Pay early, Pay More, Get Less

synet165

It is a gamble to pay off a cruise before final payment date in case of a price drop. But my experience is usually the price drops happen AFTER final payments are due.

I don't see that as a gamble because you can cancel anytime before final payment date and re-book. :) Although, I generally don't pay until it's due. I just don't see the point in letting them hold money that could be sitting in a savings account and collecting a little more interest. I understand it gives some people peace of mind just to have it all out of the way and then there's no risk of missing your PIF date by accident and losing your reservation.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I never understood why people bother to check the price after final payment. You know darn well you are not entitled to a refund, or anything. Why do you even check??

I called on an Epic cruise when the prices dropped after FP and got an upgrade. Did the same on a Celebrity cruise.

...Extremely rude persons....

Some people...

Large type. Bold letters.

Writing to the CEO about a reasonable policy they do not like.

People that agreed to a price, were happy with it, but now want a better deal.

Who is rude?

I never understood why people bother to check the price after final payment. You know darn well you are not entitled to a refund, or anything. Why do you even check??

I watch it for upgrade opportunities. I've gone from a balcony to a suite on RCCL just by watching prices. And other times the prices drop but they are for "new bookings only". But I know I won't get money back but I would always be interested in a better cabin.

Seems like pretty much all lines have the same rules regarding price drops after final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a gamble to pay off a cruise before final payment date in case of a price drop. But my experience is usually the price drops happen AFTER final payments are due. NCL is not going to give you full rebate on the price change. If they did that, the entire ship would do that and the cruise line would be out of business. Cruise prices are supply and demand. HOWEVER, NCL is pretty good at upgrades and it appears they did offer the OP an upgrade but the OP was not happy where it was. Sometimes NCL will also throw in some OBC but it is not going to be equal to the entire price drop. For example my price drop was $800 and I got $140 OBC. I was HAPPY :)

My current cruise has went up over $800 so I am guessing I don't have to worry about price drops. So in my case it does pay to book early ;)

My advice to the OP is go and enjoy your cruise. How often do we price flights and we don't book only to find the next day the price went way up and we are kicking ourselves why we did not book when the flight was so low. There is nothing you can do about it. It is life. Life is not fair. Cruising is a business. Extremely low cruise prices happen all the time near departure date to jump start bookings. If the entire ship could cancel and rebook at that low rate there would not be any cruise line that would be in business.

So go an enjoy this cruise and stop trying to ruin your vacation even before it starts.

IMHO this is good advice. :) I just recently booked a flight that I thought was a good fare. The next day (!!!) it was $50 less and still is. However, it could have also gone up much more as another flight I booked did; it went up $300 the next day.

I book cruises and flights that I think are a good value and how much I am willing to pay. Most times it works out well; sometimes not but I am OK with it. I chose to pay what I did.

Enjoy your cruise and trust your own judgment; IMHO it really all comes out in the wash. :p

Have a great time on your cruise!!!!:D

Some people...

Who is rude?

Excellent question

I don't see that as a gamble because you can cancel anytime before final payment date and re-book. :) Although, I generally don't pay until it's due. I just don't see the point in letting them hold money that could be sitting in a savings account and collecting a little more interest. I understand it gives some people peace of mind just to have it all out of the way and then there's no risk of missing your PIF date by accident and losing your reservation.

You are right. I meant to mention cancelling prior to final payment being paid. I was talking about what happens after final payment but I was not clear and typing a ramble :eek:

Some people...

Who is rude?

Agree. Similar to all caps.

I am looking at an upgrade opportunity after final payment on my upcoming Getaway cruise. I have read that to upgrade, your reservation is essentially rebooked. I am concerned that I will lose all of my existing dining and show reservations along with the free UDP and OBC perks if I upgrade.

For those of you who have upgraded after final payment, did all of your show/dining reservations and promo perks stay with your new booking?

I am looking at an upgrade opportunity after final payment on my upcoming Getaway cruise. I have read that to upgrade, your reservation is essentially rebooked. I am concerned that I will lose all of my existing dining and show reservations along with the free UDP and OBC perks if I upgrade.

For those of you who have upgraded after final payment, did all of your show/dining reservations and promo perks stay with your new booking?

The promo perks will certainly go. They will be replaced with whatever promotional offerings are available at the time of re-booking. The rep will likely re-book your show and dining reservations during the process.

No, Princess doesn't give money back (or an OBC). I asked on my cruise earlier this year. Like the majority of other lines, you can upgrade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When I booked our upcoming cruise directly with Princess in Dec. 2013 I was told they'd match any price drops. Had gotten a couple of small ones before final payment, after final called in about a substantial drop and received $840 credit on our credit card + $200 on board credit.

I watch prices until I leave for the ship ;)

Eh, I'm with the OP on this one. The policy needs to change. On the past two cruises, price has dropped significantly after final payment. Makes me very hesitant to ever book early again as it probably does many others. That is a lose for NCL as their goal is to fill ships as early as possible.

I check so that I can upgrade to the next cabin category if the price for the next cabin category is reduced to the amount I paid for my stateroom. They will give you upgrades under those circumstances.

Call me crazy, but I always book the cabin that I want when booking my cruise :confused:

Last fall the price of our cabin went down $300.00 after final payment. We were in a 2BR family suite on the Dawn and they gave us $150.00 OBC. Our TA checked when I read on here about the price drop. I thought that was nice and of course was used as it was also non-refundable. As a side note Princess has never offered anything after final payment and I've never asked. We do book way in advance as a general rule so I do watch before final payment.

We only grabbed this trip because the aft cabins were available and we got the kids sail free. However they have added yet more perks with dinners, wine (yucky stuff), spa credit & strawberries. It states though for new bookings so wouldn't even ask as we booked Sept. 2nd. and final payment was due right away.

Eh, I'm with the OP on this one. The policy needs to change. On the past two cruises, price has dropped significantly after final payment. Makes me very hesitant to ever book early again as it probably does many others. That is a lose for NCL as their goal is to fill ships as early as possible.

I believe their goal is to sail as profitably as possible. Filling early might be nice, but the bottom line is the goal for a public corporation.

Sometimes prices go up; sometimes prices go down. Some people might longer remember the times prices go down.

The ball is in the consumer's court...

If you want to lock in a date, cabin and price, book early and watch for price drops until final payment.

If you do not feel the need to lock in sailing date, cabin and price, by all means wait and book as late as you dare. Maybe you will catch the bottom of the prices. Or maybe you'll miss it. Both have happened to me.

Or there is a hybrid option; it might work for some who need to lock in dates to get airfare, schedule time off, etc but who are flexible on cabins. If one believes demand will be slack for a cruise you are watching, one could lock in the sail date by booking the least expensive acceptable cabin early. With the date locked, in one can confidently buy airline tickets, prepaid hotels, etc. Then watch for price drops until final payment and watch for upgrade opportunities after final payment.

Absolutely filling early is a goal. Fill the ships, get the revenue on the books. Their current policy is counter to that goal. If enough people are getting pissed off, they run the risk of not only last-minute booking but also alienating & losing customers. I think a policy change is needed. If you don't, that's your opinion.

Call me crazy, but I always book the cabin that I want when booking my cruise :confused:

Nothing crazy about that. If you want a specific cabin, then by all means book it.

Others may be more flexible and more price sensitive. Over the course of 50+ cruises, we have sailed in everything from an inside to a suite; we have enjoyed every single cruise. We do enjoy a nicer cabin, but do not need one every sailing. So if an inside is offered at a great price, we might book it; we will be happy just to be on the ship. If later the price of a OV, balcony, or suite drops, we might very well upgrade. If prices rise rather than fall, we will stick with a basic inside. There is always another cruise just around the corner, and we can always snag a nicer cabin the next time. Different strokes. Or maybe you want to call me crazy.

Absolutely filling early is a goal. Fill the ships, get the revenue on the books. Their current policy is counter to that goal. If enough people are getting pissed off, they run the risk of not only last-minute booking but also alienating & losing customers. I think a policy change is needed. If you don't, that's your opinion.

Do you really think filling early is more important to cruiselines than maximizing profits? :rolleyes:

Early booking (before final payment) are just deposits, not full revenue. In fact, when I book early NCL does not get any more cash. I buy cruise rewards while on board, so NCL is already holding my cash (relatively small amounts of cash at that). When I book early, I apply a reward, so NCL gets no additional revenue until final payment.

People hate to see the price drop but pat themselves on the back when prices rise. If NCL was the only cruiseline that had this policy, they would risk alienating & losing customers, but since most cruiselines have similar policies, I do not think that is such a big risk.

Of course, if you really dislike the policy, there are options...perhaps Carnival early saver suits you better. Or maybe a land vacation suits you better. Or maybe you should wait longer to book.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I've been around these parts for awhile, but I still never understand these complaints about price drops. It's simply a choice. If you want to try and make sure you get the lowest price, then book late. Sure, you might end up locked out of a cabin/category you want and it's always possible the price would go up (but unlikely these days), but if that's what is most important then don't book early. As someone mentioned above, you can always book your air, hotels, and make other arrangements for the week you want to cruise at any time. When you get the price you want, book it, and go and enjoy your cruise.

If, on the other hand, a particular cabin/category/location is more important, then book early, hope to catch price drops before final payment, and after final payment be happy that you got your preferred cabin at a rate you found acceptable. Chuckle and shake your head with a wry smile at the lucky people who got a cheaper rate but know in your heart that the extra money was worth it to you to get that cabin. Then go and enjoy your cruise.

It just doesn't seem that complicated to me. But then I'm clearly missing something.

According to NCL, their current policy is fully supporting that goal. From their 2013 Annual Report:

We are able to generate significant levels of cash flow due to our ability to pre-sell tickets and receive customer deposits with long lead times ahead of sailings.

Edited by justhere

I guess I'll just repeat myself.

I booked a MA Mini-Suite and an inside across the hall for the children. I am happy with our cabin selection in the Mini-Suite. The children were just happy to have their own space. If an upgrade never came, we would STILL be perfectly happy. However, being able to upgrade the children to a balcony is certainly a plus and I'm not sure why anyone would care if I'm able to take advantage of that. :rolleyes: I was in fact able to upgrade the children to a balcony by only paying $40.00. Why does that bother you? It is no different than the upsell fairy calling at a later date to try and move people into higher categories so they can sell the cheaper cabins closer to sailing. I assume you must always book in the Haven or if you don't and you received a call from the upsell fairy, you would decline out of sheer principle.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I guess I'll just repeat myself.

I booked a MA Mini-Suite and an inside across the hall for the children. I am happy with our cabin selection in the Mini-Suite. The children were just happy to have their own space. If an upgrade never came, we would STILL be perfectly happy. However, being able to upgrade the children to a balcony is certainly a plus and I'm not sure why anyone would care if I'm able to take advantage of that. :rolleyes: I was in fact able to upgrade the children to a balcony by only paying $40.00. Why does that bother you? It is no different than the upsell fairy calling at a later date to try and move people into higher categories so they can sell the cheaper cabins closer to sailing. I assume you must always book in the Haven or if you don't and you received a call from the upsell fairy, you would decline out of sheer principle.

<sigh> Must be a full moon today. :rolleyes: