Best ports in Western Mediterranean

My husband and I are planning to cruise the western Mediterranean about a year from now and would like advice on the best itinerary/ports. We cruised the eastern med 4 years ago and would like to avoid repeating ports (Messina, Athens, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples). Any advice would be appreciated.

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. Read up on the ports on the western itineraries and decide where you want to visit the most. Then look for a ship with the itinerary closest to your dream one. EM

Lisbon to/from Rome with extended pre/post hotel nights.

Lisbon is a beautiful city with great historical significance and architectural splendor. It is also far more manageable than Barcelona. Rome.... It's ROME - the eternal city.

As for port stops in between. I highly recommend anything that allows you to tour Pompeii.

For me, however, the ideal western Med cruise would include a circumnavigation of Sicily.

If you sail Barcelona to Rome (or Lisbon to Rome, which is less common), you're unlikely to duplicate many of your previous ports, with the possible exception of Naples.

As to which are the "best" -- that's highly subjective. For example, many people like Livorno, but it's a long way from the port to the attractions of Florence (90 minutes).

I'd suggest you look at some possible itineraries, check out the ports offered, and see what appeals.

Make sure you include Venice if you haven't been before.

OP wanted Western Med. - Venice is most definitely Eastern Med..:D

But, having said that, Venice has to be one of the best ports in the world to sail into/out of/visit.

I love cruising - I have taken many and will take many more. That being said - I can't even imagine cruising in Europe - I would feel like I was running around just checking off places - yep been there! You get so little time at each stop and the actual place you want to go may be 1, 2 or more hours travel from the port leaving you even less time for your actual time somewhere.

Traveling within Europe is so easy and being able to spend even 3 nights in the same place it becomes a whole different experience. Having the time to sit in a cafe and linger over a glass or two of wine and chat with a local - many do speak English - gives one a whole new perspective on a country.

We have been 9 times for a total of 20 weeks and are currently planning a 9 week trip plus a 15 night TA home. I know for some folks traveling in Europe yourselves can be intimidating but it is far easier than many imagine.

A pp mentioned getting Rick Steve's cruise port book - I'd go one further and say start watching his show - many episodes are available online and you can always catch him on PBS.

Just offering a different perspective.

Did the Western Med 3 times so far

always from/to Barcelona with Norwegian Cruise Line.

Next year they do

Naples: the City is not the best, but a great Gateway to Pompeji or Capri

Civitaveccia: Port for going to Rome

Livorno: Port for Florence/Pisa. There is great excursion to the "Cinque Terre" / In my oppinion the best. If you are interest in Art though, you have to go to Florence

Cannes: a lovely City

Provence: Port for Marseille

I would recommend to have a day or two in Barcelona before you get on the ship. It's a great City.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already visited Venice & Barcelona on previous trips (non cruise) but my husband did not and we both have already toured Pompeii when we stopped in Naples on our Eastern Med cruise. The itinerary we are tentatively looking at starts in Rome, Florence (La Spezia), Nice, Barcelona, Gibralter, Malaga, Cartegena, Ibizia ending back in Rome. Any input on these ports?

I love cruising - I have taken many and will take many more. That being said - I can't even imagine cruising in Europe - I would feel like I was running around just checking off places - yep been there! You get so little time at each stop and the actual place you want to go may be 1, 2 or more hours travel from the port leaving you even less time for your actual time somewhere.

Traveling within Europe is so easy and being able to spend even 3 nights in the same place it becomes a whole different experience. Having the time to sit in a cafe and linger over a glass or two of wine and chat with a local - many do speak English - gives one a whole new perspective on a country.

We have been 9 times for a total of 20 weeks and are currently planning a 9 week trip plus a 15 night TA home. I know for some folks traveling in Europe yourselves can be intimidating but it is far easier than many imagine.

A pp mentioned getting Rick Steve's cruise port book - I'd go one further and say start watching his show - many episodes are available online and you can always catch him on PBS.

Just offering a different perspective.

I've traveled (and cruised) in Europe for most of my life. I think cruising in the Mediterranean CAN be rewarding for those who want to get a feel for certain places and see which ones really appeal to them for future land trips.

For example, I'd always wanted to visit Egypt but hesitated a bit to do it on a land trip as a solo. But after taking a Med cruise with stops there, I realized I felt safe enough and interested enough to go back on a land tour. (And have been back four times since...) Or Turkey: somehow I never realized how many wonderful Roman and Greek ruins are in Turkey; after a port stop in Ephesus I arranged a long trip to Turkey on my own. (And again have been back several times.)

Finally, I think there are certain places (e.g., some Greek islands, Canaries, etc.) where a day is plenty to get a feel for the place and enjoy what it has to offer.

DH and I thought the same as you, but then found a HAL cruise from Barcelona to Venice which we loved. Barcelona, a few French ports of call, Monaco, Calvi, and ports on the Croatian coast ending in Venice. There were a few ports duplicated, but we opted to do different things than we have done before. I guess it also depends on how long you want your cruise to be. We absolutely loved Croatia. The cruise was "Mediterranean and Adriatic Explorer".

Some ports you may consider are Rome, Nice/Ville De France; LIvorno, Barcelona, Cadiz, Gilbrater, Lisbon.... we have visited most ports along the southern spain coast... all very enjoyable.

It is possible to go between Barcelona and London; Barcelona and venice; Barcelona and Rome. Another option is transatlantics... if you have time. Either to or from Europe... sometimes you can get a lot of nice ports along the way in and out of Barcelona or Rome.