Tips/Hints for First Time Oceania cruisers

cruiserchuck

We are starting to pack for our first Oceania cruise next month, and wondered if there is any reason to bring a jacket/tie for men. It is my understanding that they are not required, but I wonder if I will feel out of place without them. I would prefer not to pack them, to save space and weight.

I would also appreciate any tips/secrets that any seasoned Oceania cruisers could provide to us first timers about Oceania.

Thanks.

We are starting to pack for our first Oceania cruise next month, and wondered if there is any reason to bring a jacket/tie for men. It is my understanding that they are not required, but I wonder if I will feel out of place without them. I would prefer not to pack them, to save space and weight.

I would also appreciate any tips/secrets that any seasoned Oceania cruisers could provide to us first timers about Oceania.

Thanks.

If you prefer not pack them or wear them, then don't. You won't feel out of place. Personally, I like to wear a sport coat occasionally (but never a tie!) and usually pack one. I choose to wear it on a personal whim, not for any special occasion or restaurant. I've had dinner with captains with and without a jacket. Formal for me is wearing socks; I usually wear dressy, closed-toe fisherman style sandals at dinner and casual open sandals in the daytime.

We usually travel with just carry-on luggage and I manage to find room for a jacket. We're on the 6 month world cruise, and of course will be taking much more luggage, so I plan to bring 3 or 4 sport coats just for variety. I'll end up wearing one or the other about 15% of the time.

As for tips or hints, that might depend on whether you are sailing on the smaller or larger ships.

Tip:

Just enjoy Oceania for what it is & do not compare to other lines ;)

No TIE ever

Jacket only if you choose to bring one

Food is subjective & there are other threads on what people like or dislike

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

I remember our dinner in the GDR with first-timers a few years ago. The gentleman was wearing a suit and tie. But he had observed that he was about the only man who was! So he asked about the policy, and I explained it to him.

That was the last time I saw the suit OR the tie.

Mura

It is country club casual, so the rule is that men should wear slacks (not jeans) and a collared shirt to dinner. That is all that is necessary. If you like to wear a jacket, by all means do so, but absolutely unnecessary.

Other things for first timers.

Go to the MDR for breakfast at least once and get the lamb chops.

Get the surf and turf for lunch at Waves Grill

Too many things to list in the specialty restaurants, but you will enjoy

Get to High Tea at least once

Most of all, enjoy!

If you prefer not pack them or wear them, then don't. You won't feel out of place. Personally, I like to wear a sport coat occasionally (but never a tie!) and usually pack one. I choose to wear it on a personal whim, not for any special occasion or restaurant. I've had dinner with captains with and without a jacket. Formal for me is wearing socks; I usually wear dressy, closed-toe fisherman style sandals at dinner and casual open sandals in the daytime.

We usually travel with just carry-on luggage and I manage to find room for a jacket. We're on the 6 month world cruise, and of course will be taking much more luggage, so I plan to bring 3 or 4 sport coats just for variety. I'll end up wearing one or the other about 15% of the time.

As for tips or hints, that might depend on whether you are sailing on the smaller or larger ships.

This is an interesting nuance. We are first-time Oceania cruisers and will be on one segment of the summer 2015 world cruise (Montreal-Southampton). Since it appears a good many of the passengers on that cruise will be on the entire cruise or multiple segments, is it likely that there will be a little more formal dress practice?

It is a personal choice

I have seen Tuxes, ball gowns, suits & ties, no jacket, blazers

As long as you have long pants & a collared shirt for dinner (Terrace is the exception)

Wear what you feel comfortable in

no jacket & tie required but if you like to wear them you will not be turned away or made to walk the plank

Lyn

is it likely that there will be a little more formal dress practice?

Why would there? The longer you are away, the more careful you have to be with what you pack. You can't bring everything after all. And as previously stated, the dress code is the same on short and long cruises.

This is an interesting nuance. We are first-time Oceania cruisers and will be on one segment of the summer 2015 world cruise (Montreal-Southampton). Since it appears a good many of the passengers on that cruise will be on the entire cruise or multiple segments, is it likely that there will be a little more formal dress practice?

Absolutely NOT

Jancruz1

First, I would say there will never be a "formal" dress practice on Oceania. The CEO famously said something like, "If I see someone in a tux on Oceania, I'll think it's one of the maitre 'ds." He also deliberately omitted tie racks in the closets on Marina and Riviera.

Next, there probably will be some folks who "dress up" a little more on the world cruise, at least at first, because while a lot of them have sailed previous world cruises on other lines with fancier dress codes, this may be their first time on Oceania, with its more casual dress code, and it might take them a little while to adjust. I expect to see a few tuxes and gowns in the early days. Not everyone is part of Cruise Critic, so some may not be "clued in" :).

But, this will not be the norm, and you will be comfortable wearing more casual clothing. For men, long trousers and a collared shirt are the norm, no shorts or tee shirts in the main dining room or specialty restaurants. Some have reported "nice" jeans are now accepted; I personally don't care to push the envelope that far.

The only reason I'll bring more than one sport coat is the same reason I have several; I tire of wearing the same one every time, no matter how seldom it is, and some match some shirts or trousers better than others. It's purely for myself, not anyone else's ideas of what's proper.

Thanks for the replies. I knew the policy would not vary but wondered if the practice might. On Celebrity, for example, transatlantic crossings tend to be more formal than Caribbean cruises and Med cruises fall in between.

I have pretty much stopped taking my tux on Celebrity cruises, letting my suit cover the formal nights. I like the concept of smart casual as the only dress code for a cruise. Keeps the packing challenges to a minimum.

Thanks for all the responses. We are going to be sailing on the Marina. I am probably going to pass on bringing a jacket. My wife is already looking forward to the lamb chops for breakfast.

We have been on 20 Oceania cruises and had dinner with the Captain almost every time and my husband NEVER wears a jacket and feels very comfortable..unforunately on a couple of cruises he forgot socks and didnt even wear those..needless to say that did not make me happy..but on the other hand no one ever said anything and we have always had a great time..

Jancruz1

Thanks for the replies. I knew the policy would not vary but wondered if the practice might. On Celebrity, for example, transatlantic crossings tend to be more formal than Caribbean cruises and Med cruises fall in between.

I have pretty much stopped taking my tux on Celebrity cruises, letting my suit cover the formal nights. I like the concept of smart casual as the only dress code for a cruise. Keeps the packing challenges to a minimum.

On Celebrity we always do anytime dining and again my husband does not bring a jacket or tie..living at the beach in southern California his dress is shorts morning noon and night so I am happy to get him to wear long pants..we are spoiled by the new country club casual dress and it is perfect for him..never agin will he wear a suit and tie as he doesnt even have one any more

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I think you are going to see that people pack very efficiently on the O cruises. After X number of cruises bringing everything AND the sink onboard, it becomes obvious one doesn't need all of that, and it presents a huge headache. Also many people tend to stay a little before and/or after so lugging bags around to trains/planes/etc is a consideration. Don't forget the laundry facilities - we personally like to travel with only 2 carryons and 2 backpacks for up to 2 weeks (including before/after cruise). 3-4 weeks is one checked, 1 carryon, and the same backpacks. Laundry on O is pretty affordable for pressing/dry cleaning and the self-serve works well and is $4 a wash/dry load - almost what we spend at home.

That all said, us 2 guys bring a coat ONLY if we are going to be doing something in port or before/after that requires one. For example, the Russian Ballet in Moscow. But for our upcoming 30 day Australia/NZ adventure, you can bet we WILL NOT be bringing a coat! Just no need and keeps the bag a little bit lighter and smaller. :) Country club casual is the word of the day. Nice slacks, a nice button up, maybe dress it up with a sweater, etc. Some loafers or nice deck shoes, and you are good to go. It's very casual, yet still refined. You'll see - don't over pack! :cool:

Corpkid hit the nail on the head -- the more cruises one takes, the fewer clothes are packed. We're down to one carry-on and one matching tote, that slides over the carry-on handle, each. We've traveled land and sea for up to 6 weeks with that combo. We will be taking more luggage on the World Cruise, we're not taking the kitchen sink, but I am packing a hot air popcorn popper and several pounds of popcorn.

Corpkid hit the nail on the head -- the more cruises one takes, the fewer clothes are packed. We're down to one carry-on and one matching tote, that slides over the carry-on handle, each. We've traveled land and sea for up to 6 weeks with that combo.

We do the same and have learned that no one cares if you wear the same thing several times. Also don't mind sending out or doing laundry. Life is so easy with a carry-on.