"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

As I have stated before

IMOO within 5 years there will be no complementary options for dinning!

All will be pay as you eat just like a restaurant on shore, except these will have a captive customer base, therefore much more expensive!

YES this also includes the windjammer!

Now the RCI champions and thought police will be attacking!

I agree as well, although I see it slightly different. I think the WJ will be no extra charge, and all the full-service restaurants will be an extra charge.

As I have stated before

IMOO within 5 years there will be no complementary options for dinning!

All will be pay as you eat just like a restaurant on shore, except these will have a captive customer base, therefore much more expensive!

YES this also includes the windjammer!

Now the RCI champions and thought police will be attacking!

As you also stated before under your 7 or 8 different aliases here? :rolleyes:

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ryano

I agree- I posted this on some thread, not sure where- My guess is that at some point the cruise fare will include room and transportation only

I agree as well, although I see it slightly different. I think the WJ will be no extra charge, and all the full-service restaurants will be an extra charge.

Wont happen.

Why not?

I don't see how you all can even possibly come to this conclusion all over the concept of Dynamic Dining where they remove the MDR and put in several INCLUDED options in its place.

In fact, Im willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I fully expect to be here in 5 years, still cruising on Royal Caribbean.

I've got a crisp 100 dollar bill that says that by 9-9-2019, there will STILL be many different dining options (full service venues) on board that do NOT require an upcharge.

Any takers?

Edited by ryano

I don't see how you all can even possibly come to this conclusion all over the concept of Dynamic Dining where they remove the MDR and put in several INCLUDED options in its place.

I've got a crisp 100 dollar bill that says that by 9-9-2019, there will STILL be many different dining options (full service venues) on board that do NOT require an upcharge.

Any takers?

We'll see.

I honestly don't believe we have to worry about RCI doing away with the complimentary restaurants. It seems that RCI is heading more toward attracting families, or a younger generation of cruisers with the newer and larger ships and young families cannot afford to take their whole families out to a specialty restaurant night after night. RCI knows that. On the other hand, having a flexible dining schedule will make it easier for families with young children and I bet RCI knows that, too.;)

I am hoping that RCI will continue to offer both forms of cruise styles, with the larger ships (Voyager Class and up) offering DD and the smaller ships with the two level dining rooms only (Radiance Class and down) offering Traditional/MTD. That way a choice will be available for all cruisers. If not, perhaps the Celebrity brand of the RCI family will remain as the Traditional cruise line while the RCI ships continue with the more innovative theme. Either way, their business model will propel them to go where the money is, and families will not put their money where dining out onboard becomes cost prohibitive.

Any takers?

Make it 50k to be held in escrow by a mutually approved bank and you got a bet!

Please explaine your reasoning as to why it won't happen!

Once the cruise industry starts charging for ALL food on board, it no longer has the attraction nor is the cost effective vacation it is today. All inclusive resorts become MUCH more attractable IMHO. I know we have those around here that say "I dont cruise for the food" but clearly there are MANY who do.

Secondly, and someone can correct me if Im wrong but it is my understanding that the specialty dining venues already struggle somewhat and have a hard time filling the venue except for prime dining times.

I just don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that within 5 years they will start charging for all food on board. Especially basing said opinion on a dining concept that will remove ONE traditional dining room adding at least three included venues in its place.

These are nothing more than my opinions but the offer on my bet still stands :)

If you truly are NOT a past member that keeps getting banned only to sign back on with other aliases then my sincere apology for the accusation, Sir.

Edited by ryano

Any takers?

I'll bet $0 that your crisp $100 bill won't be still "crisp" on 9-9-2019.;)

Once the cruise industry starts charging for ALL food on board, it no longer has the attraction nor is the cost effective vacation it is today. All inclusive resorts become MUCH more attractable IMHO. I know we have those around here that say "I dont cruise for the food" but clearly there are MANY who do.

Secondly, and someone can correct me if Im wrong but it is my understanding that the specialty dining venues already struggle somewhat and have a hard time filling the venue except for prime dining times.

I just don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that within 5 years they will start charging for all food on board. Especially basing said opinion on a dining concept that will remove ONE traditional dining room adding at least three included venues in its place.

If you truly are NOT a past member that keeps getting banned only to sign back on with other aliases then my sincere apology for the accusation, Sir.

Thank you sir your apology is accepted

Even tho we have differing opinions I respect your opinion and will fight anyone that says you are not entitled to it

I heard Johnny Rockets was "complimentary" when it was introduced. Since sailing with Royal Caribbean, there's been a service charge that has gone up twice. Still cheaper than on land, but an extra charge nonetheless.

A ship that did 11 hour crossings between Portland, ME and Yarmouth, NS included ship transportation only. A cabin cost extra. MDR extra. Food a la carte extra. So it wouldn't surprise me if these "complimentary" options become extra charge in the not too distant future.

Most airlines included checked luggage in the past. Now they charge an extra fee for 2 or more checked bags. Some charge for the 1st checked bag, and even carry-ons.:eek:

Currently when booking entertainment they have a $0 fee, but it is an option to charge you in the future. Wouldn't surprise me if the Windjammer is the only "complimentary" option, and the sit down waitstaff restaurants will be offered as an extra charge "package" when reserving the cruise. So instead of a cruise price being $1000 with meals included; the price could be $900, but the meals will cost an extra $350 for a total of $1250 for the same cruise (as a non-scientific example). If you want entertainment, add it to base fare.

They've already done it to the drink packages. Before they included gratuity in the price. Now they don't include gratuity, so the price looks lower. When you add the gratuity on top of the lower price you're paying more than when the gratuity was included.

Edited by TM38Rob

Wouldn't surprise me if the Windjammer is the only "complimentary" option,.

That would be a terrible decision IMHO. The Windjammer, at least to me, is not even of the quality of our local Golden Corral. Not to mention the food selection is weak at best. I avoid the place if at all possible.

Unlike those that said they would never sail on an Oasis class ship but did, or those who said they would cancel ALL RCI cruises because of their new smoking policy but DID NOT or those who said they would no longer sail on RCI if Dynamic Dining is rolled out fleetwide but most likely will, I can honestly and truthfully say that I would never roll back on to a RCI ship again if they go to an all pay for all food concept. Not even if the Windjammer is "free".

As much as I LOVE cruising on RCI, I will start doing AI resorts if that happens. But I seriously dont think I have anything to worry about :) I just dont see it happening. But hey, Ive been wrong, plenty of times before!

Edited by ryano

I recently read an article about how cruise lines are constantly looking for ways to entice customers to cruise rather than go to a land based resort. Since that seems to be a very reasonable statement, I can't see Royal going all for-fee dining, unless: 1.) The whole industry has a drastic change regarding dining or 2.) They gave up on competing with land resorts. IMO, it just wouldn't be a good business move,especially in the next 5 years.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I think RCL would love to go to an all paid restaurant concept, but that it'll never happen. They will walk a fine line to encourage as many people as possible to go to the up charge restaurants, while at the same time trying to keep as many people as possible from swearing off RCL.

But the whole concept of cruising will fall apart if all food becomes an upcharge, and it would be very hard to get new cruisers. It is completely different than airlines, because generally people have to fly, especially for corporate traveling where the majority of the revenue comes from. No body has to go on a cruise, if they make the experience too unpleasant or expensive people will go elsewhere.

So I agree with the person that said they will make DD just as annoying as required to fill up the specialty restaurants.

I think after a few months they will have to do something with the menus, the 3 menus available on most ships would get old quick.

Edited by OSUZorba

So I agree with the person that said they will make DD just as annoying as required to fill up the specialty restaurants.

'Annoying' your customers has never proven to be a successful business model.

You can 'bet your bippie' that RCI has done extensive market research on customer expectations and desires. It appears that RCI believes their customers want something other than the classic MDR experience. RCI is doing this to please, not to annoy, their customers.

RCI is trying to differentiate Royal from the other cruise lines and it appears RCI is willing to make a very big bet that the majority will prefer Dynamic Dining. Time will tell if Dynamic Dining is the "New Coke" of cruising.

Any takers?

I think charging for every restaurant except the WJ would put RCI at a competitive disadvantage to All inclusive land resorts.

'Annoying' your customers has never proven to be a successful business model.

You can 'bet your bippie' that RCI has done extensive market research on customer expectations and desires. It appears that RCI believes their customers want something other than the classic MDR experience. RCI is doing this to please, not to annoy, their customers.

RCI is trying to differentiate Royal from the other cruise lines and it appears RCI is willing to make a very big bet that the majority will prefer Dynamic Dining. Time will tell if Dynamic Dining is the "New Coke" of cruising.

Wal-Mart and every airline proves you can be a successful business and annoy your customers.

By annoy, I mean there will be a certain set of people that will not want to stand in line for 10 minutes or make reservations ahead of time, so they will do fee dining or WJ instead. But on the other hand, few people would stop cruising you because of a 10 minute line. Therefore, you annoy people enough to fill up the fee restaurants, without loosing customers.

Wal-Mart knows how long the average person will stand in line, before abandoning their cart, they then only hire just enough cashiers to keep the lines below that mark.

I honestly don't believe we have to worry about RCI doing away with the complimentary restaurants. It seems that RCI is heading more toward attracting families, or a younger generation of cruisers with the newer and larger ships and young families cannot afford to take their whole families out to a specialty restaurant night after night. RCI knows that. On the other hand, having a flexible dining schedule will make it easier for families with young children and I bet RCI knows that, too.;).......their business model will propel them to go where the money is, and families will not put their money where dining out onboard becomes cost prohibitive.

I voiced a similar opinion in a previous post. There are 4 people in our family, and we need to do some pre-planning in order to stay within our budget. When we cruised on the Oasis 2 years ago, we didn't eat in any of the extra-fee restaurants, and were quite happy with the choices on the MDR menu. Last year I sailed with a different daughter, and we were happy with the MTD.

As for pre-paying the gratuities, if you don't do that, RCI will add a $12 charge to your account each day for gratuities - to be split among the various service positions. If you have any problems that justify leaving a smaller amount for a specific employee, you can go to (whoever it is :confused:) and ask that a certain portion be credited back to your account. RCI definitely isn't leaving it up to the whims of every passenger to hand out appropriate gratuities on the final day. I don't understand why pre-paying the gratuities upsets some people. We chose to pre-pay them on our previous cruises, just for the convenience of keeping track of any other expenditures that might be charged at the end of the cruise. We liked knowing that "everything" was already paid for - except for anything extra we might choose to purchase.

If all the dining options came with a fee, I could see it leading to people buying one dinner and sharing it with a child, or having to order everything à la carte. ..."I'll have the steak and mashed potatoes, but I don't want the carrots (so don't charge me for them). I'd like one piece of cheesecake, but please bring two plates so we can share it." OMG what a nightmare that would be for the waiters and "cashiers".

When we went to Disney World (where all the food is pay-as-you-go), we took our own snacks and sandwiches, and never ate in any of the restaurants. Of course, a day at WDW isn't the same as a 7-day cruise, but you get the point. As has been mentioned in previous posts, some of the extra-fee dining establishments haven't had as many customers as they wished. Even if they were full every night, this tells me that the majority of cruisers prefer to eat where all the food is included in the cruise cost. In my humble opinion, eliminating this option would discourage many people from cruising, and wouldn't benefit the cruise lines. With DD, I think RCI is trying to offer a variety of "complimentary" restaurants, to make cruising on those ships even more interesting. We'll be sailing again on the Oasis in late February, and I hope DD is phased in by then, so we can check it out.

Royal Caribbean is too busy trying to copy Disney and Norwegian that they've lost sight of the land based all-inclusive resorts at the islands they may visit. They've been moving from AI to a la carte for some time now. All-inclusive means all meals, all drinks, all entertainment are included in the price. Royal Caribbean only includes some beverages like water & lemonade, and advertises that most meals are covered in the cruise fare.

Not sure about alcohol, but I've heard soda was included in the price as far back as 2000. Johnny Rockets was "complimentary" back when it debuted. 24 hour Room Service was included when I first sailed them in 2008. The MDR also had quality food.

Today, Coke is sold by the can or buy a package for fountain soda. Alcohol is sold by the drink, and drink packages are now available. The quality of steaks went down when they introduced options to purchase steaks from Chops Grille while dining in the MDR, even on ships without a Chops Grille! The service charge was added to Johnny Rockets supposedly because kids and teens were ordering meals and then leaving JR before the food arrived. Room Service now has a service charge from midnight to 6AM because people would fall asleep before they arrived with the food.

The Cupcake Cupboard was introduced with a $5 fee to control demand for the product and NOT to make an extra profit, according to a former Royal Caribbean VP. If they can find an excuse, they will use it to their advantage.

In another thread about the Classics menu (Always available menu currently in the MDR) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094196; the response received about if there would one with Dynamic Dining is The American Icon Grill and Chops Grille. Customer service is already trying to get people who don't like the menus in the foodie-type "complementary" restaurants to pay extra for simple food in Chops. Already proving the point that Dynamic Dining is just a ploy to get more people to eat in specialty restaurants.

Don't be surprised if you see a more detailed invoice when booking a cruise in the future, with the cruise fare showing the amount for the stateroom and another price for the "complementary" food.

On ships with Dynamic Dining, people's choices are limited to their tastes. Coastal Kitchen is for suites only. Chic and Silk appeal to a limited audience. While The Grande's dress code enforcement may get toned downed, many newbies (or casual cruisers) may avoid this restaurant if they THINK is will be strictly enforced. That leaves them with the American Icon Grill. If the American Icon Grill (or any of the other "complementary" restaurants) gets to be too popular and the extra charge restaurants don't see a significant increase in diners, then you might see a charge for that restaurant (American Icon Grill) to "control demand" and "not to make an extra profit". Maybe your first reservation at that restaurant will be $0 when booking, but eat their again and pay $10 a visit ($20 at first, but then lowered to $10 when people complain). Many people might not notice the one in front of the zero and think it's still "complementary", until they get the bill at the end of the cruise.

Next will be a surcharge to book in advance. Then, to compete with the land based Disney Dining Plan, Royal Caribbean will offer the Royal Dining Plan. Instead of a "Kids Sail Free" promotion (currently 3rd and 4th person "free"), the promotion will be Kids Eat Free when you purchase the Royal Dining Plan six months in advance. Couples, we'll offer you Buy One Royal Dining Plan and get 50% the second one. Singles, what do you mean you're not sailing with anyone else? We don't want your business (we want your business, but we want you to bring somebody with you). That's why we are running the BOGOHO promotion and only charging couples 150% while we gouge you for 200%. Now we'll give you double C&A points, but you are going to dine alone. We assumed you wanted solitude. Also, no discount for you on the already "valued" Royal Dining Plan we offer to everyone else not sailing solo because you could get somebody to sail with you and (not necessary) spend more money onboard.

Royal Caribbean is too busy trying to copy Disney and Norwegian that they've lost sight of the land based all-inclusive resorts at the islands they may visit. They've been moving from AI to a la carte for some time now. All-inclusive means all meals, all drinks, all entertainment are included in the price. Royal Caribbean only includes some beverages like water & lemonade, and advertises that most meals are covered in the cruise fare.

Not sure about alcohol, but I've heard soda was included in the price as far back as 2000. Johnny Rockets was "complimentary" back when it debuted. 24 hour Room Service was included when I first sailed them in 2008. The MDR also had quality food.

Today, Coke is sold by the can or buy a package for fountain soda. Alcohol is sold by the drink, and drink packages are now available. The quality of steaks went down when they introduced options to purchase steaks from Chops Grille while dining in the MDR, even on ships without a Chops Grille! The service charge was added to Johnny Rockets supposedly because kids and teens were ordering meals and then leaving JR before the food arrived. Room Service now has a service charge from midnight to 6AM because people would fall asleep before they arrived with the food.

The Cupcake Cupboard was introduced with a $5 fee to control demand for the product and NOT to make an extra profit, according to a former Royal Caribbean VP. If they can find an excuse, they will use it to their advantage.

In another thread about the Classics menu (Always available menu currently in the MDR) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094196; the response received about if there would one with Dynamic Dining is The American Icon Grill and Chops Grille. Customer service is already trying to get people who don't like the menus in the foodie-type "complementary" restaurants to pay extra for simple food in Chops. Already proving the point that Dynamic Dining is just a ploy to get more people to eat in specialty restaurants.

Don't be surprised if you see a more detailed invoice when booking a cruise in the future, with the cruise fare showing the amount for the stateroom and another price for the "complementary" food.

On ships with Dynamic Dining, people's choices are limited to their tastes. Coastal Kitchen is for suites only. Chic and Silk appeal to a limited audience. While The Grande's dress code enforcement may get toned downed, many newbies (or casual cruisers) may avoid this restaurant if they THINK is will be strictly enforced. That leaves them with the American Icon Grill. If the American Icon Grill (or any of the other "complementary" restaurants) gets to be too popular and the extra charge restaurants don't see a significant increase in diners, then you might see a charge for that restaurant (American Icon Grill) to "control demand" and "not to make an extra profit". Maybe your first reservation at that restaurant will be $0 when booking, but eat their again and pay $10 a visit ($20 at first, but then lowered to $10 when people complain). Many people might not notice the one in front of the zero and think it's still "complementary", until they get the bill at the end of the cruise.

Next will be a surcharge to book in advance. Then, to compete with the land based Disney Dining Plan, Royal Caribbean will offer the Royal Dining Plan. Instead of a "Kids Sail Free" promotion (currently 3rd and 4th person "free"), the promotion will be Kids Eat Free when you purchase the Royal Dining Plan six months in advance. Couples, we'll offer you Buy One Royal Dining Plan and get 50% the second one. Singles, what do you mean you're not sailing with anyone else? We don't want your business (we want your business, but we want you to bring somebody with you). That's why we are running the BOGOHO promotion and only charging couples 150% while we gouge you for 200%. Now we'll give you double C&A points, but you are going to dine alone. We assumed you wanted solitude. Also, no discount for you on the already "valued" Royal Dining Plan we offer to everyone else not sailing solo because you could get somebody to sail with you and (not necessary) spend more money onboard.

Excellent post!