Pay early, Pay More, Get Less

synet165

Re: NCL Gem 11/15 to 11/22

We booked a mid-ship balcony early and paid for it in full. The ship seems to be empty and the price has gone down alot of money. We were told, when we paid that if the price goes down, we would get an OBC for the difference.

That's not the case, no credits, only an upgrade to a lower category cabin, now offering an amenity package but only new bookings.

Extremely rude persons answering questions, they feel that it's not their problem if you booked earlier, they have the money and so what if it's cheaper now. Have written to Kevin Sheehan, the President about this situation.

Stopped cruising NCL years ago and was trying them again because we live in NYC. Will go back to Princess, who knows how to treat past passengers. We guess that NCL would prefer half empty sailings to making passengers happy.

synet165

Re: NCL Gem 11/15 to 11/22

We booked a mid-ship balcony early and paid for it in full. The ship seems to be empty and the price has gone down alot of money. We were told, when we paid that if the price goes down, we would get an OBC for the difference.

That's not the case, no credits, only an upgrade to a lower category cabin, now offering an amenity package but only new bookings.

Extremely rude persons answering questions, they feel that it's not their problem if you booked earlier, they have the money and so what if it's cheaper now. Have written to Kevin Sheehan, the President about this situation.

Stopped cruising NCL years ago and was trying them again because we live in NYC. Will go back to Princess, who knows how to treat past passengers. We guess that NCL would prefer half empty sailings to making passengers happy.

synet165

The policy is that if the price goes down before the final payment date that you can rebook the same cabin at that price. I saved $600 this way and I know someone on my roll call that upgraded from a studio to a balcony and got a refund. If it's past final payment date then most the time they will offer a paid upgrade to an higher stateroom or a free upgrade in the same category. In my instance after final payment the price of a M6 (mini-suite with large balcony) went down another $300. I could have gone to a Spa mini-suite for $40 extra or been "upgraded" to a family mini-suite (which are technically considered higher class) for free. Since I'm a solo cruiser I declined both.

Was offer of free obc when price went down put into writing / email from the person on the phone? If not, I wouldn't take their word at face value considering some of stories about the skills and manners of NCL phone reps.

synet, I hear ya.

Early this year, I was looking at transatlantics for this fall on another cruise line, but pricing was outta sight, so I booked Getaway for Eastern Carib. instead and got what seemed a decent price on a balcony guarantee.

Just days before final payment was due, the price on Getaway dropped twice and I got $400+ refunded in cash. Sweet. :D

But then the price on the transatlantic sailing at the same time dropped to what I originally paid for Getaway -- for a sailing TWICE as long! :eek:

Lesson learned. Book nothing too soon, but watch and wait for that final payment window when prices can drop dramatically.

As for all the other crap incentives, OBC, UBP, UDP, they can keep them. Just give me a good base rate and I'm a happy camper. Or should I say cruiser? :D

Does Princess currently give OBC for price drops after fianl payment? If so, wow, I thought, except for Carnival early saver (strings attached), the cruise lines had stopped doing. Or are you just generally longing for your loyalty benefits of another line. Loyalty benefits are designed to do that, so no surprise if that's it.

NCL gives credit for price drops until final payment; maybe that is the sourse of the confusion. After final payment, the price is pretty much set, but NCL is pretty good about giving upgrades after final payment. So, OP, have you looked at higher category cabins and their prices to see if something appeals to you. If they are priced less that you already paid, you might get to upgrade for free. If they still cost more than you have paid, you'd have to pony up the difference...but if the price drop was big enough to upset you maybe it is big enough to help you upgrade. Maybe an aft balcony (B1) with a great view of the wake. Or maybe a minisuite that would give you a bit of extra space. Or maybe a full suite is now in your price range; the suites are great.

Does Princess currently give OBC for price drops after fianl payment? If so, wow, I thought, except for Carnival early saver (strings attached), the cruise lines had stopped doing. Or are you just generally longing for your loyalty benefits of another line. Loyalty benefits are designed to do that, so no surprise if that's it.

NCL gives credit for price drops until final payment; maybe that is the sourse of the confusion. After final payment, the price is pretty much set, but NCL is pretty good about giving upgrades after final payment. So, OP, have you looked at higher category cabins and their prices to see if something appeals to you. If they are priced less that you already paid, you might get to upgrade for free. If they still cost more than you have paid, you'd have to pony up the difference...but if the price drop was big enough to upset you maybe it is big enough to help you upgrade. Maybe an aft balcony (B1) with a great view of the wake. Or maybe a minisuite that would give you a bit of extra space. Or maybe a full suite is now in your price range; the suites are great.

We upgraded one of our staterooms from an inside to a balcony and made $10.00 on the upgrade. There are things NCL will do for you if the price goes down but returning money after the PIF date is generally not one of them.

No, Princess doesn't give money back (or an OBC). I asked on my cruise earlier this year. Like the majority of other lines, you can upgrade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Baseball fan

No, Princess doesn't give money back (or an OBC). I asked on my cruise earlier this year. Like the majority of other lines, you can upgrade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the info. I'd have been very surprised if Princess allowed money back or OBC after final payment.

Nobody enjoys seeing the price of their cruise drop after final payment, but sometimes it happens. Other times, prices go up after final. It is hard to time it perfectly every time. After final I try to look at upgrade opportunities, not at the price of my current cabin. I also try not to look at the price of my nonrefundable airline tickets after I buy them (I look at SWA and others that will reprice).

Was offer of free obc when price went down put into writing / email from the person on the phone? If not, I wouldn't take their word at face value considering some of stories about the skills and manners of NCL phone reps.

Skills and manners of NCL phone reps? Before we throw them under the bus...has it even been said somewhere that it was an NCL phone rep and not the OP's TA who made the original statement??

When the facts aren't on your side...use a large and bold font to convince people. :rolleyes:

I never understood why people bother to check the price after final payment. You know darn well you are not entitled to a refund, or anything. Why do you even check??

Because more often than not, I have received some kind of benefit. :p it pays to ask.

I never understood why people bother to check the price after final payment. You know darn well you are not entitled to a refund, or anything. Why do you even check??

I check so that I can upgrade to the next cabin category if the price for the next cabin category is reduced to the amount I paid for my stateroom. They will give you upgrades under those circumstances.

I must be old fashioned. I only book at a price I think is fair and decent for the category of interest. Sometimes it is a year in advance...sometimes it is three days prior to sailing. Although I read about fascinating deals, upgrades, and OBC after booking a cruise and the price goes down on cruise critic, I never assume it will happen to me...hence the reason I only book at what I think a bargain during a time I can sail. That said, I do not blame anyone who tries after the fact! Good for those who get something more but never expect it because happens to others.

coka

The cabin catergory I have booked for my cruise next month has gone up slightly. It was sold out online for a period of time then came back with a higher price. I'm extreMky happy with what we paid though because they had the kids sail free promo before final payment. Prices aren't guaranteed to go down once final payment hits, it could also go up.

I must be old fashioned. I only book at a price I think is fair and decent for the category of interest. Sometimes it is a year in advance...sometimes it is three days prior to sailing. Although I read about fascinating deals, upgrades, and OBC after booking a cruise and the price goes down on cruise critic, I never assume it will happen to me...hence the reason I only book at what I think a bargain during a time I can sail. That said, I do not blame anyone who tries after the fact! Good for those who get something more but never expect it because happens to others.

coka

I booked a MA Mini-Suite and an inside across the hall for the children. I am happy with our cabin selection in the Mini-Suite. The children were just happy to have their own space. However, being able to upgrade the children to a balcony is certainly a plus.

I booked a MA Mini-Suite and an inside across the hall for the children. I am happy with our cabin selection in the Mini-Suite. The children were just happy to have their own space. However, being able to upgrade the children to a balcony is certainly a plus.

Will they be across the hall from you if that happens? They might be on a different deck. Keep your fingers crossed for a full suite upsell at a great bargain!

coka

coka

Same here!

It is a gamble to pay off a cruise before final payment date in case of a price drop. But my experience is usually the price drops happen AFTER final payments are due. NCL is not going to give you full rebate on the price change. If they did that, the entire ship would do that and the cruise line would be out of business. Cruise prices are supply and demand. HOWEVER, NCL is pretty good at upgrades and it appears they did offer the OP an upgrade but the OP was not happy where it was. Sometimes NCL will also throw in some OBC but it is not going to be equal to the entire price drop. For example my price drop was $800 and I got $140 OBC. I was HAPPY :)

My current cruise has went up over $800 so I am guessing I don't have to worry about price drops. So in my case it does pay to book early ;)

My advice to the OP is go and enjoy your cruise. How often do we price flights and we don't book only to find the next day the price went way up and we are kicking ourselves why we did not book when the flight was so low. There is nothing you can do about it. It is life. Life is not fair. Cruising is a business. Extremely low cruise prices happen all the time near departure date to jump start bookings. If the entire ship could cancel and rebook at that low rate there would not be any cruise line that would be in business.

So go an enjoy this cruise and stop trying to ruin your vacation even before it starts.

I periodically check the price of my cabin just in case I can upgrade. Other than when I sail Carnival and book Early Saver, I don't expect anything after final payment (except the possibility of an upgrade). The fare for my category on the Jade has gone up about $350 since final payment, but that doesn't stop me from checking now and then.

It sounds to me like the OP misunderstood the policy and didn't realize that the refunds for price drops are before final payment.

Will they be across the hall from you if that happens? They might be on a different deck. Keep your fingers crossed for a full suite upsell at a great bargain!

coka

It already happened. When I call for an upgrade, I already have the cabin picked out in close proximity. If I can't be close to them, I don't make the change. The balcony was technically 40 dollars more than the inside at that point but since we upgraded to a balcony we received an onboard credit of $50.00 with that room so we actually made $10.00 net because of the upgrade. If the price goes down low enough to upsell to a min-suite for them that would be even better. LOL.

If we were offered an upsell to the Haven (which we have received that very exciting call from Jessica before) we probably wouldn't take it. We like our locations and I prefer the children (12 and 15) having their own rooms to being in that tiny second room in the 2-bedroom family villa. Last year we just traveled with one child and this year we'll have two. We did enjoy Leo and Ryan but I could live without the Butler and Concierge for the extra space. At this point, we have enough lat points for the nightly chocolates and strawberries. I do miss that espresso machine though. She'd have to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. :)

Edited by cruisecritiquer