, I'm going to assume that we are using gross tonnage for the calculations.

p

Gross tonnage.