Cruising alone?

WindyFreedom

I have been on 4 cruises so far. My 5th one is in November. But yesterday, I booked my 6th cruise and have decided to go alone. Any tips on cruising alone? It's only a 4 day. So it isn't long at all but just curious if anyone thinks I will regret my decision? I'm looking fwd to it regardless. :)

I just found out I'll be cruising alone in two weeks. And we both posted a thread at the same time. I was looking for tips to save the port fees and tipping and insurance -- but now realize, after reading your post, that I'll look for tips from here too!

What is it like to cruise solo?

There is a whole section on solo sailing in the special interests thread of CC. Note that solo sailing is different that singles sailing.

Also note that solo sailing for women has many different issues (safety, dining, what others think, being ignored, being hit on, etc. etc.) that don't concern most male solo cruisers.

There is a whole section on solo sailing in the special interests thread of CC. Note that solo sailing is different that singles sailing.

Also note that solo sailing for women has many different issues (safety, dining, what others think, being ignored, being hit on, etc. etc.) that don't concern most male solo cruisers.

Never been ignored, only been "hit" once by a tablemate who announced he was looking for the next Mrs, Ex, don't care what others think but observing the jealous looks I get, most are envious. Safety in ports is a small concern but I just use ship excursions, never private taxis, stay in tourist areas and when I walk into towns it only like St Thomas, St Maarten where other cruisers or crew are walking.

You are joking right?

I have been on 4 cruises so far. My 5th one is in November. But yesterday, I booked my 6th cruise and have decided to go alone. Any tips on cruising alone? It's only a 4 day. So it isn't long at all but just curious if anyone thinks I will regret my decision? I'm looking fwd to it regardless. :)

Well that depends....

Why are you cruising solo?

Do you have someone to cruise with but want to go alone?

Any number of reasons to cruise solo and any number of reasons to enjoy it or not

I personally think solo cruising is great and no big deal. Why should it be? People do what they want and don't need a buddy all the time for everything

My spouse is becoming incredibly crotchety...primarily because his father was that way and he thinks that is just the way one is supposed to be when they get older lol...and I love doing things without him these days....btw I know plenty of wives whose husbands are this way so I also know I am not alone by any means and it's the rare long term couple or newly remarried older couple who are oh so happily married. So lets not kid ourselves on that one. Lol.

But we still have kids that are around and want to cruise so I choose not to go solo because I want to make family memories...so I cruise these days with whichever kid or kids can join me and we have a blast

It's doubtful I will ever cruise solo in the next 15 years or so because I have enough kids to grab

But if I had no one to take along and wanted to cruise solo I certainly would but the key thing for me is if wanted to cruise solo which right now I do not want to

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks all for the replies so far. I am single but I am not cruising single. I'm definitely cruising solo. The reason I chose to book a solo is because for a couple of reasons. One is I do everything alone anyway. On all 4 cruises, my friends slept all day and/or pooled all day. Which is great for them and I never minded going off and doing activities alone either. So it has never been an issue. :) I met a girl on my last cruise that was cruising solo and it really got me thinking.....

So that's the first reason. The second reason is my birthday is on Valentine's day and when I'm not in a relationship I end up spending the day alone any way. I figured why not cruise on my birthdaaaaaaaay?! How awesome will this be???? Even if I do enter a relationship before this cruise, it still doesn't sound bad to me.

I just wondered if I will regret it, still have a good experience, need any tips, things like that.. :)

You are joking right?

Karti, NO, I am not joking, just reporting what I've read in the solo threads and what I've been told sitting at over 20 solo MDR tables, sometimes as the only male.

Are you joking about me joking?

Please read the threads in the solo section that women start or reply to and compare them to us poor simpleton men cruisers. We try to understand their issues as they explain them - some of these issues just never occur to a guy solo cruiser.

Hi all!

WindyFreedom ~ sounds pretty much like you were almost sailing solo with your friends. I've done 30+ cruises & 1/2 of them have been solo as DH doesn't like cruising as much as I do.

I choose a large table for dining so there's company at dinner but otherwise do what I want alone. Even when I do cruise with DH we only usually meet up for meals as we have different interests.

I also do ship's excursions or ones arranged by a roll call member, not venturing out alone in ports.

One thing I found useful was to go on the ship tour the 1st day & if there aren't too many people doing it you'll meet a crew member who will be friendly & remember your name.

Solo cruising is great, you can do what you want when you want!:D

~ Jo ~ :)

Karti, NO, I am not joking, just reporting what I've read in the solo threads and what I've been told sitting at over 20 solo MDR tables, sometimes as the only male.

Please read the threads in the solo section that women start or reply to and compare them to us poor simpleton men cruisers. We try to understand their issues as they explain them - some of these issues just never occur to a guy solo cruiser.

I have been on at least 20 cruises alone and have never had any problems whatsover. I find your comment to be a bit dramatic. The issues you brought up happen every day, not just on a cruise ship and women handle them . So, no, I am not joking about your joking.

Windy,you will have a great time. It is very relaxing and not have to worry about what everyone else wants to do is great. Total "me" time. I love cruising with friends but for total relaxation I always go solo.

Enjoy!

If you have assigned dining, wait about 5 minutes to go to the table or you might find yourself sitting alone for a while which can feel uncomfortable. I've been at 10 tops with only one other person for 7 nights! I've also done your time and sat alone and had a great time. I take a book.

If you take excursions which are far away (like Tulum out of Cozumel) stick with ship excursions so you aren't left behind. Otherwise, get a lead on the ports section for a local company.

Ask for ice the first day or you won't get any.

Talk to strangers, it can be fun!

I think I have done about 5 solo cruises now (plus a few solo land trips). I love them. They have all been wildly different depending on my mood. On some I have been very social and met a ton of people. On another I barely talked to anyone and just read and relaxed the whole time. I did a last minute Norway cruise solo two years ago. I wondered how taking a big cruise would be by myself. It turned out to be amazing. I got to explore and do everything I wanted with no holdups, etc .

Cruising solo is the only time I choose set dining times. I always pick a big table at late dining. Carnival is the best at trying to put other solos together. It is a good place to meet people. Other then that, do whatever you want. That is the beauty of it.

Cruising alone is just fine. I took 2 solo cruises last year, 1 in Nov and then another one in Dec, 4 weeks later. No worries. Great time on both of them.

I had concerns the first time not knowing what to expect of the solo experience. But I was on another solo 4 weeks later, so that is telling.

The 1st one was an 8 night cruise from San Juan to Miami. I didn't want it to end. I met so many people and still communicate with some of them. Take along business/personal cards with your phone number and e-mail address if you have them. If not, vistaprints.com has some deals. I got 500 for 15.00 including delivery.

Talk to people and get out of the cabin. This will probably not be your last solo cruise. Also Carnival does a great job putting solo travelers together in the main dining room. Get the assigned dining if you can.

Happy sailing as a new solo. Great times.

Jeff

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

I have been on at least 20 cruises alone and have never had any problems whatsover. I find your comment to be a bit dramatic. The issues you brought up happen every day, not just on a cruise ship and women handle them . So, no, I am not joking about your joking.

Then why are these issues brought up over and over in the solo threads of Cruise Critic?

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to look there yet. And yes, sexism exists on cruises and in every day life, and some women deal with it and others are still learning how. That is the purpose of the threads: to spread knowledge, not to deny reality.

Regret sailing solo? Nope, never. It is the only way i cruise:D:):D and

I have been cruising on my own for over 12 years. I have been on over

40 cruises and I am going again in November.

Tips? See if there is a roll call started for your cruise. It is a nice way

to meet other folks.

The only thing I would regret is only cruising for 4 days;)...way too

short for me.

Then why are these issues brought up over and over in the solo threads of Cruise Critic?

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to look there yet. And yes, sexism exists on cruises and in every day life, and some women deal with it and others are still learning how. That is the purpose of the threads: to spread knowledge, not to deny reality.

If you feel the purpose of the boards are to spread knowledge why are you so defensive about a reply to your comment? Not helping OP one bit. You indicated that you are male so I am not sure what makes you feel that you are an expert on something you cannot possible relate to.

I've never heard anyone concerned about the issues you mentioned on any of the cruises I've been on, or from the solo female passengers I've talked to. Well, no more than it may concern them on land......if it concerns them at all. Yes, I read the Solo Cruisers forum regularly, and I rarely see any threads about safety, or about being hit or or ignored. Perhaps you're thinking about the Singles Cruisers?

Thanks all for the replies so far. I am single but I am not cruising single. I'm definitely cruising solo. The reason I chose to book a solo is because for a couple of reasons. One is I do everything alone anyway. On all 4 cruises, my friends slept all day and/or pooled all day. Which is great for them and I never minded going off and doing activities alone either. So it has never been an issue. :) I met a girl on my last cruise that was cruising solo and it really got me thinking.....

So that's the first reason. The second reason is my birthday is on Valentine's day and when I'm not in a relationship I end up spending the day alone any way. I figured why not cruise on my birthdaaaaaaaay?! How awesome will this be???? Even if I do enter a relationship before this cruise, it still doesn't sound bad to me.

I just wondered if I will regret it, still have a good experience, need any tips, things like that.. :)

Birthday cruises are the best birthday presents one can give themselves - going on my 2nd one at the end of November for my December birthday for 12 days and next year is 3 weeks. :D My only regrets was not doing it sooner and making the 1st one too short (it was 7 quick days:( - but at least, I got to do 2 week-long cruises last year :p)

The only advice I can truly give you is the same advice when traveling by yourself anyway to any land vacations - pay attention to your surroundings, look at the time so you don't lose track of it, mind your manners, and enjoy your trip! You're going to find that you're going to like cruising by yourself - no other person to schedule around or to please; have any entire room and bathroom to yourself, don't have to share closet or storage space, can awake up at anytime with no bothering you or you bothering them - you do what you want to do without compromising and that is a wonderful feeling. Enjoy!!

Depends on the ship and time of year - I like both my trips last year, but my NCL Breakaway trip was a vast improvement over my Carnival Splendor. Why? Because I also had to deal with both sexism AND racism on Carnival due to some passengers being naively rude and I guess plain dumb (giving benefit of the doubt here), while I didn't have to deal with any of that on NCL. Honest to goodness, I'm a exception to that rule of just wanting to being ignored because for some reason certain people like to say rude things to me all the time to my face when I'm by myself enjoying whatever and when I dish it back, they get all shock and upset that i said that. Sad to say, but NCL passengers are step up from Carnival's due to the wallet / purse strings - who would had thought that specialty restaurants, high fares, and high DSC would rid of certain people with that mentality......:confused::eek:

Do all people go through that with all lines while traveling solo? No, No not at all - the same general advice of traveling solo land also applies, pay attention, be polite and if need be, stand your ground when someone says something rude to you. That's all. Least be honest - does the discussion regarding sexism and racism happen on Cruise Critic all the time? No, because 1) not alot people on Cruise Critic anyway and 2)who can tell the color of person's skin or if they have a ball or canal between their legs from their writing.:rolleyes:

edit - No offense, you remind me of those Carnival passengers that when they realize they said the wrong thing to the wrong person(s), they want to explain themselves even further but all they did was dig deeper hole for themselves instead of just shutting up or "Sorry, didn't mean for you to take it that way".SMH.

Edited by maywell