Captain Albert's blog and Veendam.

jakkojakko

While still in dry dock in Phila (Tuesday 10 AM Eastern time), AiS for Veendam now shows Boston as destination with arrival on Oct 17th at 19:30 hours. I suspect there will be an unusually large number of new stores to be loaded prior to resuming her schedule; seems more practical that that would be done in Boston rather than prior to departure from Phila.

Edited by Dave in NJ

While still in dry dock in Phila (Tuesday 10 AM Eastern time), AiS for Veendam now shows Boston as destination with arrival on Oct 17th at 19:30 hours. I suspect there will be an unusually large number of new stores to be loaded prior to resuming her schedule; seems more practical that that would be done in Boston rather than prior to departure from Phila.

Thank you for posting the info about arrival into Boston!

By "new stores" do you mean food supplies? I hope everything will be fresh after all this time. ;)

I think that's 19:30 UTC which should be 15:30 Boston time.

Roy

I think that's 19:30 UTC which should be 15:30 Boston time.

Roy

Has anyone calculated when the Veendam has to leave Philly to make it to Boston "on time?"

Thank you for posting the info about arrival into Boston!

By "new stores" do you mean food supplies? I hope everything will be fresh after all this time. ;)

You are right -- I never thought about the food supplies.

I imagine that a lot of food has to be thrown out considering how many days passengers haven't been on the ship.

Fingers crossed they can finish the work on Veendam and she can arrive in Boston as initially scheduled.

Yes, they will have to do a 'big load' of fresh food. Boston has no shortage of suppliers so there should be no issue about that except possibly a late sailaway depending how long it takes to load it all.

Bunkering fuel will be the biggest time-taker. It'll take many hours to refill her, they'll likely start the evening they arrive and it'll still take much of the next day.

A number of years ago, I worked on tank ships and one of our routes was taking fuel oil, diesel, and gasoline to Boston. Lovely terminal in Chelsea.:eek: We always avoided bunkering in Boston as it is expensive there compared to Southern ports. I suspect she will take on what is needed to get to FLL and then fill up at the fuel center there in Port Everglades. Of course, we are all just speculating here but I am betting on her getting back on schedule. She better! She needs to show up in good running condition December 20th in San Diego so we can board.:D:D

I have been checking AIS every few hours, no movement yet but I'd expect her to be leaving Phila late tonight or early tomorrow to make the previously announced arrival at Boston at 19:00 UTC on the 17th. When she departs Phila I'll post that info unless someone else beats me to it.

Edited by Dave in NJ

I have been checking AIS every few hours, no movement yet but I'd expect her to be leaving Phila late tonight or early tomorrow to make the previously announced arrival at Boston at 19:00 UTC on the 17th. When she departs Phila I'll post that info unless someone else beats me to it.

Thanks, Dave.

We're counting on you. :)

Thank you - thank you - thank you!

Am I getting my birthday wish right on time? Just checked and it is showing 0.1k...could she be starting the move out of dry dock?

Happy birthday. I see 0 knots but the Tug Boat Tim Mcallister next to the Veendam looks like a very positive sign.

Roy

Glad to hear this! I hope they have resolved the issues. When we went on the Veendam in 2007, it had engine issues the two cruises before ours. Fortunately it was fixed and ours was fine. We have a 35 day one coming up in remote waters a lot of the time next summer. I am really glad this didn't happen on this year's Voyage of the Vikings. A lot further away from assistance and airports in Greenland!