First Aid Kit?

Scrap Addict

Well, I'll start: especially for those 11 days in Rome - moleskin and blister-block band aids. Sunscreen, and SPF lip moisturizer. Some kind of antacid. Whatever works for your headaches. Whatever works for your sore muscles. Your preferred over-the-counter cold/sinus remedy.

We have a bag that we keep packed for vacation. I recommend picking up cough, cold, and decongestant items. If you come down with a cold, you don't want to waste valuable vacation time hunting down cold meds in port.

Take anything you need! We were on our 24 day Med cruise from Barcelona to Venice last July on the Nieuw! After we got off in Venice we were gone another 2 months traveling Europe! Take what you need, and buy the rest in Europe. They have everything you need there including getting glasses again since I lost mine at the train station some where in Milan. Our MD gave us RX for Z Paks if needed, and if you take meds we do not have a RX from your Dr. So if need be you can get it filled. I am a retired young DDS, and have no problem buying or seeing a Dr. In Europe if needed.

3STAR MARINER becoming 4 on next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam B2B western/eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

My first aid kit is in a snack size ziploc that I carry in purse, mostly blister care including blister bandiads some pre-cut mole skin and a few regular bandaids. Also a few tums, bonine, ginger candy (for immediate relief of motion sickness) cough drops, immodium, chewable pepto bismol, childrens and adults tylenol, and some of the kids thin strips for cold and cough, and for allergy. I take double the kids doseage. Traveling with kids, its better to have kid doses of OTC meds since they are hard to find out of the country or on a cruise ship. Plus those thin strip meds are just so handy to travel with.

In my luggage I also take prednisone in case of an ashma attack, but only used this once for a bad case of poison ivy, note to self, no more clearing brush before travel. I'm tossing in a general antibiotic next trip, because I have some on hand but I figure I can get those if I need them.

Random things I've forgotten over the years: nail clippers (important for happy feet!), good quality hand lotion for very dry skin. We travel carry on only so I tend to skimp on "liquids" but things like lotion, and aloe vera for sunburn, are worth cramming into the quart size ziploc when you find you need them but don't have them.

Bandaids, antibiotic ointment, ginger candy, antacids, cold meds, throat lozenges, ibuprofin, Salonpas patches (DH uses), a course of antibiotics (broad-spectrum, mainly for dental problems), seasickness pills, immodium, antihistamine. And that's apart from our daily medications. Then there is the sunscreen, lip balm, sunburn cream.

We NEVER get an airplane without Cipro and a serious script for pain. My husband has had a couple of bad bouts with kidney stones, hence the pain meds. Cipro is a really serious last-resort antibiotic that will work for many things, including anthrax. Flight attendants will have many "aids" for small problems. Once on land, you can buy many small first aid items, although we do carry a small first-aid kit for those items, as well.

Bandaids, antibiotic ointment, ginger candy, antacids, cold meds, throat lozenges, ibuprofin, Salonpas patches (DH uses), a course of antibiotics (broad-spectrum, mainly for dental problems), seasickness pills, immodium, antihistamine. And that's apart from our daily medications. Then there is the sunscreen, lip balm, sunburn cream.

I pretty much take the same items but also include Robaxacet (muscle strain).

What medicines/supplies do you all pack for your cruises? I will be on a 22 Med Cruise next July plus 11 days in Rome prior to the cruise. Other than the obvious Immodium AD (:)), what do you all generally take?

For our 33 days aboard ship last year besides Imodium I packed a kit with Alka Seltzer, cough drops, cold medicine, cough syrup (those are all very expensive aboard ship), tooth medicine, Meclazine (generic Bonine), band aids, Bacitracin, aspirin, Aspercreme rub, Benedryl, Calamine lotion for insect bites. Because I am prone to bronchitis I also brought some of my Rx antibiotics for that. I also included an ace bandage, tape, and a miniature sewing kit. I had a small scissors too.

Sounds like a lot but actually takes up very little space.

I know some of these are available free from ship medical Center or even from front desk. But when afflicted with cough, headache or other pain in middle of the night I don't want to have to leave the cabin to get meds. I'd rather have them with me.

Edited by NMLady

I'm pretty low maintenance, except for allergies, so my personal medical kit is usually just the bare minimum.

Generally I pack:

OTC Medications (can be generic):

Excedrin

Aleve

Benadryl Tablets

Chlor-Trimeton

Tums

Neosporin

Benadryl Cream

Supplies:

Band-Aids, assorted sizes

Q-Tips

Tweezers

Aveeno Hand Cream

Ricola Cough Drops

Fabric Medical Tape

Alcohol prep wipes

In addition to the many item listed by others I also pack drops to treat Pink Eye and drops for Swimmer's Ear.

I have picked up Pink Eye twice while travelling and having the drops handy can save a lot of discomfort and cure it very quickly. It is quite contagious and all it takes to catch it is for you to unthinkingly rub your eyes. The drops are available OTC.

I include a tiny tube of super-glue, and am surprised how handy that can be. Once for a loose tooth on a denture, once for a broken strap on a shoe, and once to fill a need for a fellow passenger. I keep it in my first aid pack because it's too small to find elsewhere.

We bring a small pharmacy and emergency supplies which actually take very little room - most have been mentioned above but we also bring a small eyeglass repair kit that was purchased at a dollar store. Have used it once and lent it out more than once. Which reminds me to refill the screws. That and a small sewing kit with a few buttons and safety pins fit well in an Altoid's metal container.

One OTC no one mentioned is we always bring a small jar of Vicks. It gets so dry on the ship we put a little bit on a Q-tip and paint the inside of the nose - works great. Have heard it also helps to prevent acquiring a cold but probably an old wives' tale. Vaseline would also work but I like the menthol and the bit of decongestion Vicks offers. Also helps if we get a cold with sinus congestion without taking tons of meds.

What medicines/supplies do you all pack for your cruises? I will be on a 22 Med Cruise next July plus 11 days in Rome prior to the cruise. Other than the obvious Immodium AD (:)), what do you all generally take?

I take antihistamine. Polysporin and a few water proof bandaids. And so,me ginger pills.

We have a bag that we keep packed for vacation. I recommend picking up cough, cold, and decongestant items. If you come down with a cold, you don't want to waste valuable vacation time hunting down cold meds in port.

Or paying the high prices for them onboard ship.:eek::eek:

I read through all these posts, and we bring all that too. One thing no one else mentioned is packets of Peroxyl, which is a peroxide rinse you can get from the dentist. It works wonders if you need mouth first aid (like when a tortilla chip scrapes your gum, etc.) Oragel is also inexpensive, and if you need it, you would really need it.

We also have a backpackers first aid kit that we bought at REI that we take with us in the backpack while we are in port. It has helped us and others many times.

My all time favorite was the bee sting kit. I stepped on a dead bee in Mazatlan on a Romantic walk on the beach. I had never been stung before, and I can't begin to tell you how glad I was that we had that kit!:o especially since we had probably walked a mile, and you know what they say: your feet can carry you in, but they also have to carry you out.

Hope this helps!

AC

most of the above - but also throw in some plastic gloves in case the dreaded noro hits and electrolytes and masks, and ginger capsules, and a tooth repair kit available at the drugstore to temporarily fill the space if a filling falls out or to glue a crown back on - a pack of the antibiotic that is safe for us to use,

a tenser bandage for knees or ankles in case of a fall, wrist bands for sea sickness, and a general first aid kit for cuts etc.

I mention the masks because on one cruise we were on a tour and one woman coughed into the air through the whole tour and I picked up the virus and lost a month of my cruise enjoyment and paid quite a bit for the meds - I never travel without them now and keep them with me when touring and don't hesitate to wear them when needed.