Titanic's Last Dinner

Iamthesea

Fascinating though some speculation has to be involved. Numerous food and naval historians have lamented that there's no documentation on what the actual final meal was on the Titanic - no one saved a menu (for obvious reasons) and the chefs had a great deal of latitude in planning the meals.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, Last Dinner on the Titanic is a great place to start. It has not only the recipes but discussion on how meals were served, the dress, the etiquette, the arrangement of courses, the entertainment, and practical suggestions about how to rope your friends into doing it with you (it takes a small army).

Fascinating though some speculation has to be involved. Numerous food and naval historians have lamented that there's no documentation on what the actual final meal was on the Titanic - no one saved a menu (for obvious reasons) and the chefs had a great deal of latitude in planning the meals.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, Last Dinner on the Titanic is a great place to start. It has not only the recipes but discussion on how meals were served, the dress, the etiquette, the arrangement of courses, the entertainment, and practical suggestions about how to rope your friends into doing it with you (it takes a small army).

I'll bet!

Fascinated in Titanic History also. If you ever do a Northern cruise to Canada, visit the Maritime Museum in Halifax. Highlight of our cruise.

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/titanic-unsinkable-ship-and-halifax

We took the cruise last Fall, but did not go to the Maritime Museum. We did go to the cemetery, though. And DH and I have been to two Titanic museums. Fascinating!

Incidentally, the movie Titanic was the reason that I put off cruising even though my husband wanted to take me on one. I said no for three years until he convinced me to try a land/sea deal with Disney. That was 17 years and 36 cruises ago. As you can see by my signature, we have a few more to go. :D We have been to so many countries and visited many cities that we could not possibly do as land trips. Taking pre/post cruise trips along with the cruise is an excellent way to travel! ;)

Sorry, am going to be a 'kill joy' here, but I find things like this difficult. Hundreds of people lost their lives on this ship / night and I just don't want to think about what they ate for their last meal....

We visited the museum in Southampton and saw a map of Southampton on the floor. It was just covered in red blobs. Each one represented someone who died that night. It has stayed with me ....

Let's stop romanticising this tragedy.

I appreciate your thoughts, and I agree with you wholeheartedly! :( I don't think anyone is "romanticizing" what happened. The dinner was more of a in remembrance to kick off a Titanic Artifact Exhibit that was happening in 2015 in the authors city.

And I simply posted the link to show a comparison to the cusine that was served on the ocean liners of the past, to the ships menu's of today. ;) Several months ago, I posted about the "dress" differences throughout the years, and also another cuisine comparison.

I appreciate your thoughts, and I agree with you wholeheartedly! :( I don't think anyone is "romanticizing" what happened. The dinner was more of a in remembrance to kick off a Titanic Artifact Exhibit that was happening in 2015 in the authors city.

And I simply posted the link to show a comparison to the cusine that was served on the ocean liners of the past, to the ships menu's of today. ;) Several months ago, I posted about the "dress" differences throughout the years, and also another cuisine comparison.

Hi, that sort of puts it into context I suppose. I just get twitchy when things like ship replicas are made etc just to make money.

Sorry if I came across as being judgemental - will look at your other posts now as the dress one would be interesting !!!

:)

I am a Titanic fan...all things...I have flown to Las Vegas from San Diego to see the exhibit...and been to all the museums that I have known about...all over the world.

The "Last Supper"...well..I'm not sure...but I appreciate that many, many of us do have an interest in this ship. Aren't we lucky that we can sail today...in safety and with our CC friends?? LuAnn

Interestingly enough, we just received our club newsletter and they are having a Titanic dinner on May 25th. We will be sailing at the time, but told my DH that we probably would not have attended.

Sorry but words 'sick' and 'gimmick' come to mind. Shame on them for making money out of such a tragedy.

I am a Titanic fan...all things...I have flown to Las Vegas from San Diego to see the exhibit...and been to all the museums that I have known about...all over the world.

The "Last Supper"...well..I'm not sure...but I appreciate that many, many of us do have an interest in this ship. Aren't we lucky that we can sail today...in safety and with our CC friends?? LuAnn

Sorry to be a real 'kill joy' but having sailed past what was left of the Costa Concordia as she was being scrapped, when leaving Genoa, I sometimes despair of people ... i.e. her arrogant Captain.

I suppose we thank God for the overwhelmingly brilliant, professional crews who keep us all safe..

Re this stupid Titanic meal ---- Imagine someone saying that we have the meal like the one those poor people who lost their lives on the Concordia had. I think people would feel sick at the thought.

Well, to us & to make money when hundreds died on the Titanic is equally just not right...

Sorry, am going to be a 'kill joy' here, but I find things like this difficult. Hundreds of people lost their lives on this ship / night and I just don't want to think about what they ate for their last meal....

We visited the museum in Southampton and saw a map of Southampton on the floor. It was just covered in red blobs. Each one represented someone who died that night. It has stayed with me ....

Let's stop romanticising this tragedy.

Sorry but words 'sick' and 'gimmick' come to mind. Shame on them for making money out of such a tragedy.

There are many Titanic exhibitions, including the one in Southampton, for which there is an entrance fee. There are paid tours to the Fairview Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the final resting place for over one hundred victims of the sinking of the Titanic. Yes, there also dinners held in remembrance of the final dinner onboard the Titanic. I personally don't view these as sick and gimmicky money grabs.

This link is to a Veterans Affairs Canada item for teachers on preparing a "wartime meal" in remembrance of our veterans: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/information-for/educators/teachers-guides/canada-remembers-times/meals I believe that the intention of the Titanic dinner is quite similar, to honour those who died aboard her.

Sorry to be a real 'kill joy' but having sailed past what was left of the Costa Concordia as she was being scrapped, when leaving Genoa, I sometimes despair of people ... i.e. her arrogant Captain.

I suppose we thank God for the overwhelmingly brilliant, professional crews who keep us all safe..

Re this stupid Titanic meal ---- Imagine someone saying that we have the meal like the one those poor people who lost their lives on the Concordia had. I think people would feel sick at the thought.

Well, to us & to make money when hundreds died on the Titanic is equally just not right...

I actually met a young man who was on the Costa Concordia the night she went down...he was one of the photo people...and his "mate" died...going back for his instrument that night...and he had to swim to the shore. I'm not making "light" of anything...I HONOR the people and the ship...please...my DD works for Princess Cruise Line...and is on a ship most of the time...of course...taking care of us all!!! LuAnn

There are many Titanic exhibitions, including the one in Southampton, for which there is an entrance fee. There are paid tours to the Fairview Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the final resting place for over one hundred victims of the sinking of the Titanic. Yes, there also dinners held in remembrance of the final dinner onboard the Titanic. I personally don't view these as sick and gimmicky money grabs.

This link is to a Veterans Affairs Canada item for teachers on preparing a "wartime meal" in remembrance of our veterans: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/information-for/educators/teachers-guides/canada-remembers-times/meals I believe that the intention of the Titanic dinner is quite similar, to honour those who died aboard her.

Are the exhibitors or the Fairview Cemetary out to exploit the tragedy by thier actions? I agree that they are not.

You can read about history or you can experience history by going to an exhibition or a musuem to see or feel the artifacts. But to really experience history you need to get as close as you can to the people who were the history. One way to do that is to experience what they experienced. That could include, for example, going into an actual old style mine vs. visiting an exhibit about these mines, or experiencing peoples' living conditions at an historic site, or by tasting the type of food they ate. So I have no issue with these types of Titanic dinners.

Now, if the Titanic dinner was part of an opening of a new Titanic underwater ride at the local amusement park, I might have an issue with that. It's all in the intent.

Since we are on the Titanic, how many of you who have sailed out of Southhampton, have ever been to the TITANIC BAR and restaurant? It is where many of the crew and passengers ate before the infamous sailing. To this day, Titanic family member who lost loved ones and still live in Southampton come and eat and drink there. We discovered it by accident and had a great time there.

Interestingly enough, we just received our club newsletter and they are having a Titanic dinner on May 25th. We will be sailing at the time, but told my DH that we probably would not have attended.

I just sent the link to our club as a Valentines theme with soft dancing music and perhaps a violin....now I feel bad....I never thought of this link/dinner as a 'celebration of the sinking', but as a testament to the times...a quieter, gentler meal without the hurry up and eat you find in most restaurants today. Guess I separated the disaster from the dining.

Since we are on the Titanic, how many of you who have sailed out of Southhampton, have ever been to the TITANIC BAR and restaurant? It is where many of the crew and passengers ate before the infamous sailing. To this day, Titanic family member who lost loved ones and still live in Southampton come and eat and drink there. We discovered it by accident and had a great time there.

OH NO...how did I miss that???...if and when I'm back there I will seek it out!!! LuAnn

I've obviously upset a number of you and apologise if this has happened. I never intended to.

The whole idea of the meal etc makes me, personally, cringe, but I suppose if events take place with a respect for those lost by those attending, then that is not a bad thing.

I am just cynical I suppose and think that some people organising such events just see pound signs ..... or dollar signs --- and that makes me mad.

Apologies again if I have offended anyone

I've obviously upset a number of you and apologise if this has happened. I never intended to.

The whole idea of the meal etc makes me, personally, cringe, but I suppose if events take place with a respect for those lost by those attending, then that is not a bad thing.

I am just cynical I suppose and think that some people organising such events just see pound signs ..... or dollar signs --- and that makes me mad.

Apologies again if I have offended anyone

Presto2, there's no need for apologies, as you were simply stating your personal opinion and providing an honest assessment of how you react to these dinners. I can't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't upset by your posts. While we may not share the same point of view on the dinners, I think it's safe to say that we all share a deep respect for the unfortunate passengers who lost their lives on this ill-fated voyage.

Presto2, there's no need for apologies, as you were simply stating your personal opinion and providing an honest assessment of how you react to these dinners. I can't speak for others, but I certainly wasn't upset by your posts. While we may not share the same point of view on the dinners, I think it's safe to say that we all share a deep respect for the unfortunate passengers who lost their lives on this ill-fated voyage.

Thanks - just read some replies to my post and thought I had offended people. :(

Thanks - just read some replies to my post and thought I had offended people. :(

No..you didn't offend me...just trying to explain my viewpoint...and I do understand yours!!!...That ship/voyage etc. has always been close to my heart....lucky enough to have been sailing on the ocean since the early 70s...both big and small ships (boats) etc...the sea is a draw!!! LuAnn