Embarking late

luckyduck

I've only been on 2 cruises, but it's always my goal (learned from these boards!) to embark as early as possible. It's fun to explore the ship and grab a bite without as many crowds.

But I was wondering - some people must prefer the opposite. What's the case for embarking late (by choice, not by necessity, such as a late flight time)? Anyone here prefer embarking later on and what's your philosophy behind that. Thanks.

We like to get to the ship by 1:30-2:00 pm. No lines, walk right onboard, we have entered the lobby of the terminal, checked in, gone through security and walked up the gangplank within 15 minutes a few times. Only once (out of 20+ cruises) did we have a delay. We got there at 1:30 and boarding had just begun, due to mechanical issues. It took us an hour to board that time…but the ones first in line had probably been there for 3 hours.

I don't know if it is coincidental or not, but most of the time our luggage arrives within a half hour of boarding. My theory is that it is on the top of the heap instead of the bottom.

We don't miss the buffet lunch, we don't feel the need to see the ship empty, we don't need to make rush reservations. Bottom line, we don't miss that hour to hour and a half that many people sit and wait for in the terminal.

I forgot our QM2 cruise…that was delayed for hours because of computer glitch, but almost everyone was kept waiting until after 3 pm. That was one where we did arrive early, I think we were there around 11:30, our boarding group was #7, only groups 1-4 boarded by noon.

Edited by Happy ks

Similar to Happy KS and for about the same reasons, we prefer to be later, meaning around 1 to 1:30 pm. By that time it is past the mad rush of the early crowd. We do have preferential boarding with Princess and RCCI but still prefer that boarding timeframe. Because of travel arrangements, we often do have to show up earlier. Princess makes rooms available upon embarkation, so that is not an issue if we do come earlier. For RCCI, rooms are not ready until early afternoon, so our preferred timeframe means we don't have to hang out with our carry-ons until the room is open.

We're the opposite as we want to be on the ship as soon as possible. I would be too stressed out to not try to get onboard the ship -- to me, 2pm would be pushing it as one can always get caught in traffic. And it also means less time on the ship to explore before the muster drill.

I've also found that time of arrival in port doesn't seem to correlate with how long the lines are. We've actually gotten to San Pedro within a half hour of the same time and have found no lines at all and have found ourselves in a long line.

Plus on Princess, you can go directly to your cabin upon boarding.

Whenever we have a choice we prefer a later arrival, like 2-ish. I hate lines, queuing and waiting. Wait to check-in, then get a number and wait for that group number to be called to board. If we arrive around 2, from getting out of the car/cab/whatever, we are on the ship in less than 5 minutes. More often then not, cabins are not immediately available if you're "first on", and if you have hand luggage you have to tote it around with you. Board later, cabins usually are ready and you can drop off your hand luggage, heat to the luncheon buffet which is still in full swing hands free (and there's less of a crowd there, too) and getting on the ship 2 hours later than 90% of the other passengers doesn't seem to put a dent in our ability to "explore" the ship.

We board late. If possible, we drop off our luggage in the morning and then go out to lunch somewhere near the port.

We board late to avoid the crowds. One time we were among the first to board, after waiting hours in a crowded terminal, and I firmly said "never again."

We also board late so we can go directly to our cabin, vs. schelpping around the ship like homeless people, dragging our carry-ons with us.

I have all week to explore the ship, I don't need to do it in the first five minutes.

I have all week to eat essentially the exact same food in the buffet (and only then when there's no other choice); moreover I have no desire to be pushed and shoved by the "I might miss something" crowd on the first day. Some folks let their excitement get the better of them - by the next day they've calmed down and settled in and are much more pleasant fellow passengers. I'd rather meet them under those circumstances, vs. frenzied excitement.

While I understand the folks who say they have paid for that first day and they want to get their money's worth, I don't feel the same way. I've paid for the entire experience, and I don't worry about maximizing every possible opportunity if it doesn't give me pleasure. For that matter, I also don't go to the stage shows even though I have, in essence, paid for them as well.

Edited by euro cruiser

But I was wondering - some people must prefer the opposite. What's the case for embarking late (by choice, not by necessity, such as a late flight time)? Anyone here prefer embarking later on and what's your philosophy behind that. Thanks.

No lines to get through security or checked in

no herd at the buffet

room ready as soon as you get on board.

sleep in, have a leisurely brekkie( and/or lunch) and not feel rushed

Both styles have their merits.

Has always been our choice. Our last cruise I did something I never do and that was fly in the day of departure. It was only a short 4 day coastal so I took the chance. The terminal was basically empty when we got there at 1330. Not normally the case but I found out later that the ship sailed over half empty. Although we get priority boarding I still prefer to arrive early and get settled in. All must arrive by 90 (might be 60) minutes prior to sailing as thats when the ships final manifest is due to the authorities.

For our first Alaska cruise, we took a Princess bus from Seattle airport to the Vancouver cruise ship terminal. With US Labor Day traffic at the border crossing, we got to the terminal around 4pm. That was an odd mix of "we're late!", "we're fine; we took a Princess transfer so we know they'll take care of us", "this line is moving almost too fast for me!", and "get into cabin, drop bags, almost immediately whisked off to muster drill, and luggage had arrived by the end of drill". As much as we felt the bus was five wasted hours, there were perks to late embarkation.

For our second Alaska cruise, we had a friend ride with us on the drive from Seattle to Vancouver (we had moved to Seattle), and he drove our empty SUV home after vising friends for the night. As much as we planned for traffic, border crossing, etc. with the intention of boarding at 1:15 or 1:30, we arrived in the noon mayhem and did the crawl through the terminal.

Next time, we're doing a Seattle round-trip, so with a 45-minute round trip and two alternate routes that add less than 15 minutes, we'll probably do lunch at home then aim for a 2:30 boarding.

We have a week to explore the ship. The buffet is there every day. When I read the "I paid for that day and want to enjoy the full day", really? An hour or more of sitting around in a terminal is worth that? I have to do that to fly, I don't have to when boarding a cruise ship.

Quite a few times we have done a city tour, or gone to a really nice Sunday Brunch, or just relaxed and not nervously rushed only to wait in line (when we cruise from our home port). I've even visited the library after 4 pm and there are still books there (now just take my Kindle).

I do understand how many (actually the majority) of people are anxious to get onboard the ship. If you shoot for 1:30 - 2:00 pm and you are already close to port, there is no danger in missing the ship. When we stay at a hotel, we just ask for late check out if we don't want to get underway so early.

I'm planning to arrive 1:30-2:00 for our next cruise. We will be traveling with two small children, and I am just not interested in schlepping our carry ons plus stroller etc. up to the buffet. I'd much rather go straight to our rooms, unload, then go eat and explore at our leisure.

If we were traveling sans kids, then maybe I'd be more eager to be one of the first on, but my goal for this vacation is JUST RELAX, NO RUSH!

I go for the middle. Don't see the point in being early, you just get a long wait Ina terminal building that is overcrowded with bored folk waiting for them to start boarding. Also do not go in the later section, because it involves killing time somewhere else.

More often than not I've got an overnight stay, so I have a long lie at the hotel and a late breakfast, get myself organised and amble down to check out at noon. I ten take it nixes and before making my way to the port around 1.30 -2 and get on right away.

My next cruise will be an exception. Earliest you can check in is 3 pm, earliest you can get your cabin is 7pm (ship sails 10am next morning). Trouble is my flight lands at 8am, so I'm going to be at the port at around 10 30 hoping to at least drop my luggage before heading into Dubai to find something no do after a tiring overnight flight. This really isn't by choice though. Only 2 flights per day and the later one might work, but would mean boarding around midnight but no contingency if that flight gets cancelled.

Most of the time I prefer not to board early. The majority of cruises I've taken in the last decade have been ones where the embarkation port is not in the US. Since the ports are a main reason I book cruises, I am not eager to miss a decent half-day of sightseeing in the port city just to be among the first on the ship.

Sure, you've "paid" for the first day aboard the ship. But the ship is unchanging and there will be ample opportunity to explore during the cruise. On the other hand, I also "paid" to come all this way from home in order to enjoy Europe (or wherever) -- why should I short myself a day in somewhere as wonderful as Rome or Istanbul or Athens or Venice or Barcelona or Copenhagen or ......

Sometimes I have boarded a ship so late that I miss the muster drill (there is a make-up), but I have never in 40 years of cruising come close to missing the ship.

Edited by cruisemom42

Great topic. Count us in the early embarkation crowd. And here is why. Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle with the longer lines and controlled chaos. And it is true you might be stuck with your carry-on bags for a couple of hours. But for us, it is a matter of adding what can be like an entire sea day to our cruise. We usually get priority embarkation with most cruise lines (what can we say...we cruise a lot) which usually helps us get aboard by noon. If we are in a warm climate we normally head straight to lunch and enjoy some food (and drink) before the ship gets too crowded. It is usually possible to get in the cabins by 1, and we normally head to our cabin, lock up our valuables, change into our swim suits and head right to the pool deck with our books. While most folks are wondering around in their street clothes, having the strange looks you see when folks first get on a ship, etc... we are comfy in our deck chairs, reading our books, and having lots of fun People Watching. Trust me that many folks are fascinating when they first get on a ship and it can be one of the best shows of the cruise just to watch passengers that first afternoon. When it gets to about a half hour before the boat drill we will head back to our cabin where hopefully our luggage will have arrived. At that point we quickly unpack and then head to the boat drill..after which its off to a bar for a nice drink as we sail away. We essentially have turned that first afternoon into a sea day....and enjoyed nearly every minute.

If you get on late, you miss out on that first afternoon. We think its almost like giving up a day of the cruise. And I should add that we have a similar philosophy on the last morning during debarkation. While most folks are running around like crazy people, nervously looking at their watches, fighting to get a good position so they can be off the ship before the next guy, etc..... Well, we are usually relaxing on the pool deck (after breakfast) with our coffee and books. Sometimes we will look over the side to see the activities below. Then around 9:30 or a bit later we simply walk off the ship, grab our luggage (easy to find at this point) and then off to the airport or a hotel or whatever. No lines, no sweat, and we have almost (not quite) enjoyed that last morning.

Hank

I always arrive at the port after 1pm for 4pm departures. Like others, I can usually walk right onto the ship, no lines, no waiting. This usually gives me enough time to have a big breakfast, do something in the city of the port, go directly to my cabin with my carry-ons, and avoid the buffet on the lido. It is my least favorite part of the ship/cruising experience. I eat every meal possible in the dining room, and if I can't, I order room service. Then again, I cruise for ports, not the ship or sea days, so I'm not looking for more time on the ship or an extra "sea day."

For us, one of our cruising traditions is to enjoy a "served" lunch in one of the main dining rooms. It really feels like the cruise is starting to sit down, have the waiter bring the menu, chat with other people, etc. Also, some things (like the ship's tour) might sell out.

So, we try to get on early, make whatever reservations we want, and then try to be at the main dining room at noon. Typically the dining room closes at 1:30 PM, at least on Princess.

Hank, we miss an hour to an hour and a half onboard, but we also miss that hour or hour and a half waiting in the terminal to board. You're really not on the ship much longer than we are.

If we would have rushed to cruise ships we wouldn't have been able to take a morning tour of Rome. Or the Arizona Memorial on Oahu, or a very enjoyable tour of Vancouver. A couple Sunday Brunches with friends/family…plus other more memorable experiences than an atrium or buffet food. I love being on cruise ships, but I also enjoy seeing other places. If we fly to port, we always come in at least a day ahead, but I still want to see some of the place prior to boarding.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about disembarkation. My husband wanted first off last cruise, he was nervous about getting to the airport on time. Well, big rush and frustration early the last morning, we got off by 7:30, through Immigration and Customs line by 7:45, in a cab and to the airport by 8 am (FLL). Our flight wasn't until noon, and then was delayed by an hour. At around 10:30 I noticed others from our cruise arriving at the flight gate.

Next cruise (like most cruises) we are staying over a couple nights post cruise, no rushing for me.

I vote EARLY! The first cruise we got there after 3 without luggage. Bags made our connecting flight in Charlotte, but we were closed out of boarding (our plane was delayed in Dayton when we first boarded). We took the 3 PM shuttle to the ship. Even though it was late, there were tons of people and it took FOREVER to get to our room. The muster drill was going on while we were at the check-in window. We were totally exhausted by the time we flopped down on the beds and it was less than an hour till dinner. Our luggage got there the next day just before we left Nassau. Maybe these days it doesn't take as long for later embarkation, but that experience has left me with no desire to go late.

Eventually we learned to board by 11-noon. It usually doesn't take long in line outside or in. I like having that extra afternoon onboard and lunch is usually not crowded yet. By the time we're finished eating, the room is ready. I usually dress for the day so that I can just go up to the pool after freshening up and not worry about changing. Vegging out in a lounge chair and indulging in an "adult beverage" with the whole week ahead of me is my idea of heaven.

I'm not much of a "scoff law", but the last 4 cruises I have eliminated the inconvenience of lugging around carry-ons. I always put the extra luggage tags on the pilot case and backpack. The I attach the backpack to the large bag and put the smaller wheeled bag next to it. Then I walk away so they can't tell me I have to keep the carry-ons. I don't worry about anything getting lost once we are at the ship and keep some meds in my purse. So far it has worked. I'll try it again a week from tomorrow. ;)

I actually agree with you that in some places the time is better spent on shore then waiting in a cruise terminal. We have also delayed boarding when in some European and Asian cities. Most of our early boarding happens in US Ports where we always are in the city at least 1 day early. When in places like Ft Lauderdale, Miami, San Diego, etc.. we have little interest in trying to cram something in to part of day. There are other reasons to get aboard early on some lines. For example, on Princess if you want to get reservations for the "Chef's Table" or perhaps the Sanctuary it is necessary to be among the first to board the ship. On Celebrity, we are often able to get reservations to dine in Murano for half-price on the first night of the cruise...but this is also on a first come first serve basis. On HAL they have a nice "Mariners lunch" in the MDR for returning Mariners...but this ends by 1 or 1:30. On the Celebrity Solstice class ships there is a pay restaurant ($5) called the Bistro on Five where they have wonderful crepes in a nice setting but the place tends to fill quickly on embarkation day. It is nice to get aboard early, go to that spacious restaurant, enjoy their wonderful lunch (which would cost at least 4 or 5 times the price for a comparable meal on shore) and also do some People Watching as people stroll by on this busy public deck.

I guess, over the years and after more cruises then we can even remember, we have developed strategies for just about ever embarkation port in the world. DW and I work hard to make both the embarkation day and debarkation day....nice days rather then just a harried mess. It is the same when we travel on land in Europe where we try to do our "transition" to new places/hotels in an enjoyable way. For example, if driving around Spain we will generally do our "relocation" during the afternoon "Siesta" when most things are closed. We know others that will jump in their car right after breakfast, when everything is open, drive a few hours to another city, check-in...and then find that everything is closed until 5pm. Fitting one's schedule into the actual situation can reap lots of benefits. Those that try to stubbornly do things that same way they always do....are often unhappy campers. A good example would be fellow Americans who travel to Spain and then go out to dinner at 6pm....just like at home in a country when many of the best restaurants do not even open for dinner until 9pm.

Hank