can husband and child board without me?

Hi all!

You give such great advice and I need some.

On Saturday my husband, 3 year-old daughter and I are sailing on Vision, departing Fort Lauderdale at 4:30pm. As luck would have it, I have to teach an internet class until 1:30pm. My husband of course is eager to get on the boat, have lunch, etc. We are in separate cabins under separate reservations: him in one and she and I in the other. The reservations are linked for dining.

Is there anything I can do in advance to allow him to board earlier with her, without me there?

Thanks!

Switch your and your husbands reservations.

i.e. - he and your daughter in one cabin and you in the other. That way, they can board whether you're there or not.

Otherwise, they may allow him on but not her, as the adult in her cabin is not present.

Edited by Calgon1

Switch your and your husbands reservations.

i.e. - he and your daughter in one cabin and you in the other. That way, they can board whether you're there or not.

Otherwise, they may allow him on but not her, as the adult in her cabin is not present.

Thank you! Is there a way to do that online?

Your husband will be allowed on regardless as he will have his own SetSail Pass...You will need to call RCI directly about what change you can make to ensure your daughter can board early without you.

I would call and talk to them. My friend and her DD were boarding w/o her husband and they asked for a notarized letter from the father giving permission to travel w/o him. I know your husband and DD aren't traveling w/o you but RCI doesn't know that you're showing up. I believe in being safe rather than sorry. Please call them.

Unfortunately not on line.

You will need to call.

Not sure but you may run into issues if you are trying to switch names around.

One person from the origional reservation needs to remain so you can't just switch the adults. Their wonderful computer system will automatically reprice at today's rates. I also worry that moving the child from one room to another could cause them to re price the rate for her.

The only way to know for sure is to call.

I would call and talk to them. My friend and her DD were boarding w/o her husband and they asked for a notarized letter from the father giving permission to travel w/o him. I know your husband and DD aren't traveling w/o you but RCI doesn't know that you're showing up. I believe in being safe rather than sorry. Please call them.

This.

Have you already filled out your online check in info?

If not, there is an option on the form to "claim" a minor on another reservation. Simply have your husband put your daughter on his reservation.

(I did this last year - sort of.) My wife and I were in one room, and my step-kids were in another. (ages 25, 14,15)

I had zero problem adding the 2 younger ones to our checkin, and left the older one to check in himself.

Aloha,

John

If not, there is an option on the form to "claim" a minor on another reservation. Simply have your husband put your daughter on his reservation.

(I did this last year - sort of.) My wife and I were in one room, and my step-kids were in another. (ages 25, 14,15)

I had zero problem adding the 2 younger ones to our checkin, and left the older one to check in himself.

Aloha,

John

Yes, I have, but I may go back in and see if I can change this. Otherwise, this sounds complex enough that we may all just go together.

Thanks again!

This may be easier than you think. Get to the port early and check-in together. Everyone will get their keys at that time, and can board anytime after this till all aboard (even individually, as well as leave the ship after boarding). You husband can stay and board separately with your daughter, you can leave, teach your class, and come back later to board on your own (just make sure you are back by all aboard).

This may be easier than you think. Get to the port early and check-in together. Everyone will get their keys at that time, and can board anytime after this till all aboard (even individually, as well as leave the ship after boarding). You husband can stay and board separately with your daughter, you can leave, teach your class, and come back later to board on your own (just make sure you are back by all aboard).

Thanks! I did think of this, but class is 10:30 to 1:30pm and it appears that we can't check in until about 11am or later for a 4:30pm departure. Does that sound about right?

Thanks! I did think of this, but class is 10:30 to 1:30pm and it appears that we can't check in until about 11am or later for a 4:30pm departure. Does that sound about right?

Different piers have different rules or operations, but boarding typically starts at 11a, check-in will start well before this. You might contact RCI and find out what time check-in for your cruise starts (though if it is 10a or later, you probably still need an alternative).

Aloha,

John

This would trigger a re-fare.

This would trigger a re-fare.

Reread what I said.... I did not change any one's reservation... There is an option to "claim" minors on another reservation # during online check in.

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
typo

Everyone, thank you so much. I'll tell you what I have decided to do. You can tell me if you see any problems with this.

I co-teach this class so I only need to teach half. The second half I monitor an online chat box (although I do need to be ready to take over if my co-instructor loses internet).

From 10:30am-noon I will teach my half at the hotel. At noon I will switch to wireless transmitting from my iPhone and get on the shuttle. I'll go through security and check-in while listening to the second half of class and monitoring chat (I'll have to drop off briefly during the metal detector but that's not a big deal).

The only issue will be if the check-in area at Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) does not have good cell coverage. If anyone is aware of this, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help!

Everyone, thank you so much. I'll tell you what I have decided to do. You can tell me if you see any problems with this.

I co-teach this class so I only need to teach half. The second half I monitor an online chat box (although I do need to be ready to take over if my co-instructor loses internet).

From 10:30am-noon I will teach my half at the hotel. At noon I will switch to wireless transmitting from my iPhone and get on the shuttle. I'll go through security and check-in while listening to the second half of class and monitoring chat (I'll have to drop off briefly during the metal detector but that's not a big deal).

The only issue will be if the check-in area at Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) does not have good cell coverage. If anyone is aware of this, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help!

I think this is a great plan!!! Good luck to you!

For what ever reason, the pier had "No cell phone use" signs in the pier building used for check in and waiting when I boarded for my Princess cruise last week in Fort Lauderdale. The ban was being enforced.

I suspect that this is a port security requirement and not Princess as the signs were a permanent mount and the piers are used for different ships depending on need.

This may be a problem if you plan on using your phone and have to wait for anytime before boarding.

For what ever reason, the pier had "No cell phone use" signs in the pier building used for check in and waiting when I boarded for my Princess cruise last week in Fort Lauderdale. The ban was being enforced.

I suspect that this is a port security requirement and not Princess as the signs were a permanent mount and the piers are used for different ships depending on need.

This may be a problem if you plan on using your phone and have to wait for anytime before boarding.

Whoa, thank you for this information!

Here's the current plan--I called RC and it has been documented that my husband can board with my daughter. They will shuttle over at noon. I'll come at 1pm. Hopefully all will go smoothly for everyone.

I will update but thanks again, all!