Free things to do

milliesimmons

beach access is free

snorkeling is free if you have your own gear ... and can be rented for $10 ...

shopping is free

I believe there is no charge to visit Hell .... they make their $ via the gift shop

The bus is $2.50 pp...all beaches are public, and there are chair/umbrella rentals at the access points. Restrooms and food/drink are scattered up and down the beach.

Shopping is easy walking distance from the tender port.

Bear in mind that GC is EXPENSIVE...so be prepared for higher than normal prices for food and such!

Edited by cb at sea

you can hang out at Sunset House "for free"

if you buy drinks and/or lunch they are normally OK with you using their pool, loungers etc. It is a good place for snorkeling and the dive shop will rent a set of gear for $10. there are restrooms and an outside shower. But no "beach" ... this is Iron Shore area. If new to snorkeling their "sea pool" is a protected starting area.

I walk from town ... it is about 3/4 mile and some have mentioned there are sidewalks only part of the way. But having walked it dozens of times, often at night, I'd walk it again today, perfectly safe IME. If you prefer a taxi, every taxi driver knows where Sunset House and "My Bar" is

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

pictures, menus, dive shop prices and more . . .

100_0128_zpsf3a4d823.jpg

looking from the pool at Sunset to the ships anchored off GeorgeTown.

100_0110_zps8c14384e.jpg

sample view of the grounds

100_0097_zpscd948af3.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

Are there any things which you can do for free here. I don't mind paying for a taxi to get to the place but I want to keep the cost as minimal as possible. Thank you!

You could take a taxi ( $4 per person each way USD) or a bus van ( $2.50 US per person each way) to the public beach on Seven Mile called Seagrapes. There is no entrance fee for the beach here.

There is a little beach bar called Calico Jack's right there at the public beach and if you buy a drink or food, you can sit at their picnic tables on the beach.

Also, there are these wonderful little covered roof "huts" with benches at Seagrapes public beach , which are first come, first serve for free.

Yes agree with Eden Rock for snorkeling. For cheap beach time at Seagrapes grab some drinks, sandwiches and a cooler in town and taxi to a public access for SMB and chill anywhere. Across from the Comfort Suites and Mariott is Coconut Joe's, a fun spot and they usually have drink specials. You can use the beach at Royal Palms for free then walk to Cocoonut Joe's before taxiing back to town.

Edited by blue_water

Yes agree with Eden Rock for snorkeling. For cheap beach time at Seagrapes grab some drinks, sandwiches and a cooler in town and taxi to a public access for SMB and chill anywhere. Across from the Comfort Suites and Mariott is Coconut Joe's, a fun spot and they usually have drink specials. You can use the beach at Royal Palms for free then walk to Cocoonut Joe's before taxiing back to town.

Just keep in mind that you can't take outside food or drinks to Royal Palms or any of the hotels, and you can't use their facilities (showers, restrooms, etc.) without paying the Royal Palms $2pp entry fee or buying a hotel day pass.

Outside food/drinks are welcome at Governors Beach, Cemetery Beach, Public Beach (Seagrape) or any of the other access points that don't involve a beach club, condo or hotel. Public Beach is the only one of those spots with facilities available.

Beaches are technically only public/free up to the high water mark, so setting up in front of the Marriott or Royal Palms with your cooler and gear may not work out very well... :-(

Yes the beach (and facilities) at any resort or beach club are private except at the high water mark.

Has the beach been reclaimed at the Marriott and Comfort Suites? It was almost entirely gone a couple years ago if memory serves and was scheduled to be reclaimed.

• 3 weeks later...
We have walked to and enjoyed Sunset House, recommended above; we have also done a free self-guided walking tour of the town.

Would someone please provide walking directions to Sunset House? I've never been and would like to visit. Plus, we like to walk outdoors if the weather is permitting.

Fun in the sun

Really easy when you get out of the cruise port turn right and start walking Sunset house will be on the right hand side. Its very walkable but will seem farther than a mile. Just keep walking its a great place. We will be there Sept 21

Fun in the sun

Really easy when you get out of the cruise port turn right and start walking Sunset house will be on the right hand side. Its very walkable but will seem farther than a mile. Just keep walking its a great place. We will be there Sept 21

Thank you for your reply. I will be there on the 16th!

We have been to smiths cove to snorkel and walked back to town. Wonderful quiet place but not sure we want to walk that far this time. So we can get a taxi to sunset house and for food and drink feel comfortable using their pool and can snorkel with our own gear from there? They are ok with that?

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to smiths cove to snorkel and walked back to town. Wonderful quiet place but not sure we want to walk that far this time. So we can get a taxi to sunset house and for food and drink feel comfortable using their pool and can snorkel with our own gear from there? They are ok with that?

We were told the freshwater pool was for hotel guests only. We used the 'ocean pool' which I loved so that was fine. Unfortunately, the day we were there the ocean outside the 'rock pool area' was way too rough for snorkeling. Still very much enjoyed our quiet day when we where there. Used wifi and had a couple of beers each. 3 ships in port and we were the only cruisers that afternoon. Walked both ways with no difficulty.

We were told the freshwater pool was for hotel guests only. We used the 'ocean pool' which I loved so that was fine. Unfortunately, the day we were there the ocean outside the 'rock pool area' was way too rough for snorkeling. Still very much enjoyed our quiet day when we where there. Used wifi and had a couple of beers each. 3 ships in port and we were the only cruisers that afternoon. Walked both ways with no difficulty.

I guess it must depend on the number of guests - or who you ask? When we visited I asked if I could use the pool and they said, no problem!

I guess it must depend on the number of guests - or who you ask? When we visited I asked if I could use the pool and they said, no problem!

concur ..... they have no written rule and don't sell a day pass .... When they are BUSY, and they can be at times, can't blame them for saying no

I think there is an element of timing and who you ask. Walk up cold to the hotel front desk and ask to use the pool and probably get a cold shoulder. Rent some snorkel gear and play around with that then have lunch at the bar and then when ordering another round of CayBrew ask barstaff, "hey, is it OK if we hang in the pool for a bit?" Probably a different answer!